We know it was broken this morning but why?

Midumass

Why were there no patch notes about the reason behind this morning's downtime? What necessitated the servers to be brought down in the first place? I mean, was it a REAL reason, like something game breaking, or was it something stupid that could have (and obviously should have, if that is the case) waited until a proper patch day?

1.2.0a Patch Notes

4/13/2012

General

Addressed an issue that could prevent characters from being deleted.

Made improvements to the CS ticketing system.

That just this shouldn't be 119MB should be self-explanatory I think, so I was kinda suspicious from the start

1.2.0a Patch Notes

4/13/2012

General

Addressed an issue that could prevent characters from being deleted.

Made improvements to the CS ticketing system.

That just this shouldn't be 119MB should be self-explanatory I think, so I was kinda suspicious from the start

I swear I didn't download anything after logging in this morning. I was sitting on server select from the time the servers went down to when hey came back up. Background downloaded perhaps, and I couldn't find the patch notes either >< User fail.

Why do end users always ask IT people for technical explanations the average person wouldn't understand anyway? All any end user needs to know is something is broken and they are fixing it. You're just looking for something specific to complain about which is pointless.

I bet it was a disgruntled employee.

Who probably played a Commando :p

Why do end users always ask IT people for technical explanations the average person wouldn't understand anyway? All any end user needs to know is something is broken and they are fixing it. You're just looking for something specific to complain about which is pointless.

Uh, well maybe those of us who WOULD understand would like to know too?

Edited by Achromatis

Timeline goes something like this:

1. They deliver 1.2

2. They discover some things that are newly broken in 1.2 and other things they said they'd fixed in 1.2. but didn't ("can now add offline friends," my eye). So they roll out a fast 1.2 patch that does not list most of what it actually does, hoping no one will notice.

3. They then discover that because someone wasn't patching the same baseline as everyone else, and checked in some code that was based on an earlier (non 1.2) version*, that they have really screwed the pooch and now parts of the game world are showing pre 1.2 content.

4. They have to restore world data from a database backup and this takes five thousand years.

5. Players in the know shake their heads in dismay and sadness at BioWare making such a rookie mistake.

* This is just a personal theory but it's the only explanation other than malice/deliberate sabotage I find remotely plausible.

I love ya, BioWare, but this is slipshod.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.