Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn... just another mmo competition excluding a whole bunch of people. I want to see a competition posted here that isnt open to US residents. That would make me smile :D

Do I smell a hint of sour grapes?

im sorry but what? A contest where the winner has to pay for shipping? sorry but im gonne pass on that.

Why is it so hard for people to read? YOU will pay the TAXES on the shipping! NOT THE SHIPPING COSTS!

Additionally, the chosen winner must be a registered user of StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com' before the close of this contest and is responsible for any taxes that may be assessed on the shipping cost or value of the prize.

Not that i ever wanted to win anything like Big No-big-name Darth firure to place near my front door to scare guests, but anyway, feel a little offended by the fact that only US residents can get the cookies. We humble Russian fans deserve some credit. After all, we invented Dark Side.

No offense anyone, 'specially Malgus fans.

Not that i ever wanted to win anything like Big No-big-name Darth firure to place near my front door to scare guests, but anyway, feel a little offended by the fact that only US residents can get the cookies. We humble Russian fans deserve some credit. After all, we invented Dark Side.

No offense anyone, 'specially Malgus fans.

Man, this has been beaten to death and explained even more. The reason it is US only is becasue of laws of some of the other nations actually do not allow for prizes or gifts of this nature to be dispersed. It isn't that Bioware/EA/or w/e the hell the name of the company is that is running the contest said screw you to the international subscribers. They are trying to keep themselves from potentially being brought into international courts and having to pay fines and restitution for breaking said countries laws. It has been explained a hundred times in this thread already, no less then 6 times myself.

Contest only open to US residents? Guess us EU players don't matter to BioWare :(

Oh well, guess I'll just have to ask my friends at Bethesda Game Studios if they have a spare Dovahkiin statue to send me instead.

May I point you to one of the other hundred or so posts that have explained this already or you can look just below your post where it was said again.

Man, this has been beaten to death and explained even more. The reason it is US only is becasue of laws of some of the other nations actually do not allow for prizes or gifts of this nature to be dispersed. It isn't that Bioware/EA/or w/e the hell the name of the company is that is running the contest said screw you to the international subscribers. They are trying to keep themselves from potentially being brought into international courts and having to pay fines and restitution for breaking said countries laws. It has been explained a hundred times in this thread already, no less then 6 times myself.

Yeah because clearly the United States of America is the sole nation without those laws, practically every country in the EU has no such law.

Oh. Now I understand. Thank you, for real) Probably, it's just there's so much whining around these forums, that, being intoxicated, I just wanted to try myself at it. Didn't mean to be serious. Anyway, who'd want a Malgus figure at home?)

idk what the problem is, Japan has SOOOOOO many exclusives with anime and video games collector's editions etc

SWTOR is an AMERICAN MADE game. we get first dibs, sorry folks, have your own country make an awesome mmo.

Great competition, and awesome prize, although again, the rest of the world has to go without.

Americans only? Again, you people stick your fingers up at the rest of the world, and tell us that we do not exist. Is the money I pay for my subscription not good enough? What about European subscribers?

Seriously, this is BS. I also want the chance to win this, and I'm sure that every other subscriber that does not live in America would like to win this.

Yeah because clearly the United States of America is the sole nation without those laws, practically every country in the EU has no such law.

See the problem is, that with Bioware being an American based company and its legal teams being US certified attorneys they know the ins and outs of American law and not the laws of the dozens of other countries that SWTOR is being played from.

And given the multitudes of laws and the individual layers of each of those laws makes it extremely arduous for any company to do contests of this kind of nature. SO yes you are correct America is not the only country that allows these kinds of contests, BUT to be able to include other countries would ostensibly add so many different statutes and terms that would make it feasibly impossible to have the contest in the first place.

So basically what you have is it being limited to US only because:

A) some countries do not allow gifts and prizes of this nature to be given away

B) with the other countries that would allow it, there would inevitably be so many rules and terms applied to the contest, to make it legal in those countries, that it creates an undo burden for something that is meant to be a nice gesture to customers

and

C) that undo burden would result in a loss of money beyond the value of the statue in the form of international lawyers, customs, shipping costs, and the ability to ensure delivery of a complete statue and not one that left New York in 1 piece and landed in Germany (yes I just arbitrarily picked a country, its only for purposes of making the point) in 5 pieces.

I will say it again though, if you are going to get mad at anyone get mad at the lawmakers of your country that make idiotic and overreaching laws the preclude you from partaking in contests like these. Not the company that is doing a nice gesture out of good intentions.

I will say it again though, if you are going to get mad at anyone get mad at the lawmakers of your country that make idiotic and overreaching laws the preclude you from partaking in contests like these. Not the company that is doing a nice gesture out of good intentions.

It's the same thing people in Quebec need to consider. Quebec's lawmakers are the reason why they get excluded from these types of things too.

I'd love to have it, but I'm not paying shipping for a 159 lb. statue, nor am I paying tax on a $6000 statue. What a rip...

You aren't paying SHIPPING on it. You are paying the taxes on the shipping cost.

This is directly from the Sideshow collectibles contest page.

Additionally, the chosen winner must be a registered user of StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com' before the close of this contest and is responsible for any taxes that may be assessed on the shipping cost or value of the prize.

For the life of me though I can not figure out why after being said so many times in this thread that this is still coming up.

It's the same thing people in Quebec need to consider. Quebec's lawmakers are the reason why they get excluded from these types of things too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to open up a political debate on this, but some of the people here seem to think that they are entitled to this, and that it is "obviously Bioware saying screw you" to them, when the reality is that it's their own laws that their government officials (elected or otherwise) have decided to impose upon them.

For the life of me though I can not figure out why after being said so many times in this thread that this is still coming up.

Because it's an undeclared variable. People are concerned with it being anywhere from an insignificant amount to something major.

Bottom line is, a lot of people don't have experience in high-value winnings and shipping freight.

totally disappointed that canadian residents can't enter. this sucks and i hope any future contests take into consideration that US citizens are not the only swtor players.

pretty pathetic when a government won't allow people to enter or win contests.

Edited by HemoValencia

pretty pathetic when a government won't allow people to enter or win contests.

No government is responsible for denying the contest to people outside the us. EA (Yes, EA. Bioware only exists as an empty name) could easily also do the contest under EU law, they CHOSE not to. See, they'd have to...zomg...do two contests. And guys, not like the EU customers pay more sub... ... ... wait a second!