Using Master Strike as Watchman

andrew_b_gross

We've had this discussion before, but not since combat logging came out.

In the "Post your DPS logs here" thread, there is a ocmmon theme: Watchman that use Master Strike consistently have DPS 150-200 higher than those that don't. Obviously there's lots of gear differences and buff differences and it's a small sample set, but it looked like something to try.

On the training dummy, going from never using Master Strike to always using Master Strike as soon as it's up gives me 150-175 extra DPS.

Your mileage may vary, but it's easy to check; take 30 minutes and do some tests using it and not using it and compare the results.

the person who first said cliping it was a good idea was a moron. The last tick in solid gear can crit for well over 3k, which is is only beat by a merciless strike crit. Nothing you do will do more damage in 2 GCDs with no cost like master strike.

you use it on cooldown provided your other stuff is taken care of like your dots and you have merci slash on cooldown.

Masterstrike should be used in your rotating even before the significant buff it received. It costs no Focus and does superb damage and works as an excellent time fill while you're waiting on the cooldown of other abilities like Overload Saber, Cauterize and Merciless Slash.

As a Guardian pre 1.2 I was insistent that my damage was higher when I used Master Strike every single time I possibly could in PVE and PVP and allow all 3 ticks to land if I could and some on the forum insisted it was useless or wasn't worth it, then I went higher in our Vigilance tree than many do and took Zen Strike which gives Master Strike a 30% chance to refresh after a Overhead Strike and was told it was an even more useless talent than Master Strike is an attack, again used Master Strike every single time I possibly could and in a tank stance my damage went through the roof, I went from doing 190k a battle to around 300k a battle, this is outside of Voidstar.

Not Sentinel numbers of course, but I'm still a tank.

Post 1.2 it hits even harder and can't be stopped unless they waste a CC cooldown (and the first two hits land faster than the GCD so the first two strikes will land).

Master Strike, for Guardians at least, should have been used even before its 1.2 buff as one of our main attacks, not "something to do if everything is on cooldown".

Edited by CapuchinSeven

masterstrike is awesome now, especially if you can catch someone who is immoblized. well over 3k on the last tick... oh yeah easily. In PvP I smoked some kid for 4k on the last tick of masterstrike... graded he had to have no expertise and debuffed somehow but it was pretty giggidy.

I can only imagine it in Combat with the root on it is pretty sweet. It's totally worth using, especially if you've for other stuff on cooldown. I find myself now using it every time it's available on a target that is not really trying to get away from me.

I'm not going to re-explain the reason for why it is so useful but here's my main reason behind...

It's a good skill and the last hit will land unless...

- Opponent is at least 10 meters away from you

- Found a spot to hide (a wall, barrel, pillar...)

- Is actively running away without any slows

- Uses a knock back...

- Kills you :p

In most cases, the Master Strike third strike will land and hit like a truck. Combine that with a Merc Slash and watch the poor cloth wearer dropping to 1/4 HP.

Learn to use it and you'll do fine. For me, what works the best is Force Cam... go behind someone while invisable and kick it off... by the time the person notices what's going on, you'll be landing your third hit. ;)

I use it all the time in my PvE fighting. For me, the time I most often bust it is when I'm fighting powerful strongs, elites or better.

I usually go - Force Leap, Overload Saber, Zealous Strike, Cauterize, Merciless Strike. Since Merciless usually resets the CD on Cauterize but I just applied it, I need a filler. Master Strike is the perfect filler. It lasts just slightly longer than the ticks on Cauterzie, so once I land that third hit, I'm ready to apply Cauterize again.

The damage is good and it's free. Not using it would be like not using Opportune Strike after leaping to a normal or strong enemy. You're just wasting DPS that is free.

Never understood the Master Strike hate... but then again I'm strictly PvE.

Before 1.2 it hit like a truck. After it hits like a truck with a bomb on the bumper. :p

As others have said, why pass up free DPS? It's also a chance to catch your breath and figure out what your next move is thanks to the long animation. Cleans up trash mobs nice, too, saving your focus for the big guys.

Never understood the Master Strike hate... but then again I'm strictly PvE.

Before 1.2 it hit like a truck. After it hits like a truck with a bomb on the bumper. :p

As others have said, why pass up free DPS? It's also a chance to catch your breath and figure out what your next move is thanks to the long animation. Cleans up trash mobs nice, too, saving your focus for the big guys.

its because most players are clueless honestly. they read on something that is just terrible on the forums and think its coming from someone who is good when in reality its the opposite. Just like it took forever to convince people that over 100% accruacy did NOT reduce target armor, but bad people will get something stuck in their heads and never let it go not matter how wrong they are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.