Should I read Red Harvest?

chiefdano

oh yes you can have you seen The Walking Dead? it's just horrible.

Don't blame the Zombies. Blame the fact that its based on a forever stalling comic series. That comic series was nice in the beginning, but now its just the same thing over and over again... always on the move. Nothing interesting.

Its at #96, I'm giving it until #100 or I'm dropping it.

^Sorry, Off-Topic Nerd moment..

I wouldn't. It's set in the TOR timeline, but it has jack nothing to do with it. It was basically just Lucas trying to say that Midichlorians existed back then. I tried giving the book a shot. I really did. But the first damn line where it read "midichlorians", I shut the damn thing and threw it against the wall. That whole thing is pointless and I can't stand it. I was immediately disappointed with it.

Uh. explain...

the first 2 episodes where fantastic. They did an amazing job of taking the comic and making it into a believable world. They stuck with the comic and it worked out perfectly. Then they decided to add their own crap into. All the extra characters who are just your standard sterotypes and it started to go down hill.

To top off season 1 they ended with a horrible 2 part episode inside the CDC where they actually tried to explain the zombies. The one thing you never want to do is explain zombies. It just never works. Then they added in the stupid "green" message about how this is all because we still use fossil fuels.

Season 2. Started out ok although you still have a bunch of unnecessary characters and it goes down hill.

My biggest problem is the characters constantly doing incredibly stupid things.

Here is your typical scene from Season 2.

Person 1 "Look over there there is someone just standing there"

person 2 "is it a zomibe? Hey you there are you a zombie"

very obviously a zombie " GGGRRRRRRR"

person 1 "hmmm not sure could be a survivor better get closer"

person 2 walks towards the zombie "Hey are you ok are you a zombie??"

very obviously a zombie Person 1 " Oh my god I can't beleive there are zombies here"

How many zombies do you have to run into until you can figure out that a person who doesn't respond is a zombie.

It's sad because the comic is absoutley amazing. BTW i didn't start reading the comic till AFTER the first 4 episodes.

Oh and the end of season 2 was absolutely stupid. Michone does not work in the world they created. They did an amazing job making it feel like a real world and to add a charachter like Michone in it is just silly. You might as well have had Superman come down it would make just as much sense. Michone is a purely comic character she can't exist in the same way that she does in the comic. It's like the Batman villan Onomatopoeia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia_(comics)

he works great in the comics but he could never work in the movies.

the first 2 episodes where fantastic. They did an amazing job of taking the comic and making it into a believable world. They stuck with the comic and it worked out perfectly. Then they decided to add their own crap into.

Strangely enough, that reminds me of the 2 hour series premiere of Legend of the Seeker a few years back. Stuck DAMN close to "Wizard's First Rule" for about half the book. Then the rest of the first season was garbage... except for Bridget Regan getting nekkid... xD

And don't EVEN get me started on Season 2.... :p

That comic series was nice in the beginning, but now its just the same thing over and over again... always on the move. Nothing interesting.

Its at #96, I'm giving it until #100 or I'm dropping it.

^Sorry, Off-Topic Nerd moment..

They haven't been on the move for a very long time now. They'll actually never be on the move again.

The comics got better and better until volume 8. Then they got really bad for a while.

Then around 10 they got amazing again. Then they stagnated a bit, and until 16 they've been better than ever. There's an actual solid ensemble cast of characters you care about and relate to after Fear the Hunters.

Volume 16 was very flat and boring, but it was setup for what's coming, so it's not all bad.

Because it's a zombie apocalypse story, there's going to be a degree of repetition, but Kirkman has never repeated himself. The story stagnates when he runs out of ideas, not repeats.

That said, if you've read volume 16, you can probably tell the story is coming to a close within the next few years.

the first 2 episodes where fantastic. They did an amazing job of taking the comic and making it into a believable world. They stuck with the comic and it worked out perfectly. Then they decided to add their own crap into. All the extra characters who are just your standard sterotypes and it started to go down hill.

To top off season 1 they ended with a horrible 2 part episode inside the CDC where they actually tried to explain the zombies. The one thing you never want to do is explain zombies. It just never works. Then they added in the stupid "green" message about how this is all because we still use fossil fuels.

Season 2. Started out ok although you still have a bunch of unnecessary characters and it goes down hill.

My biggest problem is the characters constantly doing incredibly stupid things.

Here is your typical scene from Season 2.

Person 1 "Look over there there is someone just standing there"

person 2 "is it a zomibe? Hey you there are you a zombie"

very obviously a zombie " GGGRRRRRRR"

person 1 "hmmm not sure could be a survivor better get closer"

person 2 walks towards the zombie "Hey are you ok are you a zombie??"

very obviously a zombie Person 1 " Oh my god I can't beleive there are zombies here"

How many zombies do you have to run into until you can figure out that a person who doesn't respond is a zombie.

It's sad because the comic is absoutley amazing. BTW i didn't start reading the comic till AFTER the first 4 episodes.

Oh and the end of season 2 was absolutely stupid. Michone does not work in the world they created. They did an amazing job making it feel like a real world and to add a charachter like Michone in it is just silly. You might as well have had Superman come down it would make just as much sense. Michone is a purely comic character she can't exist in the same way that she does in the comic. It's like the Batman villan Onomatopoeia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia_(comics)

he works great in the comics but he could never work in the movies.

The show is meant to divert from the comic. It would be pointless otherwise. The changes were only a problem near the end of season 2, because they were unreasonable.

The explanation worked fine. It didn't create any trouble for the show. It actually removed much of the moral dilemma. Without the bit at the CDC, everything in season 2 with the barn would have been much less impactful. I don't see the point of the complaint.

Never once was it said that the zombie apocalypse happened because of fossil fuels. Jenner was making an analogy for how it is all borrowed time.

T-Dog's character was ultimately the only unnecessary one in season 2. A more valid complaint would be that too many characters were killed off without any meaning or character development.

Your conversation from season 2 never happened. Actually, the exact inverse of that happened when Andrea thought Daryl was a walker and shot him.

What you say about Michonne is probably your most accurate point. Michonne didn't become very realistic until volume 9 or 10 (approx) when she and Rick started sharing their delusions with each other. But the thing is all of the characters are more realistic in the television show. Some have even had their characters changed. Rick, Dale, and Andrea are all very different. So I'm guessing they will have more of an emphasis on the more realistic side of Michonne we saw later. However, the realistic Michonne was a little boring. So I'm reserving judgment on her television show persona.

That said, Daryl is basically a comic book character in a tv show and it works.

I had a lot of problems with season 2, mostly near the end, but this comment is long enough.

I'm just looking forward to when they introduce Abraham.

They haven't been on the move for a very long time now. They'll actually never be on the move again.

The comics got better and better until volume 8. Then they got really bad for a while.

Then around 10 they got amazing again. Then they stagnated a bit, and until 16 they've been better than ever. There's an actual solid ensemble cast of characters you care about and relate to after Fear the Hunters.

Volume 16 was very flat and boring, but it was setup for what's coming, so it's not all bad.

Because it's a zombie apocalypse story, there's going to be a degree of repetition, but Kirkman has never repeated himself. The story stagnates when he runs out of ideas, not repeats.

That said, if you've read volume 16, you can probably tell the story is coming to a close within the next few years.

The show is meant to divert from the comic. It would be pointless otherwise. The changes were only a problem near the end of season 2, because they were unreasonable.

The explanation worked fine. It didn't create any trouble for the show. It actually removed much of the moral dilemma. Without the bit at the CDC, everything in season 2 with the barn would have been much less impactful. I don't see the point of the complaint.

Never once was it said that the zombie apocalypse happened because of fossil fuels. Jenner was making an analogy for how it is all borrowed time.

T-Dog's character was ultimately the only unnecessary one in season 2. A more valid complaint would be that too many characters were killed off without any meaning or character development.

Your conversation from season 2 never happened. Actually, the exact inverse of that happened when Andrea thought Daryl was a walker and shot him.

What you say about Michonne is probably your most accurate point. Michonne didn't become very realistic until volume 9 or 10 (approx) when she and Rick started sharing their delusions with each other. But the thing is all of the characters are more realistic in the television show. Some have even had their characters changed. Rick, Dale, and Andrea are all very different. So I'm guessing they will have more of an emphasis on the more realistic side of Michonne we saw later. However, the realistic Michonne was a little boring. So I'm reserving judgment on her television show persona.

That said, Daryl is basically a comic book character in a tv show and it works.

I had a lot of problems with season 2, mostly near the end, but this comment is long enough.

I'm just looking forward to when they introduce Abraham.

nope there is no reason to divert from the comics at all. They originally said they were going to stick to the comics. The problem is what AMC has been doing they didn't realize it was going to be a huge hit.

So AMC's other show Mad Men has been a critical success but it can't find an auidence so it has been losing money since it first aired. Walking Dead however has been a huge hit. So they have taken the money from Walking Dead and given it to Mad Men to keep making that. They have even gone as far as to cut Walking Dead's budget.

This is one of the reasons that Robert Kirkman and Jeffrey DeMunn both left the series.

The scene I described DID happen remember the zomibe in the tent?

Daryl isn't a comic character he is your typical Hollywood Redneck and yes he is the most interesting character. Which is sad considering how interesting everyone else is in the comic.

I would write more but I have to go to work.

edit: oh and I didn't say the Zombie Apocalypse happens because of fossil fuels.

Edited by jarjarloves

I could care less about zombies, I am 30 years old

I was worried it was not in line with the rest of the story, and it turns out it isn't. So I may skip it. I made the mistake of reading Crimson Empire, and it was pretty crappy

Star Wars. Zombies. That alone means you should read it.

Im still hoping LA picks up my idea about a headless zombie Jango Fett. He could lead an army of zombie clone troopers and search he galaxy for a worthy head to put on his body.

Star Wars: Jango Fett: Headhunter SOMEBODY WRITE THIS BOOK :D