Griefing: Everyone's Problem

Elhanan

I think the plague is funny. My toon died from it and I LOL my butt off. I got it a second time and bought the vaccine lol. It's a game and it's supposed to be fun so relax and just go with it.

Some find Disco, Karaoke, and Reality TV entertaining; not everyone does. In these cases, some try and avoid it. But when one is coerced to pay 2k in credits to not dance, sing, or switch channels (until Death), that becomes annoying. And we all appear to pay the same sub fee to participate as we want; not others.

And for those that push it to harass others; that is Griefing.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest failure on BioWare's part for this event was making it an opt-out system, instead of opt-in. Players who did not want to participate had it forced on them anyway in the form of:

1) Purchasing an overpriced vaccine from a limited amount of vendors.

2) The hordes of huddled up players at fleet trying to infect as many others as possible.

3) The above vaccine often bugging and not staying active for the full 6 hours.

The plague was funny the first time. Maybe even the 2nd. But by the 10th time, I was done. It was a stupid event in my opinion, mostly because I had to avoid fleet and my normal playing habits or spend another 2k on a vaccine that may or may not work for more than an hour. I would imagine for lower level toons this event was especially tiresome.

Edited by TheronFett

Clearly you do not play PVP. Your arguments do not hold up there. The plague caused the player to become stunned during times when a few seconds means life and death. It changes the outcomes of matches. The vaccine does not persist through death but the plague does. I can not afford to spend 2k per death in PVP. The costs are prohibitively expensive.

Clearly you don't PvP either. With the tons of CC in this game I never even noticed the plague stun. Sure it may have affected a few 1v1's but quite frankly you are overstating the impact.

The biggest failure on BioWare's part for this event was making it an opt-out system, instead of opt-in. Players who did not want to participate had it forced on them anyway in the form of:

1) Purchasing an overpriced vaccine from a limited amount of vendors.

2) The hordes of huddled up players at fleet trying to infect as many others as possible.

3) The above vaccine often bugging and not staying active for the full 6 hours.

The plague was funny the first time. Maybe even the 2nd. But by the 10th time, I was done. It was a stupid event in my opinion, mostly because I had to avoid fleet and my normal playing habits or spend another 2k on a vaccine that may or may not work for more than an hour. I would imagine for lower level toons this event was especially tiresome.

Couldn't agree more, it's beyond me why bioware didn't have an opt in/out thing. If the plague thing persists I'll just go look else where for an mmo. It's my money I'm paying each month.

Clearly you don't PvP either. With the tons of CC in this game I never even noticed the plague stun. Sure it may have affected a few 1v1's but quite frankly you are overstating the impact.

What difference does that make? It happens and it shouldn't be is the point being made here......

What difference does that make? It happens and it shouldn't be is the point being made here......

Why shouldn't it happen? Lots of you guys are missing the point of this whole event. It's a freaking plague that threatens the galaxy and all the people in it(even if you dont wish to team or participate in the world around you). Aside from the involuntary flagging there is nothing that occurred that wasn't what BW intended. 2k per death in PvP. Please. Aside from the first puke/stun you didn't have another one for 10 min. By curing himself every single time he actually made it worse for himself.

Some people didn't like the event fine. Heck after a few days even I thought it was a little tiresome so I'm glad it only lasted about 10 days but calling anything related to this event(aside from the flagging then camping) Griefing is simply untrue. If you didn't want to get infected stay on your ship like the announcement said.

Couldn't agree more, it's beyond me why bioware didn't have an opt in/out thing. If the plague thing persists I'll just go look else where for an mmo. It's my money I'm paying each month.

LMAO.

All you had to do to opt out of this event was move your character activities to your capital city until it was over. Everything you needed was there except spamming for level 50 content (which if you have to spam for it in fleet you need to rethink how you play the game). OR stay in fleet and just be aware of those around you.

That said, I kept characters in fleet throughout the event and never once contracted the plague. It was plenty easy to avoid it and still access fleet resources if you paid even half an ounce of attention.

LMAO.

All you had to do to opt out of this event was move your character activities to your capital city until it was over. Everything you needed was there except spamming for level 50 content (which if you have to spam for it in fleet you need to rethink how you play the game). OR stay in fleet and just be aware of those around you.

That said, I kept characters in fleet throughout the event and never once contracted the plague. It was plenty easy to avoid it and still access fleet resources if you paid even half an ounce of attention.

About half of the incidents I experienced occured in the Capitol marketplace. The Origin worlds for BH and Trooper seemed clear, but did not have serum either, so no implemented immunization before hitting the Fleet. And about half occured on the Fleet.

While your experience may have been lol, it was not that same experience for everyone else; except perhaps the Griefers.

You mean the galaxy threatening plague didn't totally vanish overnight? :eek:

Evidently not, as it has also effected the timeline on taris, as they still seek the cure while selling it from the various vendors. :rolleyes:

Evidently not, as it has also effected the timeline on taris, as they still seek the cure while selling it from the various vendors. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world of MMOs where, at times, internal consistency is lacking. It's not that uncommon.... and in many ways unavoidable. You just have to suspend disbelief and go with it.

Welcome to the world of MMOs where, at times, internal consistency is lacking. It's not that uncommon.... and in many ways unavoidable. You just have to suspend disbelief and go with it.

I already do it all the time, or simply generate stories by some imaginary process.

My Legacy Revanite Sith are out to control the Empire, and remove corruption from the Republic. The eldest is now on the Dark Council and plans to assume the throne, another is cleansing the Republic, the BH is taking jobs and making improved Cybertech for the family, and the Jedi will kill the Emperor. Etc.

But when someone is defending the ongoing Plague effects by using the same flawed tales that produces these jumps in time, it seems a bit silly to me.

RP and PvP should not be reasons for Griefing, or even annoying to others.

Why shouldn't it happen? Lots of you guys are missing the point of this whole event. It's a freaking plague that threatens the galaxy and all the people in it(even if you dont wish to team or participate in the world around you). Aside from the involuntary flagging there is nothing that occurred that wasn't what BW intended. 2k per death in PvP. Please. Aside from the first puke/stun you didn't have another one for 10 min. By curing himself every single time he actually made it worse for himself.

Have they said they didn't intend for the flagging to happen? Seems they have not fixed everything else that will get you flagged, before or after the event, so I don't know what they intend. The only official stuff I have seen or heard from dev's was the Mos Eisley radio interview, and the lead game designer said the event was created to increase PVP. That comment also hints to me what it is they may or may not intend.

I am sorry. I do want a dev to speak about what it is they intend, or what they don't intend. Even if I love this game, if they intend to keep it going down a path I don't like as a player, then I want to be able to make the choice on if the game is right for me or not. Right now, I would say I was 70% happy with the game. If the developers keep pushing out forced content that I don't like, then that number will go down. If they say hey, this was a mistake. A bug. A exploit, then that number would go up. I just want to know what they envision in their heads on where this game needs to go, so I know if I want to follow the same path or take a separate one.

Huh? What are you talking about? Where did I say that it was.... I was commenting on you :rolleyes: about the Taris storyline in light of the world event.

You seem to assume I was speaking to you specifically.

The statement is for all, including myself: RP and PvP are not reasons to be annoying, or for Griefing others.

You seem to assume I was speaking to you specifically.

The statement is for all, including myself: RP and PvP are not reasons to be annoying, or for Griefing others.

Yes... when you quote me, the very reasonable assumption is that you are making comments about what I said.

Yes... when you quote me, the very reasonable assumption is that you are making comments about what I said.

heh! Yes; nothing says personal communication like a quote on a public forum....

Be well!

Edited by Elhanan

Um... yes... isn't that the point of quoting someones post?

Not always, at least for me. I dislike losing the text if forced to return to the thread. By quoting, I maintain the thoughts for context.

And my Taris ref was originally made from a previous thread, and the confusing statement seems to apply.

Not always, at least for me. I dislike losing the text if forced to return to the thread. By quoting, I maintain the thoughts for context.

And my Taris ref was originally made from a previous thread, and the confusing statement seems to apply.

Ok, so sometimes you quote posts that you're not actually responding to so you don't lose the text if forced to return to the thread? Yeah, you know what, lets drop it... because there is no way you're ever going to be able to explain that one.

The Taris comment was in this thread.... I know that because I quoted it from this thread. So I'm not sure what you mean there either.

Just for future reference, when you quote someone's post... most people will assume you are responding to them. You can give me your snarky thanks for that piece of advice.

Edited by Dralanna

Ok, so sometimes you quote posts that you're not actually responding to so you don't lose the text if forced to return to the thread? Yeah, you know what, lets drop it... because there is no way you're ever going to be able to explain that one.....

And we agree again; twice in a week! Sign of the Apocolypse.... :D