So it's not even worth it?

whodatdude

I made a Mercenary (Arsenal tree) because I wanted to play a range class and am level 22 now but from everything I'm reading here they are absolutely worthless in PVP which is what I like doing most. Should I even continue this character?

If you like the style you will probably still have fun, but you will never be the best at what you are meant to do. If BH is your choice, level it to max and eventually the nerf bat will hit somebody else and you will have a fotm ready to go.

If you want to play a merc play a merc. The disparities everyone is raising in the forums, are just that, disparities. You can play with these problems and still have fun and they won't particularly affect you severely until you hit end game. Given your current level if you take your time and enjoy the story (which is awesome in my opinion) that would give Bioware ample time to fix the problems, if they ever do. So it's a gamble like any other class.

I play a bounty hunter because i like who that bounty hunter is in the universe. I will never choose a class to level based on how poor or good it's endgame is. If you or others choose to do that, that's cool, to each his own. I hunt, and I enjoy that.:D

Don't put too much faith in the QQ you read on forums for games like this. Most of what you read is just pure QQ and buff lobbying. My experience with MMOs and MMO communities has taught me that things are never as bad as people would have you believe. Maybe they think that if they can discourage enough people from playing the class they want to see buffed, it will be reflected in BW's "metrics" and force a buff for their class? Maybe they just like to cry and feel bad for themselves. Either way, it's a trap. It's probably safer to assume that everyone here is a disingenuous liar with a hidden agenda of some sort. :p

If you enjoy the class, continue on with it. One of the best DPS guys in our raid is an arsenal merc. He's an excellent player and an excellent raider. From what I hear from him ( I actually respect his opinion), things are nowhere near as bad as the forum whiners would have us believe.

Never base your decision on what class to play on things you read on these forums. This is a wretched hive of scum and villainy if ever there was one.

Edited by belialle

It depends on what playstyle you love. if you think that arsenal is now kill or get killet you're out of the way, now arsenal is shoot hide heal, then shoot again hide heal... but you can do also numbers, iesterday i critted 6k on a bm jedy sage,but you hace to play with strategy

You shouldn't base your opinion on the rants people post on forums. Yes we lost alot of damage output with the recent nerfs but we are still viable. You will still be able to top damage and kills in warzones on a consistent basis. You have to realize that there were people complaining on the forums when our HSM was hitting ofr 6k+.

You shouldn't base your opinion on the rants people post on forums. Yes we lost alot of damage output with the recent nerfs but we are still viable. You will still be able to top damage and kills in warzones on a consistent basis. You have to realize that there were people complaining on the forums when our HSM was hitting ofr 6k+.

Kills I agree with but damage it really depends. If I am not noticed during a match and keep moving I can rack up 150-220k damage in a round. Against an equal skilled pre-made my damage drops significantly as they send somebody to focus me and screw up my rotations.

Seriously don't listen to the fanboy Bioware employees posting. I'm a hardcore pvper mercenary War Hero.... They majorly gimped us to no return. Our attacks are slow to commence..... Damage ok... But between the cool downs and the interrupt to start your attack and heat cost.... You will get slaughtered.... You only have one instant heal which is so weak.... Your shield has a 2 minute cool down and only last for a blink of an eye. You'll be lucky to use it twice in one battle zone... You run slower than a sloth so don't try to run and heal any class.... They will be jumping all over the screen. Try to heal yourself but you heals have interrupt and even if you break stun... You have no immunity after.. you'll get stunned again and again and again... Killled killed killed.... Heal youself not your teammates stand 100m from battle and watch.... Hide often... Not like before... Not even remotely when you could tank 3 enemies and heal your teammates.... Die die die....... Retire your bh.... It'll take bioware another 4 months to cone out with a patch... But you might get lucky and get the Ragkoul plague or a free TaunTaun to keep playing. Do they think pc gamers are teenagers? Most of us are adults and could careless about the voice integration missions they spent all their time one. That is for console gamers. Hit space bar hit space bar.... Tired of missions like other MMOs. SWG was the best MMO ever before CU. THEN THEY TRIED TO APPEAL TO KIDS THAT ARE BROKE AND CAN'T AFFORD DIESEL COMPUTERS....

I made a Mercenary (Arsenal tree) because I wanted to play a range class and am level 22 now but from everything I'm reading here they are absolutely worthless in PVP which is what I like doing most. Should I even continue this character?

I'm half war hero lvl 77 valor and id dump my merc in a heartbeat if it didn't take 60hours to lvl an alt. Don't have that kind of time.

Edited by gattiman

If you want to play a merc play a merc. The disparities everyone is raising in the forums, are just that, disparities. You can play with these problems and still have fun and they won't particularly affect you severely until you hit end game. Given your current level if you take your time and enjoy the story (which is awesome in my opinion) that would give Bioware ample time to fix the problems, if they ever do. So it's a gamble like any other class.

I play a bounty hunter because i like who that bounty hunter is in the universe. I will never choose a class to level based on how poor or good it's endgame is. If you or others choose to do that, that's cool, to each his own. I hunt, and I enjoy that.:D

He plays a BH because he likes what tBH stands for in the universe kinda says it all, if you want to actually kill some one in pvp dont roll a BH, if you want to be in game raids dont roll a BH. BW has single handly killed this class in less then 3 months due to all the whinning crying idiots in the game complaining about the tracer missle, yet Snipes basicaly 2 shot BH's in pvp, Sorcs dot you up then chain light you till you die, Mara's forcechoke you and slice and dice you while they heal them selfs for massive amounts of damage while there counterparts on the republic side do basicaly the same. its not disparities its the truth. GG BioWare

I'm half war hero lvl 77 valor and id dump my merc in a heartbeat if it didn't take 60hours to lvl an alt. Don't have that kind of time.

I hear ya. My V90 Merc Pyro remains active for the same reason. But deep inside my heart I know that you and I are only making the problem worse. The only people left playing Merc healers and Merc dps are the better players with good gear. And BW is trying to drive our dps down to the same level as Marauders which are currently dominated by new players in crappy gear.

I hear ya. My V90 Merc Pyro remains active for the same reason. But deep inside my heart I know that you and I are only making the problem worse. The only people left playing Merc healers and Merc dps are the better players with good gear. And BW is trying to drive our dps down to the same level as Marauders which are currently dominated by new players in crappy gear.

If we get nerfed again I will most likely just unsubscribe. Arsenal is a chore to play now and I'm enjoying Pyro. They nerf Pyro I nerf my credit card. I still need to play me3 and finish witcher 2.

Bottom line is, the nerf/buff pendulum swings both ways always. Mercs will rise again. My advice would be, if you like the play style keep at it, you never know what will happen over the next month or so. In my opinion, all trees need reworking not just a little damage buff. Edited by Diddley

If you enjoy pvp as much as you say, your only hope is to take a long time hitting 50 because a fix is nowhere in sight and Mercs are the single worst pvp class in the game's current form. Can you still have fun and play beyond it's considerable limitations? Yes, of course. A good pvper can adapt. But would you perform twice as well using any other class in 1v1, group utility, survival, etc? Every good pvper will tell you yes.

Simply put, Mercs had only one thing going for them pre 1.2 that made them an asset. Savage, sick ranged burst. The tradeoff was no mobility, a cumbersome rotation easily countered by most other classes, easy to kill, etc. Now, after the nerfs, bugs and ninja nerfs we enjoy all of those same penalties to our play style (same cumbersome rotation, even WORSE defenses and utility) yet all our valuable burst was neutered. We do considerably less on-demand damage now than any other dps class on the field.

Pyro can still be fun but you have to play the hell out of it to even remotely compete with facerollers of better tuned classes. And if there's one or two healers who know what they're doing on the opposing team you'll put up big damage numbers on the scoreboard but it is all largely meaningless (too gradual/ramped, dot heavy) and either healed off or cleansed.

Put another way: If I'm feeling nostalgic or bold I'll play my merc. If I want to win I use my juggernaut. They do simply everything better.

Edited by otherworlder

The sad sad truth right here. I need to just bite the bullet and reroll. Fml.

If you enjoy pvp as much as you say, your only hope is to take a long time hitting 50 because a fix is nowhere in sight and Mercs are the single worst pvp class in the game's current form. Can you still have fun and play beyond it's considerable limitations? Yes, of course. A good pvper can adapt. But would you perform twice as well using any other class in 1v1, group utility, survival, etc? Every good pvper will tell you yes.

Simply put, Mercs had only one thing going for them pre 1.2 that made them an asset. Savage, sick ranged burst. The tradeoff was no mobility, a cumbersome rotation easily countered by most other classes, easy to kill, etc. Now, after the nerfs, bugs and ninja nerfs we enjoy all of those same penalties to our play style (same cumbersome rotation, even WORSE defenses and utility) yet all our valuable burst was neutered. We do considerably less on-demand damage now than any other dps class on the field.

Pyro can still be fun but you have to play the hell out of it to even remotely compete with facerollers of better tuned classes. And if there's one or two healers who know what they're doing on the opposing team you'll put up big damage numbers on the scoreboard but it is all largely meaningless (too gradual/ramped, dot heavy) and either healed off or cleansed.

Put another way: If I'm feeling nostalgic or bold I'll play my merc. If I want to win I use my juggernaut. They do simply everything better.

Never base your decision on what class to play on things you read on these forums. This is a wretched hive of scum and villainy if ever there was one.

You just destroyed your own logic, since you posted on these very forums. So basically, you're saying that all of your opinion ,stated earlier, shouldn't be listened to, and is not credible just like all the other posts. Seems like you added a lot to offer to this persons question.

Now for a real answer for you. Play what you want, you pay for the subscription. There is a sea of crying right now for multiple reasons, just most people that refute them, thinking it's only bad players crying, when it's players of all calibers. Just because you have multiple idiots diluting the pool doesn't change the fact that there is a problem.

As far as this guild mate doing higher damage than everyone else, that is completely relative to the rest of his guild's skill, not the class.

Just read the rest of the posts and gather your own opinion, and you decide if it is worth the painstaking effort to play the class. Stick it out and find out if you have the fortitude, some of us do, but most of us don't.

They decimated Mercenaries.

If you really like the Merc class best thing to do is unsub until they're fixed.

Honestly Bioware has terrible CSR, clueless Devs, and the PvP post 1.2 is the worst I've seen in a MMO since the early days of Age of Conan.

If you really enjoy the game an alternative is to play a PT Pyro until Mercs are fixed.

I would probably still be subbed if it wasn't for the terrible attitude and incomprehensible logic of the PvP developers working on SWTOR.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone that plays one of every class.

Edited by TheNinjaboy

Yep, Mercs have real problems. Ive rage quited on my Merc toon often. lvl 45 and im tempted to delete it.

I just cant find the reason why its got heavy armor and feels like he has light armor. My light armor toons take more punishment than these weak mercs.

Unless they fix the Mercs, stay away from them.:mad:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.