DarthLightSide

in a 1v1 fight...our poor GS will die 90%+ of the time with equal gear/skill

it's used to be Operatives that I feared...now...the evil Marauder

I'm fairly certain the GS class is just a sick joke played on us by BW

utility...lol

survivability....lol

1v1.....lol

gvg....meh. with guard and heals

pretty sure by looking at the number of posts in all class threads, and the obvisous numbers you don't see in game...we're the most underplayed class in the game...for a reason

..que the /whine :) Maybe we'll get a buff next! :p

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smuggler

General

Charged Burst's damage has been increased by approximately 5%.

Gunslinger

Damage for Aimed Shot, Speed Shot, and Quickdraw has been increased by approximately 5%.

Sharpshooter

Trickshot's damage has been increased by approximately 5%.

Found this for you. If sents and marauds are beating you as a gs then you are doing it wrong/pve spec'd. Stand on an edge>push them+the immobilization(at that point they are at under 50%)>then continue to punish them for challenging you.

equal gear/skill

Apparently not.

Edited by greeblesnort

30sec rendition:

- Kite, don't plant. Keep them at distance. Strafe

- Stick and move. Dont 'turret'

- Don't expect to be able to squat, pop Hunker, and actually survive for very long against any credible melee class

There's definitely a theme in the above. A significant majority of the angst I see/hear coming from GS players directly relates to those player's absence of a mobility mindset. A completely static GS simply does not survive for long in PvP. In fact, turreting paints a neon bulls eye on your forehead.

I went Marksman with my sniper and it solved a lot of the problems.

Two key reasons; Snap shot and followthrough. This because you can do quick jabs at the mara despite moving around. Don't forget smuggler's luck either and keep an eye out for Burst volley.

Both sab and dirty fighting interfers with our CC. A sharpshooter means your legshot will work to its full duration and I always save it for when the mara/sent pops his defencive shield. You should also keep a look out for resolve.

When you've put some distance and feel confident(preferbly after his shield), pop target acquired, stims and adrenals, entrench, and go into full burnout.

If he use his short duration vanish keep hitting target nearest PC and hit him with a legshot and move way.

All good points indeed. I've tried every spec and I do believe SS usually has the best overall outcome as long as everything is timed right....stick and move, stick and move tactics. keep ballistic dampers up by goin in and out of cover etc...but still overall...I just seem to lose against them. As soon as I start doing well, they'll invis...pop out and bash on me some more...or if I do create a little distance they'll time their leap just right and be back on me. I know I know....l2p

But overall, they just seem to have more ways to close and smash than we have to kite n snipe.

...One day I'll be as l33t as you guys and have all the skillz :)

How pray tell do you folks kite a class that has force leap, force camo, and snares that they can keep up 100% of the time? Let's not forget saber ward which deflects 50% of your attacks (including your root), undying rage which they activate at the end, and if you want to nut kick them in order to deal with it, you only have one CC you can use on them, either your knockback or your flashbang.

Do you guys mistake the word kite for "keep at bay" by knocking them back long enough to kill them?

Kiting doesn't exist in this game. You can kill marauders, sure. But kiting doesn't exist unless perhaps you are in the 1-49 bracket or against a completely horrible marauder.

How pray tell do you folks kite a class that has force leap, force camo, and snares that they can keep up 100% of the time? Let's not forget saber ward which deflects 50% of your attacks (including your root), undying rage which they activate at the end, and if you want to nut kick them in order to deal with it, you only have one CC you can use on them, either your knockback or your flashbang.

Do you guys mistake the word kite for "keep at bay" by knocking them back long enough to kill them?

Kiting doesn't exist in this game. You can kill marauders, sure. But kiting doesn't exist unless perhaps you are in the 1-49 bracket or against a completely horrible marauder.

Nice marauder build this 31/31/31 right ?

Psst, they cant charge you in cover. Also, you have two knockbacks, a 12 second cooldown 5 second immobilise, a knockback with an immobilise, a 4 second stun, an 6(8?) second mezz, and immunity to interrupts. Holy **** you must be bad if they kill you.

Psst, they cant charge you in cover. Also, you have two knockbacks, a 12 second cooldown 5 second immobilise, a knockback with an immobilise, a 4 second stun, an 6(8?) second mezz, and immunity to interrupts. Holy **** you must be bad if they kill you.

Two knock backs?? Only if one is talented for the 2nd off Aimed Shot. Which by the way does not work if the target has near 50% resolve. The second one, Pulse Detonator does immobilize them for five seconds provided you do not damage them after two seconds.

The four second stun requires you to be in melee range.

Honestly I swear some poeple just look but not read abilities actually do.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Agree 100% I play on Shii-Cho and I along with many other gunslingers( which I see more of everyday) decimate marauders 1v1. It was weird because you see all the qq about sents/marauders and how many there are but I was in a warzone and we had 4 slingers on our team.

It's called CCs use dirty kick or your flashbang they last long enough for you to get Into cover which means you can legshot them on ther way back to you and you can continue your fire.

Good Marauders are a tough fight, but a Sharpshooter Gunslinger should win out 1 on 1 in a vacuum environment. There will be times where they catch you with certain key abilities on cooldown, in which case you'll be in trouble if you don't find friendly fire and heals to run to. Edited by Arehonn

Do you guys mistake the word kite for "keep at bay" by knocking them back long enough to kill them? Kiting doesn't exist in this game. You can kill marauders, sure. But kiting doesn't exist unless perhaps you are in the 1-49 bracket or against a completely horrible marauder.

L50 GS Sabo build. And 'kite' is appropriate, not 'keep at bay'. Through good timing and appropriate use of interrupts (an oft neglected talent in PvP).

I am taken out by Marauders all the time. In contrast, I take out Marauders all the time. 50/50 proposition. And that ratio bothers me not at all.

For the record: I do not play a Marauder or their mirror.

Nice marauder build this 31/31/31 right ?

Can you point to anything I said that is impossible in any of the specs?

To the person below you, kiting involves moving. Being in cover involves not moving. My question how to kite a class that can force leap if you leave cover, or snare if you don't. If you flashbang and they break it with their trinket, they jump at you while you are trying to get some distance. if you try to root and it is parried, you are in trouble. If you use your knockback or stun, you fill their resolve.

I'm not saying we can't kill them, but I have a feeling that the people bragging about killing them are only fighting undergeared or horrible marauders. A decent marauder will always be able to stay in melee range. They are given the tools to do so. Bioware made sure they are capable of actually doing their damage, otherwise they would be the least played and useless class.

Simply put, if you say you are capable of kiting an equally skilled and geared marauder, your argument is also that Bioware has completely ruined class balance in negating the usefulness of melee. We all know that's not true. A marauder is able to get to you if they know how. Kiting only works on less skilled individuals.

Edited by ZDProletariat

Dear TS,

you just have no ideas what you're whining about. Try commando and feel the pain with his only pushback, cryonade and sup casting 2 seconds. AND everyone can charge in you what i can't say about Gslingers. Now i play one and feel how awesome the class is with his double pushback, INSTA flashnade, ballskick, legshot, 20 secs OMG immune to ALL CCing sh**, Dodge, Screen and my cybernades. DAMN, you got to be kidding whining about something. I can only say the words i hate: LEARN TO PLAY NUBB. Sorry :)

Sniper here - but yeah, close enough to Gunslingers to feel that I can post on this thread.

I got pretty much a Love\Hate relationship with Sentinels and Marauders.

The ones I truly hate: The good players. Those are the ones who kill me. Sometimes I barely have any reaction from the moment I'm tagged till I'm dead.

On the other side.. FOTM players: Those are fun to play against. Some require some "kiting". Other just get beaten by me placing myself in "Turret-Mode".

I'm honestly more harassed by Assassin\Shadow Tanks than by Marauders, to be honest.

If a GS lose 1v1 to a Marauder, that is normal. This game is not balanced on 1v1 and Sentinel/Marauder is better 1v1 class than GS/Sniper.

Lets see what Watchman Sentinel/Marauder can do:

Saber ward

Rebuke

Force Camo

Zenstrike heal

Guard by the force

-90% Accuracy for 6 sec(forgot the name)

PVP and normal Medic pack(possibly even biochem version)

Leg slash

AOE Fear

Choke

Do you honestly think a GS can kill a Marauder with all those CD? And don't kid yourself saying how skillful that you can kite them. If any Marauder is being kite, than hes a bad Marauder. We are talking about equal skill/gear here.

My point is not that GS is weak. GS is a strong PVP class but complaining about not being able to 1v1 Marauder is just petty/pointless. GS/sniper can eat sage/sorc like a breakfast. Should they complain about not able to kill us 1v1?

Do you die alot in WZ?

If you die in WZ with any defensive cd/medpack cd still up, than its your fault.

If you die in WZ next to a tank but without guard on you, than its tank's fault.

If you die in WZ when healer still have ammo/force/energy, than its healer's fault.

Stop being so hard on yourself, everyone dies even Shadow tank. Your job is to brust down enemy healer/squish dps. Next time if a Marauder is beating on you, yell at your tank/healer.

In my case I defeat marauders 1vs1 pretty much 100% of the time. Let's start by asking what spec you are - because each one has a different way of dealing with the marauder.

Sharpshooter - leg shot then hammer them with your opener. Knockback when they start ravage (faster the better). When they get close again, hit them with diversion to reduce their accuracy and pop dodge. When dodge is up pop defensive screen. When they use their immunity cooldown dirty kick for the stun and back up. Finally reopen and finish with an aimed shot to root them for a sabo charge/smugglers luck/charged bolts combo.

Saboteur - Drop AOE's on yourself and burst them down with shock charge, vital, sabo, speed shot. If they camo off use detonate. If they pop invuln cooldown dirty kick and re-dot. Kite if needed with leg shot and shock charge -30% movement to pop a medpack and get some range for aimed shot. While kiting hit them with quick shot (its free if you talent it). Use defensive screen and detonate with a second defensive screen if you're having issues with surviving.

Dirty fighting - Dot them up, leg shot while they're at ranged and burst them down only when they start to reach half health. If they do get off their survival cooldown dirty kick and knockback. If you talented for flash bang accuracy debuff pop it on them during their ravage.

Equivalent gear I always beat marauders on my server. You have defenses too like scrambling field, defensive screen and dodge that actually work decently against a marauder and you have roots and knockbacks. Use them to your advantage and burst them down.

Edited by dcgregorya

Thx for all the constructive tips all :) As far as my spec I'm currently DF but have tried all specs pre 1.2 and all except Sabo post 1.2 full BM gear 75+ valor and a few War Hero pieces.

Like a few people have said. GS should win most if not all the time against a Mara, and honestly I do whoop up on em pretty good in WZ's, especially if I get a good jump on em. I can use all the needed tactics to kite, KB, snare, root etc...while Dot'n them up then laying it down with a FFB, sabo charge, wounding shots after they're debuffed/dot'd to the max. I'm actually usually in the top 3 in most WZ's with 12+ medals and usually the only Gunslinger or even smuggler for that matter in the group.

And yes, I can accept a loss to a mara when they already have full resolve and my CD's are already up...there's just not much a GS can do in that instance besides hope a tank will toss a guard on you and help you weather the storm :)

Should we be able to win 1v1 in a true vacuum duel? equal everything....yes on paper we absolutely should. BUT it just doesn't seem to go that way. I'm sure everyone who says "I beat mara's 100% of the time" are possibly exaggurating a tiny winy bit, but overall they are sure that mara's overall don't give them any problems. And I'm sure they don't when they get the jump on a Mara....BUT when you get blindsided by a good Mara there seems to be a little more tools in their toolbox to stay on me than I have to keep em off me, and I'm pretty much toast (overall 1v1 fight, neither have heals or guards) they win.

When I duel Mara's or Sents I can beat a few of them...especially the undergeared FOTM ones. But the good ones....that's another story, I basically get melted into a puddle of Space GOO

Overall I still love my Gunslinger, and don't intend to shelf him anytime soon.

And to the people who can't resist to post their "L2P you N00b" etc... comments.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a vid of you decimating a mara/sent on your L33t GS/Sniper :) (you killing a level 20 mara with your level 49 GS doesn't count either) :D

Have a nice day!

In a normal WZ you will be fighting multiple people.

Stay in cover so the sent can't jump to you. Attack him before he gets to you. If he does, leg shot and run to cover, your leg shot has an even or shorter cool down than his leap. If he makes it to you again use your flash or nutt kick.

Save your knock back in case he uses force camo offensively. In a normal WZ fight if you do this a few times and run him across the face of your allys he will most likely never come at you again.

I main a 50 sent and have been leveling a slinger. A good slinger makes me pay for every blow I land and if its a group fight and they are kiting me right i get forced to switch targets or others start hitting me as well. In a 1v1 flat surface and all cds are up, ya I feel I would win 1v1 but when exactly does that situation happen? If your getting stomped by sentinels you are taking way to long to start moving or u are Backwalking