"Super" Energy Shield!

Agooz

Thinking about trying this out as a PvE tank ....

One question though, as a tank I am getting him constantly (at least every 1.5 seconds in most fights). So as the talent Energy Rebounder states, "When you take damage, you have [50 / 100]% chance to reduce the active cooldown of Energy Shield by [1.5 seconds / 3 seconds]. This effect cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds" So in theory if I am taking 3 seconds off a 120 second cooldown every 1.5 seconds, and the shield lasts 18 seconds in a perfect world the cooldown could be completed by the time the duration of the shield is up?

I suck at math so tell me if this is correct:

120/1.5=80

80*3=240

So getting hit every 1.5 seconds in a 120 second timeframe I would be hit 80 times. Every 1.5 seconds the duration of Energy Shield is reduced by 3 seconds, so in theory each of the 80 hits (if they came exactly every 1.5 seconds) would reduce the cooldown by 3 seconds, totalling 240 seconds off the cooldown of energy shield (which is only 120 seconds to begin with).

Ideally while tanking PvE and getting hit constantly you could very nearly maintain Energy Shield!

Please tell me I am wrong because thats just too good to be true!

Edit: Ah I am an idiot, of corse it would take roughly 30 seconds beyond the duration period to recieve those hits that reduce the cooldown ... my bad ... still, what an awesome talent!!

Edited by Dademoor

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the Foundry Helmet and the Foundry Gloves, but never the greaves or chest. I want to use it for pvp. BTW, I have an odd question. I took the Columni mods out put them in my other gear, and the set bonus is still highlighted in my bank, but I don't see it updating on the tooltip. Does it carry over or no?

The set bonus is only carried over on the Armor mod of War Hero/Campaign gear. On anything else however, the setbonus is stuck on the actual piece(shell).

Thinking about trying this out as a PvE tank ....

One question though, as a tank I am getting him constantly (at least every 1.5 seconds in most fights). So as the talent Energy Rebounder states, "When you take damage, you have [50 / 100]% chance to reduce the active cooldown of Energy Shield by [1.5 seconds / 3 seconds]. This effect cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds" So in theory if I am taking 3 seconds off a 120 second cooldown every 1.5 seconds, and the shield lasts 18 seconds in a perfect world the cooldown could be completed by the time the duration of the shield is up?

I suck at math so tell me if this is correct:

120/1.5=80

80*3=240

So getting hit every 1.5 seconds in a 120 second timeframe I would be hit 80 times. Every 1.5 seconds the duration of Energy Shield is reduced by 3 seconds, so in theory each of the 80 hits (if they came exactly every 1.5 seconds) would reduce the cooldown by 3 seconds, totalling 240 seconds off the cooldown of energy shield (which is only 120 seconds to begin with).

Ideally while tanking PvE and getting hit constantly you could very nearly maintain Energy Shield!

Please tell me I am wrong because thats just too good to be true!

Edit: Ah I am an idiot, of corse it would take roughly 30 seconds beyond the duration period to recieve those hits that reduce the cooldown ... my bad ... still, what an awesome talent!!

I already started a build thread on that concept. Follow it there. We have someone who is about to give it a go and give us feedback.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=432203

• 4 weeks later...

Well I dug this thread up because I finally acquired the gear to test it out in PVP. Currently using:

Tionese Body and Legplate shells (w/ BM armoring and WH mod/enh)

WH Combat Tech Helmet, Gauntlets and Boots (w/ WH Combat Medic armoring in Gauntlets and Boots)

As a bonus, unifying the color scheme makes this set of gear look really ****** IMO.

After using this spec for an evening, all I can say is wow, I should have switched back to Pyro spec a long time ago. I tried the "Maverick" AP/Pyro hybrid spec and enjoyed it, but missed the massive RS crits. Then I gave the Norse AP spec a second shot, but it felt so gimped in comparison to everything else.

So far, I don't feel like I am missing much DPS using 2 pc PVE Supercommando and 2 pc PVP Combat Tech because I am still hitting upwards of 5k RS (w/ relic buff) and feel almost invincible with the 18 sec shield. The only thing I really miss from the AP builds is Hyraulic Overrides.

Anyone try using the combination of Supercommando Campaign armor mods (for 2pc set bonus) and WH mods in augmented gear? I'm wondering if losing the 100 expertise is offset by the large increase in stats.

I am STILL using this setup. I am totally addicted to it. I have all augmented gear except for the 2 piece PvE Supercommando. There are only 2 choices for upgrades. Either you keep BM armoring on the 2pc SC so you can keep the bonus. OR if you want everything augmented, then go for the the combat tech and loose 3sec on energy shield, but gain bonus to carbon and determination. 100expertise loss is significant IMO.

I think I am going to go with the Combat Tech 2pc augmented. If I see that I am missing those 3 extra secs, I will switch back to SC.

I am STILL using this setup. I am totally addicted to it. I have all augmented gear except for the 2 piece PvE Supercommando. There are only 2 choices for upgrades. Either you keep BM armoring on the 2pc SC so you can keep the bonus. OR if you want everything augmented, then go for the the combat tech and loose 3sec on energy shield, but gain bonus to carbon and determination. 100expertise loss is significant IMO.

I think I am going to go with the Combat Tech 2pc augmented. If I see that I am missing those 3 extra secs, I will switch back to SC.

This is what I do. I have all augmented WH gear. I have 2pc WH Medic, 2pc Combat Tech. I don't notice a huge loss with 3sec less. THe big gain is the Energy rebounder. It's the most amazing ability EVER.

I could use my augmented WH Combat Tech legplates and body, but I love the look of the pve chest and legs with the WH helmet, gauntlets, and boots. Hopefully 1.3 will allow me to put augment slots on it. Anyway a definite thumbs up to energy rebounder and the set bonus stacking.

This is what I do. I have all augmented WH gear. I have 2pc WH Medic, 2pc Combat Tech. I don't notice a huge loss with 3sec less. THe big gain is the Energy rebounder. It's the most amazing ability EVER.

I can't believe you left the ranks of the AP ;p. Energy Rebounder is pretty sick though. I haven't really used it in a while as I stick with Norse for the most part even in pve. I am really bad at getting off RS when using Max AP.

I can't believe you left the ranks of the AP ;p. Energy Rebounder is pretty sick though. I haven't really used it in a while as I stick with Norse for the most part even in pve. I am really bad at getting off RS when using Max AP.

Yeah dude, without getting HB all the time now, AP is lacking in PvP IMO now. I still go AP for PVE cause it owns a ton. And I love it.

But in PvP burst is King. There's just no way around that statement. Pyro has burst, add in the Shield every 40 sec or so when defending. Plus the extra 3 seconds. It's amazing. I'll guard the other teams NC turret solo with 2 of them keep coming at me. Since everytime they come back my shield is pretty much back up. It's awesome.

Yeah dude, without getting HB all the time now, AP is lacking in PvP IMO now. I still go AP for PVE cause it owns a ton. And I love it.

But in PvP burst is King. There's just no way around that statement. Pyro has burst, add in the Shield every 40 sec or so when defending. Plus the extra 3 seconds. It's amazing. I'll guard the other teams NC turret solo with 2 of them keep coming at me. Since everytime they come back my shield is pretty much back up. It's awesome.

What would be the cheapest way to test this, if I can ask?

I'm still trying to upgrade to WH eliminator so a bit stingy with the comms.

I do have alot of tionese comms, hmm, never spent any at all...

Speaking of helmets, is it wrong of me to think maybe I'll rip the mods out of WH helmet (once I get it) and put it into Karraggas hat?

I understand your point about Energy Shield, but I still disagree with you about the Burst potential of AP. I blow through guys all the time, and I have yet to run into a WZ where I am fighting someone 1v1. It's generally turret protection of 4 v 1, but even 1v1 I feel AP is very strong. Granted taking a healer down is work.

I fought a similar geared Assault Trooper, and we split the 1v1 battles. I do acknowledge that in the 3 seconds that TD/RS/RP go off I lose a significant portion of health, but it then becomes 10-15 seconds of almost nothing while I am blowing through him. In the fights he won, he was able to get TD off 3 times and had 3 RNG procs of RS which got me. In the fights he lost, he barely got me to half health and only got two TD's off with only two RNG Procs, and I destroyed him. I think people way overvalue burst.

If burst were king, than you would never see Lethality Operatives, Annihilation maras, and that bleed spec for Juggs. Okay so the Juggs bleed spec doesn't count because it's awful. However, both Anni Maras and Lethality Operatives are extremely dangerous in pvp. Burst is king in 1v1 battles, but in coordinated WZ's or in defending turrets against a semi-decent group than steady dps with strong mobility is key.

What would be the cheapest way to test this, if I can ask?

I'm still trying to upgrade to WH eliminator so a bit stingy with the comms.

I do have alot of tionese comms, hmm, never spent any at all...

Speaking of helmets, is it wrong of me to think maybe I'll rip the mods out of WH helmet (once I get it) and put it into Karraggas hat?

Nope to the K hat, in fact in 1.3 you can augment K's hat. I ripped out all my mods from WH gear and put in Augmented gear now.

Cheapest way to get what the 3 sec extra shield or the 6 sec extra shield? If you want 6 second the only way to do it and have decent Expertise is use the Rakata Shell with BM armoring mods. If 3, the Medic WH Armoring will bring that to any piece of gear.

I understand your point about Energy Shield, but I still disagree with you about the Burst potential of AP. I blow through guys all the time, and I have yet to run into a WZ where I am fighting someone 1v1. It's generally turret protection of 4 v 1, but even 1v1 I feel AP is very strong. Granted taking a healer down is work.

I fought a similar geared Assault Trooper, and we split the 1v1 battles. I do acknowledge that in the 3 seconds that TD/RS/RP go off I lose a significant portion of health, but it then becomes 10-15 seconds of almost nothing while I am blowing through him. In the fights he won, he was able to get TD off 3 times and had 3 RNG procs of RS which got me. In the fights he lost, he barely got me to half health and only got two TD's off with only two RNG Procs, and I destroyed him. I think people way overvalue burst.

If burst were king, than you would never see Lethality Operatives, Annihilation maras, and that bleed spec for Juggs. Okay so the Juggs bleed spec doesn't count because it's awful. However, both Anni Maras and Lethality Operatives are extremely dangerous in pvp. Burst is king in 1v1 battles, but in coordinated WZ's or in defending turrets against a semi-decent group than steady dps with strong mobility is key.

OK even 4v2 or 1 or 3v1 or w/e, I've been running with 3 PT's and 1 healer, when we can blow up 2 healers in 5 GCD's focus'ing, yea burst is king.

And if that dude lost to at a 50/50, he's just bad. Not timing Stuns on your HO use and stuff like that. But until we can have x server q's we'll never know who's better, heh.

AP has too much build up to get to that burst phase and a stun as soon as you use HO/PFT negates that 1 build up almost completely.

Let's say you come at me and we both pop our shield, whoever wins, whoever dies come's back, I'm going to have my shield again and you won't. That's huge. It's not just the burst.

Right now until ranked, you won't convince me that Burst>almost anything. I used to run with a anni mara but had him switch, cause say you kill 2-3 of us, we've probably kill 5-6 of yours in that same time with our insane burst. In fact people been calling us Team Powertech, since sometimes we've even run 4 pyro's together.

Now in HB no BC kinda sux, but eh.

Nope to the K hat, in fact in 1.3 you can augment K's hat. I ripped out all my mods from WH gear and put in Augmented gear now.

Cheapest way to get what the 3 sec extra shield or the 6 sec extra shield? If you want 6 second the only way to do it and have decent Expertise is use the Rakata Shell with BM armoring mods. If 3, the Medic WH Armoring will bring that to any piece of gear.

Kay, thanks.

Can rip BM into Rakata no prob, that's just cash, or buy some Tio stuff just to play with, but I don't want to waste comms on Medic before I'm done with WH eliminator set... Too bad.

4 Pyros at once ! That I'd like to see, I'm usually the only pyro I see in WZs over here

OK even 4v2 or 1 or 3v1 or w/e, I've been running with 3 PT's and 1 healer, when we can blow up 2 healers in 5 GCD's focus'ing, yea burst is king.

And if that dude lost to at a 50/50, he's just bad. Not timing Stuns on your HO use and stuff like that. But until we can have x server q's we'll never know who's better, heh.

AP has too much build up to get to that burst phase and a stun as soon as you use HO/PFT negates that 1 build up almost completely.

Let's say you come at me and we both pop our shield, whoever wins, whoever dies come's back, I'm going to have my shield again and you won't. That's huge. It's not just the burst.

Right now until ranked, you won't convince me that Burst>almost anything. I used to run with a anni mara but had him switch, cause say you kill 2-3 of us, we've probably kill 5-6 of yours in that same time with our insane burst. In fact people been calling us Team Powertech, since sometimes we've even run 4 pyro's together.

Now in HB no BC kinda sux, but eh.

He never lost at 50/50 it was usually 45/60. I had 60 percent and he had 45 percent. Pyro is too RNG if you get unlucky you can get fried. BTW, 2 versus anyone can fry it in 5 seconds unless those two are some combination of tanks and heals. I run with an Arsenal merc, and we barbeque just about anything in about 5 seconds (when he isn't high). I have also run with a Mara and an Operative, and it's the same thing. Personally, I like running with the operative best. In a 2v2, no one makes it 2v1 faster than an operative with stuns. Ever ran into a 2 man sniper team and lived?

BTW, thanks for completely dissing my ability by saying a guy must suck if he lost to me at 50/50. Like I don't save my stuns for when I hear the beep, beep, beep totally negating your entire Burst (No - td combo equals a really weak burst). Look mate, I know PT's have no Knockbacks so I force you to use your CC early and then drop kick you the res tof the way. Why even use HO on a guy with no KB's? I use HO when he has slowed me, and if he is bad enough to use it then and not on PFT than he deserves to die ;p.

I find a few other comments in your statement to be slightly dismissive of both myself and AP, but those are for another time. I do find Pyro to be completely RNG and basically praying that everything will proc in 9 seconds or you will die. Anyways that is for another thread.

Anyways, this is derailing the thread. I will start a thread where we can discuss pvp capabilities more fully later. Back on the subject - Super Energy shield is amazing. I have three seconds extra and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's amazing to have the damage reduction for 3 more seconds.

Edited by TheOpf

Kay, thanks.

Can rip BM into Rakata no prob, that's just cash, or buy some Tio stuff just to play with, but I don't want to waste comms on Medic before I'm done with WH eliminator set... Too bad.

4 Pyros at once ! That I'd like to see, I'm usually the only pyro I see in WZs over here

in prob 2 days of PvP you can buy 2 BM combat medic pieces. It's not that bad. And it is worth postponing WH for it. That's how good this setup it.

He never lost at 50/50 it was usually 45/60. I had 60 percent and he had 45 percent. Pyro is too RNG if you get unlucky you can get fried. BTW, 2 versus anyone can fry it in 5 seconds unless those two are some combination of tanks and heals. I run with an Arsenal merc, and we barbeque just about anything in about 5 seconds (when he isn't high). I have also run with a Mara and an Operative, and it's the same thing. Personally, I like running with the operative best. In a 2v2, no one makes it 2v1 faster than an operative with stuns. Ever ran into a 2 man sniper team and lived?

BTW, thanks for completely dissing my ability by saying a guy must suck if he lost to me at 50/50. Like I don't save my stuns for when I hear the beep, beep, beep totally negating your entire Burst (No - td combo equals a really weak burst). Look mate, I know PT's have no Knockbacks so I force you to use your CC early and then drop kick you the res tof the way. Why even use HO on a guy with no KB's? I use HO when he has slowed me, and if he is bad enough to use it then and not on PFT than he deserves to die ;p.

I find a few other comments in your statement to be slightly dismissive of both myself and AP, but those are for another time. I do find Pyro to be completely RNG and basically praying that everything will proc in 9 seconds or you will die. Anyways that is for another thread.

Anyways, this is derailing the thread. I will start a thread where we can discuss pvp capabilities more fully later. Back on the subject - Super Energy shield is amazing. I have three seconds extra and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's amazing to have the damage reduction for 3 more seconds.

I Believe I said 1 dismissive thing. And for that I do apologize. I'm going to remove myself from the AP vs Pyro discussion because I tend to come off that way (your not first to say that friend did to me about another class/spec unrelated to PT's).

I'm always said play what you enjoy the most and you obviously enjoy AP. I was and still am a very effective AP player (even had people ask me about it) but I find Pyro to be insanely better in majority of PvP situations. And that's where I'll leave it.

Hey I was wondering if it was worth it to use pve SC and combat medic for the 6 sec increase in shields. I am a hybrid shield/ pyro and my main goal is to absorb/ mitigate as much damage as possible without totally gimping my damage. So the question is...

I currently am running the combat tech 4 peice set for the 15% crit for RP and am wondering if it's worth losing that 15% for the 6 sec increase? Also is it possible to put mods of a diff set of armor into a different one without losing the sec bonuses and what's the ins and outs of that?

Hey I was wondering if it was worth it to use pve SC and combat medic for the 6 sec increase in shields. I am a hybrid shield/ pyro and my main goal is to absorb/ mitigate as much damage as possible without totally gimping my damage. So the question is...

I currently am running the combat tech 4 peice set for the 15% crit for RP and am wondering if it's worth losing that 15% for the 6 sec increase? Also is it possible to put mods of a diff set of armor into a different one without losing the sec bonuses and what's the ins and outs of that?

If you do not have Energy Rebounder (22 points in Pyro), then NO it is not worth it. Also there is no such thing as a viable Shield/Pyro hybrid spec. If you are referring to the "Bubble" Tank spec, then it is only good for PvE. Stance switching, especially as a PT, is a very bad idea in PvP.

Regarding armor and mods, you can switch anything you want without loosing set bonus, except for War Hero and Campaign gear "Armoring Mod".

If you do not have Energy Rebounder (22 points in Pyro), then NO it is not worth it. Also there is no such thing as a viable Shield/Pyro hybrid spec. If you are referring to the "Bubble" Tank spec, then it is only good for PvE. Stance switching, especially as a PT, is a very bad idea in PvP.

Regarding armor and mods, you can switch anything you want without loosing set bonus, except for War Hero and Campaign gear "Armoring Mod".

Ok thank you and i respect your opinion but I don't look at the forums for my builds that is just inviting failure because the most important part of a build is how u use it because every build needs to be played a certain way to get full potential and yes my build is pretty viable In pvp. I can say this because I am constantly piping and I have received 300k damage and 258k protection. In one Match I received both 300k damage and 153k protection so I would say it's pretty viable in pvp.

Again thank u for your advice with set bonuses and the super shield thing.

Ok thank you and i respect your opinion but I don't look at the forums for my builds that is just inviting failure because the most important part of a build is how u use it because every build needs to be played a certain way to get full potential and yes my build is pretty viable In pvp. I can say this because I am constantly piping and I have received 300k damage and 258k protection. In one Match I received both 300k damage and 153k protection so I would say it's pretty viable in pvp.

First stating I don't mean to offend. Apparantly I'm coming across on these forums lately like that.

Why do you think 300kdam/150k prot is viable? When I can do 700k dam and 80k prot as full Pyro IMO is way better then those numbers. And the 80k is just from taunting. I just went against a jugg doing 450k dam, 250k prot and I'm not even sure that's viable otuside HB.

Please add your valuable experience to this forum and show us this Shield/Pyro spec that you say is viable in PvP. My PT has been my main since launch and I played all sorts of different specs. The only viable Shield/Pyro spec was the Parakeet and now post 1.2 is no longer viable. It's 1.5sec stance switch for a PT. So either you are in IGC and get ZERO benefit from any meaningful talents in Pyro, OR when you do manage to switch stance, without getting interrupted, stunned, CCed, or tossed around, you're in CGC as a totally gimped Pyro wearing a shield and not benefiting from shieldtech's mechanics. There is absolutely no synergy between the main mechanics of Shieldtech and Pyro, that is why I am curious what you are doing.

No one is telling you to copy a spec from this forum and run with it. But by FAR this PT forum is the best AC forum on this site in terms of advice and experience. Looking at a spec someone has posted, then tweaking it to your own play-style is better than just turning a blind eye at other players' experiences and dismissing them right off the bat.

First stating I don't mean to offend. Apparantly I'm coming across on these forums lately like that.

Why do you think 300kdam/150k prot is viable? When I can do 700k dam and 80k prot as full Pyro IMO is way better then those numbers. And the 80k is just from taunting. I just went against a jugg doing 450k dam, 250k prot and I'm not even sure that's viable otuside HB.

Well for starters I started the way I started because I actually appreciated his advice/incite I also didn't agree with everything that he said but still wanted to make sure that I thanked him.

As for the rest of the message...

First... Where you in a premade when these numbers where taken?

Secondly... Different setups have different purposes and thus has different strengths and weaknesses

Thirdly... ( and this relates to the second) numbers are a nice judge of how one is doing however numbers don't tell us everything. Since there is multiple different setups and the purposes that they play there is also different strategies and roles that these different setups must Adhere to these role... The purpose of this is basically to say that one must look at the style of play itself and see if that fits well with the setup. An example is of processing a healer if I stick to a healer I can decrease damage done to him for a total of 89% while a pyro dps spec can only decease it by a total of 34% (with expertise traitedin shield tech) 30% without expertise and note most dps specs dont take that certain damage reduction that is taken in shield tech tree.

An example is of processing a healer if I stick to a healer I can decrease damage done to him for a total of 89% while a pyro dps spec can only decease it by a total of 34% (with expertise traitedin shield tech) 30% without expertise and note most dps specs dont take that certain damage reduction that is taken in shield tech tree.

Placing guard on a healer is not THE only way to protect him. As a pyro, the healer running with me never dies under normal scenarios. Being able to quickly eliminate that Maurader or whatever dps that's on your healer is often much better than a prolonged fight. That being said, I dont have an issue with a "Tank" in pvp. I just dont see a viable shield/Pyro spec for pvp. You will either be a mediocre Tank or a subpar dps, without the benefit of the other tree.