The SWTOR hate.

Rayla_Felana

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'll chime in here on the FPS issue. Firstly I run a 2 year old high end and I have no problems.

What I will say is that the ISP throttle different types of transfer. When I was playing LOTRO a few of my guild were with a uk ISP called Tiscali, they were getting such bad connection issues that even chat wouldn't work. They would be using the same level of PC as the rest of us. They would also get good results on speed tests and no problems with Youtube streaming, it was just LOTRO...also other MMO's worked fine.

It turned out that Tiscali throttled P2P networks and it just so happened that LOTRO used a P2P network to transfer it's data. They all moved ISPs and had no problems at all.

Now I'm not saying this is what's happening with TOR but it might be worth looking into if you are having problems.

Think I'll chime in here on the FPS issue. Firstly I run a 2 year old high end and I have no problems.

What I will say is that the ISP throttle different types of transfer. When I was playing LOTRO a few of my guild were with a uk ISP called Tiscali, they were getting such bad connection issues that even chat wouldn't work. They would be using the same level of PC as the rest of us. They would also get good results on speed tests and no problems with Youtube streaming, it was just LOTRO...also other MMO's worked fine.

It turned out that Tiscali throttled P2P networks and it just so happened that LOTRO used a P2P network to transfer it's data. They all moved ISPs and had no problems at all.

Now I'm not saying this is what's happening with TOR but it might be worth looking into if you are having problems.

A far better worded version of my own point, this.

Yes they will They also have a very active very nasty mean spirited beta forum for us regular beta testers

Oh wow. That's a "recent" change in business strategy. Wondered what prompted them to go that route. Even Pardo was praising them last year for doing it and claimed if he had to do it all over again he'd have not gone for forums with Blizzard.

Well, good luck to them with that. Think they are going to have their original thoughts very much confirmed.

Just FYI this game is very processor dependent. IF you are playing on a laptop you will most likely have to play on low settings to get good FPS. If on a desktop you def need a i52500k i72600k min just to have a 40= fps on high with a GTX480.

with my i7 2700k, and gtx 560 with a dedicated solidstate drive i run 60+

Good point. I have a I7 2600 and a not super duper Radeon 6850 and I can get 60+ fps with all settings maxed out. I think the game is too CPU intensive it appears. I can play Rift with max settings and the game looks bloody awesome! And no slow downs around large crowds in Rift. Rift actaully has good AA..not the low AA TOR has even when set to high. And shadows?....Rift blows TOR out of the water there.

Oh wow. That's a "recent" change in business strategy. Wondered what prompted them to go that route. Even Pardo was praising them last year for doing it and claimed if he had to do it all over again he'd have not gone for forums with Blizzard.

Well, good luck to them with that. Think they are going to have their original thoughts very much confirmed.

I heard they do it because of the assertions that they were hands off with their community....they are already regretting it; the insults they hurl at Mike O'Brian on the beta forums are shameful.

Ho boy.

Ok, when a game needs people to make vids about "why there is swtor hate" and people need to make constant posts on forums to try and defend the game for the better... you know the game is horrible.

Newsflash buddy, a good game doesn't need 50k vids and fanboys to try and justify its greatness.

EDIT: btw, the sole reason that still many people play this is because of the nice leveling up. You get constant hate from a constant flow of new people reaching the level of boredom that you get when you've been 50 too long and don't care about anymore alts.

Edited by Zolexus

Again, why is SWTOR an exception compared to all the other modern MMOs out there in the market?

I seriously doubt SWTOR demands higher bandwidth than all other games and therefore it's causing performance issues.

So what am I supposed to do to run a Direct 9x game PROPERLY in World PVP.

i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz

GTX 680

100/100 internet connection with a super-speedy ISP?

It doesn't sound right.

Well let me put it this way, BioWare did not design this game with framerate in mind, this is very clear from the get go, you find particle effects and all sorts of bottleneckers everywhere in this game, the best way to put it would be, turn off everything, put the game as low as possible and it will run like a beauty, but look like Hillary Clinton's face.

The Bottlenecking isn't coming from the game in particular, it is that the graphical demand in transfer rate, is through the roof with SWTOR and Aion and others, and the Bandwidth will be clogged into high heaven.

Good point. I have a I7 2600 and a not super duper Radeon 6850 and I can get 60+ fps with all settings maxed out. I think the game is too CPU intensive it appears. I can play Rift with max settings and the game looks bloody awesome! And no slow downs around large crowds in Rift. Rift actaully has good AA..not the low AA TOR has even when set to high. And shadows?....Rift blows TOR out of the water there.

Good point. On my three-year-old MacBook Pro running Windows XP from Boot Camp, I have to run low settings on everything to see smooth gameplay.

On my Mac Pro running Windows 7 from Boot Camp, settings are maxed out and gameplay is as smooth as glass.

Ho boy.

Ok, when a game needs people to make vids about "why there is swtor hate" and people need to make constant posts on forums to try and defend the game for the better... you know the game is horrible.

Newsflash buddy, a good game doesn't need 50k vids and fanboys to try and justify its greatness.

Nor dose Anet need a Zealot brigade teling us how GW2 is going to destroy TOR :rolleyes:

Ho boy.

You should go tell WoW that.

Speaking of WoW..... At least the trolls get to speak their voice on the SWTOR forums. Over at Blizz forums they usually delete hate and troll threads quicker than a person can hit reply after reading one.

Edited by Holden_Dissent

Which basically says nothing. The question is are there pay to win things or just convinience and costmetic stuff?

Well, if the game is "free to play" then the company has to make money somehow other than just sales of the game itself, and my guess is that GW isn't Second Life or The Sims, where winning is meaningless. Thus logically, the "paid for" gear would have to do something other than look cool.

Edited by GreySix

Depends what you call pay to win are XP boost pay to win? Are crafting Boost?

Let's not beat around the bush, don't have money to smoke? don't play Aion, simple.

Whole game is a cash shop, NCSoft is WORSE than EA, Nexon is worse than them both though.

Pray ArenaNet keeps control of GW2, or it'll be dead at birth.

Well, if the game is "free to play" then the company has to make money somehow, and my guess is that GW isn't Second Life or The Sims, where winning is meaningless. Thus logically, the "paid for" gear would have to do something other than look cool.

Gear means next to nothing in GW2...and that in itself is the subject of about twenty hate threads on the beta forums.

Well let me put it this way, BioWare did not design this game with framerate in mind, this is very clear from the get go, you find particle effects and all sorts of bottleneckers everywhere in this game, the best way to put it would be, turn off everything, put the game as low as possible and it will run like a beauty, but look like Hillary Clinton's face.

The Bottlenecking isn't coming from the game in particular, it is that the graphical demand in transfer rate, is through the roof with SWTOR and Aion and others, and the Bandwidth will be clogged into high heaven.

Here is the problem. Customers knows the game engine is a problem.

Bioware, however, blames its customer's having low end computers and dismisses ALL claims of having issues. THEY WILL however help these "low-enders" to also enjoy the game like the rest of us.

THAT's why I hate them.

THAT's why I'm hesitating to resubscribe.

THAT's why this game is sinking.

Their behaviour is despicable and not acceptable.

I consider XP boost as convienience stuff (especially since there it is no issue in GW2 to get levels done anyway). On the crafting boost, that depends on how crucial crafting is and how much pain it is without such a boost.

Pay to win is to me when the item shop has stuff that is better than everything else in the game and cannot be obtained by just playing the game, or it is just hurtful to play the game without spending money.

Edited by Drudenfusz

I consider XP boost as convienience stuff (especially since there it is no issue in GW2 to get levels done anyway). On the crafting boost, that depends on how crucial crafting is and how much pain it is without such a boost.

Pay to win is to me when the item shop has stuff that is better than everything else in the game and cannot be obtained by just playing the game.

Gear means next to nothing in GW2 so there really is no best gear and you can't obtain XP boost or crafting boost by just playing the game and the coolest looking wearables will have to be paid for with real cash.

Here is the problem. Customers knows the game engine is a problem.

Bioware, however, blames its customer's having low end computers and dismisses ALL claims of having issues. THEY WILL however help these "low-enders" to also enjoy the game like the rest of us.

THAT's why I hate them.

THAT's why I'm hesitating to resubscribe.

THAT's why this game is sinking.

Their behaviour is despicable and not acceptable.

The Engine isn't the problem, the engine is fine, the way they designed the game itself is horrid for an MMO, the particles are EVERYWHERE in this game, the design for shading is god awful as well.

I will agree that customer service is horrid to.

I imagine they are working behind the scenes buying every major programmer on earth to fix the design without wrecking the game and sending it back into Beta.

I would say that those are definitely pay to win items. When you can pay to get an edge over people who don't pay, that is pay to win.

I stopped when i saw laptop. Nothing to see here... Move along :csw_trooper:

General FYI I play on a 3.5 year old laptop on high settings using the ram drive fix and have no problems. Gateway fx p7800 upgraded to 8gig ram, But good point.

Edited by Lawmaro
Typo

General FYI I play on a 3.5 year old laptop on high settings using the ram drive fix and have problems. Gateway fx p9800 upgraded to 8gig ram, But good point.

And my wife plays on this, which would blow away many current desktop configurations.

Gear means next to nothing in GW2...and that in itself is the subject of about twenty hate threads on the beta forums.

Oh boy. Sounds like they are having their original reasons for not having forums confirmed. And also finding out that you can only do two things wrong in making a game: 1) do something old, 2) do something new.

Edited by Scar