Why do people think Boba Fett was a bad-*** charater?

Kerensk

But I was thinking about something today. I was thinking when was the last book to come out about Boba Fett that takes place POST ROTJ. I am not sure there are any ones since around 2004-2006. Since Revenge of the Sith everything has shifted to Jango Fett or Pre OT Boba Fett. This isn't by accident.

He had a minor role in Fate of the jedi, most recently being in apocalypse, which came out this year.

But ya. Lucas says he’s dead and I have to accept that, but he is alive in the non G cannon Post RotJ universe/continuity. But really, him stating that nothing post Rotj is canon was just his way of giving the fans that thought the prequels were trash (they were trash btw) a big middle finger. Same with Fett being dead.

Edited by TheBentOne

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a minor role in Fate of the jedi, most recently being in apocalypse, which came out this year.

But ya. Lucas says he’s dead and I have to accept that, but he is alive in the non G cannon Post RotJ universe/continuity. But really, him stating that nothing post Rotj is canon was just his way of giving the fans that thought the prequels were trash (they were trash btw) a big middle finger. Same with Fett being dead.

THANK YOU!!! Yes! That is it exactly, and I am glad someone else sees it!!!! :D

but like I said several times George Lucas has stated SEVERAL TIMES that Boba Fett is dead. Now if George Lucas did come out and say "Yeah boba Fett survives" then I would completely agree with you. However he has never said that not even once.

He has said though "boba fett dies" I don't know how he can be more clear about this. Even in the DVD commentary for ROTJ he says Boba Fett dies. How many times does he have to say Boba Fett dies till people beleive him?

Like I said before if you read the script, the novelization and watch the movie while listening to the commentary it's pretty clear that Boba Fett dies.

No , i get what your saying , but i also see where maul dies , and the movie and novalization says he died , yet GL approves him returning in SWCW , but he never comes out and says so or writes so.

The point is , by GL letting the novals go on with Fett in them , he is allowing Fett to live and saying its ok. He doesn't actually have to come out and say he does , he just has to let it happen. He does have the finial say so in what can and can't be in the books. He's proven that before.

And that interview was before alot of these books were writen about Fett , that was just a comment about Fett's popularity.

Lucas says Fett died in the film. We don't know how it happened, but he did die somehow (neck broken while being eaten, internal bleeding from falling off the hovercraft, barge exploding on top of the Sarlacc, etc??)

Well, Lucas being the creator and owner of the Star Wars franchise kinda means his word is law whether you take him seriously or not.

Sure, you can disregard what the creator says and make up your own SW history, but just remember that your personal fan continuity has nothing to do with what happens in the official SW continuity. Frankly, disregarding official canon makes your opinions completely irrelevant to this debate.

Do you have a link or something from the script where it says he died. And before you get mad , i'm not calling you out , i'd just like to see it. I got 6 kids so not much time to sit here and look it up. If you could , would you please link the novialization quote as per Fett dying like you did with others.

Thanks

short answer because Boba Fett has sold more merchendise then any other character. You don't stop a money train. Of course look how rabid the fans are. George Lucas has said he died and still people don't beleive it.

edit: But I was thinking about something today. I was thinking when was the last book to come out about Boba Fett that takes place POST ROTJ. I am not sure there are any ones since around 2004-2006. Since Revenge of the Sith everything has shifted to Jango Fett or Pre OT Boba Fett. This isn't by accident.

Well this isn't completely true. Han and Chewy were always popular. You couldn't have 1 w/o there other as figures or w/e. Costumes of Chewy sold more than those of Han. I could go on and on. You can't deny that the Han/Chewy combo sold tons for GL

Yet he lets Chewy get killed off. He allows it and that destroys a cash cow also. If he was truely upset about Fett still living in EU , then he'd say "Enough is enough , Fett is dead and leave it that way"

You can't claim he just lets it go on cause its a cash cow , because EVERYTHING in SW is a cash cow , yet he takes things away from the EU or lets them stay.

ok I'll play your silly game again. Lets say you are right and all that is true Lucas said Maul died. (just got home from work so haven't had time to check)

MOST RECENTLY!!!! George Lucas said Darth maul is alive and he is coming back. Thus following the rules of canon that he put fourth Darth Maul lives.

IF George Lucas comes out tomorrow and says "BOBA FETT does NOT die in the Sarlacc Pit" Then guess what? Boba Fett is alive.

You keep coming up with these really weired assumptions about me and how I view the canon. It's kind of funny but in a way it is troubling. Kind of makes me wonder if you have aspergers.

btw I have seen every episode of the Clone wars and I am enjoying them.

The rules are not that hard to follow. If Lucas changes his mind about something then the most recent statement is the one you go by.

For example. Lucas made it so Greedo Shot first. Well OFFICIALLY that is what happened. Now I absolutely HATE that but it's the way the Star Wars universe is.

I'm not going to be like you and act like a child and throw a temper tantrum. I accept it and move on. Yes in my heart I prefer to think that Han Solo shot first as that makes the most sense but OFFICIALLY (which is what we are talking about ) Greedo shot first.

But acording to you guys , only the movies count. GL has even said SWCW is T-Canon , not G-canon , yet GL hisself has a hand in SWCL. You guys yourself are going in circles trying to explain Maul dying , yet coming back , vs Fett dying and possibly coming back.

Well this isn't completely true. Han and Chewy were always popular. You couldn't have 1 w/o there other as figures or w/e. Costumes of Chewy sold more than those of Han. I could go on and on. You can't deny that the Han/Chewy combo sold tons for GL

Yet he lets Chewy get killed off. He allows it and that destroys a cash cow also. If he was truely upset about Fett still living in EU , then he'd say "Enough is enough , Fett is dead and leave it that way"

You can't claim he just lets it go on cause its a cash cow , because EVERYTHING in SW is a cash cow , yet he takes things away from the EU or lets them stay.

Actually, he DOES let it continue because Fett is his #1 cash cow, and he would be stupid to retcon Fett's survival in C-Canon. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fett novels and novels with Fett in them outsell all the other sub-franchises put together. He accounts for somewhere between 70% - 85% of LucasArts' total Expanded Universe profits every year, depending on the year and the source being quoted. That's a pretty big cash cow right there. :)

No , i get what your saying , but i also see where maul dies , and the movie and novalization says he died , yet GL approves him returning in SWCW , but he never comes out and says so or writes so.

The point is , by GL letting the novals go on with Fett in them , he is allowing Fett to live and saying its ok. He doesn't actually have to come out and say he does , he just has to let it happen. He does have the finial say so in what can and can't be in the books. He's proven that before.

And that interview was before alot of these books were writen about Fett , that was just a comment about Fett's popularity.

you don't seem to understand George Lucas is actually invovled with The Clone Wars. It's not like it's some EU thing. His Daughter actually wrote the entire return of Darth Maul episodes. No really go look up his Daughter Katie Lucas on IMDB she has written a bunch of episodes for the Clone wars. She is also the person who is supposed to get control of Star Wars after George dies which might be a good thing since she seems to have tallent for writting Star Wars.

But as you can see that's kind of a different animal then what happened with Fett.

You are wrong about the interviews. It's not 1 interview its a couple of interiviews AND the DVD commentry on the 2008 release. So George Lucas is saying Boba Fett has been for the entire time and is much more recent then the latest post ROTJ Fett story.

And like I said earlier there has been a MAJOR shift in Boba Fett stories. After ROTS they all take place BEFORE the OT now. With the one exception that someone mentioned but I have not read that book. So since 2008 he has said that Boba Fett is dead.

But acording to you guys , only the movies count. GL has even said SWCW is T-Canon , not G-canon , yet GL hisself has a hand in SWCL. You guys yourself are going in circles trying to explain Maul dying , yet coming back , vs Fett dying and possibly coming back.

No dont' be mistaken we never said only G-canon counts. It's as long as it doesn't CONTRADICT G-canon. There is a HUGE difference.

No dont' be mistaken we never said only G-canon counts. It's as long as it doesn't CONTRADICT G-canon. There is a HUGE difference.

how does boba fett living after the sarlac contradict the films? as others have pointed out, you dont' see his funeral, you don't see him lying in a morgue and i don't remember anyone identifying his corpse.

after the battle in the dunes, after jabba is dead and every1 has left tatooine. after the camra's and film crew have packed up their stuff and followed luke and his friends into space, why can't we have boba blowing himself out of the sarlac, using his beat up jetpact with just enough juice left for a desperate last burn, which kills the sarlac and sends boba crashing onto the sand where he lay till he is discovered by another bounty hunter.

you tell me what of that contradicts the rest of the film?

how does boba fett living after the sarlac contradict the films? as others have pointed out, you dont' see his funeral, you don't see him lying in a morgue and i don't remember anyone identifying his corpse.

after the battle in the dunes, after jabba is dead and every1 has left tatooine. after the camra's and film crew have packed up their stuff and followed luke and his friends into space, why can't we have boba blowing himself out of the sarlac, using his beat up jetpact with just enough juice left for a desperate last burn, which kills the sarlac and sends boba crashing onto the sand where he lay till he is discovered by another bounty hunter.

I would be fine with him living...if his living made sense. I mean come on, what are the odds that you are able to talk with someone in a beast that is physiologically linked to it? Then goading him to have the creature constrict on the jetpack sending the person on it flying? But what gets me....is that somehow, the jetpack would be flying straight out with a dangling Boba Fett who had been injected with nuerotoxins unable to move at all. Wouldn't the weight of his body, drag the jetpack around causing him to slam into the walls of the sarlacc?

I would be fine with him living...if his living made sense. I mean come on, what are the odds that you are able to talk with someone in a beast that is physiologically linked to it? Then goading him to have the creature constrict on the jetpack sending the person on it flying? But what gets me....is that somehow, the jetpack would be flying straight out with a dangling Boba Fett who had been injected with nuerotoxins unable to move at all. Wouldn't the weight of his body, drag the jetpack around causing him to slam into the walls of the sarlacc?

lol really. all the stuff i'm guessing you have read in the starwars universe, and this somehow seem too much of a fantasy, ewoks taking over great big walker with nothing more than rocks and spears oo and a hand-glider that drops water bombs. this is fine. but boba fett escaping the sarlac is too much?

lol really. all the stuff i'm guessing you have read in the starwars universe, and this somehow seem too much of a fantasy, ewoks taking over great big walker with nothing more than rocks and spears oo and a hand-glider that drops water bombs. this is fine. but boba fett escaping the sarlac is too much?

Well Chewie was with the two ewoks and helped them take over the AT-ST, so thats not much of a stretch. Its a stretch for him living because the way a sarlacc's body is made. It

1. Injects nuerotoxins within its victims to prevent escape.

2. The victim is strongly embedded into the stomach.

3. Acid fluids eating away at the body over time

Not to mention the tentacles, wouldn't they have just grabbed Boba and pulled him back in? Even if he got out, you'd think the sarlacc would grab him.

All im saying is, that if Boba really had to come back...they could have done it a little better.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

sigh... because the movie, script, novel and george Lucas all say he dies. George even says he dies in the 2008 DVD commentary and the new blu ray commentary.

So that's where it contradicts it.

Like Wolf said his escape doesn't make sense.

Remember

his blaster is destroyed

His jet pack is destroyed

his grapple hook is destroyed

he flew head first into a metal barge

he falls about 20 or 30 feet

also his armor in NO WAY would protect him from the sarlacc

His armor only covers his chest shoulders and head. It's like saying a bullet proof vest and helmet would protect someone from falling in acid.

http://www.baumbach.org/courts/swat.jpg

these guys have just as much protection from the Sarlacc as Boba has.

then you add in the beak that it now has (which was added AFTER the Boba escapes stories) and there is no way he is getting out.

I mean hitting the barge head on is going to give him a concision and probably some major spinal injuries alone. Then he falls 20 or 30 feet so you got some broken bones and maybe internal bleeding.

Now of course if George comes out and says Boba survied then it changes everyhting.

Edited by jarjarloves

Well Chewie was with the two ewoks and helped them take over the AT-ST, so thats not much of a stretch. Its a stretch for him living because the way a sarlacc's body is made. It

1. Injects nuerotoxins within its victims to prevent escape.

2. The victim is strongly embedded into the stomach.

3. Acid fluids eating away at the body over time

Not to mention the tentacles, wouldn't they have just grabbed Boba and pulled him back in? Even if he got out, you'd think the sarlacc would grab him.

i think your missing the whole point there. the fact that it would be impossible, the fact that as you have stated no1 could escape, is the whole reason why boba fett did.

i seem to remember a boba vs batman thread not so long back. where it was pointed out that batman and boba are the same character in a different universes. how many times has batman been in a impossible situation where no normal man could live, but he does. and batman like boba is a normal man. but both of them have a nack for not dying.

but anyway back to your point contradiction boba living does not contradict the rest of the film. you might not like the way the writer makes him escape, (i kinda agree, he should have just used death from above and blown it apart from the inside) but he did escape and he didn't contradict the rest of the film. so by your own admission thats perfectly fine as C-cannon

not that i like the cannon system as you know

i think your missing the whole point there. the fact that it would be impossible, the fact that as you have stated no1 could escape, is the whole reason why boba fett did.

i seem to remember a boba vs batman thread not so long back. where it was pointed out that batman and boba are the same character in a different universes. how many times has batman been in a impossible situation where no normal man could live, but he does. and batman like boba is a normal man. but both of them have a nack for not dying.

but anyway back to your point contradiction boba living does not contradict the rest of the film. you might not like the way the writer makes him escape, (i kinda agree, he should have just used death from above and blown it apart from the inside) but he did escape and he didn't contradict the rest of the film. so by your own admission thats perfectly fine as C-cannon

not that i like the cannon system as you know

Well being fair, Batman really should have died when he fought Darksied.....I mean he did, but then it just turned out to be a clone. Also Jar, where does it says Boba's jetpack was destroyed? I know his blaster and whip cord was, but the way Han hit his jetpack it didn't seem to be one of those "destroing" blows.

sigh... because the movie, script, novel and george Lucas all say he dies. George even says he dies in the 2008 DVD commentary and the new blu ray commentary.

going to ignore the part about it not being possible for boba to escape, because in a made up fantasy universe. who are you to say what is possible.

i'll respond to this line tho

if george told me it was raining, i would have to go to the window and check for myself.

I just noticed something from the battle, Han hits his jetpack and he is sent flying head first. But when he hits the barge its on his side. When he falls though on the sand, you can hear bones cracking(legs). Or at least what sounds like it, when he lands. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I just noticed something from the battle, Han hits his jetpack and he is sent flying head first. But when he hits the barge its on his side. When he falls though on the sand, you can hear bones cracking(legs). Or at least what sounds like it, when he lands.

I just heard the sound of sand falling , And by the way it looks he hit his side when he fell to the sand.

Edited by ToEasy

I don't get it

Clearly. Let us analyze. First, Boba Fett is Darth Vader. Sound strange? Boba Fett is what Darth Vader was originally going to be, a bounty hunter. His armor is based on early Ralph Mcquarrie art work for Darth Vader's armor.

Next. Boba Fett looks cool, so he immediately drew attention to kids like me, because next to Darth Vader himself, nobody looked as cool.

Now, I understand that kids these days need a lot of pew pew to feed their ritalin addled Attention Deficit disorder brains, but back in 1980, a character could be established as a bad a** without needing to be hyper cgi'd. So, when do we first see Boba Fett, well we see him in the holidy special and at parades in southern California prior to the release of Empire Strikes Back, but we'll stick to the films.

Boba Fett, like all the bounty hunters shows up on a Star Destroyer bridge, as Vader, unable to capture a smuggler alone with the might of the Imperial Fleet is seeking outside assistance from free lance mercenaries. As Darth Vader outlines the details of their employment, who is the only operative addressed personally? You already know the answer, it's our hero Boba Fett.

What does Darth Vader, second in command of the Empire say to this "lame" character? "And no disintegrations." To which Fett sighs a resigned "As you wish." This implies that Fett had been in the employ of the Empire, and probably Vader himself, enough that Vader had intimate knowledge of Fett's Modus Operandi when dealing with problems. He was a re-hire of Darth Vader, which means he was most likely exceptional at his job.

Now, in the course of five minutes of film time, Boba Fett does what Darth Vader and the entire Imperial fleet could not. He identifies Han Solo's location and tracks him. Had Vader not issued the order to capture them alive, Fett might have just destroyed the Milenium Falcon right there and given Solo's vaccum exposed corpse to Vader.

So, now we are on Cloud City. Fett, who probably has better things to do, has to hang around Vader so that he can get Solo and take him to Jabba, but Vader has to unleash his elaborate plan to get Luke, so Fett is basically stuck losing money while he hangs around cloud city. Then we come to the point at which Vader decides to test the carbon freeze chamber on Solo. Fett says, "He's no good to me dead." And Vader replies, "The Empire will compensate you if he dies." The Empire will compensate you? What? Who does Vader EVER allow that kind of familiarity. Not to Lando, whom had betrayed his friends to the Empire. To him he says "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

So, we've established in very little on screen time that this is a seriously professional operator, with ties to Darth Vader himself. In any other movie, this would be enough to establish a pedigree of bada**ery. Which is exactly what it does for 3 years. And this makes king Georgie very grumpy. Nobody elevates bit characters above his beloved main characters. So, in Return of the Jedi, George visits upon Boba Fett not only death, but a humiliating death that would attempt to quell fan respect for him. It failed. It failed badly and the fans cried out.

Later, as he is writing the prequels with an IHOP place mat and some crayons, he decides he needs that level of cool again, and so he remakes Boba Fett as his father and calls him Jango, then stomps into the dirt 20 years of Boba Fett and Mandalorian canon. Something he would do again 10 years later by having his hippie pal Dave Filoni do it in the Clone Wars by turning the Mandalorians into pacifists with terrorist regressives as their obstacle to perfect utopian neutrality.

Edited by Rikalonius

This is not aimed at you, BentOne, but I chose to pick your post to make the comment. I'm fine with Fett being dead so long as everyone else is fine with no Thrawn, no Mara Jade, no Skywalker legacy, not Leia and Han marraige. None of it, because Lucas stated that none of it was how he would have written it and he doesn't recognize anything after ROTJ as canon.

Edited by Rikalonius

if george told me it was raining, i would have to go to the window and check for myself.

^This right here. You sir, just said a mouthful.

George Lucas has lied so much he makes Pinocchio look honest. And to hell with his "certain point of view" garbage. He has out and out lied through his teeth about the movie scripts, Luke and Leia, and other stupid stuff that most decent writers would have caught really quick and corrected. My theory about the latest re-releases is that he did them as a HUGE middle finger to the fans who all said the OT was better than the Prequels. Remember, most of the stuff he did to retcon himself was AFTER the Prequels came out.

1. Boba Fett being dead. (Just to piss off the fans)

RETCONS and other garbage.

2. Han shot last. (made all fans who had been around long enough to remember how it really was go "waitwhat???")

3. Added fluff scenes in Jabba's palace. (completely unnecessary and showed nothing more than an attempt to extend the movie)

4. Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!" at the end of the remade RotJ. (made quite a few fans /facepalm at the stupidity of it all)

5. Hayden Christensen at the end in the last scene of RotJ. (a slap in the face of all OT fans and basically the biggest middle finger of all. Not just to the fans, but to the actor who originally played him in the REAL RotJ)

Here is a question we should all ask ourselves: Would YOU trust someone who lies and backpedals as much as George Lucas?