Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This just in about the Sentinel!

Pyconn

THIS JUST IN!!!

SENTINELS STILL SUCK!!!

I know its crazy to come and post this here, but I am just venting... Playing a sentinel late 20's and into the 30s around areas that are yellow (average for the level) is like smashing my head against the wall repeatedly. Don't even think about taking on an equal level elite or one that is even one level below you.... and before anyone says "well its an elite" well when you are forced by class story to take it on solo (with companion).

If you play a sentinel I am sure many of you know the pain of DIEING ALL THE TIME! I have to blow every single cool down just to stay alive... I have played this class since the beta back in july, and I got to high 30s with moderate difficulty i mean it was challenging but not terrible... Now its purely painful. Our damage still is "meh", we have some functionality but something happened where they said "it would be really fun to watch the players get smashed in the face repeatedly."

Mr. Zwoller do your job and finally fix this class....

*End Venting Session*

Edited by Pyconn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 20 and i feel like this class does not do enough dmg (not fast enough) to compensate the amount of dmg taken.

DW makes no sense since theres no auto-attack, STRIKE is a joke to DW we need something better to unleash the POWER.

I'm rerolling, that's why i'm reading the forums, to check if I suck or if this class is broken.

I disagree completely.

I'm only level 15 but I kill most things really quickly.

When I first started I had major problems with the resource they use. This meant that I did terrible damage. However since getting use to it, I can kill most things with ease in PvP and PvE.

I would just like a little more CC other than that, I think the class is brilliant. :D

THIS JUST IN!!!

SENTINELS STILL SUCK!!!

I know its crazy to come and post this here, but I am just venting... Playing a sentinel late 20's and into the 30s around areas that are yellow (average for the level) is like smashing my head against the wall repeatedly. Don't even think about taking on an equal level elite or one that is even one level below you.... and before anyone says "well its an elite" well when you are forced by class story to take it on solo (with companion).

If you play a sentinel I am sure many of you know the pain of DIEING ALL THE TIME! I have to blow every single cool down just to stay alive... I have played this class since the beta back in july, and I got to high 30s with moderate difficulty i mean it was challenging but not terrible... Now its purely painful. Our damage still is "meh", we have some functionality but something happened where they said "it would be really fun to watch the players get smashed in the face repeatedly."

*End Venting Session*

Just had a great game that I recorded and was on my stream, you should come check out.

I'll upload it later, the stream is live now though.

http://www.own3d.tv/live/180164

Edited by Ganiccus

@ lv 20 you don't even have most of your key rotation skills, you can't judge based on that.

That said, Sens and Guardians are not easy class to play in pvp, roll a Trooper/Sage if you want a easier time imo.

You also cant use a comment like this at all. Its the same with a guardian. Generally we suck, bigtime. I have heard we get awesome at lvl 38 but....38 ****in levels of agony?! I have to rely on my guild to kill elite mobs for me, since i pretty much desintegrate just by looking at stuff...

Really? What spec are you using?

I'm in the late 20s and with watchman I find elites are my favourite part of the game. Focusing a single target with burns is where I hang my hat. Err...hood. Once Zen activates and Kira is giving them the business as well it feels like a mugging.

Remember to pop rebuke and sabreward. You probaby are already but if not they make a huge difference.

About to hit 40, and while yeah, I'm pretty sure we're the squishiest class in the game (that's having played a lot of the other classes to 40+ in beta, some to 50) - we do not 'suck'.

Just a higher skill-cap than others. Pre-30, melee kiting won the day vs elites.

Force Camouflage @ 30 was a game changer. Absolute game changer.

Yeah I hate how squishy Sentinels are, BUT we are freaking insane damage wise. Once I grabbed Overload Saber I was golden. I can beat Gold level mobs easily with Kira by my side, and that's without popping and defensive CDs. The BIG issue is what your spec is. Watchmen is the ONLY spec to play currently, healing off burn crits and centering makes you unkillable if used right.

PvP wise I dominate and easily get 30-40 kills a game. The only thing I find annoying is how little CC Sentinels get compared to other classes and how easily we can get CCed. Sentinel is not for everyone, but once you master it Sentinel is an awesome class.

@ lv 20 you don't even have most of your key rotation skills, you can't judge based on that.

That said, Sens and Guardians are not easy class to play in pvp, roll a Trooper/Sage if you want a easier time imo.

I won't disagree with that, it's very often you'll see a trooper/bounty hunter or sage/inquisitor in the top 3 because the mechanics highly favor them and getting a fair bit of powerful CC early makes sages/inquisitors quite faceroll.

However, the higher you level up with your guardian/jugger sent/mara you'll notice you start to get much much harder to kill and much harder to shake off.

With a Guardian, once you start climing up in tiers in the vigilance tree, all that frontloaded CC those inquistors love to throw around at you becomes useless against you, your damage starts to become more satisfying and when you feel like switching into Soretsu stance and throw up saber guard, you litterally will not be going down unless you get really heavily focused (which if any team does that in an objectives based game, gg they just focused the tank and lost the objective) or your sage buddy that you have guarded forgets that he needs to heal you from time to time too.

Once you get Guardian leap and Saber throw, no matter how shifty that Sith Inq thinks they are will there double bladed lightsaber, they are not getting away....not in a long shot.

Ofc with a Sentinel your burst output with the right rotation boarders instagib later on, just remember you don't have heavy armor or a shield generator so you won't be "taking on all comers" unless you are extremely well equiped....but that goes without saying.

If you play a sentinel I am sure many of you know the pain of DIEING ALL THE TIME! I have to blow every single cool down just to stay alive...

This just in....YOU SUCK!

Guess what....Elites your supposed to use all your skills including those on longer timers....and even at times use a medpack. It's intentional. They don't want you plowing through elites....they stated that you should die at times to elites. L2P.

This just in....YOU SUCK!

Guess what....Elites your supposed to use all your skills including those on longer timers....and even at times use a medpack. It's intentional. They don't want you plowing through elites....they stated that you should die at times to elites. L2P.

I find that it is a big change going from Tatooine to Alderaan. I have never felt so squishy as a Sent until I arrived at the Organa's door step to offer my service. ;p

L2P that's all there is to it. I am currently lvl 31 and can take on equal lvl golds without a problem. Sure I have to heal up when I'm done but I have 0 issues killing them. Just finished my act 1 and the gold at the end of that was lvl 33 and I beat him on my second try without my 20 min cd. So I say it again, L2P the class and it's fine.

to the OP: You should do some class research imo. I am having no problems at all dealing with elites or packs of mobs (i am lvl 24 atm). I love the class so far and i love the fact that things are not served on a silver plate for you and you actually have to think before you act

Maybe this is not the class for you? Try something else until you find whats best for your playstyle. Myself for example tried shadow @ beta which i thought i would love but once i tried Sentinel i changed my mind in no time

So people here suggest Watchmen as the tree to level up in?

I'm not sure since I'm doing okay? but at the same time, still kinda pounding my head against a wall against some elites (read: some).

Watchman is by far the better leveling spec, Combat doesn't really get any good until you have advanced Ataru and are pretty deep in the tree...so recommendation is...

Leveling up: Watchman

PvE: Watchman

PvP: Combat

I find that it is a big change going from Tatooine to Alderaan. I have never felt so squishy as a Sent until I arrived at the Organa's door step to offer my service. ;p

This. Just finished Alderaan. It is very challenging. I breezed through with my Commando just a day ago - didn't need any cooldowns on champions... Very disturbing, if it will keep getting harder.

Sentinels can be rough to play.

You really need to get a solid rotation down, and keep your gear/mods updated to really have fun with a Sentinel. Zen and the rest of your self buffs need to be used a lot.

Also the right tree helps.

From what I've heard Combat is great for leveling. Watchman is more for end game/operations.

I've also heard the 20-30 range just plain sucks for leveling, period. Especially for Jedi.

Also keep in mind that we're not designed to take on the biggest targets directly. We're speed based finesse fighters. We strike hard, but get hit just as hard. We take on adds during bosses then flank them.

Work on getting crit based mods for your sabers. Artifice is great for this.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

THIS JUST IN!!!

SENTINELS STILL SUCK!!!

*End Venting Session*

I think trooper may be more to your liking.

Don't listen to any of this "Combat for PvP/Combat for leveling". Go Watchmen or go home. The self-heal off of burn crits combined with Zen making your next 6 burns crit is disgustingly powerful in all fields, be it leveling, flashpoints, or PvP. I get at least 30 stacks of centering every fight while leveling, and a lot of the time in PvP. My suggestion for centering is to "save" it until you start a fight, leap in, pop overload saber, pop zen, one enemy dead. Then over that fight it builds back up to be used for your next opener.

In PvP Zen is even more deadly and really fun to use. You can use it when your going in, use it when your opponent escapes, has low health, and still has burns on them, use it when your low on health. Once you get high enough in the Watchmen tree you get two centering when hit and two centering when using a focus spender. It builds up insanely fast AND it heals your party. Nothing like tossing out a small heal/major damage buff during a big push.

Now some people may complain about the "ramp up time" on Juyo form. In most PvP games(excluding nod camping and death) I never lose my Juyo stacks because I am always in the thick of combat/looking for my next target. Sentinels are great for hunting down people in the back lines with low health, Snipers who aren't in cover, and at killing SW/BH. Heavy armor doesn't save them and its an absolute joy to watch these heavy armor wearers health deplete itself as your burns go off.

Yes Sentinel is hard to play, yes it has lots of abilities, yes its a good idea to get a Razar Naga(which I don't have...LOTS of keybinds and lots of ctrl+ keybinds for me), but once you learn to play this class and fall into a good rhythm you are a force reckoned with.

Don't listen to any of this "Combat for PvP/Combat for leveling". Go Watchmen or go home.

I don't have any problem with Combat for leveling in PvE, it's faster than Watchman for me, but then again I've got Biochem as Crew Skill, so healing isn't a problem.

Watchman for leveling is a matter of opinion. If you usually end your fights in less than 8s, then Combat will always have the edge. Of course, if you tend to go for mostly high HPs targets, Watchman will have the upper hand.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.