Rakghoul Plague Outbreak Ended - Surprised by this?

Arjin

And this is relevant how? Why shouldn't a game have consequences for a player's actions or, in this case, inactions?

I don't know why a game shouldn't have consequences for a player's actions or inaction. I wouldn't defend something so silly.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why a game shouldn't have consequences for a player's actions or inaction. I wouldn't defend something so silly.
OK then. The inaction in this case was not keeping informed about the status of the event. The consequences of that inaction is that the vendor was removed before players had the opportunity to spend their DNA samples.

It will break out on another planet. Just be happy you don't have roaming bands of crazied force users lightsabering your backside, or bounty hunters--of the surprise free roaming type--coming after you for some weird reason, or some nutter thing like getting infected with some madness from the Sith temple...(Inquisitor aside). The thing could have lasted another three weeks, oh well. We have May Day coming up, perhaps.... Just as long as we don't have some Wookie holiday with which to contend. :o:w_tongue:

OK then. The inaction in this case was not keeping informed about the status of the event. The consequences of that inaction is that the vendor was removed before players had the opportunity to spend their DNA samples.

See, now you're making it about the issue at hand instead of an over-generalization. Let's keep it this way.

It's reasonable that the notice on the forums was enough of a warning. Granted, I'd have rather it been explained when the event end date was first announced, and not as an after thought the night before (vendor going away with event when you can gain DNA).

The difference between you, and I, is that I also find it reasonable to consider the warning inadequate to the larger player base. Now that a precedent has been set, this event can be cited when dealing with a later event. The event vendor clearly leaves when the event to obtain event items ends.

Do I deserve to vendor coming back for me to buy items? No.

Should I expect it and be upset if it doesn't happen? No.

I simply request it, and have posted my reasoning. BW can take it or leave it. They owe me nothing. I get that.

In my opinion, the solution to this issue is to turn it into a learning experience for both player base and BW.

Putting the vendor back in for a few days is what I'd like to see happen.

It's reasonable that the notice on the forums was enough of a warning. Granted, I'd have rather it been explained when the event end date was first announced, and not as an after thought the night before (vendor going away with event when you can gain DNA).

FYI it was not announced as an afterthought of the night before. The post the night before was simply a reminder post. They had posted that information a number of days earlier.

HOWEVER, I concede that if you did not see that earlier post, the update on the 23 would appear to be a "last minute oh-by-the-way" update, but it simply was not.

Bioware should have left the original update in place to avoid the confusion.

See, now you're making it about the issue at hand instead of an over-generalization. Let's keep it this way.

The difference between you, and I, is that I also find it reasonable to consider the warning inadequate to the larger player base. Now that a precedent has been set, this event can be cited when dealing with a later event. The event vendor clearly leaves when the event to obtain event items ends.

Do I deserve to vendor coming back for me to buy items? No.

Should I expect it and be upset if it doesn't happen? No.

I simply request it, and have posted my reasoning. BW can take it or leave it. They owe me nothing. I get that.

In my opinion, the solution to this issue is to turn it into a learning experience for both player base and BW.

Putting the vendor back in for a few days is what I'd like to see happen.

^Sums it up nicely. I am requesting they put it back in. since none of you work for bioware nobody is really asking your opinions about it as well. We have for the most part stated our reasons why we would like it back. A couple of you have made legitimate reasons or concerns about why you dont want it back, the others have successfully belittled others and made a thread that should have been 3-4 pages long over 20 and its just the middle of the day. I myself have contributed to the length by responding. I have only seen maybe 1 non selfish reason why people dont want it back in, everything else has been a "because its over read the notes".

With all due respect, you were the one making broad statements regarding the intent of those who opposed the return of the event vendor. You were also the one who provided a scenarios that you could not validate. Incidentally, I did note you dropped that line of justification when you could not actually provide evidence of its validity.

The difference between you, and I, is that I also find it reasonable to consider the warning inadequate to the larger player base. Now that a precedent has been set, this event can be cited when dealing with a later event. The event vendor clearly leaves when the event to obtain event items ends ...

... Putting the vendor back in for a few days is what I'd like to see happen.

If this does occur, however, if the vendor is returned to the game after the event's end, a precedent is put in place as well. It would demonstrate that Bioware caves to player demands, even if such action is not justified by the situation at hand. That is an extremely dangerous precedent to set, and historically has been the downfall of several titles within the industry.

This situation should serve as a learning experience: Bioware can realize that no amount of effort on their part will ever be sufficient for the entirety of the player community, and players should realize that it is their responsibility to remain up-to-date regarding upcoming changes to their hobby of choice.

Bioware should not return the event vendor to the game.

Riddle me this..people don't see information on the forums, yet come to the forums to complain about not seeing information here. You know it's here. Use it.

I am wondering about this also. If people can com to the forum to complain, then the said people know the forum exist and simply chose NOT to inform themselves.

I do remember the login screen talk about 1.2 patch, legacy and plague and you can click on it "to find out more" and it lead to the website and later the forum!

shocking ;) (yea that was sarcasm)

since none of you work for bioware nobody is really asking your opinions about it as well. We have for the most part stated our reasons why we would like it back.
No one is asking your opinions about this topic, either. You offer them freely, which is your right. We offer ours freely, which is our right.

... everything else has been a "because its over read the notes".
Despite your indication to the contrary, this a valid reason for not returning the vendor to the game. So are the "selfish" reasons you decry. In fact, the reasons given for the vendor's return can be considered "selfish," as well.

I would just like to state that bioware has set that caving precedent at least 10 others times; go read the pvp section. They in fact are a money making MMO and they do listen to their players and even their devs admit that sometimes they make mistakes ( I applaud them for this, other game designers dont admit when they are wrong.) I realize the removing the vendor was planned, im sure it wasnt an accident. They cater to the masses as well, go check out the suggestion box. It is possible they will bring the vendor back, or maybe they wont either way it doesnt hurt to ask.

I dont get why people didnt spend the samples but just hoarded them. Everytime I had enough I went and bought something else. I was on last minute getting infected in fleet just to get 1 more crack at a customization I need. I also like they make these things limited. 5 years from now we can tell new people about the first events show them items we earned. What point is it if they just hand the stuff to everyone? The whole point of some mmos (UO) is to collect and buy/sell rares. Just dont get how people can use the forums to complain but not to find out details about the event.

Because these forums are a voice also to/from Bioware. If you know someone i can discuss in game who works for bioware I think most of these forums would have less threads and posts.

People know to come try to speak with them because they play the game and it suggests you to do it. Not everyone lives, breathes, sleeps SWTOR and many that do, dont spend all day everyday on the forums.

Good job Heavensagent quoting just the part you want to argue about. I can cutt and paste sections of what your saying without reading its intent as well.....
It's perfectly acceptable to identify only the portions of a post you wish to address, Zeez. In fact, it's often considered good forum etiquette to do so. I did not take your words out of context, nor did I indicate that what I quoted was the only thing you said. I also notice you could neither take the time to refute my words, nor respect my opinion as you indicated we should do in regard to yours. Instead you resort to arguing context. Edited by HeavensAgent

It's probably a good idea to take future note of this experience that it is not wise to depend solely on in-game notifications for limited time game content. The official website and forums are the best places to find up-to-date information on what is going on in the game an future changes. That fact alone absolves Bioware of any accusation of pulling the plug on the event out of the blue.

However, in some defense of the OP, there should have been some sort of in-game notification--launcher notice, email, something to let people when the event was ending. It's just a courtesy that most casual players who rarely visit the forums would appreciate. That is all.

Much of my fellow guildies were in the dark that it was ending so soon until they were notified a few days ago. Some didn't realize it until the last day. Mostly because some members only play the game sparsely and tend to miss chat notifications. Common stuff.

Edited by Lord_Epping

How about this then?

Will the event ever return to the game? I rerolled my main to a Legacy species/class combination on Friday, and as a result I can't participate; because the plague launched so soon after the update, I literally can't take part in the content.

Im just saying you posted pages about the this time only and its your fault and thats that but in a different thread your basically asking for it to run again and stating your reasons why you werent able to participate. Yet people here are doing the same thing as you except are only asking for the vendor and your posting arguements.

So when is the PvP speeder going back into the game? Or those $$$ speeders? Or the white saber crystal vendor?

Where is the vendor for champion/centurion/battlemaster gear from commendations?

There was no ingame notification that they were going to be removed.

Warzone medpacs/adrenals costing 20 comms instead of 10 after 1.2? No word ingame.

Now they're back again to 10comms - no word ingame. Actually I bought 20 medpacs yesterday. Today I would get 40 for the same price.

Also the best tool available to learn something ingame:

/General: Hey, does anybody know <question>?

Dont make blind assumptions. This is a life lesson. If you dont now X, but X is important to you, ASK someone who knows. Dont assume and complain later.

And I hope they reintroduce the vendor "soon". All my hard work of spreading the virus to Hoth, Alderaan, Tython, Coruscant, Corellia should not be in vain ;)

Yes, I asked a question. There's nothing wrong with that. Others voiced dissenting opinions; there's nothing wrong with that, either. Just as there's nothing wrong with that process here.

Besides, that specific situations was fundamentally different. I was as informed as I could have been; the event simply showed up one morning on the servers, with no warning whatsoever. There was no way for me to know that rerolling my character would mean that I would miss the opportunity to take part in live event content. There was no way for anyone to know that the live event was activating that Sunday morning. This is an important difference: I knew about the event's end, because I keep informed. Everyone else could have done the same, if they had simply decided it was worthwhile.

Incidentally, that also means I am arguing against having access to the vendor myself. I, too, have a couple of hundred DNA samples stashed in my bank. I let myself get blown up fairly often while checking and listing items on the GTN, looking for FP groups, and waiting in Warzone queues.

Edited by HeavensAgent

I don't know, maybe this is just me but ... if you are willing/able to come to the forums to post complaints like this, you should be willing/able to come to the forums to seek information for things that are, admittedly, important to you. There was a post announcing the end of the event in DevTracker and a post announcing that the vendor would be going along with it.