The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Promotion now expanded

GregZeschuk

This promotion is going to bite BW in the rear for months, possibly years to come.

Whether it be the customer who feels slighted because they don't meet the requirements of the current promotion, and as a result unsubscribes. Or the customer who now expects to be reimbursed for the lack of something to do at endgame.

There is always going to be a large portion of the population that will finish new endgame content days or weeks after it is released. They will find themselves in the same spot, with nothing to do at 50. A precedent has just been set that such a player deserves reimbursement. When they don't get it, they might then unsubscribe.

Why this is all my opinion and is very hypothetical, it still scares me. I like this game, and hope to play it years to come. I worry that the latest PR move is going to end up costing BW a lot of losses monetarily, and therefore they will just cut the losses and move on, hence no more TOR.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you deserve that free month more than me because you have played the game further than I have while we both paid the same amount of money I cannot say, because I have not yet thought of it.

I'll just say I could write the length of your post about 20 times over just on why PvP at level 50 is inadequate atm. But they're workin on it and heading in a better direction recently with the actions they've taken imo.

Is your loss of money more or less importent than mine? I don't really care. This is not about the 30 days of free gametime for me.

There is no loss of money we all get it, 30 days is a non-issue. I posted serveral times yesterday that I thought they would give it to everyone eventually and they have.

I could also argument that my money has been used to advance the content I don't even play.

Cmon really, you're blissfully playing the best part of the game and You will eventually get to 50 no?

But I won't.. My point is only about what many people have said before - are we lowlevel characters that still paid from day one less valueable than the rest? Can you mesure the importence of two customers that have both invested the same amount of money in your product simply because one has used it more.

You are not less valuable

/comfort

The statement was specifically to address people with level 50's who were down right angry about content not added. Even thought it was a good move for them to make.

I stated before that I believe if it is a reward and I am not in it then it should be for those that really helped, bug reporters, those that gave good suggestions on the forums and those that have helped other players out in the game by giving up their own paid gametime for that.

It's a reward for everyone now, please get over it already.

But for having simply played further than others - that is beyond my comprehension.

Again: I don't mean it evil and I am happy for you, but I am unhappy for myself as a customer, not as a gamer.

You still don't get it. People who have been level 50 for months already know all about end game and how it was lacking (prior to 1.2). It's not that hard to get to fifty even at a fairly causal level trust me. The people who are upset are:

1.Extremely casual players

2.Altoholics

3.People who are OCD about creating and deleting characters.

They value us all, take your free month and be happy ffs.

I've been with the game from the start, unbroken subscription, and I still don't get a free month.

I don't care about the statement. The fact of the matter is that the reward schema is still tied to level progression, rather than to the time you have been a paying customer. Look to Anarchy Online, they did this right.

The fact of the matter is that BioWare is asking loyal casual players to subsidies the subscription for the hard core part of the player base, in order to appease them while they try and make the game more attractive for that part of the customer base. Unless you think all costs associated with making the game available to you somehow went away, those that do not get the reward will be paying for the rest.

If you somehow missed that, and you somehow aren't Legacy level 6, then no, you haven't been here from the start, and if you have, you have done absolutely nothing of significance in this game.

If that is the case, you must have played for like 10 minutes per week.

They aren't asking you to do anything, they are *telling* you that you haven't been negatively impacted by ANY of the things that have caused them to GIVE THIS FREE MONTH to players that they *never* had to give out in the first place.

Edited by Celebrus

This promotion is going to bite BW in the rear for months, possibly years to come.

Whether it be the customer who feels slighted because they don't meet the requirements of the current promotion, and as a result unsubscribes. Or the customer who now expects to be reimbursed for the lack of something to do at endgame.

There is always going to be a large portion of the population that will finish new endgame content days or weeks after it is released. They will find themselves in the same spot, with nothing to do at 50. A precedent has just been set that such a player deserves reimbursement. When they don't get it, they might then unsubscribe.

Why this is all my opinion and is very hypothetical, it still scares me. I like this game, and hope to play it years to come. I worry that the latest PR move is going to end up costing BW a lot of losses monetarily, and therefore they will just cut the losses and move on, hence no more TOR.

/agreed

Here are the problems with this solution:

1. The community for SWTOR is in shambles and virtually non-existant right now.
  2. Doing anything that will hinder the community even further is not good for anyone more especially BW.
  3. This splits up the community by saying that one group of people is more deserving over another.
  4. People don't like it when people are put into groups and get benefits because of it: sex, race, lifestyle, diet, age, playstyle
  5. We all have opinions and will state them very directly - to each group they seem aggressive and cold. Name calling pursues - are you an idiot? Why don't you care? Be thankful you twit! etc...
  6. Treat everyone the same or expect backfire.

This is human nature. BW just lit a very short fuse.

Edited by vaugerant

I would if I could, or have i missed that they changed something aside from the legacy level 6 criteria?

Dude, how can you NOT have legacy level 6 after four months of possible play time? Do you understand what that means?

I would if I could, or have i missed that they changed something aside from the legacy level 6 criteria?

To be honest with you, as casual as you apparently are, I'm shocked you even logged in within a week after the patch and even NOTICED this issue.

If you somehow missed that, and you somehow aren't Legacy level 6, then no, you haven't been here from the start, and if you have, you have done absolutely nothing of significance in this game.

If that is the case, you must have played for like 10 minutes per week.

Of significance? Is it just me, or is the point of a game not to do fun things with your friends? I've been doing a whole lot of significant things *outside* the game, which is why finding time for gaming is not something that happens every week, and I've therefore only reached level 42 and a bunch of alts.

I have however 1) enjoyed slowly playing my way through the story, 2) had an active paying subscription all the way through. I've supported BioWare just as much as you (and if one wants to go into details, actually caused consumed less resources). Why should I pay for you now? which is effectively what is being asked of me.

Dude, how can you NOT have legacy level 6 after four months of possible play time? Do you understand what that means?

That I keep pretty full schedule and what limited free time I have is split among a number of different recreational activities?

I've therefore only reached level 42 and a bunch of alts.

If this statement is true you should have more than enough legacy to receive a free month.

Edit: Have you actually checked in game?

Edited by Nakazia

Of significance? Is it just me, or is the point of a game not to do fun things with your friends? I've been doing a whole lot of significant things *outside* the game, which is why finding time for gaming is not something that happens every week, and I've therefore only reached level 42 and a bunch of alts.

I have however 1) enjoyed slowly playing my way through the story, 2) had an active paying subscription all the way through. I've supported BioWare just as much as you (and if one wants to go into details, actually caused consumed less resources). Why should I pay for you now? which is effectively what is being asked of me.

Tell me, exactly, how does this effect you then?

If I hadn't been granted a free month, would you still be happily enjoying all of the things that you have been up until this point?

And if so, what is it about me receiving a free month for being sleighted and not receiving ranked warzones that negatively impacts your enjoyment of this game?

These are the things that make me wonder, is it just the old "Someone is getting something that I'm not" feeling? Because you're not presenting an argument other than that.

The fact remains that they gave this out due to an incident that would not even effect your gameplay. I don't see why you are so angry about this.

Edited by Celebrus

I play since the preorder was opened and got 1 lvl 50 and just lvl 5 legacy.

Thats nothing unusual as you can see :)

@ topic

Sounds fair to give people time until the 22nd even tho this also means they must pay another month too, as most accounts would run out on the 20th.

Yes, it means that those of us that find ourselves in that position are wasting our money more than anyone else. One might think that Bioware would be appreciative of such. Either way I don't personally need the extra month. Thanks anyway.

Because "I'm" subsidizing you, among other considerations about fair and equal treatment of paying customers? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=412441

The majority of the content added in 1.2 was intended for people with a high legacy level, multiple level 50s, who all take advantage of end game content at max level. The same was the case with 1.1, and the same will continue to be the case for each and every patch they release.

You were subsidizing me to begin with. You were paying for me to have more content than you from day one. You were paying your 15$ so that I could feel that my $15 was well spent.

Not sure why you're getting upset about it now.

Some of the money spent goes toward providing more content, mostly at max level.

Edited by Celebrus

If this statement is true you should have more than enough legacy to receive a free month.

Edit: Have you actually checked in game?

In-game right now. Legacy level 3. This goes from my only (likely) game-time for the next week, reducing the chance that I I'll make the cut :) I don't know if the order in which you activate the legacy level stuff affects things.

I have to commend BW for actually listening to the customers and expanding the free 30 day offer and I for one would like to thank them.

I had my setback a couple of weeks and canceled my recurring sub, still had 120 days left on the current one though. The game was getting stale but I put that down to MMO burnout. TBH this is one of the first MMO's where the dev's seem to be listening and trying to shape the game into what the masses are asking for. Its why I changed my mind when I saw what 1.2 patch was looking to offer and that the devs actually listen.

The rated warzones being delayed to me is a great thing, sure they will add to the game but not if it doesn't work as intended due to the feedback from people on the pts. The devs seem to be learning as they go and its step in the right direction to make the game a success.

I do still feel sorry for those who don't qualify for the 30 days free and have been here since beta/founders. To me these are the most loyal customers so far and should be rewarded regardless of there levels. They have paid money to support the game and keep it growing. Maybe if they added people with Founder title to the list and /or have taking out a 3 or 6 months sub and/or paid upfront with time cards since launch. Something which rewards people who have had faith in BW and have continued to support them and keep there revenue up so that patches like 1.2 can continue to happen.

Because "I'm" subsidizing you, among other considerations about fair and equal treatment of paying customers? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=412441

Just wow,

You will eventually get to that illusive 50 some day with your casual play style I promise.

We are all equal now, free month for everyone who's bothered to play to legacy level 6 even though you didn't face any aggravations that people who had a 50 back in January have.

What do you think everyone's $15.00 a month goes towards in an MMO? Level 50 content and a little fun fluff.

The story and leveling experience don't need too much work at the moment. They're solid.

Chalk me up as another person dissatisfied with the arrangements. I had made a few alts before even unlocking my legacy. I only just started getting Legacy XP because of this.

If this would have been an in-game thing like a pet or ability or social outfit, I would have been fine with not getting it. But this is money. Who doesn't want to save money? I have been paying as long as any of the other paying level 50's or Legacy level 6.

I guess I'm not a loyal enough customer.

I'm not going to threaten to go to another game. I honestly love this game, but I really have lost a lot of faith in the Bioware for making this decision.

An asinine example, in a P2P MMO everyone pays the same only difference some pay for 3 mos, 6 months or a year upfront but you, me and the other guy still all pay $15/mo. This isn't I do more business with Gamestop than the next guy so I get more perks for it. Loyalty and value are gauged by how long one subscribes for consecutively not playstyle and should never be by playstyle. BW saying some guy who got 50 in December then quit until April is somehow most active and most valued is idiocy.

I agree that Loyalty should be gauged by longevity of subscription. I'm hoping they clean up that message and use that word properly in the future.

Most Desired or Highest Value is determined by BioWare, in any way they wish. Most especially, it will be dictated by their chosen business model, and the target demographic they wished to fill their game with the most.

You get a discount for paying in 3 month or 6 month increments, so not everyone pays the same amount.

And it's an MMO, as you acknowledged... and I would think it's pretty obvious that they would have an interest in keeping the game worlds active with frequent players.

I agree the "Just 50" metric was flawed. But they expanded that.

And the idea that the longest subscribers should always get all the perks is also an asinine idea. If another player joined in February and has paid ever since, how are they less valuable than you are, if you leave next month and they hang around for 6 more months?