Space difficulty increased

Cindron

While its a basic system that few are satisfied with right now space combat was something I enjoyed tinkering with now and then. Imagine my shock when I took a daily mission and was crushed within a minute. Did I miss an update stating they were increasing the difficulty and second question is why was it increased?

Please I'd rather not hear how amazing you are and how bad I must be. I'm just wondering what happened, I never saw any complaints nor of any exploits but I might have missed something.

Nah, I have noticed that increase. This was a mission below it, I had knocked out multiple times before. This time though the ships suddenly had shields and shot on by when missiles would have dropped them before as they had in previous daily's of this same mission. Caught me so off guard a couple waves nailed me before I got back into combat. Then I hit a star destroyer and only managed to take out half the turrets I usually would have knocked out on first pass.

Now I had just hit 40 and found it's new missions challenging. Do they go back retroactively making the lower level daily's harder when you do hit 40?

Q: How does one get the Level 6 gear besides the GTN? Will any Cybertech be able to make it for others?

You can get the epic quality ship parts via the GTN or as a Cybertech. So yes a Cybertech can make it for others and I did just that for all three of my level 50s. Now I'm curious how space missions suddenly became harder to some and still cake to others? Do the folks that have a hard time have all of the ship upgrades possible at their level? ECM, Powered shield/beams, etc. 'Cause none of these missions are really hard and even before the patch I had guildies get rolled because they lacked parts or didn't use their abilities at the right times. Perhaps someone that is having a hard time could explain where they are having a hard time so we can offer tips?

You can get the epic quality ship parts via the GTN or as a Cybertech. So yes a Cybertech can make it for others and I did just that for all three of my level 50s. Now I'm curious how space missions suddenly became harder to some and still cake to others? Do the folks that have a hard time have all of the ship upgrades possible at their level? ECM, Powered shield/beams, etc. 'Cause none of these missions are really hard and even before the patch I had guildies get rolled because they lacked parts or didn't use their abilities at the right times. Perhaps someone that is having a hard time could explain where they are having a hard time so we can offer tips?

Thanks!

For me, the higher lvl Missions have been impossible, with the exception of the Imperial 'Clouds' assignment; lesser standard for success, and I skip trying for Bonus pts. So when I read of Lvl 6 Upgrades, I now also have a Cybertech in my Legacy family which will provide these to the others when it is possible. Reason I asked is that thus far, any such gear found has a Cybertech prereq, and all will be in need.

I do recall a turning point for me was on the rep-side Drexel Sweep mission... I had a hard time surviving that one and anything beyond it with just the blue G5 upgrades that you purchase from vendors. It was at this point that I finally caved and worked out a deal with a cybertech.

Incidentally, Drexel was also the first mission that I actually had to start thinking about using some of those buffs and weapon/shield toggles... Previously, I just bought my way out of the mission difficulty with the next blue upgrade bolted-on and basically flew every mission without taking my finger off the laser trigger.

Edited by XLJedi

While its a basic system that few are satisfied with right now space combat was something I enjoyed tinkering with now and then. Imagine my shock when I took a daily mission and was crushed within a minute. Did I miss an update stating they were increasing the difficulty and second question is why was it increased?

Please I'd rather not hear how amazing you are and how bad I must be. I'm just wondering what happened, I never saw any complaints nor of any exploits but I might have missed something.

Yeah, it's the second time I've seen a version of this thread, but agree. The later space missions just aren't enjoyable to me. Have Level 5 everything an an EMP - still hard.

Edited by GreySix

I found the same thing to be true. I was going to add space missions as part of my daily/weekly Illum/Corellia dailies and found that I was getting my butt handed to be very quickly in space. I've been doing the space missions all along as I leveled but it's now just ridiculous. I upgraded all of my ship equipment to be epic versions and even bought the extra equipment to try and get an edge so I could last longer but it was to no avail.

I used to run space missions as a break from the regular leveling process but it's now horribly frustrating so I don't even bother anymore. It's like I hit a wall or something.

You need to switch power to your shields and recharge them whenever you can. It's all easy.

Not sure how to manually do that, but my ship's shields do regenerate - until I'm hit by a hailstorm of laser cannon bolts from enemy ships coming right at me that I can't dodge, thanks to the rail system. Usually the one in the asteroid field kicks my behind.

Edited by GreySix

I used to run space missions as a break from the regular leveling process but it's now horribly frustrating so I don't even bother anymore. It's like I hit a wall or something.

I have to ask... are you guys toggling your laser/shield recharge at all??? ...and you know the shields don't charge unless you take your finger off the laser trigger, right?

Particularly on the Impossible Sector mission there are several (almost obvious) lulls in the battle that I believe are designed to be shield recharge opportunities.

I don't consider myself to be any sort of joystick genius, and to me, these missions are far from impossible. Now granted, with all blue G5 armaments I was getting my butt handed to me! ...but with mostly purple stuff in place (all except Armor and Shield Recharge) I can win at least 9/10 attempts without too much difficulty.

I'm just curious what people are missing?

Not sure how to manually do that, but my ship's shields do regenerate - until I'm hit by a hailstorm of laser cannon bolts from enemy ships coming right at me that I can't dodge, thanks to the rail system. Usually the one in the asteroid field kicks my behind.

OHHH.... well that explains it!

You have to use the invincible shield buff on that one section of Drexel Sweep where they all come at you. Once I figured that out, I started breezing past that one.

You should put all space comms toward buying ship equipment FIRST. ...and the first one you buy allows you to toggle extra power to lasers or shields with the 1-2 keys. You're gonna be dead without that and the invincible shield (is it ECM pod maybe?)

Edited by XLJedi

OHHH.... well that explains it!

You have to use the invincible shield buff on that one section of Drexel Sweep where they all come at you. Once I figured that out, I started breezing past that one.

You should put all space comms toward buying ship equipment FIRST. ...and the first one you buy allows you to toggle extra power to lasers or shields with the 1-2 keys. You're gonna be dead without that and the invincible shield (is it ECM pod maybe?)

Oh, okay. Don't have that. Guess that comes after I hit Level 50 then?

I have to ask... are you guys toggling your laser/shield recharge at all??? ...and you know the shields don't charge unless you take your finger off the laser trigger, right?

What I do :

boost to weapon when fighting, because you don't recharge while fighting

boost to shield when you dont fight. This include no main objectives/bonus to do. For example, for the minefield mission (can't remember the name), you don't have to kill the fighters. It can be worth it to spam space key (evasive maneuvers), don't shoot, and use power to shield.

It can be also worth it to use this technique from time to time to let your shield regenerate. It doesn't take long with the buff.

Particularly on the Impossible Sector mission there are several (almost obvious) lulls in the battle that I believe are designed to be shield recharge opportunities.

I don't consider myself to be any sort of joystick genius, and to me, these missions are far from impossible. Now granted, with all blue G5 armaments I was getting my butt handed to me! ...but with mostly purple stuff in place (all except Armor and Shield Recharge) I can win at least 9/10 attempts without too much difficulty.

I'm just curious what people are missing?

Yes and yes. I'm not an idiot. I've tried the mission many times but as mentioned above the asteroid mission gets me every time. There's one point in the mission where a dozen enemies appear and it's basically impossible to dodge it all AND keep killing things so you don't fail the mission. At higher levels it typically takes several shots to down a fighter which makes it hard to keep up with everything. I've been running the Republic missions and when the Star Destroyer appears in the asteroid field, it tears me a new one quickly and that's with me dodging.

Shield/Laser booster toggle is at 25, ECM (10 seconds invincibility) is at 35, and EMP (Mass damage to everything around you) is 45. You buy them with fleet commendations, not money.

It comes around level 30ish, maybe even lower now. You can barter for it from the spaceship vendor droid on republic/imperial station.

I'm impressed you've been able to complete any missions without this item, it helps a lot.