If SWTOR goes free to play it may save the ship from exploding

unseenmaji

Look most people dont even want to pay subscriptions anymore and free to play mmos are more appealing. This game will only suceed if very soon they move it to free to play, because look at what coming and you really think with the bad press this game has anyone is going to want to sub to it with better games coming out. Free to play would let people play swtor while they playing other games and raise populations so that it becomes more a sucess, the sub model is failing and that the reason why it didnt sell as many as it could off.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as BioWare and/or EA thinks they can make more money with subs, the game will stay a sub based game.

Games shouldnt always be about making money, greedy companys deserve to fall there corrupted foundation can only last so long.

Games shouldnt always be about making money, greedy companys deserve to fall there corrupted foundation can only last so long.

Your postings continue to be a great source of humor. If you don't make a profit, you make a loss. Who should cover that loss would you suggest? The government?

F2P games are not free to play... all of them still charge the equivalent of a normal subscription fee for things like bank space and character slots. Moreover you still have to pay for DLC things that are now "free" with a subscription. Imagine having to pay for the rakghoul event access, that's the "F2P" model.

$0.50 a day, that's it. I can't even buy a can of coke for that price. I used to blow greater than $10.00 in a night at an arcade back in the day. I'm more than happy to pay the fee.

my 2 cp.

Edited by mokkh

Sub model works fine for me, I just know that if it went free to play it would be pay to win, not what i want to see.

Still waiting for the day that MMOs go old school arcade. Start with X lives, once you use em you have to insert another quarter(which now is a dollar) for another X lives.

I hate the term "free to play". It is a lie. A more accurate term would be "Pay-to-win".

I much prefer subscription based play to micro transactions. Development seems to shift focus to releasing tiny little things to be added to the games at cheap little prices, with more traditional content updates being fewer and farther between. At this point I am no longer willing to give any pay-to-win game a second glance, and that will include swtor should it change models.

That's he most ridiculous thing I've ever read. It's the video game industry (key word: industry). It's a business and their goal is turn a profit; nothing more, nothing less. Faulting them for that is very ignorant.

Look most people dont even want to pay subscriptions anymore and free to play mmos are more appealing. This game will only suceed if very soon they move it to free to play, because look at what coming and you really think with the bad press this game has anyone is going to want to sub to it with better games coming out. Free to play would let people play swtor while they playing other games and raise populations so that it becomes more a sucess, the sub model is failing and that the reason why it didnt sell as many as it could off.

World of warcraft is not f2play.... and is the biggest MMO out there and has been for years. your logic is flawed.

Star trek online is free to play, Has a cult like following thru it's lore and yet can't boast the numbers WoW does.

F2Play is not what this game needs... what this game needs is for the dev's to work on the bugs.. fix load times... aka cut out the multiple load times between you ship and the planet. Plus balancing but as mmo's go they should always be working on balancing.

500k people is all the game needs to stay afloat..easily attainable based on the fact it is star wars..or a bioware game alone..easily 500k fanboys out there:P

500k is all they wanted in order to make a profit off the game as it was so expensive, they got 1.7 million subscriptions, and over 2 million sales. I'd say they far exceeded their goals, and their ability to maintain it has been pretty decent so far.

I'll admit, though as much as I tend to "prefer" the subscription model I'm a little surprised they didn't utilize the popular "freemium" model off the bat in order to stave off any negativity about a conversion later. This day & age people want to know what they're paying for, why they're paying for it, and micromanage what it is exactly they are paying for which is why F2P/Freemium options are so popular right now and will probably continue to grow for the next few years, at least. I doubt this game will make that conversion, since even though it's not truly a *bad* thing to go F2P, it will still cause that negative stigma which BioWare will probably do anything in order to avoid for a very long time...Especially when the game is so successful this way.

They do need to work harder at marketing this game positively, and getting people to try it out, and snowball the success of this game to higher, and higher subscription numbers. Nothing would make me LOL more then see the incessant baseless bashers of this game be proven wrong.

Edited by Jesira

Weird, EA gets blasted for their DLC policy, yet you have people advocating a MT system.

I think of Herman Edwards a lot when I read these forums and think his advice could really help some of these people: "Don't hit send!"

Edited by Scar

SWTOR F2P ?

Probably never.

Look at Warhammer, is it f2p yet even though it's more dead then a few million year old fossil on the bottom of the dead sea ?

If you know the answer to that then hereby the answer if SWTOR will ever go F2P.

Edited by Kirameki

Weird, EA gets blasted for their DLC policy, yet yet you have people advocating a MT system.

I think of Herman Edwards a lot when I read these forums and think his advice could really help some of these people: "Don't hit send!"

Hahahaaaaa

your insane, BW has 1.7 million subscribers, after the European expansion that will put this game over two million subscribers. pull out a calculate and do some math, that's 288 million a year. F2P won't happen, and before you say. Well the numbers are going to drop, they haven't, so quit saying the ship is sinking Edited by Ensquire