Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

Contest description states you will pay either taxes for shipping or the value. So you will only pay on what I just pointed out. You will not pay for the shipping as that is not in the contest description.

That doesn't mean you're not paying shipping. They don't say they will pay shipping and you are paying the taxes. You are agreeing to pay the taxes and you are separately agreeing to pay the shipping. It doesn't say you won't pay shipping, but you do agree to pay shipping unless it says otherwise. Since they don't say they are paying the shipping, assume you are paying it.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the website sited that the value of the item would be placed at $1, wonder what the taxes on that might be...$0.20???

Read the very top, in big letters, the advertised price is clearly stated. The IRS employees may be stupid but they just aren't that stupid. The at least $1 value is for customs if they ship it over seas. Has nothing to do with prize value for tax purposes. It would be like saying the value of the brand new car you just won is only $1 for tax purposes. Lets be clear here, no one is going to fall for that.

Enter your information below for a chance to capture a Darth Malgus Life-Size Figure worth over $5,999.99 for yourself!

I guess people don't read the entire thread and just hit "Post Reply" whenever they're sufficiently upset with what they've read so far. Look back about 2 pages and you'll see I posted a quote from the sponsor's own web page that states that they will cover the shipping costs.

and i posted prior to yours that you are only responsible for the TAXES on shipping and value of item.

That doesn't mean you're not paying shipping. They don't say they will pay shipping and you are paying the taxes. You are agreeing to pay the taxes and you are separately agreeing to pay the shipping. It doesn't say you won't pay shipping, but you do agree to pay shipping unless it says otherwise. Since they don't say they are paying the shipping, assume you are paying it.

Finally able to open the Terms and conditions page.

Under the Prize heading you will find this "Sideshow Collectibles will be responsible for the shipping cost of the prize to the U.S. winner."

Although here is something interesting just below that a couple of lines, "All taxes on the value of prize, and possibly the value of the shipping costs for the prize, are the responsibility of the winner."

So folks looks like you will pay taxes on the $6000.00 value of the prize, although the terms contradict itself by 1 telling you sideshow is responsible for the shipping and then a line down indicate you will be responsible.

You know what looking over the Terms and Conditions and all the back and forth, Even if I could enter with a different email address and no phone number I would not bother with this contest.

Another Malgus item? Satele Shan needs some love as she's much cooler anyways.

Thats just the way of things in the world of SW collectables. Bad guys = big sellers.

EXAMPLE: I have the amazing Luke Skywalker Jedi knight Sideshow PF 1/4 scale statue. It's only worth say $250 in the aftermarket. Conversly my Darth Talon Sideshow PF 1/4 scale statue is worth $750-1000 and shes a hardly recognizable bit character from the EU opposite the hero of the Original Trillogy.

“This contest is only open to U.S. residents.”

and

"All winners agree to pay any taxes that may be assessed on the shipping cost or value of their prize."

Seriously? Lucasart and EA must have billions of dollars in their pockets, and they can't even be bothered paying the the shipping prize for their one winner, and that person must live in the US, because of high shipping prizes to Europe and taxes?

No offence but that seems rather cheap in my eyes...

Figure that to be about $6k of income, so plan on paying around $1,500 in federal and state taxes, plus the $100 or so in shipping. :eek:

Good luck all. :D

I keep seeing this mistake being made. They are not requiring you to pay the shipping cost. The part you quoted specifically says taxes on the shipping cost. They are figuring the cost of shipping into the overall value of the statue, so you are paying not for the shipping but the taxable value of the costs.

Maybe you should read as well. Look at the bottom of the contest page. They state near the top "This contest is only open to U.S. residents. Additionally, the chosen winner must be a registered user of StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com' before the close of this contest and is responsible for any taxes that may be assessed on the shipping cost or value of the prize."

Notice the "or value" You take a chance to either pay taxes on the shipping or you pay the taxes on the value ($6000 estimated by them). I can see them charging the taxes on the value and they will cover the less then $100.00 (based on values posted here on taxes for shipping) for shipping.

This is why I printed off that page I quoted from their website along with all of the legalese that goes with it on the off chance that I won. The sponsor's website has all the terms and conditions of the contest on their site and it clearly states that they will pay the shipping. If they decided to alter that agreement, I would argue that I'm not obligated to pay it either. They could keep the item.

I keep seeing this mistake being made. They are not requiring you to pay the shipping cost. The part you quoted specifically says taxes on the shipping cost. They are figuring the cost of shipping into the overall value of the statue, so you are paying not for the shipping but the taxable value of the costs.

Terms and conditions states that you will pay for the taxes on the value of the prize.

More FAIL bioware.

You have customers outside the US you know.

And there are laws that can preclude them from offering these contests outside the US. I wish everyone would quit with the victim routine and blaming the wrong people.

Would it be inappropriate to ask if he is anatomically correct?

I am guessing yes.

Never mind.

(y'all are just gettin' too dang serious in here!)

Edited by Lago

Is anyone else terrified of the shipping costs? I searched their website for a zip code where they would be shipping this from and I got 91320.

Plugging that into FedEx with 159 pound package to my zip, I got the lowest price to be $800 for the absolute cheapest shipping. Overnight cost $1800.

The US postal service doesn't ship packages that big and UPS wanted me to register it as a freight shipment. So...yeah make sure you guys are thinking this through before you blindly sign up and click the box for Sure I'd love to pay the shipping on this.

Paying taxes on the shipping costs! Not paying the shipping costs. So if shipping is 800 and the tax rate is 10% then you would pay $80 not $800.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.