BCBull

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on record!

Post your predictions and why!

My reply was

Oh yeah and seeing how stock is at a low right now under 15 bucks, I think they have some serious splain'n to do to their stockholders.

http://investor.ea.com/stockquote.cfm

In comparison to other stocks over the same period they have taken a much larger hit. If you were a stock holder and don't think that warrants an explanation that's great. Myself personally think it would warrant an explanation, and the assertion that I made still stands.

Anything "could" be a portent of doom, that doesn't mean that it will be.

You're a glass half full guy. Optimism. I get that.

There's plenty of glass half empty people here too. Pessimism. That's understandable.

I'm a guy who wonders if the glass is being poured into (half full) or drunk out of (half empty) before I make a determination. That's realism, or perhaps just good old-fashioned pragmatism.

In the case of SWTOR, I think stagnation and the subsequent rush to grab and retain players (which the team admits to currently doing) are a sign that the game is in uncharted waters. Who knows what's over the horizon?

Edited by Dezzi

My reply was

In comparison to other stocks over the same period they have taken a much larger hit. If you were a stock holder and don't think that warrants an explanation that's great. Myself personally think it would warrant an explanation, and the assertion that I made still stands.

So what are you going to do if the report goes on without a hitch and an expatriation isn't asked for or given ?

No..no don't tell me I'm actually afraid to know. :eek:

Edited by Jett-Rinn

There's plenty of glass half empty people here too. Pessimism. That's understandable.

I'm a guy who wonders if the glass is being poured into (half full) or drunk out of (half empty) before I make a determination. That's realism, or perhaps just good old-fashioned pragmatism.

In the case of SWTOR, I think stagnation and the subsequent rush to grab and retain players (which the team admits to currently doing) are a sign that the game is in uncharted waters. Who knows what's over the horizon?

Okay that's cool I grock that...but where you see Sea Monsters I see a Brave new world...lets just wait and see who's right. :)

i think this games population could exceed 3mil in the next two years, depending on their marketing overseas and their marketing here at home, it will however takes some brilliant marketing on their part to do that. I think they could exceed that number if they opened up there cross digital distribution to other distributors as well

Edited by Ensquire

i think this games population could exceed 3mil in the next two years, depending on their marketing overseas and their marketing here at home, it will however takes some brilliant marketing on their part to do that. I think they could exceed that number if they opened up there cross digital distribution to other distributors as well

I agree the bones are there and yes cross digital distribution would help that happen,

So what are you going to do if the report goes on without a hitch and an expatriation isn't asked for or given ?

No..no don't tell me I'm actually afraid to know. :eek:

Uhhh the question that started this thread is what is your prediction, my prediction is that they will have some explaining to do for their drop in stock value.

It is of my opinion that they should be offering an explanation to their shareholders. The fact that share prices are at around 60% over the same period that other shares are down 12% does beg at the very least the raising of an eyebrow.

If you don't think so great, that's your opinion too, but my opinion is no less valid, and my point/prediction was based on factual information. The basis of this thread was what is each persons prediction. Mine is they will have some explaining to do for their shoddy stock performance, nothing more, nothing less.

Anyone know why EA is laying off workforce?

If they are (not sure if this is true or just rumor), it could be one of the following reasons:

1) Downturn in overall economic conditions in the US and globally

2) Generally downturn and negative outlook in the overall gaming industry

3) Part of annual review/layoff/people quitting their job process

4) EA is going down

Who knows it could be any of these reasons, or something else entirely. Trying to guess what's happening inside a company based on 2nd hand/3rd hand information is very tenuous.

Number one, gaming sales have only slowed in retail because of digital distribution and this generation console in nearing its end, however PC games sales are up by a wooping 20%, the enitre market for gaming (which includes consoles) is down by 2% because of slowed console sales

Number two, takes into account a demographic which isn't going to buy your game anyways

Number three is the most probable and most likley

Number four is silly and isn't happening, EA worth 5.22 billion dollars, strong sales from ME 3, dead space, sims 3 and all related DLC that goes with it, plus the sequel to Command and Conquer has just been announced. Also on a final note 1.5 million subscriptions from TOR equals 216 million dollars a year alone with out sales

If they are (not sure if this is true or just rumor), it could be one of the following reasons:

1) Downturn in overall economic conditions in the US and globally

2) Generally downturn and negative outlook in the overall gaming industry

3) Part of annual review/layoff/people quitting their job process

4) EA is going down

Who knows it could be any of these reasons, or something else entirely. Trying to guess what's happening inside a company based on 2nd hand/3rd hand information is very tenuous.

Edited by Ensquire

Anyone know why EA is laying off workforce?

A) they denied the rumor.

B) sales of games was down in the industry in March, by about 25% I believe. This may have some impact on EA financials if they got nicked by a disproportionate share of the % down.

As for SWTOR, all guidance to date is that the game remains strong on subscriptions, though the average play time of subscribers is down (seeing as the pent up launch feeding frenzy is over). In any event, they don't give product specific financials, so nothing in the EA earnings will be specific to SWTOR, or any other game. They may give general guidance in terms of total units sold, etc. and will answer game specific analysts questions during the earnings meeting though.

I predict they will count everyone who gets 30 days free gametime as "active subscribers" regardless of whether or not they are still paying customers.

Since you have to have an active sub to get the 30 days free...your prediction is wrong. sorry

I say the pop went up slightly...just about to crack 2 mill.

As for SWTOR, all guidance to date is that the game remains strong on subscriptions, though the average play time of subscribers is down (seeing as the pent up launch feeding frenzy is over). In any event, they don't give product specific financials, so nothing in the EA earnings will be specific to SWTOR, or any other game. They may give general guidance in terms of total units sold, etc. and will answer game specific analysts questions during the earnings meeting though.
I'm also sure that seasonal factors play a part in the decreased activity as well: The weather is getting nicer, and people spend more time outdoors. Students are preparing for final exams and projects. Major television series are winding down to their season finales, and viewers are either catching up on or re-watching the past season. The list can go on indefinitely; spring and early summer are not the biggest months for subscriber activity, especially as the hobby becomes more "mainstream" and attracts a greater variety of consumers.

Number one, gaming sales have only slowed in retail because of digital distribution and this generation console in nearing its end, however PC games sales are up by a wooping 20%, the enitre market for gaming (which includes consoles) is down by 2% because of slowed console sales

This would actually support an argument for layoffs no? EA's profitability partially depends on its revenue sources from console games...

Since you have to have an active sub to get the 30 days free...your prediction is wrong. sorry

I say the pop went up slightly...just about to crack 2 mill.

Actually, you don't. Stephen Reid addressed some concerns that players who had just cancelled their accounts, but had time remaining would still qualify for the 30-day giveaway.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=3870165&postcount=140

Edited by Dezzi

Yeah no matter how many time you explain it to them the hate machine still can't quite grasp that. :rolleyes:

See my response above. :rolleyes:

Actually, you don't. Stephen Reid addressed some concerns that players who had just cancelled their accounts, but had time remaining would still qualify for the 30-day giveaway.

Edited by Dezzi

Actually, you don't. Stephen Reid addressed some concerns that players who had just cancelled their accounts, but still had time left would still qualify for the 30-day giveaway.

Splitting of hairs. An account is either active or inactive. So the correct term should be "active account"

If you still have play time left on your account, then it's still an active account even if you have cancelled your "recurring subscription". Your account is inactive once play time expires on it and is not renewed.