Razor Swtor Mouse JUST PASS IT UP!!

BeeRye

Just wanted to post my experience, which seems to be many other's, with the Razor SWTOR edition mouse. I had to order it from GameStop, even paid extra to have it overnight shipped. When I went to install it on my brand new Samsung Laptop, running windows 7, intel i7 8 Gb RAM blah blah blah, the mouse was killed. The lights came on when I plugged it in, I downloaded the driver and followed all instructions to the letter, and all seemed fine. I then plugged in the Dock and nothing. I followed instructions for this too, downloaded the new firmware for it and still nothing. I was able to get it working at some point, don't remember how, but this didn't matter. I then plugged the mouse in to update the firmware and bam, no lights no response, just nothing. My computer didn't register it anymore, and from then forward just a few hours of frustration for no purpose. Next day I went to Best Buy and talked to someone who mentioned everyone complaining about the same issue. He recommended the Razor epic, which is the same thing basically, just not licensed SWTOR, so I reluctantly purchased it, took it home and it works great. Still has the same buttons and macros, the same "pretty lights", but this one even came with three grip options, which I thought was cool. The mouse loaded and works great, the dock works great, works great in wired and wireless modes, and I even think the all black with red lights looks a hell of a lot more "Sith like" (hehe) than the SWTOR edition mouse.

So in summation, don't waste your time with the licensed mouse. If you like it, just get the epic. Same thing expect it actually works. If you need to, just put a faction sticker on it and there you go. I even think I have an extra one if you want it. I hope I saved at least one person $130 and a little less aggravation. PEACE!

Sucks that it happened to you, but as a person in the business (I do computer sales as well as technical), you may have just gotten a dud out of the box. Sucks when it happens, but it happens. but that's why they have return/exchange/warranty policies. That being said, I actually got the Razer Naga Epic for Christmas from my lovely girlfriend, and I love this mouse. I don't know how I could play this game without it.

Mine works just fine. just took me awhile to get use to the fact that will go to sleep and not work at first after its been sitting awhile. you have to wake it back up. also there is a switch on the bottom set to wireless when your using it and back to dock when your charging it. I have to say out of any mouse I have every used in my life this mouse was the most responsive and highest resolution I have ever seen.. something I would never expect to see in a wireless application.

On another note.. I have not gotten use to using the keypad on the side yet.. every time i try to press them.. I slightly raise the side of the mouse unwittingly and it stops moving around as expected. Just have to psych myself out not to lift the mouse to one side when I'm pressing side buttons :p

Edited by TuF_WOLVERINE

I hear you that it was probably just a dud in the bunch; but there just seems to be a hell of a lot of duds out there. I've seen several posts, even here in different threads, on the same issue; or if you search a little in general on the Internet. I'm sincerely glad that those who have working ones are happy with them, but after using the Naga Epic, just fantastic. Wouldn't even want the Licensed one now if it did work. Thanks for the input!

Just a note dud-wolverene, if you had the regular Naga epic, you may not have the issue with lifting the mouse using the keypad because of the three different grip choices it offers. It also feels a lot better in your hand in general because of a soft "rubberized" feeling plastic and it's more sculpted to your palm. Granted you can't change faction cymbals on it etc. When you change the lighting on the Epic, the wheel and keypad change, not just the wheel like the SWTOR edition. That matters little to me, just thought I'd illustrate a little in case someone out there is trying to make a decision on their gaming mouse of choice. And trust me, was well aware of the wired/wireless switch and all the other features. I'm always extra anal when it comes to loading software and programs with windows. I'm a Mac guy normally, but since it's not really an option to play this on Mac, at least without a lot of headaches of installing windows in a boot camp type program, but I'm getting off the subject. Anyways thank you again for your input, and I'm glad you got a good one and are happy with it. Im waiting on the back ordered licensed keyboard still an am looking forward to having that too. I've heard much better things about that peripheral.

One bad mouse doesn't make for a whole product line... Bad luck for you, but these things do happen.

Not surprised that the Best Buy guy said that, he was preening another sale. Did you actually return the mouse to Gamestop for a replacement?

Edited by Catch_TwentyTwo

Glad you like the one you got. If I had to choose between the two (assuming no duds), I still probably would have taken the regular Naga epic over the SWTOR one, because of the extra lighting, and the interchangeable grips.

I use a laptop mostly though so I don't really have the option (yet) to use the SWTOR Keyboard, but here's hoping your experience is a good one with that!

I did get the SWTOR Razer Headset, and I must say I am loving that one. The only gripe I have is, while the underear lighting can be changed, the side panel lighting doesn't change with it. Only a minor nuance, but a nuance nonetheless. I enjoy the sound quality of it, and have had no issues (knock on wood).

Oh I totally hear you catch twenty two, and like I said in the last replies, for those who got good ones and like them, I'm genuinely happy for them. I am just trying to give a little bit of subjective insight on the product from my experience, and I totally think the Epic is an all around better mouse, especially since its basically the same thing as the licensed one, just with some minor extras and a different look. I'm by no means trying to start and anti SWTOR razor mouse campaign. I DO hope this will help other consumers make a more educated decision on this product and not just jump on it because it's a licensed product. I do believe if you scrape the paint and emblems off the licensed mouse, no one would choose it over the epic. But I respect the fact, especially to collectors, that those things are more important than others. Thanks for your input as well!

Yomitako, Thanks and I have the headset too, an it is AWESOME. I had the same gripe with the lighting, but yeah the sound is fantastic and they feel good to wear. I also like the volume controls and mute on the right ear, and same controls for the mic on the left. But yeah, definately a solid product!! I'll make sure to let you know on the keyboard, I'm actually using it with my lap top when I'm home. Maybe not all the time, like if I'm playing in bed or something, but I intend to hook up my external display and just close my laptop and play with the keyboard and mouse. Can't say I'll take it out on the road, but figured it'd be a cool periphial to have at home.

There's a better reason to pass it up - part of the money for it is going to licensing. If it costs as much as the Epic, that means that probably explains the missing grip options. Taking those out helped pay the licensing costs to use the Star Wars name.... :p (no, haven't checked actual pricing on any of those.)

Forgot to answer your question there Catch twenty two, I am just returning the mouse to GameStop because I don't want the headache of waiting for another one in the mail and having the possibility of getting another dud. And the decision wasn't only based on the Best Buy guy, he had absolutely no benefit of swaying me either way. Not like like he even rang me up, I just talked to him in the aisle and grabbed it to take up front. Regardless I read a lot of comments on this site and others of people having the same "duds". It was just too big a sample size for me to feel comfortable, since I didn't even have to dig much to find the repeat issue with them. There may only be a handful, and maybe I just happened to read the only 20 cases anyone will ever have with the mouse, but I just didn't want to take that chance. Then the whole "return it to the retailer" email I got from razor tech support, that they sent without even asking more than what I told them in the initial email, tells me they might know there's a pretty good amount of duds out there. That sealed the deal for me to find a better option, and for me, it was the razor epic. Again, that's my choice and I don't expect everyone should come on that same conclusion. I just know I would have liked to have read the comments in this thread before I bought the licensed mouse. So I hope again this is helpful to someone else out there.

Good point Nexdine, and they cost exactly the same. $130 for the SWTOR and $130 for the wireless epic. Where did that money go? Maybe the grips? Maybe overall quality? Maybe programming? Who knows. But again, good point!

LoL I was like damnnnnn your passionate about hating SWTOR razor mouse lol

Hahahaha I know right!!! Damn iPhones and their autocorrect. I mean why dud? How about "the" or at least "did". I'll never understand....and the day I do put me in a straight jacket!

Hahahaha I know right!!! Damn iPhones and their autocorrect. I mean why dud? How about "the" or at least "did". I'll never understand....and the day I do put me in a straight jacket!

I can and will attest to this one. I can not count how many times now Steve Jobs has screwed me from the grave so far. I like my iPhone and all but sometimes I have to wonder about masochist who wrote the autocorrection software for the iOS platforms. I have seen some royal doozies too.

• 7 months later...
When you change the lighting on the Epic, the wheel and keypad change, not just the wheel like the SWTOR edition. That matters little to me, just thought I'd illustrate a little in case someone out there is trying to make a decision on their gaming mouse of choice.

Wish I payed more attention to this. I was getting a new Naga for my new gaming laptop and decided to get the SWTOR one because of the color crystal.

Found out just this minute that only the scroll wheel changes color, so annoying, seems pointless. Wish I bought the standard Naga now. Also, I need to shell out 250K credits just to get the upgraded green/black crystals.

I might send it back for a regular Naga Epic.

If the battery was initially dead, and you didn't allow the mouse to charge before trying to use it, that may have given the appearance of a problem.

If you then attempted to flash the firmware on the mouse with a very low battery and the power died in the middle of the firmware update, the mouse would be well and truly hosed.

If I had to guess, I would say this is what happened, because you seemed to be in a hurry to use your new mouse.

Any time you buy a device with a rechargeable battery, make sure the battery is fully charged before first use.

Even if the indicator lights say the device is charged, turn the device off and set it no the cradled for a couple of hours anyway. Sometimes indicator lights lie like dogs when a device is first activated. On some devices the battery charge indicator is calibrated the first time you switch it on.

Meaning, no matter what the current charge is, the indicator will read full, until it detects the battery is charging. When the battery stops charging due to resistance and the charging is automatically stopped, the indicator should be good to go.

Not every device works this way... but better safe than bricked from a failed firmware push.

I used a logitech MX1000 that lasted almost ten years before I got my wired razer nagga mmo.

That mx 1000 still works. The battery lasts for days. After eight years nearly continuous use.

it sits on my desk still, in it's cradle, it's place of honor secure as the best engineered mouse I've ever laid my hands on.

But 12 thumb buttons and a wire instead of a battery that could die in the middle of a raid where just too good to pass up.

Edited by Slipfeed

I hear you that it was probably just a dud in the bunch; but there just seems to be a hell of a lot of duds out there. I've seen several posts, even here in different threads, on the same issue; or if you search a little in general on the Internet

Have you checked to find out how many have been sold vs how many stopped working? What's the failure rate? I can find complaints about a lot of things online, and that means nothing.

Just wanted to post my experience, which seems to be many other's, with the Razor SWTOR edition mouse. I had to order it from GameStop, even paid extra to have it overnight shipped. When I went to install it on my brand new Samsung Laptop, running windows 7, intel i7 8 Gb RAM blah blah blah, the mouse was killed. The lights came on when I plugged it in, I downloaded the driver and followed all instructions to the letter, and all seemed fine. I then plugged in the Dock and nothing. I followed instructions for this too, downloaded the new firmware for it and still nothing. I was able to get it working at some point, don't remember how, but this didn't matter. I then plugged the mouse in to update the firmware and bam, no lights no response, just nothing. My computer didn't register it anymore, and from then forward just a few hours of frustration for no purpose. Next day I went to Best Buy and talked to someone who mentioned everyone complaining about the same issue. He recommended the Razor epic, which is the same thing basically, just not licensed SWTOR, so I reluctantly purchased it, took it home and it works great. Still has the same buttons and macros, the same "pretty lights", but this one even came with three grip options, which I thought was cool. The mouse loaded and works great, the dock works great, works great in wired and wireless modes, and I even think the all black with red lights looks a hell of a lot more "Sith like" (hehe) than the SWTOR edition mouse.

So in summation, don't waste your time with the licensed mouse. If you like it, just get the epic. Same thing expect it actually works. If you need to, just put a faction sticker on it and there you go. I even think I have an extra one if you want it. I hope I saved at least one person $130 and a little less aggravation. PEACE!

Lad, I had very, very experience with my Razer TOR headset. Sound quality is awful, it's not comfortable and gives a massive headache. And razer Synapse is very slow and crashes a lot.

I have the Fatal1ty headset from Creative, it's old and microphone broke so I decided it's time to replace it. If the mic didn't break i'd stay with it - sound quality is wonderful and it's all very clean. TOR headset is just ridiculous.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

So you're telling us that SWTOR is sooooooo bad that even the Razer Epic mouse stops working only because they painted something related to SWTOR on top of it? Cause that's basically the only difference between the regular and the licensed version.

It's crazy what people invent only to make this game look bad.