Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed :)

Yes, because every single 3D space combat experience absolutely has to be a complete flight simulator...

Something as in-depth as TIE fighter would be very cool, but I think it is a little too complicated for TOR.

Look at something like Freelancer instead. A hell of a lot more simple, yet loads of fun.

Well thats not true, if you reach L50, all-out war is breaking out

Actually it's entirely true.

The Treaty of Coruscant acts as the basis for the setting of LucasArts massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Treaty was first mentioned in a short page reviewing the game's setting on The Old Republic's official website, but was later greatly developed in other features of the site, particularly The Holonet—an in-universe collection of reports and stories from The Old Republic timeframe. The events surrounding the Treaty were also elaborated upon in Treaty of Coruscant, the first in a series of online video timelines on The Old Republic site. The timelines are narrated by Jedi Master Gnost-Dural, whose voice is provided by actor Lance Henriksen.
Edited by Jestunhi

I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways

2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

You haven't ever played swg Jump to light speed huh?

Here is an old true saying no matter who or what.

"If you build it they will come."

This game is set during a time of peace - after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant.

Not quite. Or are you really trying to claim that all those Republic missions that involve killing Imperials, or the Imperial missions that involve killing Reps don't exist?

Technically there might be peace, but that is literally in name only. And as has been pointed out, by the time you hit level 50, the war is well underway. One of the class stories (SW I think it is) even states that the war has started, and that is well before level 50.

Plus, you have (while levelling) the invasion of Taris for the Imps, and the invasion of Balmorra for the Reps. If that's not war, then what is?

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Not quite. Or are you really trying to claim that all those Republic missions that involve killing Imperials, or the Imperial missions that involve killing Reps don't exist?

Technically there might be peace, but that is literally inname only. And as has been pointed out, by the time you hit level 50, the war is well underway.

How about we let Bioware decide when it's set instead of deciding ourselves?

There are minor conflicts going on, but there's a reason why lots of the storylines involve people who have defected from their factions to continue fighting, etc.

I don't recall being involved in many (if any) major troop deployments, nor major fleet deplayments. It's all been small-scale battles.

Edited by Jestunhi

There are minor conflicts going on, but there's a reason why lots of the storylines involve people who have defected from their factions to continue fighting, etc.

I don't recall being involved in many (if any) major troop deployments, nor major fleet deplayments. It's all been small-scale battles.

Bioware have decided when the war starts up. It is already in game. I updated my last post with relevant details before I saw this one of yours (including some major troop deployments). Or do you call the Imperial invasion of Taris a 'small-scale battle'?

No major fleet deployments, because there is no kind of fleet space combat game in TOR.

i mentioned the SW in my last post. One of their class stories on a planet is arranging an invasion to take the planet for the Empire (or something like that, I'm going off what a guildie told me).

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Actually it's entirely true.

Nope. You haven't played the new daily content yet? If you start the game there is peace. But if you reach max level (which could be seen as 5-10 years later), the treaty is null and void. The republic is about to take back corellia.

Also, you annihilate a whole republican fleet during the end of the inqui storyline for example.

Edited by Zertheron

Technically there might be peace, but that is literally in name only. And as has been pointed out, by the time you hit level 50, the war is well underway. One of the class stories (SW I think it is) even states that the war has started, and that is well before level 50.

Plus, you have (while levelling) the invasion of Taris for the Imps, and the invasion of Balmorra for the Reps. If that's not war, then what is?

Can you link to a quest on Torhead confirms the treaty has ended and pub & imp are at war?

I'm looking specifically at Taris atm, but will accept Balmorra too.

Edited by Jestunhi

Ilum storyline is a major battle between Empire and Republic untill ..

Darth Malgus stabs both Empire and Republic in the back to try and create his own Empire using the Stealth Fleet.

Battle for Ilum Republic Flashpoint actually starts with you battling through a dug in Imperial battle line.

Corellia is a major battle between Empire and Republic, no holds barred there.

Taris for Empire and Balmorra for Republic are also major troop deployments.

So yeah.. there is actually a lot more Open War going on at the end of Chapter 3 than an active Treaty would suggest.

If I recall correctly, in my Consular story I actually hear someone say directly that the Treaty of Coruscant has been nullified..

Can you link to a quest on Torhead confirms the treaty has ended and pub & imp are at war?

I'm looking specifically at Taris atm, but will accept Balmorra too.

Probably not, since I pay little attention to quest names, but I'll see if I can find one.

Edit: Apparently I can't. TORHead doesn't have any of the cutscenes, so I can't show you the Imperial officers talking about how it is time to take Taris back from the Republic scum. Your very first mission on Taris though, is 'We are being bombarded by Republic artillery. go take them out', and you work on from there until you are invading the spaceport to take out the Republic leaders on Taris.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Its quite obivious if you played several storylines to L50.

L 1-30 Treaty, minor conflicts

L 31-45 war breaks out, open conflict

L 45+ all out war

Patch 1.2: Empire loosing ground, republic special forces pushing forward on several planets.

Edited by Zertheron

The game is hardly set in a time of peace. The beginning of the game maybe but as you progress through the storyline the aggression escalates and eventually the war resumes.

Republic backing rebels on Balmorra that the Empire exposes and crushes to which the Republic later takes it back. The civil war on Alderaan which the Republic and Empire are fighting eachother in. The Empire smashing Republic efforts to rebuild Taris. The two factions racing against eachother on Hoth to dig up the ship graveyard. The Republic trying to prevent the Empire from releasing the Dreadmasters on Belsavis and getting plans for their own prison/research world. Doing an aggressive political dance on Voss to win its people over. Once you get to Corellia it's wartime. Malgus even states during a cutscene that the Empire lost 10% of its entire force to invade and conquer the planet and the new dailies for Corellia make it known that the Republic took it back. This isn't even including class stories in which you're assassinating enemy leaders and wiping out fleets with one ship.

By the time you hit 50, assuming you leveled through the storyline only, you don't need a poster on the wall to tell you that the Republic and Empire are at war again. There was nothing peaceful going on even from the start and both sides knew it.

Edited by Varteras

There's a lot more to war that army vs army slugfests.

Mmm, very few spaceflight sims actually use proper physics, although I love games that do. :)

There's also the question of how well the engine which they chose would handle free-flight space and physics.

:edit:

It's not a question of how many people would play a SW spaceflight sim, it's a case of how many would pay monthly to do so. Of course some people will want to do both the MMORPG aspects and the space aspects. But the pool of players which you are aiming for has to be willing to pay MMO fees, otherwise they won't be interested anyway.

There's already proof (twice) that people will do that.

Were Bioware aiming to equal SWG non-JTL sales with SWTOR? Of course not. They were hoping for much more.

I'm not sure "sim" is the right way though, Star Wars has Hollywood space physics (basically atmospheric flight in space) something like freelancer would likely be more popular.

But the space side of MMORPGs is very lacking, only SWG and EvE have really tried (and both have been fairly succesful - in space at least).

I mean who wouldn't want Elite Online if it was offered to them? :eek:

There's already proof (twice) that people will do that.

Were Bioware aiming to equal SWG non-JTL sales with SWTOR? Of course not. They were hoping for much more.

I'm not sure "sim" is the right way though, Star Wars has Hollywood space physics (basically atmospheric flight in space) something like freelancer would likely be more popular.

But the space side of MMORPGs is very lacking, only SWG and EvE have really tried (and both have been fairly succesful - in space at least).

I mean who wouldn't want Elite Online if it was offered to them? :eek:

What proof?

Firstly Eve and SWG JTL are completely different games and someone who likes space combat / flight sims won't necessarily like both (or either).

And secondly, what about all the lesser populated space MMOs or space games with online modes (which don't include a fee and therefore should have a bigger audience)?

How many people here play Black Prophecy for example? It was only released in the last year or two, has a realistic physics system and is free to play (making the monthly sub barrier to potential players go away).

Claiming that because Eve has a lot of players there is proof that lots of players will want space in SWTOR is like saying that because WoW is so successful every MMO will be.

Edited by Jestunhi

What proof?

Firstly Eve and SWG JTL are completely different games and someone who likes space combat / flight sims won't necessarily like both (or either).

If that is an argument the same thing can be said about most MMORPGs.

SWG was completely different to WoW....... SWTOR is very like WoW but doesn't seem to be doing as well. Someone that likes SWG may or may not like SWTOR and/or WoW (or LOTRO etc. etc.)

All you can conclude from that is that you can't conclude anything about..... well anything. :confused:

Yes there are different, but what does that matter or mean? :confused:

And secondly, what about all the lesser populated space MMOs or space games with online modes (which don't include a fee and therefore should have a bigger audience)?

No idea, such as?

How many people here play Black Prophecy for example? It was only released in the last year or two, has a realistic physics system and is free to play (making the monthly sub barrier to potential players go away).

Yup, it looks ok, but it is not SW and it doesn't seem to have a ground section does it?

Are you saying that if someone won't play say Eldar Scrolls Online because WoW exists? :confused:

Claiming that because Eve has a lot of players there is proof that lots of players will want space in SWTOR is like saying that because WoW is so successful every MMO will be.

It's no different to claiming a SWTOR space combat expansion won't sell because EvE exists.

In fact it is different, that latter is just pure nonsense. :)

What proof?

The proof is in the name - Star Wars. TIE Fighter was released in 1993 and now, some 19 years later, it is still listed as one of the best games ever created (IGN did some top 10 or 100 games list, and TIE Fighter rated very highly, and they weren't the only ones). The Lucasarts forums have had continuous threads for the past several years asking for an updated version of TIE Fighter, or X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, or at least some kind of patch that makes it easy to run on Windows 7.

There is a Freelancer mod (Tides of War) that has been in ongoing development for around the past 7 or 8 years. That in itself should prove how much people want a multiplayer Star Wars space flight game. If TOR was to introduce such a thing, it would make a lot of people happy. Granted, they may not be thrilled about the monthly fee, but I would imagine most would pay it, especially considering they get the rest of the MMO to play too.

A decent space system in TOR (for me personally) makes the difference between playing through the stories I want to see, and being subscribed to this game for years. For one of my friends, the lack of a decent space game is the sole reason he refuses to buy the game. He likes the ground gameplay, thinks the cutscenes are excellent, but won't play it until he can fly his ship. I agree with him, but Star Trek Online made some awful mistakes, so I needed somewhere to go, lol.

Edited by dazednconfuzed