The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro or Adv Tech for PvE DPS?

Carandrian

I'm looking at running a dps spec PT within a regular group. But I'm not real familiar with how the two dps trees perform for the PT.

Could anyone with recent experience with either/or both trees provide a little insight into them so I can make an educated decision on a spec?

I thank you in advance for your time and response!

Gonna copy a post of mine from Vanguard forums:

There's no way to really know which is better. Here's the problem with DPS parsing:

There is no "best" class in this game. There simply isn't. There is, however, a best class/spec for any given player. That would be the spec that most closely fits how you like to play, the one that feels most natural and smooth to you.

So if we have someone who is a natural Pyro player who parses both Pyro and AP, he's going to come to the conclusion that Pyro is better. This might be because Pyro really is, but it also might be because the Pyro rotation comes more naturally to him. Even slight rotation problems can lead to significant DPS drops.

The only thing we can say with any surety is that Pyro and AP are reasonably close. Let's say that Pyro was hypothetically better by a small margin (<75 DPS). It would still be better for you to play AP if that's what feels natural to you, because you'll still get better results. You shouldn't be playing a class/spec that feels clunky just because others insist it has better DPS. So don't go by which supposedly has better DPS, go by what feels best when you play it.

The only numbers you can really rely on are numbers that you personally have parsed. Those will take into account your skill and style, so the class that does better for you will (surprise, surprise!) do better.

Edited by Philosomanic

I'm looking at running a dps spec PT within a regular group. But I'm not real familiar with how the two dps trees perform for the PT.

Could anyone with recent experience with either/or both trees provide a little insight into them so I can make an educated decision on a spec?

It really depends on your playstyle. Both take about 2-3 days to really get the hang of them. Personally I perfer AP's in your face play style, but I spent most of my time playing Pyro until the last month. They are relatively close in terms of dps.

Pyro: More Mobile Burst

AP: Easier heat management

That's about the only difference between the two. For Pyro, heat and procs are what you watch for AP it's about watching procs and maximize dps effeciency. Check out my signature there is an AP Guide. I am not sure if there is a Pyro guide. However there are a lot of very good Pyro guys who can help if you have specific questions.

no matter what spec you go , sith sorc kills faster , bounty hunters are broken. severe pain in the *** to shoot a guy in the face with missiles from point blank , he takes no damage.Missiles in the face ,Point blank,No damage. Edited by Tocaseven

no matter what spec you go , sith sorc kills faster , bounty hunters are broken.

Wow, where the hec did that come from. Given that I can often kill 2 Sorcs faster than both can kill me, makes me think you really dont have alot of experience playing a PT. We really are at a very good spot in terms of balance I think.

I personally prefer Pyro for ops and flashpoints due to the great burst and flexibility in range. It's also an easier rotation for me to keep up with. I tried AP for a couple ops pre 1.2 and they do well, but it's all melee range which I've had enough of as a Shield Tech.

I personally prefer Pyro for ops and flashpoints due to the great burst and flexibility in range. It's also an easier rotation for me to keep up with. I tried AP for a couple ops pre 1.2 and they do well, but it's all melee range which I've had enough of as a Shield Tech.

Again this is preference, play style.

I like both, played Pyro until about a little over a month ago, now I'm Ap. I love things about both specs. Sticking with AP because my play style is more suited for it.

In fact just got invited to one of the best guilds (18th world wide to clear HM EC I believe) and am in top 3 in dps as AP and that's against 2 really good mara's (which are the FOTM right now).

I play Pyro, but I went AP for a month just to see what was what. Mad love for the wrist blades and the suped-flamethrower, but Pyro gives some insane burst. AP is more sustained damage with the occasional proc and manages heat better to keep that damage up. Pyro, on the other hand, stacks up more DoTs and can give you a free Rail Shot every six seconds. The only real difference between the two is, Pyro is more mid-range than melee and powers up Unload better than Flamethrower. Since Flame Sweep stacks power onto Flamethrower, and Pyro has no talents powering Flamethrower, I like to look at it as, AP is better for groups while Pyro works best on single-target. And how. Don't listen to Captain Numbnuts up there talking about broken BHs and OP Sorc, I can burn down that bubble in a heartbeat and set his pretty dress on fire.

AP may be better for PvE. I had more luck facing mobs with AP than Pyro. But in PvP, AP failed to perform the way I wanted, so I went back to Pyro. Pyro has snares, DoTs, buffed Unload, and rapid-fire Rail Shot. AP has Retractable Bayonet, suped Flamethrower, and Immolate, the coolest looking move in the game. Pyro is mid-range, AP is up close and personal.

no matter what spec you go , sith sorc kills faster , bounty hunters are broken.

Wow, where the hec did that come from. Given that I can often kill 2 Sorcs faster than both can kill me, makes me think you really dont have alot of experience playing a PT. We really are at a very good spot in terms of balance I think.

This is a good segue into a question I've had for a while now...Mercs wield 2 blasters...if I'm not mistaken a PT has a shield in the offhand...theoretically, the 2 fisted Merc should deal out more damage than the single blaster PT...but is that really the case, especially post 1.2?

Also, as an Arsenal Merc I got completely housed by Borga, Bloodgouge's Herald and Akure, the Abomination on Dromund Kaas...my own L2P issues aside, how effective would a PT be against those enemies?

This is a good segue into a question I've had for a while now...Mercs wield 2 blasters...if I'm not mistaken a PT has a shield in the offhand...theoretically, the 2 fisted Merc should deal out more damage than the single blaster PT...but is that really the case, especially post 1.2?

Also, as an Arsenal Merc I got completely housed by Borga, Bloodgouge's Herald and Akure, the Abomination on Dromund Kaas...my own L2P issues aside, how effective would a PT be against those enemies?

DPS PTs dont use shield in the offhand. They use a generator. 1 pistol vs 2 pistols is purely aesthetics. It makes absolutely no difference in damage output. PvE wise, both AC can put out great dps. In PvE is a matter of playstyle. I personally prefer the style of a PT way more than a Merc. If you have any inclination towards Healing, then go Merc.

DPS PTs dont use shield in the offhand. They use a generator. 1 pistol vs 2 pistols is purely aesthetics. It makes absolutely no difference in damage output. PvE wise, both AC can put out great dps. In PvE is a matter of playstyle. I personally prefer the style of a PT way more than a Merc. If you have any inclination towards Healing, then go Merc.

TYVM Agooz, very interesting...I went Merc so I could wield 2 blasters much preferring ranged DPS although I have to admit I do no PVP being strictly a solo PVE'er so my focus is completing quests and soloing H2's if possible.

In random loot drops I've gotten a few generators (didn't know what the heck to do with them or what they were for so I sold em eventually figuring out they were for PT's) and it seems to me they function in the same way as Mako's offhand blade, a stat bumper maybe for Aim and Endurance...??

TYVM Agooz, very interesting...I went Merc so I could wield 2 blasters much preferring ranged DPS although I have to admit I do no PVP being strictly a solo PVE'er so my focus is completing quests and soloing H2's if possible.

In random loot drops I've gotten a few generators (didn't know what the heck to do with them or what they were for so I sold em eventually figuring out they were for PT's) and it seems to me they function in the same way as Mako's offhand blade, a stat bumper maybe for Aim and Endurance...??

Yes, Shield Generator Stats for tanking and boosting shield chance. Regular generator is for DPS, enhancing dps stats.

It might make a little difference if the offhand for the Merc is augmented.

The main difference is the damage type between Mercs and PT, not so much the added pistol. Mercs deal mostly 'Ranged' dps, which is mitigated by armor. Pyro deal mostly elemental damage which isn't mitigated by armor. As for DPS, I think the Pyro tree is much nicer. It is more mobile for the fights where you gotta move out of crap, its has more forgiving range, and you only have to watch for 1 proc. AP offers a bit more utility/situational abilities, such as Hydraulic overrides, and hitman, but it does not have the burst of Pyro. Also, from all of my parses on long boss fights, the majority of my damage comes from the buffed combustible gas cylinder DOT that is applied with flame burst, rail shot is usually right behind it. So you are still doing a majority of your damage while you are moving, and with railshot you can reset the burn effect of CGC if its on the target. Heat management with Pyro can be a bit tricky, and if you are not careful you could find yourself using rapid shots for a long time while your heat drops, especially during 'burn phase' bosses like stage 3 of SOA, or the Annihilator droid in KP. That could severely affect your DPS, with AP, you get a passive 8 heat drop every few seconds, so even if you do over heat, you arent screwed for long like in Pyro if vent heat is on CD. Edited by DinnerYeti

As far as pvp goes the vast majority of mercs are an easy target for me as a PT mercs definately got the short end of the stick when it comes to pyrotech. But I am guessing that most mercs go arsenal which is still pretty easy to deal with as a PT. I do not have much experience in PVe as I tend to stick to PVP which is more enjoyable to me though.

As far as the class quest on dromand kaas being hard. I found it to be extrmely challenging even as a PT but it was doable. I was able to solo all of my class quests and finish them at 46. I think the merc may have a little easier time with the last few class quest mainly because of their cc and kb.

I have seen parses of powertechs with bis topping 1500 sustained dps and I dont find it that hard to believe it when poeple talk about PTs doing good dps. in pve we lack a threat dump though which is a big deal. I leveled up as pyro and I only spent a few hrs as AP before getting frustrated and going back to pyro because that is what I was used to. I do not know if the buffed fllame thrower is that good in pve(it seems like it would be).

Edited by Hardened

Still not sure how this got onto a PT vs Merc DPS.

Merc: Healing/range DPS

PT: Tank/Mid Range DPS/Melee DPS

AP: Melee in your face fire, no heat issues

Pyro: Mid range with some distance, good heat management with PPA/SR proc's.

AP is within 5% of Pyro, but also depends on your playstyle. My pyro is ~2% of my AP, I'm just a better AP style player I guess. Also I tend to own more in pvp as AP then I do as pyro.

Still not sure how this got onto a PT vs Merc DPS.

Merc: Healing/range DPS

PT: Tank/Mid Range DPS/Melee DPS

AP: Melee in your face fire, no heat issues

Pyro: Mid range with some distance, good heat management with PPA/SR proc's.

AP is within 5% of Pyro, but also depends on your playstyle. My pyro is ~2% of my AP, I'm just a better AP style player I guess. Also I tend to own more in pvp as AP then I do as pyro.

Dardack! What did you swich your Enhancement Accuracy Mods too for your PVE gear. I got 208 accuracy but can't figure out where to get enhancements without accuracy and more power/surge.

Yes, Shield Generator Stats for tanking and boosting shield chance. Regular generator is for DPS, enhancing dps stats.

Got it--thank you again, I'm guessing they can be changed on the fly...correct, or no?

It might make a little difference if the offhand for the Merc is augmented.

As of right now mine isn't--I'm using stock gear from loot and rewards, I forget what my offhand blaster is but it's not bad--changing my rotation and being a bit battle-smarter has helped a lot and I will finish Taris at some point this weekend, just dinged 36.

Having done some reading here on the PT boards I now want to roll a PT Pyro--there doesn't seem to be any real benefit to wielding 2 blasters, except that it looks way cool, in terms of damage output and though I will miss the amped Rocket Punch and Jet Boost the other skills will make up for it...I'm thinking that will work out rather well...

Edited by StaticJoe

Dardack! What did you swich your Enhancement Accuracy Mods too for your PVE gear. I got 208 accuracy but can't figure out where to get enhancements without accuracy and more power/surge.

Smuggler glvoes champion/columni. No more champion stuff, so columni. GLOVES ONLY. Rakata/rest of columni gear has Accuracy.

Also, check out the black hole pants for BH's, buying 5 of those first chance I get.