Will you take Sniper/Gunslingers in Ranked Warzone?

il-jumper

People look down on Snipers/Gunslingers because there are so few good ones. When I say that, being "good" has less to do with spec and how you efficiently push your buttons and more to do with maximizing your tools in the group atmosphere. I can't tell you how many times that I see a Sniper never move beyond their own catwalk in HB. They drop into cover and turn into turrets because they don't think that they're capable of anything more. That means that they get ***** once the opposing team clues into what is going on and obliterates them.

So, in turn, the community sees the class as a zero utility, zero survivability turret class that becomes a major liability if they're forced to move.

This is pretty much why players frown upon sniper/gunslinger class.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that but snipers are easily the most immobile class in the game.

Snipers are significantly more mobile than Mercenaries. While Snipers have to drop into cover for some of their best abilities, dropping into cover doesn't really take any extra time. Mercenaries have to stop and cast their abilities, which is just as immobilizing as cover, and they actually have significantly fewer instant abilities than Snipers.

Snipers are actually good protection zones for healers as well. Have your healer stand right on top of the sniper. Ambush, discharge, multiple cc's, etc help protect the healer from melee. The sniper may not be mobile, but can act as a bodyguard of sorts to a healer, if they need a protection area from melee. The knockbacks and roots + high burst are great for buying healers extra time.

Hell yea I'd take a sniper on my team.

Mine is currently only lvl 32, but still wrecks in lowbie pvp.

The ones in our guild who are 50 rock as well.

Serious dps.

It's like any other class. As long as the person has a brain behind the keyboard playing the class, they will rock.

Each class has its place and role in PVP, it's just most do it wrong.....

There are advantages behind a sniper/gs that many ppl can't see... ( which is sad for them )

They can't be leaped to or pulled while under cover

They can totally immune themselves to any CC effect up to 15s and become impossible to move for that duration.

they got :

A short cooldown root that builds 0 resolve and can pin down someone for 6 seconds.

an Aoe Knockback/Root

a melee stun

a ranged 10 metter radius mezz for up to 5 targets

an aoe attack that deals huge elemental damages in a wide area.

a very good overall burst when you use appropriate rotations.

In an organized group, when properly protected, the sniper is something to have.

Someone who gets it :)

Most people have an awareness which doesnt go beyond 5m of their characters. That's why a lot of people ignore healers.

So if they die they think most of the time "Hmm there was a melee on me! He probably killed me". Tracer Missile / Grav Round have very unique sounds to it, so most people realize as well when they die to Mercs/Commandos.

Sorcs/Sages have a lot of visual effects (lightning!).

Gunslingers / Snipers are the silent killers from afar. Most people dont know that they were killed by them. And if you dont die because of a class, that class is obviously useless (and if they die that class is OP).

Edited by Zocat

Well on my Sniper I'm always top damage by at least 100k ahead of 2nd person. But other then that I give no ulitiy. Ranked WZ will be about utility and teamwork..

Now this is someone who really gets it. All the others I'm guessing have no idea what ranked will actually involve involve, all they see is ohhh a sniper did "MAD DAMAGE" in a WZ.

I'm going to tell you something... Damage accounts for very little without utility. Till you understand that I will continue to think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Most people have an awareness which doesnt go beyond 5m of their characters.

So wait... Snipers are good in rated WZs because people will be tunnel visioning trash? Have you no sense of logic?

Edited by Izshin

Sniper are up there with the strongest PvPers pre 50. After 50 they are only good for..

Platform area denial in hutt ball.

Avg duration denial of capping/bomb planting with orbital. (unless you die which cancels the effect)

And healer hunting.

Their burst is pretty high but.... Only every 30 secs with explosive probe up. (marks spec) otherwise its mediocre at best even with a shatter shot -> insta snipe (with maybe the 100% snipe crit ability -> hasted ambust from overkill -> Follow through

All of the above jobs can be done better by other classes who also bring more to the table. Not only that but snipers are easily the most immobile class in the game.

As always a good premade make up will always take skill over class, yet I would take a skilled player of any class anyday over a sniper.

50 BM Sniper, 50 BM Marauder, 50 BM Jugg, 50 Conqueror Sorc. For what its worth.

^ Gets it. Not only one of the most immobile but the weakest defensively.

There just is no reason what so ever to bring a sniper to ranked wz.

I take a Gunslinger EVERYWARZONE I can. Gunslingers put up NASTY Burst and can't be leapt too.

Guardian, Councelor or Sawbones, Sentinal and Gunslinger is one of my favorite load outs for a WZ. The councelor / sawbones keeps us up, I throw guard around and dps with the Sent and Slinger, while keeping an eye on our healer. Works great... Matter of fact this will be the core of my rated team if things work out well.

Edited by VoidJustice

There are advantages behind a sniper/gs that many ppl can't see... ( which is sad for
Well on my Sniper I'm always top damage by at least 100k ahead of 2nd person. But other then that I give no ulitiy. Ranked WZ will be about utility and teamwork..

I beg to differ.

You're utility comes from massive dps that makes people react differently.

Waste CC's and cooldowns on you because they do not understand how your bunker works.

A root that doesn't eat up someone's resolve... Ummm Yes please, may I have another. :D

AOE orbital strike to stop someone from capping or to make people scatter, reposition which in turn stops them from what they were originally doing.

A snipe shot straight to a a knockback and root. Hot damn! doesnt get much more sexy than that.

As long as your hot keys are bound properly and you are using the right rotation you can burst some dps fast to drop someone who is just below 1/2 health.

Ranged stun for 5 people at once. Umm yea super utility.

Utility is what you make of it.

Sure you can sit back and just use explosive probe, snipe, ambush, etc and DPs till the cows come home.

But if you really think about what your doing rather than button mashing you have tons of utility that can help out a team tremendously.

If people can't see what sniper brings to a group, then they're not very familiar with the class. Unlike damage and healing, crowd control isn't quantified.

Things is.... EVERY CLASS HAS FORMS OF CC... The only thing a sniper brings to the table is a 6sec root which breaks after 2 secs if damage is applied.... which it will and a armour/healing debuff. You know seeing as lethality seems to be FoTM atm among snipers.

The 20% shield is nice in certain defensive positions but I would rather another guard or an AoE taunt.... I'm not saying that Snipers are inherently bad, I'm saying that there are other classes bring muuuuuch more utility to a rated WZ comp than them.

Of course there are exceptional players of the class... But I would rather take them playing their under geared alt than their sniper.

Sure hope so! My main is a GS! =D

And I totally ****, especially when guarded and occasional heals :) But even w/out support, when played right a GS/Sniper will drop targets...we're just super squishy :)

I'm 70+ Valor BTW just so ya didn't think I was talkin bout 10-49 bracket :)

side note: GS/Sniper do still need a little love though (speed buff, heal, more out of cover abilities etc...) something to help keep us alive w/out a pocket healer.

My main is a sniper (I raid on him as well). At first I QQ'd constantly about how bad they sucked in PvP, easily melted, had to be a turret, can't do anything with objectives blah blah blah. I actually hated PvP'ing with him so much I got a sorcerer to 50 just for PvP. I still think the sorcerer is fun to heal with even post 1.2, I think the qq is way over the top.

My guild has plenty of healers, we found we were lacking in good dps. I said what the heck, lemme break out my sniper and see how he does. First off, I started with my sniper at release, and the cover mechanic was completely borked. It would take about 3 seconds for cover to actually work, and then you would have to wait for the cooldown to actually get off your ability.

Bioware fixed this, now the cover mechanic is near instant, making it much easier to mobilize and change position, which believe it or not is extremely important to snipe well. Contrary to what bad players will tell you, your job is to dominate and control an area. Get in a hard to get position with an escape route. You will not always kill your opponent, sometimes they will LOS you. Let them, and switch targets. If you run them off, you've kept them from doing what they want to be doing.

Pick off people that are low on health (especially if they are being ignored). Typically when people get low on health they will pop their temps to stay alive. That's where you insane burst comes in, it will burst down the healers that get down to 30 or 40% health with a well timed ranged interupt.

Keep targets off your healers, let them know you are doing this for them so they can plan their strat accordingly.

Flashbang is an escape tool for me. That op/smug pops on me? That warrior gets in my face? Flashbang them for 8 seconds and get near my team.

It really is a L2P issue. Boy did I suck at it until I took the time to figure out how to play it well. It is an extremely strategic and effective toon to play, but takes intelligence and skill to play well.

So wait... Snipers are good in rated WZs because people will be tunnel visioning trash? Have you no sense of logic?

LOl on my server you see people tunnel visioning me ignoring objective. quite funny seeing 5 republics chasing me back and for when we own 3 turrets in civil war

Now this is someone who really gets it. All the others I'm guessing have no idea what ranked will actually involve involve, all they see is ohhh a sniper did "MAD DAMAGE" in a WZ.

I'm going to tell you something... Damage accounts for very little without utility. Till you understand that I will continue to think you have no idea what you're talking about.

On paper, damage numbers mean nothing, you're right. But snipers have possibly the best ability to burn down targets when played right. You can say that's not utility, but I"ll disagree with you 'til I die.

Just because someone did the most damage doesn't mean they're the best player in the warzone, but when that person does tons of damage AND drops important targets quickly and efficiently that is some of the best utility you can provide. There will be other players on your team to throw out stuns, heal, tank, etc. Similar to Marauders, they have very little control, but make up for it with massive damage that can be dealt at long range. Every team needs to be able to kill as quickly as possible, even in objective based play. Your enemy isn't clicking objectives if they're dead. That's the best CC of all, sending them to the respawn chamber.

Waste CC's and cooldowns on you because they do not understand how your bunker works.

If you dont understand what bunkers does... Why are you in rated warzones, scrub.

A root that doesn't eat up someone's resolve... Ummm Yes please, may I have another. :D

Yeah for a whole 2 seconds before it breaks due to damage.

AOE orbital strike to stop someone from capping or to make people scatter, reposition which in turn stops them
from what they were originally doing.

Granted its decent to stop capping for the duration, but, repositioning? Please. If you cant see how far to actually move due to the template... why are you in rated WZ's again?

A snipe shot straight to a a knockback and root. Hot damn! doesnt get much more sexy than that.

Great you have done 2.5-4k damage and blow 2 decent duration CD's. Think before you type.

As long as your hot keys are bound properly and you are using the right rotation you can burst some dps fast to

Wait you're saying other classes don't have burst DPS.... This is getting too easy.

drop someone who is just below 1/2 health.

Read above.

Ranged stun for 5 people at once. Umm yea super utility.

That relies on 5 people being bunched up and 1 person being in rage of the other 4? See Jugg can do this by positioning himself and no relying on their own bad positioning.

Another person that thinks sniper is a good class because it relies on other people being bad... Nothing to see here folks.

Your enemy isn't clicking objectives if they're dead. That's the best CC of all, sending them to the respawn chamber.[/Quote]

The rest of the post garbled rubbish. This mostly so. Just because a sniper tops damage with / against a terrible pug team has 0 bearing on the transition it will make into ranked WZ's. You know that lethality sniper that did 700k + damgame against a bunch of pugs? That will only happen on rated if the other team has terrible healers that don't have purge keybound or know how to look for debuffs while healing.

This is pure fact. Don't judge the class based on what you see in unrated unless you are in on a premade vs premade... That is just a decent player beating on terrible players... I know, I do it all the time on my BM Sniper.

Edited by Izshin

The utility brought to a team by Gunslingers is rarely seen or noticed. I found this out early on. This is even more apparent if/when specc'd as a Saboteur. On my GS, I will forgo dps occasionally in a wz just to concentrate more on cc. It all just depends on what the team is doing or seems to need more of. GS has very good utility. But, imo, this utility is not shown in the leaderboard stats. Go ahead and ignore GS/Sniper... smart teams with smart GS/Sniper will do very well in ranked wz's.

Izshan def doesn't like Snipers/GSs.

Again, if you play a GS/Sniper, you know what utility you bring. If you don't, you're pretty much going to think of the ACs as mindless turret monkeys that dont' do anything other than DPS. A lot of the utility that the class brings isn't even recognized because there is no coordination in PUG WZs.

I've played Engineering since release and I love it. I don't have the point and shoot DPS of Marksmanship nore do I have the mobility of Lethality. I'm a bit in the middle. With my tools, I can marginally CC up to 8 different players. 30m mezz on 3, DoT slow on a 4th, root a 5th, and AoE slow 6-8 (and stunning the 4th with the DoT probe if he falls within my probe AoE). I can deny a cap point by way of a probe and orbital strike. I can momentarily area protect a healer if I sit on them. I bring added phsyical damage by way of my armor debuff AND I reduce the amount of healing a character will receive with that same buff.

The problem is that in PUG WZs, there is a massive amount of unnecessary layered CC. I'll AoE mez and then someone with stun one of my targets for no reason. Or you'll get mass amounts of knockbacks on full resolve targets. Worse yet, I'll CC people and then the DPS monkeys will break it all so that they can win the score board. Sniper utility is fragile at best. If people don't take advantage of it, that doesn't fall on me.