New gen of gamers

onisakura

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Older Gamers are still here and enjoy the game. We are the ones that don't say much, and ignore all the QQ threads. Only because we know, games take time to become polished. I have been playing MMORPG's since beta EverQuest. You may have to look for us, but we are still around.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we were also computer gamers (ie. neeeerds) who came from MUD backgrounds, understood what coding was, and had a clear idea of what was actually involved in creating and operating an mmo. We hadn't been spoon-fed "THIS IS THE GREATEST MMO OF ALL TIME!", not by a long shot. And frankly, we were happy with what we got... because no one had ever gotten it before.

We were blown away by simple things like DAoC's RvR system, which was really just a bunch of people taking a world objective and loling about it. Christ, Meridian 59 got me hooked right away because I could actually kill other people (omg... wut?). It was novel... new... nothing like it... "This is so cool".

Now everyone expects the greatest experience of their lives because that is how games are packaged - the latest, the greatest, and the big letdowns ensue. But not for us old timers... just the new guys who can't understand why it isn't all working perfected from the start.

It's like drugs or any other addiction... start of with something mild (I won't use marijuana b/c I don't believe in the whole gateway drug bullsh*t they used to feed us)... anyway.... after a while that wears off and now you are looking for that thrill you got when you first started... so you demand a harder and faster fix....

But, I completely agree with this whole thread. I grew up with an Atari, NES, etc... I didn't break into online gaming, aside from multiplayer Unreal Tournament, until I started playing EverQuest. Now, that game had me hooked... and hard.... The summer after I graduated, I was a bum living with my parents before going to college, I went from level 45-46 in one sitting. It took me 28 hours of non-stop grinding in Dreadlands.

If an MMO today were to require that much of a time sink just to gain 1 level the community would be outraged. But, we all did it back then because we didn't know anything other than that.

Oh, and just for nostalgic reasons, who else remembers the day when you could "meditate" without looking at your damn spell book... Happiest day of my EverQuest career. Oh, and /gems anyone? :p

Rose tinted glasses.

Lol not at all. The gaming community used to be one of the most inclusive, social, helpful bunch of people around. People would go out of their way to help their fellow gamers because they knew we all shared a passion for gaming.

Nowadays gaming is filled with hyperagressive, ignorant, self absorbed, whiny punks who find little in the game besides a way to put others down and pretend they are big deals for clearing some video game content faster than someone else.

Then again real life is similar in a lot of ways.

I started playing online with Realm. Anyone remember that game? Then beta for eq...that was one tough game..but it was exciting..and I am one that still loves to adventure and explore. Seems this game has you on a tread mill and working so hard you forget to stop and smell the roses. But I am still going to try to get all the best out of it that I can.

SWIMMING underwater so I can explore the vast depths of this game would be fun too!!

Swimming please!!!!

Rose tinted glasses.

Respectfully, I disagree. I've been there at the launch of WoW, the game with possibly second worst launch of all MMOs, through the first weeks and months when server crashes were common, queues were in the thousands, capital cities were lagfests, bugs were everywhere - and yet, my fondest memories of the game are from those times. Why? I think partially it's what WoW did to MMO community - it brought into these games people who do not really want to play an MMO, the mainstream who wanted to see what the fuss is about and that believe they are entitled to everything.

Those of us who played WoW for years could clearly see the worsening of the community. We bonded even with players of the opposite side in vanilla, knew the enemy teams and respected them, grew closer throughout TBC, yet in WotLK fell apart. Part of the reason was the dungeon finder. While great for finding dungeons, players were no longer likely to meet again, which seems to have triggered arrogance, self-entitlement and the most basic of negative emotions. Tank rushed in, if the pull didn't go well, he'd leave without words, knowing that he'll be able to requeue immediately; people would ninja items and play like crap, knowing that noone will hold them responsible. By the time I left, it was pretty much "every man for himself", a shadow of the game's former self.

That's why, for all it's good, I dislike cross-server dungeon finders. While I'm certain TOR will get one eventually, I am not one to hope it comes soon - I've seen it cause far too much harm for something like that.

Why back in my day we had to hand crank our computers just to get them to start and 'online' was what we said the birds were doing sitting out on the telephone wires. *curses young people under breath*

I'll just leave this here.

I did play the older games like everquest, and tried out many others as well.

All of them had major issues in some way that made them a painful experience compared to something like WOW that really had the smoothest animation and quest lines

Most people can't be objective - you only have to see how people vote to know that - it's a totally emotional issue for them

The next modern game to have smooth animations and questing all the way was Rift

This game has the best story lines and certainly very smooth animations and quest lines

There are many players in SWTOR who are enjoying exploring, playing different classes and following the quest lines

I do have two level 50s and I am at present looking around how to gear up and get into ops - it's going to be pretty hard for me until I can transfer to the Aussie servers as there are not many on at my times

I'm going to have to go with the OP on this one. I'm tired of the new generation of LOSERS who have no life, rushing to be the first max level, and then complaining about content. Sit down little boy and play the game. There's no reward for doing that, I know that and so does every other veteran of MMO's. Yet, you minimum wage trolls are getting the free month. LOL, same people I pay my taxes to so you can get free health care and food in the fridge. Nice. I love America. Edited by arbehrends

Every generation says that the next one is worst or rotten, idk i guess its just easy to see a whiny little kid and blame it on the generation. Maybe theres just more people? I mean these MMO's back in the day were a bit smaller and therefore could have a more tight nit community. And it was kinda like a special deal to play an MMO because you loved that game and besides the people you played with like no one knew what it was really and it was special. But now that MMO's are getting huge and all ages are playing them you are seeing a more diverse population.

Before this game i was an xbox fan for life growing up on Halo and gears, and I can say that generally everyone is the same over there, theres nice people and theres douche bags and it seems totally random. And you can hardly even notice that there is jerks in this game, its just these forums are kinda brutal.

First off, I truly feel gaming has gone downhill. These new breed of gamers nolonger enjoy the game. They feel compelled to run thru it to end game as fast as possible then complain and ask for dlc/new content. I remember a time back when you played a game to escape reality to get into the world. Back when no one knew what a "dlc" was. When you could play a single game for months/years.

2nd I never understood why people who constantly state they are bored just don't simply do something else instead of sit idle and moan how they feel. Or the ones that aren't truly into a series like Star Wars. Given the time it took for this game to be released and all the times it got pushed back. To truly say you covered everything the star wars universe has to offer takes time. Gamers are nolonger patient.

3rd there is no need to compare games as diff as SWOTR vs WoW. To me it would be like comparing zombies at emy neighbors to resident evil. Is it not ok to like multiple games without feeling the need to outright say this one is superior. Everyone has an opinion. But this new gen of gamers scares me full of trolls and firstfaqs.

Bring back the original gamers, the ones that lived to explore, to play, to live diff worlds diff experiences!!!

You see what you want to see.

For every speed leveler there's another that likes to explore. Just open your eyes.

And for every "original gamer" that likes to explore there are those that want to get right to the end game.

Frankly I'm wondering how to classify you as you just as obnoxious as those you seem to hate.

I'd suggest watching the Twighlight Zone episode with the man who arranged to have all the evil people in the world shrunk into an insignificant size so all the "good" people would be left normal. Yeah, you can probably guess the result and he wasn't very happy.

It's the epic struggle between PvE'ers and PvP'ers. PvE'ers want content and story, PvP'ers want to rush past the story and get to max level as quick as possible in order to start farming the best PvP gear.

It's not necessarily a generational thing (unless PvE'ers tend to be older and PvP'ers tend to be younger)

I would say that this is generally true, that PVP gamers are usually younger and PVE gamers are usually older. Obviously there are tons of exceptions so dont come at me with "but im 45 and i only pvp"

When your younger you generally have a more competitive nature towards others anyways IMO. I think its fairly common for people to calm down on their competitive nature as they grow up but it certainly isnt always the case. Their is certainly a competitive nature among the top end of PVE as well, and with damage meters and such it adds another competitive side to PVE MMO's that allow such features/addons.

Id say its fairly safe to say that the PVE crowd is generally an older crowd.

Respectfully, I disagree. I've been there at the launch of WoW, the game with possibly second worst launch of all MMOs, through the first weeks and months when server crashes were common, queues were in the thousands, capital cities were lagfests, bugs were everywhere - and yet, my fondest memories of the game are from those times. Why? I think partially it's what WoW did to MMO community - it brought into these games people who do not really want to play an MMO, the mainstream who wanted to see what the fuss is about and that believe they are entitled to everything.

Those of us who played WoW for years could clearly see the worsening of the community. We bonded even with players of the opposite side in vanilla, knew the enemy teams and respected them, grew closer throughout TBC, yet in WotLK fell apart. Part of the reason was the dungeon finder. While great for finding dungeons, players were no longer likely to meet again, which seems to have triggered arrogance, self-entitlement and the most basic of negative emotions. Tank rushed in, if the pull didn't go well, he'd leave without words, knowing that he'll be able to requeue immediately; people would ninja items and play like crap, knowing that noone will hold them responsible. By the time I left, it was pretty much "every man for himself", a shadow of the game's former self.

Good times...I still remember myself on World of Warcraft, during the vanilla PvP system, deleting my Alliance chars to roll Horde and join the best Horde PvP guild on my server because mine (the Alliance best PvP guild) has disbanded, and because i knew them.

Only God knows how many matches i played against them, and we respected eachother!

And i don't even want to start talking about SWG...the days where you just hanged out in Coronet just to talk with the people you knew, and having a blast with them. Tears are covering my eyes.

I LOVE PHANTASY STAR. The first one was light years ahead of anything that was put out on the NES.

They were all great! Except the third one. No one likes that one :jawa_tongue:

Yeah the third one was a bit weird with monsters and their magic system is the worst I've seen in any game (almost all techniques were useless) but some monsters were great for laughs. My favorite ending was the one where they visited Earth, probably preventing the events from PSII from ever happening (because Earth people ultimately caused them) and Parma exists in that timeline.

As for the NES the first Final Fantasy had class promotion, a submarine, and an ancient spacestation which are really cool :-) The wind orb level was my favorite because of its sci-fi setting with warmech and advanced technology.

I've always wanted to try the first Phantasy Star and I've seen Youtube videos of the remake :)

Older Gamers are still here and enjoy the game. We are the ones that don't say much, and ignore all the QQ threads. Only because we know, games take time to become polished. I have been playing MMORPG's since beta EverQuest. You may have to look for us, but we are still around.

Well said. Gaming since the late 80's and I have the ability to form my own thoughts without the need for support or acceptance. I can also just 'move on' without hissy-fitting about it first.

Lost of old-school gamers still game. We're just quieter.