The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The best/ wosrt part about being a Vanguard

joshohelp

Hello Vanguards of the republic, what do you think the best/ worst part of being a vanguard is

Best

- One of the best tanks in game

- Sheild spec tree and it's survivability increase

- excellent soloist in PvE content

Worst

- basically no match for MULTIPLE melee classes at once

Edited by joshohelp

Best:

-Excellent tanking abilities

-PVE Soloist

-Strong in PVP vs. majority of classes (good damage and solid burst)

Worst

-Very gear dependant

-No match against good marauders/sentinels and assassins/shadows.

I agree with the gear dependent thing.. because without the right gear stats vanguards are useless... especially for those of us who tank

Hello Vanguards of the republic, what do you think the best/ worst part of being a vanguard is

Best

- One of the best tanks in game

- Sheild spec tree and it's survivability increase

- excellent soloist in PvE content

Worst

- basically no match for close ranged melee classes ( for obvious reasons)

i disagree with some things:

1. there are far better pve soloist

2. your "worst": what are theso called obvious reasons? there is nothing obvious to me. i have no real issues with melee classes.

Worst

Not always true. Very much depends on the situation of the fight as well as who has the initiative and more cooldowns available at the time.

Worst:

- No escape abilities - once you've started a fight you better finish it, or you die.

In regards to Vanguard as a DPS class:

Best:

• When anyone see's that Vanguard icon over you they assume you are a Tank. Imagine their surprise when you unload a ton of hurt on them.
  • Assuming you are a tank Players tend to ignore you first and go for the Healers / other DPS
  • In PvE you can fulfill the role of both Ranged DPS or Melee DPS. Melee is better of course but at least it is an option.
  • As Mentioned. Harpoon in Huttball. Suck the carrier into the Acid and then Cryo Grenade. Watch them Suffer!!

Worst:

• Much more squishy in DPS mode than Tank mode (But still tougher than most)
  • No knockback

Eh, IMO, a Vanguard can beat any class, assuming equal gear. Sentinels/Marauders can be tricky, but it is possible to beat them. And speaking as a lvl 50 Shadow, Powertechs/Vanguards are one of the hardest classes for us to take down. If an Assassin gets the jump on a Vanguard and has all their cooldowns, the Vanguard will lose. But without cooldowns or caught at range, the Assassin doesn't stand much of a chance. Vanguards can even negate both escape skills. There's nothing more frustrating than sprinting away only to be pulled back with Harpoon. Edited by Philosomanic

Speaking as a Tanking Vanguard:

BEST

• Consistency - The majority of our attacks are Tech attacks and/or elemental attacks. Accuracy and Armor are a non isssue. If you expect to hit something for X damage, you'll hit just about everything for that same X damage.
  • Durability - I'm a tank and I feel like it. Plain and simple. I don't feel squishy.
  • Simplicity - We are very straight forward to play. We don't have any of the finicky or fragility lots of other specs and classes have. We aren't worrying if someone will break our CC chain, or if our DPS combo will be interrupt or whatnot. We have variety without sacrificing dependability.

WORST

• Recovery - I don't really have many ways to dig myself OUT of a hole. Once my Medpack and Adrenal Rush are gone, that's pretty much it. I can slow the bleeding, but I can't stop it. I feel very tethered to Elara (or actual player healers). It's not really something I actually think needs to be addressed at all, but it is a weakness of the spec that I take into account.
  • Escape - Someone else already mentioned this one, but once I'm in a fight, I am in it till I win or die. Barring a incredibly lucky charge target, there is no real way for a tanking Vanguard to escape any kind of confrontation... and no real reason too. Not like I can hide behind a pillar and cast a few heals on myself. Again, nothing I really think needs attention in anyway, just a noteworthy limitation of the spec.

Best:

-Excellent tanking abilities

-PVE Soloist

-Strong in PVP vs. majority of classes (good damage and solid burst)

Worst

-Very gear dependant

I won't argue pvp standpoints since I don't do much of it.

That said, I have to disagree with number 1. We have one great tanking CD, one okay CD and one terrible self-heal. VGs kinda got screwed for CDs in pve tanking. Heavy armor helps to mitigate that a little bit, but I see the difference between myself and our guild's shadow tank and have to wonder how the devs think these two classes are balanced from that standpoint.

I'm not complaining just to complain (we cleared NiM in previous tier and just downed HM Toth/Zorn Sunday night so we're still managing progression. I will always agree that a better player can hide imperfections of an inferior class), it just seems like I work a good bit harder to manage less than the mitigation he manages. I customized almost all of my enhancements and a mod or two out of my Rakata gear for mitigation stats while he's still running around with almost full accuracy and still doesn't get trucked like I do.

We have a knockback, it is slow do.

Best is harpoone o i love that skill, like when you manage to pull the ballcarrier 1m from to goal line in huttball and at the same time jump down from the bridge so he ends up down under.

Worse is we only have 1 skill to get out of stuns and it dont add a imunity for x sec.

Worst part of the class is still having to use auto attack.

Complaining about Hammer Shot shows you don't tank at all. It's a great ability to use to keep generating threat from range, an advantage other tank classes don't enjoy.

for some reason, when im playing my vanguard I feel like a hero taking on 5 enemies at once

usually taking on a boss and beating him the first try.. and soloing a champion sometimes.. it's just like.. we're unbeatable.. then I switch to my jedi guardian and i'm like.. ***

Best

• Massive, mind-blowing amount of AoE
  • Melee/Range hybrid class
  • Strong, reliable cooldowns
  • Challenging resource mechanic
  • Stockstrike on a Sith with a lightsaber in each hand.
  • Harpoon on anything and everything.
  • 8s Interrupt

Worst

• People think I'm a tank
  • I no longer enjoy my Shadow
  • No escape skills
  • Backpacks on chest armor
  • Ugly low-level rifles

Edited by Philosomanic

Best

• Massive, mind-blowing amount of AoE
  • Melee/Range hybrid class
  • Strong, reliable cooldowns
  • Challenging resource mechanic
  • Stockstrike on a Sith with a lightsaber in each hand.
  • Harpoon on anything and everything.
  • 8s Interrupt

Worst

• People think I'm a tank
  • I no longer enjoy my Shadow
  • No escape skills
  • Backpacks on chest armor
  • Ugly low-level rifles

the backpacks dont even flow right with the movement of your character :D