Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You aren't paying SHIPPING on it. You are paying the taxes on the shipping cost.

For the life of me though I can not figure out why after being said so many times in this thread that this is still coming up.

Actually, the entry page originally had a check box, the one right below the check box for agreeing to the terms, that stated you 'agree to pay shipping' even though the terms said Sideshow pays, but this check box has since been changed.

Even the text below all that, where it says limit one entry per person, has been changed. It used to say much more than it does now, one of the sentences being something along the lines of 'winner pays for shipping on any items won from contests or giveaways'.

So yeah, people who were complaining about having to pay shipment are legit because it was stated twice on the entry page that the winner had to pay but they (we) can all rejoice that it is now changed to say Sideshow pays shipping but winner may have to pay a tax on the shipping.

Either way, I really hope I win. Doubt it, but I can dream.

Because it's an undeclared variable. People are concerned with it being anywhere from an insignificant amount to something major.

Bottom line is, a lot of people don't have experience in high-value winnings and shipping freight.

Being an undeclared variable still has nothing to do with people claiming that they would have to pay shipping costs when it clearly states and has been repeated in numerous occasions here over the last 30 some odd pages that it is the taxes on the shipping costs that the winner is responsible for.

Actually, the entry page originally had a check box, the one right below the check box for agreeing to the terms, that stated you 'agree to pay shipping' even though the terms said Sideshow pays, but this check box has since been changed.

Even the text below all that, where it says limit one entry per person, has been changed. It used to say much more than it does now, one of the sentences being something along the lines of 'winner pays for shipping on any items won from contests or giveaways'.

So yeah, people who were complaining about having to pay shipment are legit because it was stated twice on the entry page that the winner had to pay but they (we) can all rejoice that it is now changed to say Sideshow pays shipping but winner may have to pay a tax on the shipping.

Either way, I really hope I win. Doubt it, but I can dream.

But guess what never changed. The text not in the fine print on the contest page but was front and center that I quoted. It seems pretty obvious that they have blanket fine print clauses that they post with most everything, which in this case was not true. And once it was pointed out they fixed the issue.

And no way you are going to win it, it's mine to win. If nothing else so I can take to my shop and freak out a trades shop of grown near retirement cranky old men. May have to start taking bets on who will have the first heart attack.

Edited by Hyfy

Bioware is based in the US... they are making it US only because contest rules are incredibly fickle when you try to go international with it. Every country has different laws so it makes it incredibly difficult. It has nothing to do with them favoring the US or something. They are based there, so they can hold contests there very easily.

Yeah, I certainly know about that... Even when contests are open to Canadian, there is 99% chance it exclude Quebec province... Sigh....

I will say it again though, if you are going to get mad at anyone get mad at the lawmakers of your country that make idiotic and overreaching laws the preclude you from partaking in contests like these. Not the company that is doing a nice gesture out of good intentions.
EA has plenty of european lawyers, so save your breath. EU law allows contests of this nature.

The companies "nice gesture" is one we collectively paid for, in the case of the EU customers we even contributed more than the US customers.

Edited by Byssrider

This figure will most likely be shipping from the USA. Say that the contest was open to other countries. If you were to win this, would you be willing to pay taxes and international shipping fees on a 159 pound Darth Malgus statue?

I know I wouldn't.

And AGAIN, you seem to think that Bioware or EA is required to offer something to you beyond access to the game and the forums. And fail to realize that they do NOT have to go beyond that and should not feel obligated to especially if it can and will put an undo burden on them for doing something that they do NOT have to do.

You're right they don't, and I don't think that was his point.

I think the point he was trying to make is that when something occasionally IS done beyond giving access to the game and these forums, it shouldn't exclude non-US residents...as this contest apparently does.

Anyway, I'm European myself, but I can only assume there is some reason for this contest being US only. if nothing else, I can only imagine the shipping cost, taxes and custom fees for bringing that thing to where I live for example...guess one would have to sell it to (hopefully) break even. :p

SE

Edited by ShavedEwok

You're right they don't, and I don't think that was his point.

I think the point he was trying to make is that when something occasionally IS done beyond giving access to the game and these forums, it shouldn't exclude non-US residents...as this contest apparently does.

Anyway, I'm European myself, but I can only assume there is some reason for this contest being US only. if nothing else, I can only imagine the shipping cost, taxes and custom fees for bringing that thing to where I live for example...guess one would have to sell it to (hopefully) break even. :p

SE

You may not of seen it but yes there is a reason, Ive covered it 6 ways to Sunday. Not only with him but with multiple other people, and there have been a hundred or more of other posts going into the same kind of explanation. There is actually legal reasons that preclude Bioware from being able to have the contest in some other countries. Rather then going into similar detail again I would just say go back to around page 27 or a few later and you should see at least half a dozen or more of the explanation.

If this comes across sounding harsh, its not intended that way, it's just that I've gone through and explained it so many times tonight to different people that I'm just wore out.

Edited by Hyfy

I love the "i dont want it" posts....never mind this satue will double in value the muinite it's sold out...wich wont take long.

I already own the old Don Post Vader, Boba, and Han in carbonite as well as the Gentle Giant EP.2 Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2 Life size statues. Gonna add this one to the party as well.

-This contest is only open to U.S. residents.

-The prize's estimated shipping weight is 159 lbs.

-" I agree to pay for any taxes that may be assessed on the shipping cost or value for my prize, and the terms & conditions above, unless otherwise specified in the contest description"

C'mon?! Only U.S. and even for shipping u gonna pay like 600$ !!! ?!

Most stupid thing ever,

1) You have to PAY for shipping to get your prize you won (first time I've never heard of this)

2) America only, WHAT A SURPRISE BIOWARE, its not like there are 50,000 + threads out there already complaining about how you favour Amerians over the rest of your client base, guess this is just another nail in the coffin eh?

Edited by LexiCazam
IC/old post

Most stupid thing ever,

1) You have to PAY for shipping to get your prize you won (first time I've never heard of this)

2) America only, WHAT A SURPRISE BIOWARE, its not like there are 50,000 + threads out there already complaining about how you favour Amerians over the rest of your client base, guess this is just another nail in the coffin eh?

You don't pay for shipping, you pay taxes assessed on the Statue and the taxes assessed on shipping. You aren't going to pay $800 for shipping, you're paying a fraction of that in tax, then whatever the government decides to tax you for the actual value of the statue.

Of course it's US only. It's 159 pounds, and there are legal reasons these things don't go beyond the border.

Edited by LexiCazam
IC-quote

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.