Remove the rakghoul plague now

I, for one, am FURIOUS.

I am FURIOUS that I didn't know that I could go to the fleet yesterday to infect people for DNA. I thought about it, but from the wording of the quest description, I was under the impression that I could only infect enemy players, so I've only infected 1/10 people so far.

Thanks OP, this shall be corrected. Knowledge is power, and all that

Most fleets have an infection party going on. One huge group of people standing around exploding on each other.

If they are there...they want to be infected. And you can get infected again...and farm DNA, Win/Win. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any amount of "griefing" is offset by the fact that you get experience and valuable items for infecting others and becoming infected, respectively.
No, neither of those are worth anything to me, so they don't offset anything.

No, I'm not arguing semantics. I'm poinging out that just because you think it's a reward doesn't mean that it's a reward for everyone.

It's not a reward for me; it give me 0 benefit and has non-zero penalties.

You are using a real life hypothetical situation based on situational value of my carpet, and poop to back up your argument about a game. How is that not arguing semantics?

That situation, you and I both perceive would unfold completely different than this online game event would.

If you completely ignore the event, and occasionally die from infection. Your net loss is 2 1 second stuns and a death with no penalty. How is that griefing? Its a game mechanic based in a MMO that you agreed to play upon each log in. "Gameplay may change" lawyer speak.

You my good sir, have trolled me well.

No, I'm not arguing semantics. I'm poinging out that just because you think it's a reward doesn't mean that it's a reward for everyone.

So because you can make credits off it and it will take a handful of seconds away from you it's has 0 benefits etc?

Since it doesn't damage or break your gear, since it's gone once you res and since it'll take 20 mins or whatever for you to die from it, giving you something which is very lucrative to sell, I don't see you having much of a point. Especially not since this is nothing new in the MMO world and certainly not since this is far milder than what other games have done in terms of penalties and interferences for those that don't want to participate.

No, the penalties are clearly non-zero. It either costs a non-zero amount of time or a non-zero amount of money.

You're advocating forcing someone to participate in content that they don't want to... that clearly is griefing.

You don't know what griefing is. Giving you a disease that gives you in-game currency and a "death" with no death penalties is not griefing. It's a gift that you should be thankful for.

You are using a real life hypothetical situation based on situational value of my carpet, and poop to back up your argument about a game. How is that not arguing semantics?
arguing semantics would be arguing over the meaning of the words.

I'm not doing that. I'm pointing out that you place value on things that I don't and that I place value on things tat you don't. There's no semantics involved.

there's an analogy involved. but no semantic argument.

If you completely ignore the event, and occasionally die from infection. Your net loss is 2 1 second stuns and a death with no penalty. How is that griefing?
uh... because you've caused me 2 1 second stuns and a death, all of which can cost me additional time.

I mean, it sounds like you think that it wouldn't be griefing if someone could exploit a bug and force you to have your pvp flag on and kill you every 20 minutes, as long as that death didn't cost you any repair bill...

Edited by ferroz

You don't know what griefing is. Giving you a disease that gives you in-game currency and a "death" with no death penalties is not griefing. It's a gift that you should be thankful for.
No, it's not a gift. It's unwanted fertilizer in my living room. Edited by ferroz

No, I'm not arguing semantics. I'm pointing out that just because you think it's a reward doesn't mean that it's a reward for everyone.

It does not give you zero benefit. The DNA samples are tradeable and sellable and thus have value. The fact that you refuse to accept that value is your choice.

So because you can make credits off it and it will take a handful of seconds away from you it's has 0 benefits etc?
Correct. 0 benefit and it has a non-zero cost. Edited by ferroz

no, there aren't better mods that I can buy with credits.

If someone were to come in to your living room and take a dump on your floor, and then say"well I just gave you some free fertilizer" ... I probably place the same value on the prospect of gaining credits that way that most people do with the "free fertilizer" ...

If someone was going to pay me $25000 to take a dump on my floor, I would let them.

I can buy a new carpet for far less than $25k.

It does not give you zero benefit. The DNA samples are tradeable and sellable and thus have value. The fact that you refuse to accept that value is your choice.
No, those credits are valueless to me. They're not worth the time that it eats ... by far.

so if someone throws a twenty dollar bill at you, you would complain how they forced you to touch dirty germ filled money and inconvenienced you, for all of a minute, while you cracked open your wallet and crammed the newly acquired money into it, then placed the billfold squarely back in it's resting place?

difference in example, yes... different in principle? no.

They gave the populace something generally considered fun. If you don't like it... move away from other players for the time being, and go about your business. Really... it isn't like they force you into a 1x1 square box and make you get infected.

sheesh :rolleyes:

Yes.

Yes, griefing has been around since the earliest MMO's. That doesn't mean we shouldn't oppose it whenever it appears.

costing a warzone win would be > 20 minutes, at a guess.

This is false, as people have posted repeatedly, since it doesn't persist through death; it lasts less than 1 war zone on average..

It's not griefing, and you know full well that is not what I meant. If you are going to quote me then make sure to do it in full, don't pull things out of context to twist them to your own ends.

To clarify for anyone who saw your hack and slash quoting and may have misunderstood, this sort of event is nothing new to the MMO world, and events in other MMOs have had far greater impact even on those that don't want to participate in the form of xp debt, gear repair etc depending on the game.

Costing a warzone? are you saying you'd survive long enough in a warzone to die from the infection? Seriously? That is just not a valid argument.

Seeing as it goes away when you die just don't use a vaccine while you're doing warzones, since there would be no point to it. Use them once you decide to do some questing, crafting or whatever that doesn't include the certainly of not staying alive for more than 5-8 mins in a row. This isn't really that hard to figure out and I'm sure your smart enough to do so and I'm assuming that you're simply grasping at straws at this point.

Edit: If you've played other MMOs haven't you come across events like this or events that drag you into them regardless of if you want to or not?

Edited by Runeshard

I mean, it sounds like you think that it wouldn't be griefing if someone could exploit a bug and force you to have your pvp flag on and kill you every 20 minutes, as long as that death didn't cost you any repair bill...

It's funny....my PvP flag was bugged last night, stayed on for an hour after I stopped PvPing and was in a base chit chatting.

I'd be amazed to find a PvP players who had the restraint to only kill me once every 20 minutes. DO you know anyone like that? Cause I'd like to meet them. It would be like meeting Bigfoot.

Last count....I was killed about 20 times, before I went to go do another quest and be social.

And THIS was on a PvE server.

I'm not doing that. I'm pointing out that you place value on things that I don't and that I place value on things tat you don't. There's no semantics involved.

uh... because you've caused me 2 1 second stuns and a death, all of which can cost me additional time.

Study of meaning. Worth. Doesn't have to pertain to pure linguistic values.

I probably could have used a different word. But it can still apply.

And you did it again with that last part. Those situations are not happening, and would produce a different response from the playerbase because of their inherited value. So they do nothing to back up your argument.

there's an analogy involved. but no semantic argument.

Did I read that correctly? Are you really complaining about 30 seconds, tops?

Have you ever made your group wait on you being AFK before? I bet that was a lot longer than 30 seconds. Did they make a hundred posts in a forum thread about it?

The answer to your problem is OPT OUT. Click the stim.

Griefing

pro: gree - fing

Definition:

once known as: to hunt down opposing player and lurk around dead opponent's body resulting in constant loss of life and damage to armor and thus monetary status of said opponent

new definition: when a player wants to be left alone and is bothered by anything other than what they want while playing single player in known MMO space

EX: player is running around looking to kill a mob but another player beats them to it and thus is forced to wait for mob respawn

EX: player is in an MMO and wants to play a single player game

Griefing

Hmm; Dictionary.com reads more like this:

World English Dictionary

griefer or grief player (ˈɡriːfə)

— n

an online game player who intentionally spoils the game for other players

grief player or grief player

— n

Actually looking it up is so much easier than fiction.

No, I'm unhappy about bioware adding an event that encourages player griefing; it's pretty straight forward.

The fact that I'm not in favor of griefing doesn't mean that I'm a troll.

It's not griefing... seriously, I don't know what your personal definition of the term is, but it isn't the same as mine... or the accepted standard usage. There is no harassment element, though if you were complaining about someone chasing you down and re-infecting you continuously I'd agree that constituted griefing if it happened. However I also don't see how that would be easy to do given the mechanics.

Also, your 'non-zero' rationalisation is utter garbage. "Oh noes, I have to wait for loading screens changing zones - BioWare is griefing me; Woe, I must wait 5 seconds to revive at a medcentre- I am being griefed because it is not instant; Rather than spend time gathering I must pay credits to send a companion to do it for me - the injustice!". All those things have a 'non-zero' cost in terms of time or resources too, you must be getting griefed out of it 24/7.

Grow up. In this case the event is easily avoidable if you wish, and there are a variety of ways to unengage with an extremely minimal cost in terms of time or resources. And thats disregarding the option that involves dying at no repair or timer cost and respawning 5 seconds later and earning 20- 80k (server dependent) for your 'trouble', it's like release slicing on crack as a money earner if you want it to be.