The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Palpatine and the Rule of Two

alex_mazzola

Warning caps lock.

NO THERE IS NO RULE OF TWO. THAT IS WHY THERE IS MORE THEN 2 SITH IN THE MOVIES ALWAYS.

BECAUSE GEORGE LUCAS DONT CARE ABOUT THE RULE OF TWO MADE IN SOME OF CANON BOOK.

With that said the rule of two in the EU lore died after Sidious came to power.It is clear neither Plagueis

or Sidious cared about the rule of two because after they came forword they both knew Banes rule of two

had no meaning anymore.

I'm just saying, the Rule as Bane set it up was pretty much dead by that time. How many weak(er) Sith Lords had killed their masters through duplicitous means, before they had surpassed them?

Well, that sets up the original, dirty premise of the Sith. The strong will overcome. And if the Master is slain by his Apprentice, what does that say about the Master if he was technically more powerful? Being aware and on guard for potential threats is just as important as raw power.

Palpetine wanted to replace vader simply because he wasn't the apprentice he had wanted him to be, after mustafar vader became much less powerfull and less suitable for palpetine's purposes and thus had to be replaced.

This was not the first time a apprentice of a sith lord under the rule of two was deemed not good enough and replaced by a better one

Not wishing to start an argument, but rather ask a serious question... What canonical evidence is there that Vader was weaker after his first duel with Obi-Wan?

Me again. Isn't this Rule of Two idea a bit silly? I mean, it pretty much precludes any other Force sensitive being from joining the Sith, so they have to go and join the Jedi instead, thus increasing the ratio of Jedi to Sith to Umpteen to two? No wonder they vanished! The Sith have about as much interest in perpetuating themselves as the average panda!

what gets me is, in episode VI, why does Vader just stand there and happily listen to the Emperor trying to turn luke? just letting himself be replaced, probably by death.

It's been pretty well established that Anakin was kind of a complete idiot.

I think Vader counted on Luke being on HIS side if he did turn to the Dark Side. So he was watching by idle and figured he'd help Luke defeat the Emperor when the time comes. I don't think he was literally waiting to be replaced. He didn't count on Luke overpowering him and made some miscalculations though.

I actually just found this passage in Chapter 7 of Darth Plagueis (super boring book so far!):

Like Plagueis, Tenebrous [Plagueis' master] had obviously embraced the fact that Darth Bane's Rule of Two had expired. Precious few Sith Lords had honored it, in any case, and with good reason, as Plagueis saw it. The goalds of the Grand Plan were revenge and the reacquisition of galactic power. But while most Sith Lords since Bane had in their own fashion helped to weaken the Republic, their efforts had owed less to selflessness and allegiance to the Rule than to weakness and incompetence. Driven to discharge Bane's imperative they might have been, and yet each had fallen prey to individual foibles and eccentricities, and so had failed to exact revenge on the the [yes, "the" is repeated in the book lol] Jedi Order. Plagueis understood. He would never have been one to lay in wait or devote his reign merely to positioning a subsequent Sith Lord for success. Nor would he have been content to remain in Tenebrous's shadow as an apprentice had the Bith actually triumphed where others had failed."

Now it sounds like the RoT was abandoned before Sidious even came into the picture!

I'm just saying, the Rule as Bane set it up was pretty much dead by that time. How many weak(er) Sith Lords had killed their masters through duplicitous means, before they had surpassed them?

Power isn't always strength my friend.

I actually just found this passage in Chapter 7 of Darth Plagueis (super boring book so far!):

Like Plagueis, Tenebrous [Plagueis' master] had obviously embraced the fact that Darth Bane's Rule of Two had expired. Precious few Sith Lords had honored it, in any case, and with good reason, as Plagueis saw it. The goalds of the Grand Plan were revenge and the reacquisition of galactic power. But while most Sith Lords since Bane had in their own fashion helped to weaken the Republic, their efforts had owed less to selflessness and allegiance to the Rule than to weakness and incompetence. Driven to discharge Bane's imperative they might have been, and yet each had fallen prey to individual foibles and eccentricities, and so had failed to exact revenge on the the [yes, "the" is repeated in the book lol] Jedi Order. Plagueis understood. He would never have been one to lay in wait or devote his reign merely to positioning a subsequent Sith Lord for success. Nor would he have been content to remain in Tenebrous's shadow as an apprentice had the Bith actually triumphed where others had failed."

Now it sounds like the RoT was abandoned before Sidious even came into the picture!

Like I said before, IMO the RoT pretty much ends at the creation of the Grand Plan.

Palpatine had been disappointed in Vader for quite some time. Vader hadn't lived up to his full potential, much cause of his defeat on Mustafar by Obi-Wan's blade. His prosthetics had limited his ability to properly use the Force. So yeh, he wanted Vader to be replaced, and who better than the Chosen One's own child?

Plus, he wanted the same for Galen Marek. It's said that Galen was Sidious' equal on quite a few accounts.