not having fun/don't want to play. but don't want to quit?

teambff

anyone else stuck in this situation?

the game, i feel... is a letdown overall and i'm not having as much fun as i would hope to have.. when i log in and play i have a hard time justifying it because i don't have alot of fun.. it's not totally boring or anything but not as much fun as i'd like to have in a game.

it's not burn out, as i know what burn out feels like and what t is as i'm a fairly experienced mmo player and very experienced gamer.

i'm all for story but i don't think the story in this game succeeds, especially in combination with the useless side quests.

there's not enough creativity/free will/exploration/meaningfulness/too linear/not enough variation.

all that being said i don't want to quit either, i don't think it's a bad game.. it's kind of average.

any others also in this situation? if so, how are you going about it? not sure what to do... stick it out and just hope it gets better? kind of feel like a partner in a relationship that he/she kind of wants to get out of but doesn't know how to. :p

Edited by teambff

I'm still enjoying the game, but I can see where the fault lines are starting to show, I don't know if BioWare Austin is capable of delivering the kind of content that is needed to keep this game competitive fast enough.

In the end, if you aren't playing then unsubscribe. It's up to EAware to deliver the kind of content gamers want. If publisher/developers want to commit suicide on the full-voice-acting altar ballooning budgets to unrealistic proportions and then fail to make the games profitable, that's their problem.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I can see where the fault lines are starting to show, I don't know if BioWare Austin is capable of delivering the kind of content that is needed to keep this game competitive fast enough.

In the end, if you aren't playing then unsubscribe. It's up to EAware to deliver the kind of content gamers want. If publisher/developers want to commit suicide on the full-voice-acting altar ballooning budgets to unrealistic proportions and then fail to make the games profitable, that's their problem.

true.

i think the one big advantage they have is that there isn't alot of options in the mmo genre for sci-fi fans... when you look out at the competition they usually fall under the fantasy genre.

i think that's what keeps me playing right now more than anything else, i need my sci-fi fix.

(even though i don't think the game is sci-fi enough, so it doesn't satisfy me completely in that area)

eve online is here but i usually don't like to jump into an mmo hat's already been around for a long time so i don't consider it an option, from what i hear star trek online is a disaster and i tried it once and i couldn't even get into the launcher... not much else.

No MMO company will be able too unless they get back to the grind. WoW was bare bones at release but it took months upon months to hit max lvl so no one noticed it. Now ppl are lvling from 1-85 in 3 days.

Vets know how to lvl in any MMO and will always 100% of the time outpace content if they keep making games easier and easier.

anyone else stuck in this situation?

the game, i feel... is a letdown overall and i'm not having as much fun as i would hope to have.. when i log in and play i have a hard time justifying it because i don't have alot of fun.. it's not totally boring or anything but not as much fun as i'd like to have in a game.

it's not burn out, as i know what burn out feels like and what t is as i'm a fairly experienced mmo player and very experienced gamer.

i'm all for story but i don't think the story in this game succeeds, especially in combination with the useless side quests.

there's not enough creativity/free will/exploration/meaningfulness/too linear/not enough variation.

all that being said i don't want to quit either, i don't think it's a bad game.. it's kind of average.

any others also in this situation? if so, how are you going about it? not sure what to do... stick it out and just hope it gets better? kind of feel like a partner in a relationship that he/she kind of wants to get out of but doesn't know how to. :p

Well, put the game aside for some weeks, then try again and if you still don´t like it end your sub. I don´t think you should play a game, that does not entertain you. There are plenty games out there that might interest you more.

No MMO company will be able too unless they get back to the grind. WoW was bare bones at release but it took months upon months to hit max lvl so no one noticed it. Now ppl are lvling from 1-85 in 3 days.

Vets know how to lvl in any MMO and will always 100% of the time outpace content if they keep making games easier and easier.

but.. is it a grind that we truly desire? or a new way altogether.

in this game, for example... i don't have much fun levelling up, the travel in this game is bruuuuutal, bordering on punishment.. even if the level cap was 100 and it was more grindy and took a year to reach level cap i;n not sure it would make things better because the journey isn't fun enough.

the world's aren't interesting or atmospheric, there isn't really anything interesting to explore, there isn't anything interesting loot specific to find in drops, there isn't any interesting creatures to find, no rare spawn types, or anything out of the ordinary, or anything such as fishing, or just really anything to get you excited in general.

in warcraft the journey was so much fun.. because of the creativity possibly? this game just doesn't have whatever "it" is.

Edited by teambff

in this game, for example... i don't have much fun levelling up, the travel in this game is bruuuuutal, bordering on punishment.. even if the level cap was 100 and it was more grindy and took a year to reach level cap i;n not sure it would make things better because the journey isn't fun enough.

the world's aren't interesting or atmospheric, there isn't really anything interesting to explore, there isn't any interesting loot to find in drops, there isn't any interesting creatures to find or just really anything to get you excited in general.

in warcraft the journey was so much fun.. because of the creativity possibly? this game just doesn't have whatever "it" is.

I think you got it reverse ;) WoW is a major grind until recently with the exp reduce for 1-60 and more to 60-85. Before leveling up was a pain.

SWTOR leveling is fast and quick.

true.

i think the one big advantage they have is that there isn't alot of options in the mmo genre for sci-fi fans... when you look out at the competition they usually fall under the fantasy genre.

i think that's what keeps me playing right now more than anything else, i need my sci-fi fix.

(even though i don't think the game is sci-fi enough, so it doesn't satisfy me completely in that area)

eve online is here but i usually don't like to jump into an mmo hat's already been around for a long time so i don't consider it an option, from what i hear star trek online is a disaster and i tried it once and i couldn't even get into the launcher... not much else.

Star Wars is science fantasy, instead of elves we have Twileks, and orcs and gnomes aren't playable, and the force instead of magic. Although Final Fantasy does have Jawas (Vivi from FFIX, anyone? :) )

Star Trek is sci-fi, Eve Online is sci-fi (but a completely different gaming genre entirely).

I think you got it reverse WoW is a major grind until recently with the exp reduce for 1-60 and more to 60-85. Before leveling up was a pain.

- In wow you can also level via dungeon tool your not forced to replay the same areas over and over again.

You can level fast in SWTOR via dungeons but standing in the fleet spamming LFG really kills your xp.

I think you got it reverse ;) WoW is a major grind until recently with the exp reduce for 1-60 and more to 60-85. Before leveling up was a pain.

grind or no grind, the journey was fun.

same with final fantasy 11, one of the biggest grinds but the journey was fun.

swtor the journey isn't fun, everything is put on the class storyline to provide the fun in the journey and it has flashes of fun where it works but most of the time they aren't that good and just drag on and there isn't really much else to pick up the slack.

OP, I know EXACTLY how you are feeling.

I love TOR, and hate it, in equal measures at the moment....and can't put my finger on why to either end of the spectrum :confused:

Yes, there's not enough to do, but that will come in time.

Yes, rated WZ's being pushed back (For me personally) put a dent in things.

No, don't want to log in for a mammoth 8-10 play session either.

Tis very strange indeed

the world's aren't interesting or atmospheric, there isn't really anything interesting to explore, there isn't anything interesting loot specific to find in drops, there isn't any interesting creatures to find, no rare spawn types, or anything out of the ordinary, or anything such as fishing, or just really anything to get you excited in general.

To each thier own tbh, i despise fantasy it quite litterally makes me want to vomit so WoW was a horrible experiance for me full of tired LOTR architypes and themes just with a cartoon shell. I am however a SW fanboy & member of the 501st so although lvling is too fast i do enjoy the ride much more than i would in a fantasy game playing the part of Harry Potter. As to the grind or not to grind...what else is there?

Star Wars is science fantasy, instead of elves we have Twileks, and orcs and gnomes aren't playable, and the force instead of magic. Although Final Fantasy does have Jawas (Vivi from FFIX, anyone? :) )

Star Trek is sci-fi, Eve Online is sci-fi (but a completely different gaming genre entirely).

it's still sci-fi.

there is no science fantasy as a seperate thing to sci-fi... it's just a variation of sci-fi with various elements of different types, sci-fi with elements of fantasy. seriously, i can't believe people still try and debate this over the years.

when you deal with things such as space ships, aliens, wormholes, space travel, energy, advance medicine, robotics/androids,, etc, etc... it's sci-fi.

because there is comedy or horror doesn't mean it changes and becomes only a comedy or horror, seperate from it's basis.

the setting, the atmosphere, most of it's foundation is based in sci-fi.

Edited by teambff

I am torn. I feel like I want to enjoy alts and see their stories, but I feel like if I don't spend a minimum amount of time on my main doing old dailies (for money), new dailies (for money + comms), daily HM, weekly normal Operation, and new weekly HM Kaon+LI that I am doing something wrong. This is outside of my weekly raiding of HM EV or KP and the new weekly Op.

So while I want to have fun leveling and seeing the story of another toon, I am pidgeonholed by not doing these other daily activities which by now are strictly a grind and not remotely fun. If I don't do those dailies though, I don't have repair money for ops, don't get comms for gearing up companions.

Overall the game is going to great lengths to keep us doing dailies, something that I still scorn WoW for polishing that particular turd.

I think you got it reverse WoW is a major grind until recently with the exp reduce for 1-60 and more to 60-85. Before leveling up was a pain.

- In wow you can also level via dungeon tool your not forced to replay the same areas over and over again.

You can level fast in SWTOR via dungeons but standing in the fleet spamming LFG really kills your xp.

Make friends. its an MassiveMultiplayerOnline game after all. Why bother? If there would be a tool to find people that want to level quickly and that have zero social contact interest......AWESOME! >.>....<.<

Get my point? All you dysfunctional social disasters roaming the WWW should get your lives in order and then come back and CONTRIBUTE! >.<

Edited by mArchangel

I am torn. I feel like I want to enjoy alts and see their stories, but I feel like if I don't spend a minimum amount of time on my main doing old dailies (for money), new dailies (for money + comms), daily HM, weekly normal Operation, and new weekly HM Kaon+LI that I am doing something wrong. This is outside of my weekly raiding of HM EV or KP and the new weekly Op.

So while I want to have fun leveling and seeing the story of another toon, I am pidgeonholed by not doing these other daily activities which by now are strictly a grind and not remotely fun. If I don't do those dailies though, I don't have repair money for ops, don't get comms for gearing up companions.

Overall the game is going to great lengths to keep us doing dailies, something that I still scorn WoW for polishing that particular turd.

you're not missing alot, i'm the complete opposite... i have 6 characters that i level and working on 8. for me, it's always been the journey in mmo's.. i enjoy to level up the different characters and see how each one differs and to enjoy the variety and difference between them... because i get extremely bored with the same thing, it would literaly pain me to use the same character at level 50 and just grind like some job with raids and dailies, ack!

that's why i was excited with this game, i thought the journey of levelling all the classes would be the most fun part of the game but it really falls short of that expectation.

i don't want to quit, maybe i just need someone to convince me to keep playing.. i dunno. lol. :D

i'd like to stick it out for a few more months, i wish they'd release some kind outline of their future plans and what kind of direction they're going to take things.. it would sure help to make an informed decision.

I have a similiar problem. I was excited at all the possiblites the story could go to. I'm one of those gamers that if I missed something cool/exciting I would redo the whole experience. However with this game, the story is on a predetermined track just like everything else. It was a huge let down. Yes there were times when some choices I made "impacted" the story, like leaving someone alive and they show up later. But nothing that made me wonder what would happen if I went back and killed him.

I understand Biowares reasoning behind this style of choices. There would be endless crying if you killed someone and then realized you could have used them later on. To me, I think they could have been innovative in the MMO market if they had implemented a lot more story archs like that. If they could have somehow made the claim "no two stories the same" I think this game would have had its own identity. Right now it has none.

I know how you all feel, I have been there. When the server pops dropped and nearly my entire guild disappeared it was a real bummer. 1.2 brought back a few, and this world event has me feeling like its launch day all over again. I definitely recommend participating in the world event. I am having a blast with it and am having trouble tearing myself away, but I have to work. Good luck to all and stick with it. I think BW Live Event's Team is going to surprise the lot of us! Edited by rangccom

I have a similiar problem. I was excited at all the possiblites the story could go to. I'm one of those gamers that if I missed something cool/exciting I would redo the whole experience. However with this game, the story is on a predetermined track just like everything else. It was a huge let down. Yes there were times when some choices I made "impacted" the story, like leaving someone alive and they show up later. But nothing that made me wonder what would happen if I went back and killed him.

I understand Biowares reasoning behind this style of choices. There would be endless crying if you killed someone and then realized you could have used them later on. To me, I think they could have been innovative in the MMO market if they had implemented a lot more story archs like that. If they could have somehow made the claim "no two stories the same" I think this game would have had its own identity. Right now it has none.

wow! you really summed up alot of what i was feeling. well said, i agree with pretty much all of that. not having true choices and no impact and just some linear basic story really doesn't get you interested. truly, it has been a let down.

a good example was one of my first real tough choices, on coruscant there was a senator who got in with a bad gang to help her cause but she had just reasons for her actions because her opponent was this bad guy who would of just made things worst, the decision to support her was actually the dark choice and the choice really intriguedd me because i felt it was the light side choice... but after making the choice it just didn't live up to what i had hoped, i think there was some letter by mail she sent, i dunno it just didn't do it for me. none of my choices really feel like choices, at all. or they just don't satisfy me as to what i would hope.

Edited by teambff

so true players can blow through content faster than any company can pump it out, then complain there is nothing to do.

I enjoy the game, I have played many mmo's, growing pains is part of the game, good patches bad patches content updates balance passes, I think all this crazy stuff keeps me playing, one thing to never do is set expections to high, I never expect much, I am rarely disapointed.

I agree with the OP. The fun factor in this game is - lacking.

And to me, the #1 reason for this is "COMBAT". Combat is generally - not very fun.

I can't nail it down, but the flow and feel of it - just doesn't feel right.

I find myself playing my two stealth characters (scoundrel/shadow) 95% of the time just so I can stealth past as much as possible.

Normally, I'd kill everything in my path... but in this game? :cool:

you're not missing alot, i'm the complete opposite... i have 6 characters that i level and working on 8. for me, it's always been the journey in mmo's.. i enjoy to level up the different characters and see how each one differs and to enjoy the variety and difference between them... because i get extremely bored with the same thing, it would literaly pain me to use the same character at level 50 and just grind like some job with raids and dailies, ack!

that's why i was excited with this game, i thought the journey of levelling all the classes would be the most fun part of the game but it really falls short of that expectation.

i don't want to quit, maybe i just need someone to convince me to keep playing.. i dunno. lol. :D

i'd like to stick it out for a few more months, i wish they'd release some kind outline of their future plans and what kind of direction they're going to take things.. it would sure help to make an informed decision.

Maybe leveling so many at once is actually hurting your experience. I mean switching around causes a break in the submersion which prevents you from possibly living out the story as they intended.

I know how you all feel, I have been there. When the server pops dropped and nearly my entire guild disappeared it was a real bummer. 1.2 brought back a few, and this world event has me feeling like its launch day all over again. I definitely recommend participating in the world event. I am having a blast with it and am having trouble tearing myself away, but I have to work. Good luck to all and stick with it. I think BW Live Event's Team is going to surprise the lot of us!

i hate to say this and i mean no disrespect to bioware or anyone enjoying the event... but i already experienced it in warcraft where we were plagued and would go infect everyone, enemies would infect all our npcs and zombies were everywhere.. :o

it feels too similar.

so... i can't really find the same enthusiasm for it.

Edited by teambff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.