Daniel Erickson on Server Population.

Rayla_Felana

It's not, he's just complaining. The only problem with 1.2 is that it just polished up the game a bit closer to how it should have been launched in the first place, rather than fix pop and LFG issues.

Of course- it's more polished- the most logical explanation for why in the past two months we'd lost 25% of the subs- because the game is more polished now.

Keep telling yourself that.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, that statement is incorrect ... all MMOs have allowed free transfers since WoW did it when a server is dying

I believe he meant that only Rift does it for free all the time, not just when a server is dying. WoW has a few select servers once a month(?) that the service will be free for, but otherwise you have to pay for it. Haven't seen any other MMO have server free server transfers in Rift's fashion, and I highly doubt BioWare will go with the same model being owned by EA and all.

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed," Erickson told NowGamer following last week's 1.2 Legacy update.

i love that this quote was issued out like 2 weeks before the 25% sub loss report was released. i feel bad that daniel has to be the one responsible for this quote(since he's just saying what he's being told to say).

but it does tell you bioware isn't afraid to bend the truth

This is Warhammer all over again. They end up with 4 servers if they dont get their act together.

Why I dont like SWTOR enough to pay sub ? Companion system. Hate it. Can't see myself dressing up more "dolls" so my sub runs out tonight.

This stinks of Mythic and their unprofessional work. Bioware obviously can not create a good long lasting MMO. Cause if they did... they would have solved these forseen issues BEFORE the game launched.

This is warhammer online and LOTRO. Too many servers and apparently listening to the "no do not add LFG, cross server PVE and PVP, addons, macros, ingame dmg meters" crowd.

I wish they would just get rid of the idea of selecting a server. You just pick PVP, PVE, RP, or RP-PVP. When players enter the game they join the "Galaxy"

Planets would have dedicated servers. When one fills up it opens up a second instance and so on. There may be 3 instances of a planet or 30 or 300 depending on current players online on that planet. You'd still be able to group with any other player on another instance and move to their instance.

This basically creates a Galaxy that is always full and bustling with 100,000's of players to interact with. I want a real Star Wars Universe! There are 7+ billion people on Earth yet it feels like the entire Star Wars galaxy only has 1000.

World of Warcraft recently announced they are moving towards a hybrid of this idea. DC Universe also uses a system similar to this. So the technology is their and already being utilized.

i love that this quote was issued out like 2 weeks before the 25% sub loss report was released. i feel bad that daniel has to be the one responsible for this quote(since he's just saying what he's being told to say).

but it does tell you bioware isn't afraid to bend the truth

Yup. Funny what companies traded on the stock market will say...... nothing but black and white with them :confused:

I truly believe that they will pull a FF 14 here.... let everyone freak out and then beg for forgiveness

I wish they would just get rid of the idea of selecting a server. You just pick PVP, PVE, RP, or RP-PVP. When players enter the game they join the "Galaxy"

Planets would have dedicated servers. When one fills up it opens up a second instance and so on. There may be 3 instances of a planet or 30 or 300 depending on current players online on that planet. You'd still be able to group with any other player on another instance and move to their instance.

This basically creates a Galaxy that is always full and bustling with 100,000's of players to interact with. I want a real Star Wars Universe! There are 7+ billion people on Earth yet it feels like the entire Star Wars galaxy only has 1000.

World of Warcraft recently announced they are moving towards a hybrid of this idea. DC Universe also uses a system similar to this. So the technology is their and already being utilized.

Actually, when I was in one of the betas, they had a system similar to this already. There were two or three "Coruscants" and if you wanted to group up with them for Heroic or something you could. From what I remember all the chats were linked and all the areas were linked, you were just in a different layer. It was pretty cool.

God, you are all so easy to fool.

Daniel gave us no answer AGAIN. He just mentioned transfers and merges can be a solution and that he won't be doing them.

It's funny to see people can be satisfied with a dead bird so easily.

We won't have merges transfers or patch 1.3 anywhere in the future, and anyone with half a brain can conclude that from the interview he gave.

Always nice to see another BS reply from bioware to keep the crowds happy.

I'll tell you one thing though, as soon as my 30 free days run out I'm gone and I'll never return. No transfers before that? **** you very much and have a nice day bioware.

1) People who purchased 3 month subs at launch had a bonus month added on in April.

2) People who purchased 6 month subs and have quit.

I'd say 90% of my guild falls within 1 and 2. The guild had 50+ members and they've literally all quit and I've no doubt this scenario is played out in many other guilds who no longer exist it TOR.

The "active subs" announcement bears little relation to people actually playing which is why it feels like there aren't 1.3 million active playing subscribers... because there aren't. :rolleyes:

This would have been a much better option.

Basically to feel like a health server in SWTOR you need to be on a server that is hitting at least "Heavy" in Prime Time and ideally "V Heavy" or "Full" in Prime Time (even "Full" doesn't feel full in game).

By the time you get to the bottom end of the "Standard" range or "Light" servers feel like ghost towns. :(

Lol, the tech is there for a lot of things BW has made a disaster out of from the game engine, the GTN, to character transfers. Every other MMO has had character transfers where applicable. It shouldn't take this long to get something together. Even if it is difficult, if BW was smart they would have had a contingency plan for population issues. But they aren't and they didn't.

The article linked in the OP is just a bunch of PR and BS to try to justify why they are dragging their feet.

1) People who purchased 3 month subs at launch had a bonus month added on in April.

2) People who purchased 6 month subs and have quit.

I'd say 90% of my guild falls within 1 and 2. The guild had 50+ members and they've literally all quit and I've no doubt this scenario is played out in many other guilds who no longer exist it TOR.

The "active subs" announcement bears little relation to people actually playing which is why it feels like there aren't 1.3 million active playing subscribers... because there aren't. :rolleyes:

Yes after a two month break i checked game out when 1.2 released. Was SHOCKED to see my whole guild, which was pretty big and active, had completey vanished.

1-2 other peopl peaked in.

And with my departure to New Tristram on tuesday the last breath of life leaves the guild :/

Oh well D3 is comin, cant wait!! :rak_03:

Edited by Anelitt

with all the low pop servers - is SWTOR going to merge servers or are we going to continue a population decline - this question is still valid - especially with other games coming out and SWTOR's FB page being trolled rather well.

BW may not have to worry about server transfers if they don't do it soon since there wont be anyone left to merge. Be says there's no point in posting more information once a question has been answered. Really?? How bout every week or two just a summary of the top things bw is working on implementing. Oh well, who cares, they will never get it. Gonna un sub and blame it on groups of marauders just to mess with their metrics.

Guild Wars 1 was released with exactly this implementation 7 or 8 years ago. It's not a new idea, but it's always been the best idea.

Well, Merging servers and character migration are definetely good news but... when? In the mean time I just cancelled my subscription. To connect is boring and depressing.... so the 13€ are not worth it, at least for me.

Regardless, they need to proofread their official statements. They are professionals, after all.

That is what you took away from the entirety of the article? A spelling mistake?

....and its not an "official statement". It does not even have anything to do with the company. It is a quote from an online gaming magazine, published and printed by that gaming source.

Some of you people will grab anything to beat Bioware over the head with.

Not happening for the same reason a cross server LFG will not happen. This is not a shooter. It is not "Call of Duty". It is an MMORPG developed around the concept of community, not just log on, pick an event and get grouped with random players that you will never see again. Guild wars required one to join a guild, no? Rather then a server, one joined a guild as its "community".

Edited by Blackardin