Support Star Wars The Old Republic on Mac OSX.

Noxaddo

I'm quite happy with a Windows only client. I think Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made and certainly better than any Apple has made.

I agree it's the best OS MS has released to date. It'll be nice when there's another client available for TOR as well, for those who don't share your opinion about which OS is better.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1.

( Mac + Windows ) > Windows.

Macs have games. Windows and console developers port to Mac. Despite 5+ years of Boot Camp, Mac OS games are increasing. Mac market share is increasing.

WoW has Mac + Windows. HeroEngine is ported to OpenGL. So should SWTOR.

They put their money where the most users are and decided not to immediately cater to the 10% or less, especially when there's a viable option.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/ios-and-mac-os-x-market-shares-hit-record-highs/

Macs do have games. Not every developer chooses to create for that platform though.

Buying a Mac AND expecting to play ALL games WITHOUT the use of bootcamp+Windows is akin to buying your copy of SW:TOR on December 1st, entering your code on December 2nd and had the expectation of getting entry to early access on 12/13.

Meaning, it takes next to no time to research your buying choice and set proper expectations instead of unrealistic ones.

As long as they keep marketing heavily to the sheep, it will probably last for a long time.

I always find comments like this really interesting, usually because it's coming from people who can't seem to wrap their head around anything other than Windows-branded programming.

Edited by daemian

As long as they keep marketing heavily to the sheep, it will probably last for a long time.

Considering that the vast majority of Windows users have absolutely zero idea HOW their OS was built or how it runs, but continue to use an OS, whatever it may be, because the masses do so, that'd make THEM the sheep.

Most Mac users I know actually know a thing or two about the guts of the software, and CHOSE to be the underdog.

Edited by SyntheticFrost

Buying a Mac AND expecting to play ALL games WITHOUT the use of bootcamp+Windows is akin to buying your copy of SW:TOR on December 1st, entering your code on December 2nd and had the expectation of getting entry to early access on 12/13.

Meaning, it takes next to no time to research your buying choice and set proper expectations instead of unrealistic ones.

Speaking realistically, it's also possible a lot of people who already own Macs have discovered that they want to play this new game that isn't even officially released yet, and are sad to see there's no OS X client, so they're posting here to show that there's a demand for such a thing.

Edited by daemian

Considering that the vast majority of Windows users have absolutely zero idea HOW their OS was built or how it runs, but continue to use an OS, whatever it may be, because the masses do so, that'd make THEM the sheep.

Most Mac users I know actually know a thing or two about the guts of the software, and CHOSE to be the underdog.

Most Mac users I know are in their 80's.

Most Iphone users I know are in their teensies, or hang out at starbucks trying to look hip.

Most Ipad users don't even know there are other tablets available.. oh except for the samsung, because apple sues them every week, just like all their competition. Y u scared appoo?

Oh, and: http://www.adrants.com/2008/02/study-finds-mac-users-selfcentered.php

Edited by Jebi

Why would BioWare put resources into a Mac port when OSX can Bootcamp to Windows and run it?

Also, from an investment perspective, we have no idea what the cost vs potential profit of a port would mean, but I'm pretty sure BioWare does. If it makes financial sense, they'll do it. If not, they won't.

Also, I do think it's kind of funny to expect a Mac to play games. Sure, they get some of the major blockbusters, but it's common knowledge that if you want to seriously game, you buy a PC.

Honestly, I really wish people would do the freaking homework. This is a thread started to show SUPPORT for an OS X client. If you don't support it, don't post. Is that so hard?

But for those that feel the need to post without having a clue how Mac OS X was actually written when compared to Windows Vista or Windows 7, I've already supplied a number of links to reviews demonstrating how the OS works.

And for those who want to suspend their disbelief... AnandTech, a known PC hardware enthusiast review site, has demonstrated time and time and time again that when running on the SAME EXACT HARDWARE, even on Hackintosh PC hardware, OS X gets almost TWICE the battery life of windows under the same loads.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2645/13

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2785/the-new-macbook-pro-part-ii-lower-battery-life-under-vista-sata-issues

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3889/apple-macbook-pro-13-as-windows7-laptop/6

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/15

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/16

Windows 7 is a beast of an OS. and I don't mean that in a good way.

Probably because they are 50% slower, and cost 50% more? But yeah, it's all good, my battery last longer so there!!!

And from the review:

"More difficult is to compare the MacBook Pro to PC notebooks. Apple products aren’t reknowned for their value for money quotient, but even by Apple standards, this is pretty bad. A Core 2 processor at $1200 and $1500 price points? " lol

Edited by Jebi

Probably because they are 50% slower, and cost 50% more? But yeah, it's all good, my battery last longer so there!!!

And from the review:

"More difficult is to compare the MacBook Pro to PC notebooks. Apple products aren’t reknowned for their value for money quotient, but even by Apple standards, this is pretty bad. A Core 2 processor at $1200 and $1500 price points? " lol

pardon me for asking, but what does any of this have to do with supporting an OS X client for TOR?

Edited by daemian

Windows 7 is a beast of an OS. and I don't mean that in a good way.

See you in SWTOR... oh wait!

pardon me for asking, but what does any of this have to do with supporting an OS X client for TOR?

You tell me, I'm simply reply to someone else's post. Maybe ask him?

Plus I've already stated i support an OSX client, and a DOS one, linux, and Amiga. But atari users can go jump! ;)

Edited by Jebi

Posting here for my support for a mac client because while I am interested in the game, I am not interested enough to pay $200 extra dollars for Windows. Also, I hate to break it to all you mac haters talking about how "even wow didn't have a mac client at launch", but I have my original WoW disks from 1 week after launch; they are what I used to install WoW on my Mac when I switched from Windows. SWTOR has competition, and while I would love to play it, I have plenty of other native OSX games that I can and will play instead, including WoW ToR's main competition.

You may not like a mac, you may even think all mac users are idiots, but do not tell us to shut up and buy windows. If we wanted to use windows we would, if we thought Windows was a better OS it would be very easy to switch over. I switched over to macs for my own reasons, and while they may not be valid for you, they are valid for me.

I am, as is my right as a consumer, expressing my desire for a product, as is true for all of the people who support an OSX client. You can bash etc all you want, but unless you plan to cancel your subscription if Bioware decides to make a mac client then please stop trolling or changing the topic. No one cares what reasons you have for hating macs, what matters is whether your support or opposition to a mac client will in any way influence your spending decisions.

Nothing. He's just trolling. and frankly the "50% slower" thing didn't make any sense. WHAT is 50% slower? The hardware? or the OS? Because the hardware was the SAME, and Windows was a power hog regardless.

LOL! Do you realize that build costs over 20,000$ !!!! Do you serously need a 20k$ Mac to play *********** SWTOR.

I BUILD A *********** 300$ PC TODAY THAT RUNS SWTOR ON HIGH MEDIUM SETTINGS! 300$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? Really? I want to see that build so I can make one. I don't believe you.

So, as far as I can tell, the arguments against an OS X client for TOR is that in your world of wealthy teenagers and unusually tech-savvy 80-year-olds, making an OS X client available will somehow bother the other customers at Starbucks?

Did I get that right? ;)