The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

EA to Release Fourth Quarter Fiscal Year 2012 Results on May 7, 2012

BCBull

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you weren't suggesting posting numbers here is a federal crime then? :confused:

Fair enough, I misunderstood, but then way post it at all?

So (just to be clear) you are saying someone posting SWTOR has XXXXX subs here is a federal crime? :D

Again no, it is NOT! :)

Because people are on here repeatedly stating the the 1.7 million subscriber number was a flat out manipulation by EA. That the actual number is much lower. Now if you're just misinformed or naive, that's fine. But if it's say two guys acting in concert over a period of time on multiple message boards spreading that message, along with "EA is firing people because SWTOR is failing", among other messages, at the very least EA could sue them for libel. If these two guys made a profit on the stock market, then they are in trouble.

I was pointing out there there have been hundreds of MMOs.

Many of which (including the some of the first and the biggest) have been listed companies.

Most of which (listed or not) comply to the subs criteria I posted.

Does SWTOR? I dunno, but I can't see why it wouldn't (when those critera have been specifically developed to help companys shine numbers in a perfectly legal fashion).

It's hilarious the hate machine will always have an excuse for SWTOR's numbers

'it doesn't count!!!!! because <insert lame reason here>"

The thing is they are part of those numbers because they keep paying just to whine on the forums.

:rolleyes:

Because people are on here repeatedly stating the the 1.7 million subscriber number was a flat out manipulation by EA. That the actual number is much lower. Now if you're just misinformed or naive, that's fine. But if it's say two guys acting in concert over a period of time on multiple message boards spreading that message, along with "EA is firing people because SWTOR is failing", among other messages, at the very least EA could sue them for libel. If these two guys made a profit on the stock market, then they are in trouble.

Again saying they might have isn't a federal crime either (it's not even A crime).

Yes it if were part of a concerted campaign to profit from it, but (again) that's not the same thing at all, it's something completely different.

For a start that 1.7m number can include everything I mentioned and still be a perfectly legal statement.

Trying to scaremonger that someone randomly saying SWTOR has XXXXX subs is going to get them a federal conviction is just plain disingenuous and wrong. :rolleyes:

What will be telling in their 10-K will be under the risk factors. They will have to disclose any potential risks which could impact future earnings (declining subscriptions, not being able to release content, competition). I’m sure that SWTOR will be mentioned since its subscription based and they are counting on the revenues. So any worries they have will be disclosed there. Edited by Catdaddyy

Again saying they might have isn't a federal crime either (it's not even A crime).

Yes it if were part of a concerted campaign to profit from it, but (again) that's not the same thing at all, it's something completely different.

For a start that 1.7m number can include everything I mentioned and still be a perfectly legal statement.

Trying to scaremonger that someone randomly saying SWTOR has XXXXX subs is going to get them a federal conviction is just plain disingenuous and wrong. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about. I set forth a fact pattern which is what you would typically find in a complaint filed by the SEC to the DOJ (e.g., X and Y did A and B over a course of Z period, which establishes [beyond the required legal standard] that they were acting in concert and wilfully in an attempt to manipulate stock etc. etc. etc.). Facts support your claim. You establish the facts in court. Legal theory and law is interpreted by the arbiter (whether it be judge or other body).

And there is no such thing as a "perfectly legal statement." There is "misleading" and there is "material," both of which are argued by the lawyers in court. You don't need to prove something before your case gets heard, that's what the trial is for.

And no, I"m not scaremongering anyone. I'm saying that people are spouting ridiculous claims around here without realizing that in the real world, when executive officers and boards make public statements, they are very cognizant of the litigation/regulatory risks involved and don't take such risks lightly.

What will be telling in their 10-K will be under the risk factors. They will have to disclose any potential risks which could impact future earnings (declining subscriptions, not being able to release content, competition). I’m sure that SWTOR will be mentioned since its subscription based and they are counting on the revenues. So any worries they have will be disclosed there.

MAYBE. Subscription numbers are an important source of a company's revenues, but I wouldn't bet on EA being so specific that they would break down revenue into subscription numbers in their risk factors. Especially because risk factors tend to be comparison based, e.g., "our sales for 1Q2011 decreased x% to y from z in 1Q2010." The time frame for SWTOR being in the market hasn't been long enough (and was for out for only a tiny fraction of 2011) that its revenues may have had little impact on EA"s overall 2011 revenue. You generally don't put in "projections" either in 10K or 10Q so they certainly wouldn't say, "we expect subscriptions to do this or that" in the risk factors. Interestingly enough, the risk factors are where a company can most "fudge" because you don't necessarily need to put in financial disclosure there, only what is deemed "material" to the business, operations and financial position of the Company taken as a whole on a consolidated basis.

What are you talking about. I set forth a fact pattern which is what you would typically find in a complaint filed by the SEC to the DOJ (e.g., X and Y did A and B over a course of Z period, which establishes [beyond the required legal standard] that they were acting in concert and wilfully in an attempt to manipulate stock etc. etc. etc.). Facts support your claim. You establish the facts in court. Legal theory and law is interpreted by the arbiter (whether it be judge or other body).

And there is no such thing as a "perfectly legal statement." There is "misleading" and there is "material," both of which are argued by the lawyers in court. You don't need to prove something before your case gets heard, that's what the trial is for.

And no, I"m not scaremongering anyone. I'm saying that people are spouting ridiculous claims around here without realizing that in the real world, when executive officers and boards make public statements, they are very cognizant of the litigation/regulatory risks involved and don't take such risks lightly.

Indeed, which is why MMORPGs have realised they can use all those criteria in the subs numbers and be bulletproof.

And no you're still not going to get a federal conviction for randomly saying SWTOR has XXXXX subs here or even saying XX of those subs might be trials or whatever.

But that's why MMO subs are such an illusive beast, WoW clearly hasn't had 10,000,000 subs for years (and probably ever, by a lot of definations), but that doesn't mean they are acting illegally with that number either. It's a perfectly legitimate number....... from a certain point of view.

If there numbers fall and subscription drop off the map i expect TOR not to be Origins exclusive anymore, if you could grab just fifteen percent of steam concurrent users that puts you in the ball park of six hundred thousand purchases, after steam takes its cut i think that equals around 24mil in profit :eek: but wait there more, after sub's come in you've now brought that number up to hundred and twenty mill a year minimum :D believe me you can't say no to that. But before any of that happens people who's vision was to make this game exclusive to origins will be fired :D

LOL you do know that SWTOR does not require Origins right? I did not install origins when i started playing SWTOR. Why would anyone want to run SWTOR through another program (Steam or Origins) when they do not have to? Valve is also a devil but they wear a very nice mask, i give them that.

Who cares? I log on, I play the game, I log off. Could care less what color shoes the CEO is wearing, how much money he is making.

Talk about drama queens.

Yep I miss the days when gamers played games...now they are all wall street speculators. I was looking at the General forums last week and the game is discussed very little. Most of the posts are about nonsense like this, or some other drama.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Anyone know why EA is laying off workforce?

It is something somebody imagined. It sounded cool so people replicate it. In short, an unfounded lie.

On the other hand, huge corporations always hire and fire people, so if you want to find something when there is nothing, you can.

Why is this thread even still here it's off topic not even remotely about TOR?

It is related since the first estimate of TOR subscriptions was given as part of the Q3 2012 earnings call, so many are expecting an updated subscription count at this call.

They're going to say TOR subs haven't dropped.

Why do you think they're giving just about everyone 30 free days?

Quiz:

1. When did EA's Fiscal Year 2012 end? _____________________ [Hint: Note past tense]

2. When will players receive credit for 30-days? ____________________ [Hint: Note future tense]

What will happen:

* Some Posters will move the goal Posts

* Some Posters will claim "heh told you so"

* Some Posters will say its nothing

* Some Posters wont reply as it will make them look stupid

* Some Posters will "predict" the end

* The Game will go on and just about everyone in the thread will keep playing it

What will happen:

* Some Posters will move the goal Posts

* Some Posters will claim "heh told you so"

* Some Posters will say its nothing

* Some Posters wont reply as it will make them look stupid

* Some Posters will "predict" the end

* The Game will go on and just about everyone in the thread will keep playing it

^^Will eat his Hat'O'Awesome

I'd be more interested in seeing numbers on how many people are logging in and for how long. There can be 1.7 million subs but that doesn't mean that many people still log in much or ever.

Don't flame, I like this game. I'm just curious.