Legacy - Birthright

solnar_xan

Why would I want to buy this Birthright gear that is good for only a few levels and BARELY better than full purple moded orange gear?

So I can use it on a second level 14 _______ are you kidding me? The gear should scale at least that would make it worth the 200 daily coms it costs for ONE piece.

The over priced orange at least can be modded, but even then I'm never going to have a second ________ to send it too, and there are no augment slot so at lvl 50 my 1mil credit gear is useless.

Legacy = FAIL.

Seriously though, can anyone give me a reason why I would want the birthright gear?

Why would I want to buy this Birthright gear that is good for only a few levels and BARELY better than full purple moded orange gear?

So I can use it on a second level 14 _______ are you kidding me? The gear should scale at least that would make it worth the 200 daily coms it costs for ONE piece.

The over priced orange at least can be modded, but even then I'm never going to have a second ________ to send it too, and there are no augment slot so at lvl 50 my 1mil credit gear is useless.

Legacy = FAIL.

Seriously though, can anyone give me a reason why I would want the birthright gear?

timesink. people have to do something with their time...if there is a piece of eq in the game no matter how crappy there will be some guy who wants to collect it

the only logical thing i can think of is they expected it to be bought by your "main" to send to an alt...but thats pretty weak...

as it is...oh good 100 daily coms to buy a set of lvl 14 boots that can only be used by one class and theyre replaced by lvl 20 at the latest...

It seems like they really thought this would be a good idea , but it was thought up by someone who doesnt actually play the game :)

I get the time sink and I get that I want to buy the stuff with my main and send it to an alt, but at this point the only thing it does is save me a few credits if for example I am twinking my alt with artifice + cybertech

Maybe its for 5 years from now when I have 50000 daily coms?

I've said before that this is the best MMO I've played to date, and I meant that, but this legacy gear is pretty weak. I am thankful that the orange legacy gear helps set a price bar for crafted orange gear, but idk

I'm on the fence right now about re-subscribing when my time is up in around 3 months, things like pointless time sinks aren't going to make me want to re-sub.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a good time sink. I mean that is what games are for to pass time and have fun. At least in wow the heirloom gear was of use, and actually something you should want. But, then rolling an alt in wow is a bit different you don't have to do the same story over and over and over there are in fact MANY, MANY different ways to get to max level... so playing the same class over again can be totally changed from that the last time NOT the exact same story with maybe a few conversation changes.

Here is my theory: if the legacy birthright gear scaled there would be no need tor the legacy custom/orange gear. If that is the case then maybe the birthright gear should not be in the game at all and AWESOME mods, armors,hilts etc that scale should be a birthright? then you can have the amazing scaling of WoW heirloom gear, that everyone who has heard of it, was hoping for and still have a very good use for the orange unlock gear. PLUS it could cost tons to pull out this AWESOME heirloom/legacy mod/armor/hilt and provide a money sink... but hey what do I know right only 30 years of gaming XP

Edited by solnar_xan

hmm i seem to have already done that. You can like it or not, but this is an MMORPG, MMORPGs are compared to WoW. WoW did "legacy" gear much better than SW:TOR birthright gear. The WoW gear is worth having the birthright gear must be an april fools joke they forgot to remove.

I have 4 mainhand weapon tokens and 2 glove tokens that were basically forced on me that i have no real use for and well I can't even sell or trade them so YAY; wasted bank space in the hope it will be useful one day. Well actually they will sit in a mail box but same concept.

Edit: this really makes no sense now, but it was in reply to a remark about comparing TOR to WoW

Edited by solnar_xan

While you're at it, tell them what you think they should do in a way that isn't "Make this exactly like the gear that levels up with you in WoW".

Make the gear orange, with slots. Have different/unique models with upgraded stats every 10 levels or so.

Make it so these stupidly overpriced chunks of mediocrity, aren't totally worthless after a few days of play.

Done.

I really had no intent to insult you...

And I had no intent of insulting you. I actually agree with your general premise. The birthright items ARE pretty useless. I really just meant that there was a way to say it without saying "Legacy = fail" or insulting the IQ of Bioware's staff, but I was cranky and made the mistake of posting before I had finished a cup of coffee, and I was a little flip instead of typing out what I really meant.

I don't know if a WoW-style heirloom is the answer. WoW heirlooms have made a complete mess out of PvP balance at lower levels. But SWTOR approaches low-level PvP very differently, so perhaps it could be evened out when they scale the character up to level 49.

Edited by amantheil

Presumably they just shouldn't have bothered with the commendation method of obtaining it? There ARE other ways to get the stuff that is less expensive. (though, I guess, if you're doing said stuff JUST for the birthright kits, it's pretty expensive. I've gotten both birthright and legacy kits from crew skill missions for "free".)

Make the gear orange, with slots. Have different/unique models with upgraded stats every 10 levels or so.

Make it so these stupidly overpriced chunks of mediocrity, aren't totally worthless after a few days of play.

Done.

Those are interesting ideas, but wouldn't that just turn it into "more of the same" as there are already plenty of orange outfits to buy from vendors?