Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Were you all sleeping during the 1.2 upgrade?

Symona

What genius suggested to **** characters of all their skill points just to make players play the cosmic joke of "now where did I spend my points"? I have 20 character spread accross 3 or 4 servers and I'm supposed to remember how I spent each skill point?

Where you all asleep when this was suggested? Where was the voice of reason that said "If we're going to remove a skill from a tree then we refund those skill points and leave the rest where the player liked them." Or perahaps even the voice of reason that said "Hey, why don't we give players the option if they want to totally respec their characters or keep the points where they are."

Are you trying to piss off players so that they decide to quit the game and never come back?

Now I've had to respec enough of my characters that it's going to take all my weekend testing them see what was lost. Are they more powerfull than I left them? Less? Thanks a lot *****!

Next time you roll out a big patch like this perhaps you'll think of us poor players first?

You do realise skills have a different effect now? So instead of ************ about things assign skill points how you see fit and how suits your play style.

It takes no time to set things back up the way you want to play.

Hello there,

I understand your frustration with this. I am going to assume that this is your first adventure into an MMO. As such, when they change around the position, and talents within the skill tree, you are going to find that they reset the skill points of the affected classes.

The reason they do this, is because those skills have changed position in the tree / been removed / been altered. So instead of hearing the wrath of the affected players having to spend in game money to rectify this problem, they give you a free tree reset.

Thanks for reading,

Drakedge.

What genius suggested to **** characters of all their skill points just to make players play the cosmic joke of "now where did I spend my points"?

So they're stupid, but you don't know where you spent your points. Got it.

Next time, read the little boxes instead of having a website spec for you.

Edited by JustTed

Sadly this is done with other games as well. This is nothing new, and is always a pain in the backside, and never pleasing to re-spec.

This has been prevalent over the years of the MMO that everyone, or most everyone (sorry to those that actually do not), holds as their standard flag bearer for comparison.

As annoying as it is, and it is very much so, I think it is easier for them to just "wipe the slate clean" and leave you with the points, mess?, and re-spec.

Best of luck to you.

Happy Hunting.

What genius suggested to **** characters of all their skill points just to make players play the cosmic joke of "now where did I spend my points"? I have 20 character spread accross 3 or 4 servers and I'm supposed to remember how I spent each skill point?

Where you all asleep when this was suggested? Where was the voice of reason that said "If we're going to remove a skill from a tree then we refund those skill points and leave the rest where the player liked them." Or perahaps even the voice of reason that said "Hey, why don't we give players the option if they want to totally respec their characters or keep the points where they are."

Are you trying to piss off players so that they decide to quit the game and never come back?

Now I've had to respec enough of my characters that it's going to take all my weekend testing them see what was lost. Are they more powerfull than I left them? Less? Thanks a lot *****!

Next time you roll out a big patch like this perhaps you'll think of us poor players first?

Yes. When Bioware is working on patches and updates to a game they have spent boat loads of money on, as well as years and years of developing and programming, I am almost positive they said to each other "you know what? in patch 1.2 lets just p*** off people by changing stuff and maybe they will unsubscribe". I am sure in no way when they update stuff and add things they are simply trying to make the best MMO ever and please their customers.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa! They posted the patch notes on PTS prior to live release. It's not their fault you didn't read them.

Yes, they posted that skill points would be refunded. Common sense says that they would only refund skill points from skills no longer on the tree. Not **** your whole characters skill sheet.

Okay I giggled when I read this, anyway they have to reset everything because the worth of all the points and their relation to each other changes so overall more people would be annoyed if they didn't get a reset and other options are too fiddly to implement.

To the OP,

Ok, I hear what you're saying...you've got a boat-load of toons (more than most) and you cannot remember "easily" what skills you had on which toons. I totally understand how rebuilding in your case is a pain in the arse. But like one guy/gal said earlier, this happens in MMOs and they have a needed reason to do the respec. With that said, here's my solution... I periodically screen shot my trees for my toons and keep them on file. So when a reset happens, it's no big deal to put things back. Once you get your toons set back up, then screen shot them all.

I hope this helps you in the future. (It made it easy for me to put my toons' specs back in minutes.)

Good day, all! :D

Hello there,

I understand your frustration with this. I am going to assume that this is your first adventure into an MMO. As such, when they change around the position, and talents within the skill tree, you are going to find that they reset the skill points of the affected classes.

The reason they do this, is because those skills have changed position in the tree / been removed / been altered. So instead of hearing the wrath of the affected players having to spend in game money to rectify this problem, they give you a free tree reset.

Thanks for reading,

Drakedge.

I assure you I've played many an MMO (probably more than you) and never has a change in a stats tree ever caused the whole tree to be shaken off. My skill selections are chosen as I earn then specifically to enhance a play style, not by website. It should have been very easy to "preserve" the stats currently spent especially from the skills that didn't change positinon or effect. Why is this so hard for anyone to understand? Am I the only hardcore player who's not upset with this?

I assure you I've played many an MMO (probably more than you) and never has a change in a stats tree ever caused the whole tree to be shaken off. My skill selections are chosen as I earn then specifically to enhance a play style, not by website. It should have been very easy to "preserve" the stats currently spent especially from the skills that didn't change positinon or effect. Why is this so hard for anyone to understand? Am I the only hardcore player who's not upset with this?

Then you've never played WoW.

Yes, they posted that skill points would be refunded. Common sense says that they would only refund skill points from skills no longer on the tree. Not **** your whole characters skill sheet.

Didn't play WoW did ya? They did this there every time they made big changes too.

Edited by sirheimer

To the OP,

Ok, I hear what you're saying...you've got a boat-load of toons (more than most) and you cannot remember "easily" what skills you had on which toons. I totally understand how rebuilding in your case is a pain in the arse. But like one guy/gal said earlier, this happens in MMOs and they have a needed reason to do the respec. With that said, here's my solution... I periodically screen shot my trees for my toons and keep them on file. So when a reset happens, it's no big deal to put things back. Once you get your toons set back up, then screen shot them all.

I hope this helps you in the future. (It made it easy for me to put my toons' specs back in minutes.)

Good day, all! :D

Guess I will have to do that so the next time the roll out a patch and screw all our characters stats again then I can al least put back what I can. Thanks for the suggestion...

I've seen some good whines, but this one is just pathetic.

I actually like the free respects, you get to read your talents once again, so if you don't play on a certain character for a long time you kinda get a reminder of how your class works - I like it.

I don't know, I can understand why it could be somewhat annoying to have this happen.

At the same time, I thought it was abundantly clear from the patch notes and other developer comments that all skill points would be refunded.

I also have to say that the other poster is correct in saying that they did this because those classes which had their points refunded had some skill areas entirely changed. Leaving all points as they were would in many cases change altogether the builds people had. If a tier 2 skill changes in functionality, it can change in many cases the effects of multiple items above it, making the entire build completely different. Further, because the skills trees work by a numerical unlock of higher tiers, there is simply no metaphysical way to refund only those changed skills, as to do so might make the upper tiers of the tree locked, forcing those to be refunded as well.

I must say that I have 5 characters myself, and it was not hard from memory to reassign the skill points and to redesign the quickslots correctly. Of course, my memory is better than some, but there really was sufficient warning that if you were concerned about having too many characters to remember, you could have noted or taken screenshots of your skilltree setups.

I do understand on the one hand, but on the other hand, I really do believe this is a matter of personal responsibility.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.