Choice of Dark side or Light side Powers

Shenronx

Ever since this game came out I wanted to be a Jedi Consular with force lightning and I was hoping this 1.2 update would fix this but of course it only gave me force storm that I can obtain once I get my sith sorcerer to lvl 50 and even then I can only use every 20mins because thats the cooldown for Heroic moment. Would it really be that hard to give the players a choice between telekinetics and force lighting animations? The same ability's but different looks? Something that doesn't have to do with legacys! It's a really simple and quick fix and I highly doubt people would complain and would actually praise the idea. Bioware has always been a company where they in power the player with the power of choice. I hate the morality choices I have as a sith inquisitor because half the time I'm like "Ok how is that Evil" or "How is that not good" or even "How come I don't have the choice?" but on the Jedi side you can be really what ever you want. And I have friends on the republic side so I tend to stay on my Consular. Force users have walked the path of light and used dark side powers. Such as Reven (There is alot just can't think of their names) and even Bioware other game "knights of the old republic" you play as a character who can use dark side powers and still be a Jedi. All I want is the choice of animations from mirroring abilitys. If this is done this game will be that much better. (I also want Force scream for my Guardian)

I think it would be cool for Force users to have the option to use the other side's abilities if they are attuned to that side of the Force. For example, you play a Jedi class and you reached Dark V, then I think it would be awesome if you had the choice to use the Sith's abilities. Perhaps make it a requirement that you keep Dark/Light IV or above, if you drop they revert back to the dark/light defaults. Probably won't happen, but I think it would be cool.

What you're asking isn't based on alignment (Light/Dark). It's based on training. Since a Consular does not train to use Sith lightning techniques, a Consular should not be able to use Sith lightning techniques.

In short, no. Bad idea.

Yeah, I get that point. Still think it would be a cool feature.

What you're asking isn't based on alignment (Light/Dark). It's based on training. Since a Consular does not train to use Sith lightning techniques, a Consular should not be able to use Sith lightning techniques.

In short, no. Bad idea.

Well some one had to make the technique up right? The first to use it was not told how to use it but he leaned and teached him self. Also what they could do is add a dlc to have one of your trainers teach you how to use it.

I like that idea tho (having trainers teach you dark/light side powers) but since force lighting is unconventional it should be only a select few can teach you, or maybe make place some new trainers to teach you how to use them.

This isn't done for a variety of reasons, least of which ease of identification out in the field, and especially in PvP.

If you see a guy in robes throwing rocks, you know they're a Consular, if you see a guy in robes shooting lightning out of his hands, well, it's a safe bet that's an Inquisitor.

So if you're a Republic player on a PvP server you know you can approach the Consular for a quick heal and buff, and stay away from the Inquisitor, or try to attack, I guess.

In short, no. Bad idea.

In the lore, there is no training for using lightning. Jaina used it without training. It came natural to all jedi who used it. I don't remember one time it was ever actually taught. So... I don't see why this can't be done, based on alignment. Except the designers want to keep the 2 factions separate.

This isn't done for a variety of reasons, least of which ease of identification out in the field, and especially in PvP.

If you see a guy in robes throwing rocks, you know they're a Consular, if you see a guy in robes shooting lightning out of his hands, well, it's a safe bet that's an Inquisitor.

So if you're a Republic player on a PvP server you know you can approach the Consular for a quick heal and buff, and stay away from the Inquisitor, or try to attack, I guess.

Or... Stay away/attack red. I do believe allies are green? That seems easier.

It's easy to tell who is you ally and who is you enemy, ally's have green names and enemy's have red. It's really isn't that hard all I'm asking for is more customization for my characters.

Oh ya why is it most of the light armor bottoms are "robes" and not pants? I think the only place i could find customizable pants was Alderaan lol.

if yo are throwing lore into this, let me throw a scenario at you.

You are taking down this boss, with all your jedi council friends, and suddenly you shoot lightning out your hands, identifying yourself as a follower of the dark side.

Shouldn't all your jedi friends be able to attack and slay you then ?

This is why we have two factions.. Sith and Jedi.

I'm sorry you feel it is unfair you can only throw peddles around, but that is the choice you made when you started playing this game.

Edited by xPraetorianx

if yo are throwing lore into this, let me throw a scenario at you.

You are taking down this boss, with all your jedi council friends, and suddenly you shoot lightning out your hands, identifying yourself as a follower of the dark side.

Shouldn't all your jedi friends be able to attack and slay you then ?

This is why we have two factions.. Sith and Jedi.

I'm sorry you feel it is unfair you can only throw peddles around, but that is the choice you made when you started playing this game.

Like I said before you can follow the path of light and still use dark side powers. The lore split the force into 2 parts Light (healing and telekinetics) and Dark (Damage and other forms of sith alchemy), but luke used a variant of force lightning that was more towards the light side I believe. But any ways you don't have to be evil to use the dark side of the force for example my force alignment is light on my sith inquisitor and yet I still can use force lightning, Revan can use dark side powers and hes good and so can Luke.

It's easy to tell who is you ally and who is you enemy, ally's have green names and enemy's have red. It's really isn't that hard all I'm asking for is more customization for my characters.

Oh ya why is it most of the light armor bottoms are "robes" and not pants? I think the only place i could find customizable pants was Alderaan lol.

Same reason, ease of identification.

Single lightsaber with pants? Guardian/Juggernaut.

Single lightsaber with skirt? Sage/Sorcerer.

I myself would also like some more trousers for Inquisitors and Consulars but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Edited by Bielduwyn

Same reason, ease of identification.

Single lightsaber with pants? Guardian/Juggernaut.

Single lightsaber with skirt? Sage/Sorcerer.

I myself would also like some more trousers for Inquisitors and Consulars but I can see the reasoning behind it.

You can't always tell what type of class the NPC's you just have to look at the description. Regardless you don't need to no what type of enemy your facing to kill it.

I know what you mean tho, people may get confused at times but people can easily get beyond it.

Oh I'm sure, but I'm fairly sure that is Bioware's reasoning behind it. As TF2 also consciously went for designs so that you could tell from any distance from a quick glance which class you were facing thanks to the weapon and the silhouette of the character.

Ever since this game came out I wanted to be a Jedi Consular with force lightning and I was hoping this 1.2 update would fix this but of course it only gave me force storm that I can obtain once I get my sith sorcerer to lvl 50 and even then I can only use every 20mins because thats the cooldown for Heroic moment. Would it really be that hard to give the players a choice between telekinetics and force lighting animations? The same ability's but different looks? Something that doesn't have to do with legacys! It's a really simple and quick fix and I highly doubt people would complain and would actually praise the idea. Bioware has always been a company where they in power the player with the power of choice. I hate the morality choices I have as a sith inquisitor because half the time I'm like "Ok how is that Evil" or "How is that not good" or even "How come I don't have the choice?" but on the Jedi side you can be really what ever you want. And I have friends on the republic side so I tend to stay on my Consular. Force users have walked the path of light and used dark side powers. Such as Reven (There is alot just can't think of their names) and even Bioware other game "knights of the old republic" you play as a character who can use dark side powers and still be a Jedi. All I want is the choice of animations from mirroring abilitys. If this is done this game will be that much better. (I also want Force scream for my Guardian)

Or how about this.... because force lighting is a DARK SIDE ABILITY BW!!!!!!!........ allow only darksiders to use it. I have no idea what the light/dark side points mean.... nothing now... because everyone can use any color crystals and what not. I think there is some gear that is dark/light... but in SW... BW ONCE AGAIN THIS IS SW...... darkside/ lightside meant much much more......

Or how about this.... because force lighting is a DARK SIDE ABILITY BW!!!!!!!........ allow only darksiders to use it. I have no idea what the light/dark side points mean.... nothing now... because everyone can use any color crystals and what not. I think there is some gear that is dark/light... but in SW... BW ONCE AGAIN THIS IS SW...... darkside/ lightside meant much much more......

Dark and Light mean a lot only because they wanted it to. Dark and Light is just a separation of one thing, the force. One side focuses on damage and the other telekinetic.

In Mass Effect (another Bioware game fyi) has Paragon and Renegade points that really mean anything its just shows you how evil or good you've been. The reason I dislike this separation they had implemented into the game is because it is the expanded lore that has different canon from the movies so there is no reason to hinder the players of they're freedom to make choices. (Bioware rarely hinders the players such as this) I'm exited about The Secret world because of the choices Funcom allows you to make.

Those class markers that are now above all character's heads (if you left it on, of course) is a 100% way to know what you are fighting. Considering that soon social armor will be available to all armor classes, augments to any item (not just crafted) and the new match-to-chest covering up some important key triggers of old class identifications, the old chestnut about "so we can identify" is no longer valid.

Honestly when Legacy was first announced I was PRAYING for animation trades. Consulars with lightning, Master Strike animation on my SW instead of Ravage ect. But we didn't get it and it's worth asking for them to think on it again. Just because of how much fun it could be.

In short, no. Bad idea.

Thats bull. There are plenty of historical examples where abilities were not taught. And I know it is confirmed that both jedi and sith can use light/dark abilities. in addition, there are numerous places where a dark jedi could learn the abilities, whether its a holocron, a family member (i.e legacy...) or the simplest, go see a sith on a neutral planet.

The lore of Star Wars allows Light Sided Force users to use Dark Sided powers, however the use of that power is typically not as strong as it is from a Dark Sider and can cause harm to the user. Therefor a Light Sided Jedi Consular would not use a Dark Side power typically because it would negatively affect them. When a Light Sider uses a Dark Side power they are also tempted by the Dark Side and thus would be moving closer to it unless properly balanced.

The same is true for the Dark Siders that attempt to use Light Side powers ... if it were to happen, it would not be for people who are oppositely aligned but I would like to be a Dark Jedi for example or a Redeemed Sith that uses the powers of the other side.

The lore of Star Wars allows Light Sided Force users to use Dark Sided powers, however the use of that power is typically not as strong as it is from a Dark Sider and can cause harm to the user. Therefor a Light Sided Jedi Consular would not use a Dark Side power typically because it would negatively affect them. When a Light Sider uses a Dark Side power they are also tempted by the Dark Side and thus would be moving closer to it unless properly balanced.

The same is true for the Dark Siders that attempt to use Light Side powers ... if it were to happen, it would not be for people who are oppositely aligned but I would like to be a Dark Jedi for example or a Redeemed Sith that uses the powers of the other side.

Well they already let any of the characters use force storm with no problem so your argument is invalid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.