Homogenized pvp stat fix

Strixs

honestly with all the frustrations that comes from the grinding of gear in pvp. The grinding of Comms, set bonuses, and mods and so on and so forth.

Why cant we just Homogenize pvp stats...

Simply upon entering a pvp world or zone. Everyone who is 50 has their Stats adjusted to the appropriate lvl and we are all equal.

Equal ground, equal footing, equal chance of winning 1 on 1 or team on team.

There would no longer be a need to qq about gear differences being so drastic.

No more sadface mods and set bonuses not working.

We would all just be able to enjoy pvp for the purest purpose, to Player vs Player.

And Gain fluffy stuff like ships / mounts / pets / designer clothes / party favors / So on and so forth.

No longer feel like you have to grind or feeling of winning is everything and losing means you should just leave. It is all just for the sake of your side be it rep or imp and for yourself. And most importantly wear what you want. Wear nothing. Wear ship comm gear. Wear anything it don't matter put a dress on!

Can't find the quote but it is true you.

If you enjoy something just because its fun.... Then later you put a reward/gains for it. It stops becoming fun and your focus is now the grind for gear rather then why you started just for giggles.

That is why most of us enjoy WZ's 1-49 leaps and bounds over lv50 WZ's. Its more about just having fun doing some dailies and chilling.

Edited by Strixs
Edits choice award?

I just do not get why we put ourselves in a gerbil wheel and keep running to gain gear.

Do we all really want another WoW experience of get our arena gear... then the next season is here.. okay do it again? Seriously? I don't id rather them work on other types of content then gear. like Warzone design / World pvp Design / pve dailie design.

Content like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=388021

Why "don't" we homogenize it so that the dev's have a easier time balancing.

And at the same time the PVE geared out community cannot effect the pvp population.

Because all our stats are set at a certain number based on our class and maybe even further customized to our spec if possible whatever.

it works and i do not understand why only Guildwars 1 has done this with there PVP pack.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not understand why no one considers this a reasonable idea and i have no responses.

Many games are successful in pvp because of these qualities. While i played guild wars I had a enjoyable time because once we were all maxed it was simply a question of better coordination and spell combination on the player and their team. This can also be applied to a lot of our favorite FPS's CoD / BF / Counter strike. Sure you can have different weapons and perks and so forth for different situations.((which is basically the same as having different classes with Star Wars weapons/talent trees)) But in the end you still all have the same chance because you have the same amount of HP and so forth.

One of my greatest pvp experiences for Star Wars was actually not in this game at all. It was in Battlefront 1 / 2 and Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith / jed knight games. if you don't know these games 2 are FPS's for SW's and the other is a RPG.** I would play these games forever for the pvp even though there was never any gear or status rewards. Simply because the pvp was fun**. Everyone had a chance to roflstomp someone else. It was very homogenized and Especially in Battlefront you could snipe a jedi/sith in the head and feel amazing. Whilst also in Mystery of the sith you could have ""Gunz**"" like battle

Without the need of pvp stats and gear, it is no longer a question of you or I getting beat because of gear issues. it is simply a matter of you or I are not good enough, quick enough, or there is an actual balance issue between classes which is for the norm unlikely. Not that balance issues cant be a culprit at times. it is however more unlikely. But it would certainly be easier on the developers if they had everyone in pvp having balanced stats and gear so that they could better assess. Is this class vs this class truly out of balance.

** here is a nice thread explaining why rewards make pvp a grind which in turn make pvp frustrating and annoying.

And why Gear in pvp is really quite silly.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=397242

**Gunz is a fast paced, Hack and slash, korean small arms combat game based on fast lightning movements with swords daggers and guns. Very much a Shooter cross between a ninja gaidan game.

Edited by Strixs

It's a matter of taste if people want this even playfield you suggest or if they want PVP progression. I'm not stumbling in this silly trap of discussing subjective tastes during what too many people (including you) risk making their taste sound like the ultimate one.

SWToR has PVP gear progression and given how the system is designed I can safely assume that they won't change that in the near future and most likely never at all. If that ruins PVP for you then you will either have to settle with the other content or move on to another game.

It's a matter of taste if people want this even playfield you suggest or if they want PVP progression. I'm not stumbling in this silly trap of discussing subjective tastes during what too many people (including you) risk making their taste sound like the ultimate one.

SWToR has PVP gear progression and given how the system is designed I can safely assume that they won't change that in the near future and most likely never at all. If that ruins PVP for you then you will either have to settle with the other content or move on to another game.

This.

People who enjoy RPG games, usually enjoy gear progression as well.

It's simple. They need to give you a reason to log on -- an incentive in order to keep playing and paying your monthly subscription. Getting gear is a sense of accomplishment knowing that your hard work paid off. It shouldn't be handed to you for free because it takes away the challenge.

pvp can have progression without it being based on gear.

Taste? well then it tastes very bitter indeed for most.

If you consider this PVP genre progress or having progression then you are sorely mistaken. By Defining the word progression it means: favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are

What we have now is actually a lack of progression in MMO mechanics. Because EQ had it, WoW has it, Rift has it. it is just a continual grind for the next best thing to be able to destroy anyone else quicker simply because you have happened to receive better stats because of your equipped gear.

So in essense Star Wars has chosen a stale path in pvp. Stale in that is is unchanged in its mechanics that are being used in several other games of the same genre.

While this doesn't necessarily ruin PVP for me. It certainly makes it less enjoyable then it could potentially be for me as well as a large number of the community. its hard to find a pvp player who hasn't at one time or another complained about how he has been beaten simply because of a min/max issue by someone who has gotten better gear or is a PVE'er who Crossed his PVE gear with PVP gear to have a better stats overall.

If 1 player has 4 50's now and has just gotten his 4 lv50 to max after a total of /played 7 days because he took his time to enjoy the pve content and play constantly lv10-49pvp matches because he enjoyed it. While another lvl 50 player who had reached lv 50 in 3 /played days because he didnt want to take his time. But is also now at a total of 7 /played days. it is silly that the person who has just played more at the lvl 50, level automatically can and will be destroy the other player simply because of a gear issue because he had a longer time of accumulating the gear at lvl 50. while they both have the same amount of time played.

It boils down to the fact people still need some form of progression. Personally i think a persistent scoreboard would do wonders. I doubt this will happen because it means bad players will be outed right off also and nobody likes everyone knowing how bad they are, only how good. An Achievement system might also do very well but then you get people wanting actual rewards that affect the game not just a Gold Star next there their name. You cant please everyone though so they have to go with the option which pleases the most people, and while I don't know for sure that is gear progression is most popular, I would think that's what most want since even with the hundreds and hundreds of threads, such as this one, there is still no hint that they are even considering any other option. Edited by Daraco

The problem with homogenizing stats to "appropriate" levels is that this will create further class imbalances since what is "appropriate" will not work for a lot of skill trees, global changes are not "intelligent" they do not react to classes and gear, the <50 bracket illustrates this if you understand how the bolster system works you can make some classes severely imbalanced.

Expertise is actually a means of homogenization that takes your other stats and class into account (at least a bit).

Also streamlining ACs is bad for games, there should be some variation possible even in the same skill tree that makes players "unique", that other game did this wrong and produced generic specimens of each class with next to no choices and it "sucked".

A stat variation is necessary to support the spec variations.

Well the gear progression and the grind for a magic stat seems to be working well as the time between matches increases and we can only find matches during certain times on our servers.

So what was that about keeping people on a wheel so they continue to pay a sub?

Ill lump this together because it applies to both.

It's simple. They need to give you a reason to log on -- an incentive in order to keep playing and paying your monthly subscription. Getting gear is a sense of accomplishment knowing that your hard work paid off. It shouldn't be handed to you for free because it takes away the challenge.

People who enjoy RPG games, usually enjoy gear progression as well.

You should read what you both have written to be honest. I am shocked myself personally. You both Focus on gear like it is the reason you play a game? Like that is the best incentive you can receive? and you consider that to be the most enjoyable part?

Please look at this post http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=397242

I have played MMO's since i was 11 yrs old. Through out my life i have usually been playing 20-40 hours a week on games till i became an adult.

i started out on Everquest and i played my fair share of Counterstrike and Battlefield.

I have never considered **gear** my ultimate goal as my reward for me playing. I played simply because i enjoyed the game. Whether its mechanics / play style / Story line. These are the reasons people play these games like TOR.

If it was really all about Gear gear gear. A lot of people would not play this game and others. They Would and could just Play Sandbox games where they can just create their own gear and then they'd be happy.

Fun has always trumped everything else at least for me. Never feeling like something was a grind was the most fun of all. If you can play for hours and hours and not consider this work or a grind, or when you get up feeling like you just got on... That is a fun game.

It boils down to the fact people still need some form of progression. Personally i think a persistent scoreboard would do wonders. I doubt this will happen because it means bad players will be outed right off also and nobody likes everyone knowing how bad they are, only how good. An Achievement system might also do very well but then you get people wanting actual rewards that affect the game not just a Gold Star next there their name. You cant please everyone though so they have to go with the option which pleases the most people, and while I don't know for sure that is gear progression is most popular, I would think that's what most want since even with the hundreds and hundreds of threads, such as this one, there is still no hint that they are even considering any other option.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=388021

This is my 2 cents about continued progression in a game.

Progression should be favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform.

Improving upon the game and its mechanics and story line as well is community is what will make it shine imho.

And there is nothing wrong with an achievement system such as what you are talking about it.

City of heroes had a Posted Board in each sector where you could see who did the most healing / dmg and took the most dmg on a daily / weekly basis. It was cool.

And So does Battlefield 2 / 3 / 2142. Statistics are up on who does the most head shots and knifes and plays the most kits. And all those people who enjoy those games are happy enough with that. And i enjoyed it myself.

The problem with homogenizing stats to "appropriate" levels is that this will create further class imbalances since what is "appropriate" will not work for a lot of skill trees, global changes are not "intelligent" they do not react to classes and gear, the <50 bracket illustrates this if you understand how the bolster system works you can make some classes severely imbalanced.

Expertise is actually a means of homogenization that takes your other stats and class into account (at least a bit).

Also streamlining ACs is bad for games, there should be some variation possible even in the same skill tree that makes players "unique", that other game did this wrong and produced generic specimens of each class with next to no choices and it "sucked".

A stat variation is necessary to support the spec variations.

How is it going to create further class imbalances. That does not make sense when it has and still works very well for the lvl 10-49 bracket. That is proof that it is a working mechanic that people have and still enjoy in TOR.

Again the 10-49 bracket continues to contradict what you are saying. Global changes do work for pvp. If gear is not a issue. There are actually less Issues. That is what makes 10-49 so much fun.

Expertise cannot homogenize anything when everyone does not even have a equal amount of it to make it viable. because it depends on the gear Tier you have.

There is of course a variation in skills. its called classes / Ranged vs melee / Talent trees. that is all the difference that there really is anyways if you get a 8 vs 8 group with all BM gear fighting one another. ........

A Stat Variation is not necessary at all in fact. Because all the Top Arena teams in WoW have the same cookie cutter gear and it works.((even though u have to grind mindless to get it)) Same for Guild wars... all the same stats and gear and often the same exact cookie cutter skills.

If a stat variation was truly necessary then they could not allow a full group of 8 Battlemaster geared people to fight a full 8 man group of battlemaster geared people because you just said they need a stat variation to play against one another....

And there is no reason to say they cant have your Bolster stats work off of your chosen spec in one way or another.

Edited by Strixs

gear is a progression you can see every time you log on. if i wanted to play just for the satisfaction of beating another player i would play call of duty (which i sometimes do). those kinds of games hold no long term interest for me, i can play fps games for an hour here and an hour there, but i lose interest quickly. MMO's like this game hold my interest for a longer period, if there wasent a progression that i could visibly see, i simply would not play.

i also have zero interest in fluff items, playing for that also would not hold my interest. you may not like it, but gear progression is the way this game works, and i cant foresee it changing, and if it did i would stop playing.

gear is a progression you can see every time you log on. if i wanted to play just for the satisfaction of beating another player i would play call of duty (which i sometimes do). those kinds of games hold no long term interest for me, i can play fps games for an hour here and an hour there, but i lose interest quickly. MMO's like this game hold my interest for a longer period, if there wasent a progression that i could visibly see, i simply would not play.

i also have zero interest in fluff items, playing for that also would not hold my interest. you may not like it, but gear progression is the way this game works, and i cant foresee it changing, and if it did i would stop playing.

to say you don't like fluff items but at the same time you play for gear is a contradiction. As gear is a fluff. it is a status symbol and a hey look what i did badge. If all the gear looked the same but at different stats from tiers you would not play. because that would be boring.

I am not asking them to take away gear as a whole. No you can still get your Gear your look and your fanciness on with pretty colors and your choice of design and style. And making Pvp still worth something. By only allowing those select few who are good to achieve the gear look/style they want. maybe ships they want and so forth. No one said to take that out.

But just Homogenize The stats upon entering ""PVP"" i am not talking about Pve gear that is something different. This way no matter what you are or who you are or what you play or how often or how little you play. You have just as much a chance through quickness, dexterity, and coordination. You can and will defeat and destroy your opponent in Player vs Player.

Why shouldn't I be able to choose to stack power, or surge, or crit, or a combination of the 3 in my gear, customizing it to the way I play my character?

Even just comparing between myself and 2 other level 50 snipers i see quite often in warzones, we definitely don't all have the same stats. Some of it is because of choosing to use some non-pvp gear, or choosing to get a piece of gear in a different order, choosing a field medic vs enforcer implant, etc.

Clearly people have different ideas of what stats their character should have, so I'm curious how you choose who is "right" in order to homogenize the stats. (I'm assuming it would be done by class, because it would be silly for my sniper to have the same health/defenses as a heavy armor tanking character, etc).

to say you don't like fluff items but at the same time you play for gear is a contradiction. As gear is a fluff. it is a status symbol and a hey look what i did badge. If all the gear looked the same but at different stats from tiers you would not play. because that would be boring.

I am not asking them to take away gear as a whole. No you can still get your Gear your look and your fanciness on with pretty colors and your choice of design and style. And making Pvp still worth something. By only allowing those select few who are good to achieve the gear look/style they want. maybe ships they want and so forth. No one said to take that out.

But just Homogenize The stats upon entering ""PVP"" i am not talking about Pve gear that is something different. This way no matter what you are or who you are or what you play or how often or how little you play. You have just as much a chance through quickness, dexterity, and coordination. You can and will defeat and destroy your opponent in Player vs Player.

gear is not fluff. fluff has no in game use. its there simply for show. all gear COULD look the same for all i care, all gear could be big black splotches and it would not bother me. its the increases the stats on the gear represent that i want, the ability to do more dps, better healing, take more damage that i go after. i like the journey of starting out weak and working my way to becoming strong, and this is represented via stats you get from gear.

if i logged on, played for 3 hours, and had moved no further foward, id think to myself, what is the point, and stop playing.

The vast, gaping hole that proponents of this argument always fail to address completely invalidates their whole argument.

If you don't want rewards for pvp, and you think that the playerbase agrees with you, then go to the outlaws den or ilum and have at it. (FUN FACT: My guild had a 2v2 tournament there last night.)

There's no rewards there. So what's holding you back from this PvP utopia? Mounts? Hats? I thought you wanted to pvp just for the pvp? SO GO DO IT. Truth is, if lots of people wanted to do this, they could have already organized a recruit-gear ilum league. But they didn't. Instead they ***** and moan that somebody else killed them with better gear.

You can call it a treadmill, I call it a race. It's a race whereby the greatest pvpers rise to the top. And then it resets, and the next seasons greatest rise to the top again. I enjoy this. If you don't, you're welcome to head to ilum, but STOP TELLING ME I HAVE TO PLAY YOUR GAME.

Edited by Ahhmyface

How is it going to create further class imbalances. That does not make sense when it has and still works very well for the lvl 10-49 bracket. That is proof that it is a working mechanic that people have and still enjoy in TOR.

Again the 10-49 bracket continues to contradict what you are saying. Global changes do work for pvp. If gear is not a issue. There are actually less Issues. That is what makes 10-49 so much fun.

Expertise cannot homogenize anything when everyone does not even have a equal amount of it to make it viable. because it depends on the gear Tier you have.

There is of course a variation in skills. its called classes / Ranged vs melee / Talent trees. that is all the difference that there really is anyways if you get a 8 vs 8 group with all BM gear fighting one another. ........

A Stat Variation is not necessary at all in fact. Because all the Top Arena teams in WoW have the same cookie cutter gear and it works.((even though u have to grind mindless to get it)) Same for Guild wars... all the same stats and gear and often the same exact cookie cutter skills.

If a stat variation was truly necessary then they could not allow a full group of 8 Battlemaster geared people to fight a full 8 man group of battlemaster geared people because you just said they need a stat variation to play against one another....

And there is no reason to say they cant have your Bolster stats work off of your chosen spec in one way or another.

The <50 bracket is totally imbalanced, gear is much more important as well as what class you play, the differences I can create there with gear on certain classes with absolute disregard off char lvl are far beyond anything that can be done at lvl 50.

2 premades with full battlemaster gear as it comes of the shelf will favor certain classes and specs gear and stat variation is needed to level that out. And if you look at the bm gear it has different secondary stats for different classes, you can not just homogenize that with a global mechanic it would have to be mechanic that takes class spec etc. into account which actually will bring you back to the exact point where we are now.

(edit) regarding your arguments with wow the stat gear aspect of that game is really bad if you do not see that, sorry.

GW2 dumps down the gameplay to 10 buttons, great concept NOT.

But you my still play those games, just be nice a leave us something different to chose.

Edited by Bazzoong

Quote: Originally Posted by Subatomix

In any game or contest ...

When you are awarded a statistical advantage over another player...

To create an unequal playing field...

No matter what the reason...

That's called a handicap.

Call it what it is folks. Jedi should speak the truth.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bazzoong

Spot on, access to all gear for everyone as soon as they ding lvl50, gear acquired this way will only be usable in wz-pvp. Everyone will have the same tools this way and no handicap whatsoever, and pve will not be affected.

Quote: Originally Posted by Subatomix

In any game or contest ...

When you are awarded a statistical advantage over another player...

To create an unequal playing field...

No matter what the reason...

That's called a handicap.

Call it what it is folks. Jedi should speak the truth.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bazzoong

Spot on, access to all gear for everyone as soon as they ding lvl50, gear acquired this way will only be usable in wz-pvp. Everyone will have the same tools this way and no handicap whatsoever, and pve will not be affected.

and then half the player base leaves.

Why shouldn't I be able to choose to stack power, or surge, or crit, or a combination of the 3 in my gear, customizing it to the way I play my character?

Even just comparing between myself and 2 other level 50 snipers i see quite often in warzones, we definitely don't all have the same stats. Some of it is because of choosing to use some non-pvp gear, or choosing to get a piece of gear in a different order, choosing a field medic vs enforcer implant, etc.

Clearly people have different ideas of what stats their character should have, so I'm curious how you choose who is "right" in order to homogenize the stats. (I'm assuming it would be done by class, because it would be silly for my sniper to have the same health/defenses as a heavy armor tanking character, etc).

Well of course it would be done by a class or even a spec by spec basis. We certainly would not want to mix classes.

You bring up a valid point in the stacking of stats however. at this stage in the game wearing anything but PVP Expertise gear though is pointless. I say pointless because they have no made expertise the sole stat you want which is to expected for a PvPer.

And as far as mods without the ability to add expertise. Well there is not much point in stacking certain stats above certain lvls anyways. a Simple fact is almost all stats including and especially surge has a Soft cap and a Hard cap. Once reached there is no point in continued stacking. Which is easily able through homogenization.

The vast, gaping hole that proponents of this argument always fail to address completely invalidates their whole argument.

If you don't want rewards for pvp, and you think that the playerbase agrees with you, then go to the outlaws den or ilum and have at it. (FUN FACT: My guild had a 2v2 tournament there last night.)

There's no rewards there. So what's holding you back from this PvP utopia? Mounts? Hats? I thought you wanted to pvp just for the pvp? SO GO DO IT. Truth is, if lots of people wanted to do this, they could have already organized a recruit-gear ilum league. But they didn't. Instead they ***** and moan that somebody else killed them with better gear.

You can call it a treadmill, I call it a race. It's a race whereby the greatest pvpers rise to the top. And then it resets, and the next seasons greatest rise to the top again. I enjoy this. If you don't, you're welcome to head to ilum, but STOP TELLING ME I HAVE TO PLAY YOUR GAME.

No one said anything about rewards being removed. I want rewards. Rewards of titles and fluff and ships and mounts. That is tons of fun and status symbol. It accomplished a lot especially a ranking board.

No one said you have to play any game. That is up to you.

I am just pointing out ways that can help the PVP population as a whole. and Bring it back to when we just played PVP for fun. But the mentality of the whole, this grind is necessary and without it whats the point in a game. Is just demeaning to the development of good games, good mechanics, good story line and play style.

And the continued mentality of i want my gear to be better then everyone elses because i happen to play more is insulting. That just makes people who say that. a person who Griefs others. you want to have imbalances on purpose so that you can automatically win through the imbalance of stats. You can have a statistical advantage over another player.

if all you wanted was a advantage because you are better. you Would simply just play more. Play with friends. Learn strategies. and Memorize your abilities and what to use when. But instead you act like if you don't have a stat advantage whats the point in playing..... thats a odd mentality and sounds like a ganking griefer.

Edited by Strixs

The <50 bracket is totally imbalanced, gear is much more important as well as what class you play, the differences I can create there with gear on certain classes with absolute disregard off char lvl are far beyond anything that can be done at lvl 50.

2 premades with full battlemaster gear as it comes of the shelf will favor certain classes and specs gear and stat variation is needed to level that out. And if you look at the bm gear it has different secondary stats for different classes, you can not just homogenize that with a global mechanic it would have to be mechanic that takes class spec etc. into account which actually will bring you back to the exact point where we are now.

(edit) regarding your arguments with wow the stat gear aspect of that game is really bad if you do not see that, sorry.

GW2 dumps down the gameplay to 10 buttons, great concept NOT.

But you my still play those games, just be nice a leave us something different to chose.

So in the end your asking for a stat advantage with your stacking of stats a certain way. With which it is at one point dumbed down either way you look at it.

the reason it is dumbed down You see is once a set min / max is found to be the best. The theory crafter posts his way and then everyone copies anyways. So in affect the PVP population will homogenize it self anyways. So why bother the developers with the constant relentless tweaks to make sure the min / max community doesn't find a way to make there certain skills more OP then the devs want them to be in the first place.

And why bother the community with someone out gearing this person or that person and making the leap into pvp as a fresh 50 crude and annoying. With a wipe fest such as how Rift is now.

And no i never said lv10-49 bracket is perfect. But it is a step in the right direction. Without as much concern for gear. The pvp as a whole is more enjoyable. There is always a post about how low lvl pvp is more fun than the max lvl pvp. Which is why Rift instituted the ability to turn off EXP gain. and TBH if i could un lvl my 3 50's in rift to 49. I would so do it. Because that was some of the most fun gaming ive had in a while.