1.2 analysis, post-PTS

JefferyClark

Master strike is now, and always has been interuptable in one of two ways -

1. the target just moves.

2. you get KB'd.

Uninteruptable simply means that someone cannot use an interupt on you and stop the animation/attack. Nothing more.

It's still an unimpressive attack in pvp for reason 1 and 2, against anyone remotely awake.

Focus took a nasty hit in pvp, I wouldn't play it anymore now that it's lost the ebb and flow it used to have. Vig still has decent damage chains, but it lost HP for a terrible survival ability that I've honestly yet to use (I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd blow focus on it.. at best, I live a 2-3 seconds, at worst I blew my ability to kill the target on me)

All in all, patch was just as unimpressive as most of my fellow old beta testers assumed it would be. Which is sad, but not unexpected.

My last post, just canceled my account -- enjoyed these forums, good luck to all.

- Kell

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. you get KB'd.

Uninteruptable simply means that someone cannot use an interupt on you and stop the animation/attack. Nothing more.

It's still an unimpressive attack in pvp for reason 1 and 2, against anyone remotely awake.

Focus took a nasty hit in pvp, I wouldn't play it anymore now that it's lost the ebb and flow it used to have. Vig still has decent damage chains, but it lost HP for a terrible survival ability that I've honestly yet to use (I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd blow focus on it.. at best, I live a 2-3 seconds, at worst I blew my ability to kill the target on me)

All in all, patch was just as unimpressive as most of my fellow old beta testers assumed it would be. Which is sad, but not unexpected.

My last post, just canceled my account -- enjoyed these forums, good luck to all.

- Kell

Cya, me and my vig bros will be drinking bacardis and wrecking ****.

2. you get KB'd.

- Kell

El oh el. The WORST that has ever happened to me when using master strike in the right moment is only getting 2 ticks off. That in itself is 3-5k dmg (variables affecting this difference being cits , opponent, and use of relics/consumables). How hard does smash hit again? Ya know, the skill that everyone QQ's about? (Ignoring the aoe part, or you can even compare it vicious throw). If you get KB'd using MS you were being careless. Thankfully our other attacks work well and rampage can help offset thos.

Edited by Skwinkles

Vig still has decent damage chains, but it lost HP for a terrible survival ability that I've honestly yet to use (I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd blow focus on it.. at best, I live a 2-3 seconds, at worst I blew my ability to kill the target on me)

Pretty much... +300 health every second isn't even enough to fully mitigate the hit you took to trigger the health... it's not an OS button... it's putting our mitigation up to where it should've been in the first place, for 10 seconds while totally gimping any damage we put out... we lost 4% Endurance and better mitigation from the application of guardian leap's buff to us by losing protector.

El oh el. The WORST that has ever happened to me when using master strike in the right moment is only getting 2 ticks off. That in itself is 3-5k dmg (variables affecting this difference being cits , opponent, and use of relics/consumables). How hard does smash hit again? Ya know, the skill that everyone QQ's about? (Ignoring the aoe part, or you can even compare it vicious throw). If you get KB'd using MS you were being careless. Thankfully our other attacks work well and rampage can help offset thos.

Umm, that's 3-5k damage over 2-3 seconds that may or may not hit... 2 ticks of master strike take 2 seconds. Most of the time, we're lucky to get 1 tick off before the target has moved since master strike is also supposed to root the target.

Edited by JefferyClark

Umm, that's 3-5k damage over 2-3 seconds that may or may not hit... 2 ticks of master strike take 2 seconds. Most of the time, we're lucky to get 1 tick off before the target has moved since master strike is also supposed to root the target.

The first two hits happen in less than 2 seconds. There is a big delay between the second and last strike. People almost NEVER move in time to avoid those first two hits. Most people cancel before the third because of the long delay anyway.

2 ticks of master strike take 2 seconds. Most of the time, we're lucky to get 1 tick off before the target has moved since master strike is also supposed to root the target.

Well you either don't play the class at all or you are even worse than Capuchin teases you about. Do you even read the spell descriptions? When has MS ever rooted the target?

:tran_frown:

Regardless of some peoples feelings on Master Strike and it's usefulness in PvP I would like to actually change the subject over to Focused Defense. The first time I used it I found it to be extremely lack luster. The amount of healing received from it is not significant compared to the amount of damage you receive from enemy players. That said I don't think it's supposed to be used as it's own separate defensive ability. I always find it more effective when used in conjunction with other abilities. Using it with my rakata medpack, using it with Enure or using it with Saber Ward has saved my life and made me significantly easier to heal in many war zones since 1.2 launched. It also has a relatively brief 45 second cool down so if you're popping one of your other defensive abilities then Focused Defense will also be off cool down as long as you haven't been wasting it.

As it concerns the Focus cost, I find this to be a moot point for the Vigilance Guardian at least. Defiance is kind of a must take ability at this point. Not because it's particularly good but because the other option would be to put points into the accuracy buff (ugh). That said, every time you're stunned you generate 4 focus, which is the exact amount of focus needed to use Focused Defense. Fancy that. Additionally, it's not like you're not going to be doing anything while this cool down is active. You should be out attacking and generating focus, which in turn will generate more healing.

I think I'm going to start using this ability offensively and see how that works out for me. I've already started using saber ward at the beginning of fights instead of when I think I'm about to die, which is a good habit for ANY Jedi Knight. If I pop Focused Defense along with it then I theorize that I can come out of the initial zerg with much more health than I usually do. I'd just have to pop combat focus first and then go from there.

lol :rolleyes:

Vigilance is killing in PVP right now, it's really got to be sticking out to people who the bads are right now.

It's almost funny that this qq post even exists. If my Master Strike Zen refreshes then something is basically dead from a buffed Dispatch crit, I can see us getting nerfed right now.

If they buff us anymore were gonna be op... although man that focused defense is a hard skill to use right.

If they buff us anymore were gonna be op... although man that focused defense is a hard skill to use right.

It's quite good when used in conjunction with other defensive abilities. I'm actually going to be getting into the habit of using it at the beginning of fights instead of when I'm in trouble. I can't tell you how many times I've been incredibly frustrated when I pop my defensive cool down and die anyway. But if I use them at the beginning of a fight it's much more beneficial to me because usually I'll survive the initial zerg with much more health left over at the end.

It's quite good when used in conjunction with other defensive abilities. I'm actually going to be getting into the habit of using it at the beginning of fights instead of when I'm in trouble. I can't tell you how many times I've been incredibly frustrated when I pop my defensive cool down and die anyway. But if I use them at the beginning of a fight it's much more beneficial to me because usually I'll survive the initial zerg with much more health left over at the end.

This has been my experience as well.

Sorry if this shows up as a double post, my phone is being dumb.

The thing with our def CDs , which is arguably a weakness, is that they need to be used proactively, not reactively. Knowing when your opponent is going to bring the pain is important in making effective use of your CDs.

With enraged def (or focused def, sorry i play a jugg) its no different. With its short CD ill use it all the time,even just arbitrarily in the beginning of a fight in an effort to stay ahead. I really only use it for the dmg mitigation i get from being vengeance, but the heal is good too, just dont think of it as a heal, think of it as further dmg mitigation. If i get hit for 2.5k, and healed for 350, thats about 15% less dmg taken (rought math here). On top of the 15%l i get from my talents (dont know how that calculates though). What i dont know is, if i have zero rage, do i still get the flat dmg reduction part?

Another nice feature is getting 4 rage while stunned. When opponents are getting ready to hit you hard, they will open up with a stun to set you up for it, allowing us to use our new CD to help with that dmg.

and honestly, between that, charge, throw, and our normal rage/focus builders, even when i swap to soresu i dont have rage problens using this, i just need to be a little more careful.

But yes i think for this skill the best use is to use it ahead of time with its benefit vs its forgiving CD.

Edited by Skwinkles

It's quite good when used in conjunction with other defensive abilities.

Pretty much how I've found it, use it alone and it's meh, use it with Saber Ward or Warding Call and it's very useful for holding out when you want to keep someone off an objective or last that little bit longer.

2 ticks of master strike take 2 seconds. Most of the time, we're lucky to get 1 tick off before the target has moved.

Stuff like this, is why people finally stopped listening to you and Garfield.

I've already started using saber ward at the beginning of fights instead of when I think I'm about to die, which is a good habit for ANY Jedi Knight.

I like to save it for Marauder's, I wait till they pop it, then push them away after a snare, let it run down then pop mine, they have no real way of keeping me off them at that point and they do very little damage back because mine is running. Then I'll save stasis for the end of the fight.

Edited by CapuchinSeven

Garfield, it's pretty clear that you have little to no understanding of what you're talking about nor do you care to understand any of what I'm saying to you. You're just bad and you want to keep reading your own gripes. Allow me to explain how I know this.

I've always been in the Vigilence Guardian tree, I played a Guardian in the weekend beta tests, and a lvl 50 Guardian is my main charecter.

Clearly you never used the ability nor did you understand how it would work. The ability that was in the focus tree works now EXACTLY like it did before they removed it and made it standard for all Jedi Knights. The 8 second cool down interrupt couldn't be used to stop Master Strike. That was it. Bioware never said anything about making you immune to CC during Master Strike. They made it uninterruptable. Which explicitly states that the class of abilities called "interrupts" wouldn't work on Master Strike. Stuns and CC's are a whole other class of abilities that work on all channeled abilities. So clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Except I've been knocked back after using force leap and immediately going into master strike as well. It used to be and I think this was part of the vigilence tree spec or a feature of guardians that we couldn't be knocked back for a few seconds after we used force leap. Now it looks like we can be (not referring to boss knockbacks).

Either you're purposefully trying to make me look bad by misquoting me or your reading comprehension is woefully lacking. Nowhere in that entire quote did I say anything about Force Sweep. As a matter of fact, what you're quoting was ALL in reference to Freezing Force. If you knew anything about Jedi Guardian abilities then you'd have understood that. Particularly considering that it was the first thing under your comments about Freezing Force and having experimented with it. Everyone knows that Force Sweep doesn't stun in PvP. If you can't win a debate based on the validity of your own argument don't purposefully misrepresent your opponents argument in order to attempt to gain some sort of advantage. It only ends up making YOU look like you don't know what you're talking about. And if you weren't do that then well... learn to read?

Then what stun were you talking about, may I ask? I know force freeze is a root, that I never use. I also know there is a limited range for force freeze. Since my area of expertise is PvE and FPs, to my knowledge, we don't have a working stun, unless you're suggesting we count awe, which gets disabled as soon as a target takes a hit or only lasts 6 seconds.

Freezing Force is more of a PvP ability then a PvE ability. That's true. Additionally, it doesn't have anything to do with master strike. Which is why in this particular section I didn't mention anything about Master Strike. I just wanted to make it clear that if you're having trouble keeping people from kiting you in PvP then we have a ridiculously good AoE snare that is most assuredly not bugged as you claim.

To my knowledge, Freezing force has the same 10 meter limitation that Blade Storm has, we don't really have any skills that can target someone whom is in the range of 10.01 m to 14.99 m. If you get the target within the 10 m range and can hit them with freezing force, yeah that's useful. If Freezing Force has a limit of 15 meters, it would be good to know that information.

I'm sorry, when I mentioned that you have 2 leaps I wrongly assumed that we were operating on a level of skill that was anywhere near the same. For that I apologize. You see, when I'm in a war zone and we're operating as a team I'm usually not the only person who is attacking my target. If I've been knocked back and there is a friendly target who was near the enemy in question then I'll Guardian Leap to him and then hit the tab key which allows me to target the enemy who knocked me back. It's really quite simple. It's just like if a friend is under attack and then you Guardian leap to the friendly target and begin attacking whomever is attacking them. It's one of those things that you do in this game when you're functioning as a team.

It is more of a difference in expertise, I consider Guardian leap to be a defense oriented skill and/or escape skill by leaping to a ranged ally. You may use it differently.

My point is, that I only have 2 leap skills total as a vigilence guardian, I often try to keep force push in reserve, because of how long our interrupt takes to cool down. Of those leaps skills one is really an offensive gap closer, the other is directed to an ally and generates threat, unless I'm trying to escape a big area attack, or distract someone from the healer, guardian leap is typically on my do not push while in combat list.

Can't say for PvE. In PvP I'm doing about 10% more damage on average per hit then I did pre 1.2 now that they changed up the way that Expertise works. It's pretty big difference.

I've gotten numbers that were higher than what I used to hit in PvE, but then I've also gotten lower numbers since switching to a custom saber, and switching out all the upgrades so they were like my original saber (which was upgraded). The lowest level upgrade on that thing is a purple 50 enhancement, purple 50 augment, and purple 50 mod. I have a 56 crit crystal, and a 56 might hilt. I did more damage pre-1.2 on average, using a 51 guardian hilt with a nonaugmented lightsaber. All the upgrades were from my old saber, so I should be generating the same damage on average at the very least.

I also haven't done any changes to my armor, offhand shield, implants, earpiece, or relics. Also my gear is PvE, and I'm using it in PvE. If it was a loss of damage in PvP that's nothing for me to complain about because we all know they were trying to seperate PvP gear from PvE gear.

Edited by GarfieldJL

The thing with our def CDs , which is arguably a weakness, is that they need to be used proactively, not reactively. Knowing when your opponent is going to bring the pain is important in making effective use of your CDs.

This is true of most defensive CDs in this game. Like you mention, FD is best used proactively, similar to Rebuke for Sentinels. However, FD is unique in that it can be used while stunned. So it can be used reactively as well.

Then what stun were you talking about, may I ask? I know force freeze is a root, that I never use.

FF is a snare, not a root. It's main application for me is to allow for MS use in PVP or Opportune strike on trash in PVE.

To my knowledge, Freezing force has the same 10 meter limitation that Blade Storm has, we don't really have any skills that can target someone whom is in the range of 10.01 m to 14.99 m.

Both Force Leap and Saber Throw have a 10m minimum range, not 15. Check your tooltips.

Of those leaps skills one is really an offensive gap closer, the other is directed to an ally and generates threat, unless I'm trying to escape a big area attack, or distract someone from the healer, guardian leap is typically on my do not push while in combat list.

Guardian Leap isn't a direct threat generator. It lowers the threat of your target. Just don't use it on a tank.

This is true of most defensive CDs in this game. Like you mention, FD is best used proactively, similar to Rebuke for Sentinels. However, FD is unique in that it can be used while stunned. So it can be used reactively as well.

That's great cept I don't have defiance, I'm used to being ignored by enemies in PvE. I rarely get stunned for very long cept by bosses.

That's great cept I don't have defiance, I'm used to being ignored by enemies in PvE. I rarely get stunned for very long cept by bosses.

Defiance is a bit weaker in PVE, true. However it does allow FD use immediately when stunned, like I mentioned. Even in PVE that's more attractive to me than an extra 2% accuracy. If you're using it outside of stun, use combat focus if it's up. Hopefully the threat dump will be enough that you won't need more than the initial 4 focus cost. However, I usually don't have problems with focus in PVE anyways, so the focus drain isn't much of an issue for me.

Edited by Andrew_Past

@Garfield

Then what stun were you talking about, may I ask? I know force freeze is a root, that I never use. I also know there is a limited range for force freeze. Since my area of expertise is PvE and FPs, to my knowledge, we don't have a working stun, unless you're suggesting we count awe, which gets disabled as soon as a target takes a hit or only lasts 6 seconds.

Ah, I see that this is clearly a reading comprehension issue. Nowhere in the original message that I was commenting on did I mention a stun. I was replying to your comments about experimenting with Freezing Force. As though there's really anything to experiment with. Frankly you should just use it. It's one of the best AoE snares in the game. And yes, it's a SNARE not a ROOT or a STUN. They are 3 different things.

Snare = Slowed

Root = Immobilized

Stun = can't move or do anything

Freezing Force is a snare

I've always been in the Vigilence Guardian tree, I played a Guardian in the weekend beta tests, and a lvl 50 Guardian is my main charecter.

Hrmmm. You must be one of these 'Play by feel' guys. Fair enough.

Except I've been knocked back after using force leap and immediately going into master strike as well. It used to be and I think this was part of the vigilence tree spec or a feature of guardians that we couldn't be knocked back for a few seconds after we used force leap. Now it looks like we can be (not referring to boss knockbacks).

Okay so this is what's going down. You're a PVE Vigilance guardian that doesn't have Unremitting. You should fix that. Unremitting is the 2 point skill in the Vig tree that makes you immune to all CC for a few seconds every time you force leap.

Aside from that, you're still not taking into account that getting knocked back isn't the same as an interrupt. It does stop Master Strike, but it doesn't 'interrupt' it in the sense that Force Kick or Mind Snap would. Those are abilities on short cooldowns whose sole purpose is to interrupt casts in progress and also lock the target out of using that ability for a number of seconds afterwards. These are 'Interrupt' abilities. It's to these that Master Strike is immune, not legitimate crowd control like Force Stun, Force Push, etc. You can only use Master Strike without fear of these types of abilities when under the effects of Unremitting.

It is more of a difference in expertise, I consider Guardian leap to be a defense oriented skill and/or escape skill by leaping to a ranged ally. You may use it differently.

You're given a toolbox. If you learn to use the tools you're given in every applicable situation, you'll be better at the game. Using Guardian Leap offensively falls under this category.

My point is, that I only have 2 leap skills total as a vigilence guardian, I often try to keep force push in reserve, because of how long our interrupt takes to cool down. Of those leaps skills one is really an offensive gap closer, the other is directed to an ally and generates threat, unless I'm trying to escape a big area attack, or distract someone from the healer, guardian leap is typically on my do not push while in combat list.

This needs to change. Guardian Leap is one of two unique things we bring to a PVE encounter as Vigilance, the other being another primary source of sunder. Remember the toolbox. It lowers the aggro of whoever you use it on, like Sage's Rescue but one that moves you to them rather than moving them to you. Excellent and unique ability. Very utilitarian in the right hands.

I've gotten numbers that were higher than what I used to hit in PvE, but then I've also gotten lower numbers since switching to a custom saber, and switching out all the upgrades so they were like my original saber (which was upgraded). The lowest level upgrade on that thing is a purple 50 enhancement, purple 50 augment, and purple 50 mod. I have a 56 crit crystal, and a 56 might hilt. I did more damage pre-1.2 on average, using a 51 guardian hilt with a nonaugmented lightsaber. All the upgrades were from my old saber, so I should be generating the same damage on average at the very least.

If you're not feeling a significant improvement to your dps as Vigilance, it's either your spec, your rotation, or some combination of the two. Here's my preferred spec for PVE vig DPS.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MMZcGMRMuddhRZrM.1

If this puts you over budget on Accuracy Rating, rather than pulling points out of Accuracy, I suggest running some HM Flashpoints and picking up some knight/smuggler gloves and yoink some Crit/Surge or Power/Surge enhancements out of those mofos and put them to work in your gear over your accuracy stuff you're using now.

PVE DPS Priority flowchart is as follows: (Assumes you know how a flowchart works, priority in descending order of importance, if a line isn't applicable or possible go to the next until you hit one that is. Prerequisite conditions separated by actions with colons, otherwise just use the skill listed.)

1. Have Aggro: Saber Ward
  2. <50% Health: Medpack (Not negotiable.)
  3. Enemy >10m: Saber Throw
  4. Enemy >10m: Force Leap
  5. Enemy >4m: Dispatch (Procs preferred)
  6. Enemy >4m: Blade Storm (Procs preferred)
  7. Weak/Normal/Strong + CCed: Pommel Strike
  8. Weak/Normal/Strong + Snared/Rooted: Opportune Strike
  9. 3+ Enemies in range: Force Sweep
  10. 3+ Enemies in range: Cyclone Slash
  11. Weak/Normal, 4k+ Health Remaining: Master Strike
  12. 4pc Vindicator, <5 Stacks of Sunder or <9 Focus: Saber Throw
  13. <5 Stacks of Sunder or <9 Focus: Sundering Strike
  14. Riposté
  15. Plasma Brand DoT Not Present: Plasma Brand
  16. Force Rush: Dispatch
  17. Force Rush + Momentum: Blade Storm
  18. Overhead Slash
  19. <9 Focus and enemy susceptible to CC and not currently affected by one: Force Stasis
  20. Non-Force Rush Dispatch
  21. Force Rush + No Momentum Blade Storm
  22. Master Strike
  23. Force Sweep
  24. No Force Rush and/or Master Strike is on CD: Plasma Brand
  25. No Momentum + <5 Focus: Guardian Leap + Saber Throw (No 4pc Vindicator)+ Force Leap
  26. No Momentum + Force Leap on CD + <5 Focus: Combat Focus
  27. Naked Blade Storm (No Force Rush or Momentum)
  28. <5 Focus: Force Stasis

Edited by Onager

Both Force Leap and Saber Throw have a 10m minimum range, not 15. Check your tooltips.

Incorrect. If they were 10m, Blade Storm would be able to be used. When a target is between 10-15m, there is NO attack or move we can use to get at them.

As a note, you CAN reduce the minimum range on Saber Throw by 10m (to 5m) with a 4x set bonus on one of the pve sets... but the pve set isn't meant for pvp, which is really what we're talking about with the anti-kiting stuff... Now that set bonuses can be moved around, we'll see if this helps or not...

Force Leap is never below 15m.

Okay so this is what's going down. You're a PVE Vigilance guardian that doesn't have Unremitting. You should fix that. Unremitting is the 2 point skill in the Vig tree that makes you immune to all CC for a few seconds every time you force leap.

I have it, it doesn't work. I can hit force leap, and then get hit by a knockback and end up farther away from my target or get stunned and stay in the place. Either way, I'm not on my target, and Force Leap is now on cooldown.

Edited by JefferyClark

Incorrect. If they were 10m, Blade Storm would be able to be used. When a target is between 10-15m, there is NO attack or move we can use to get at them.

As a note, you CAN reduce the minimum range on Saber Throw by 10m (to 5m) with a 4x set bonus on one of the pve sets... but the pve set isn't meant for pvp, which is really what we're talking about with the anti-kiting stuff... Now that set bonuses can be moved around, we'll see if this helps or not...

Onus is on you, bud. Prove it. Let's see those screen caps of the tooltips. You're the one saying stuff that doesn't reflect reality.

I have it, it doesn't work. I can hit force leap, and then get hit by a knockback and end up farther away from my target or get stunned and stay in the place. Either way, I'm not on my target, and Force Leap is now on cooldown.

I don't believe you.

1. Have Aggro: Saber Ward
  2. <50% Health: Medpack (Not negotiable.)
  3. Enemy >10m: Saber Throw
  4. Enemy >10m: Force Leap
  5. Enemy >4m: Dispatch (Procs preferred)
  6. Enemy >4m: Blade Storm (Procs preferred)
  7. Weak/Normal/Strong + CCed: Pommel Strike
  8. Weak/Normal/Strong + Snared/Rooted: Opportune Strike
  9. 3+ Enemies in range: Force Sweep
  10. 3+ Enemies in range: Cyclone Slash
  11. Weak/Normal, 4k+ Health Remaining: Master Strike
  12. 4pc Vindicator, <5 Stacks of Sunder or <9 Focus: Saber Throw
  13. <5 Stacks of Sunder or <9 Focus: Sundering Strike
  14. Riposté
  15. Plasma Brand DoT Not Present: Plasma Brand
  16. Force Rush: Dispatch
  17. Force Rush + Momentum: Blade Storm
  18. Overhead Slash
  19. <9 Focus and enemy susceptible to CC and not currently affected by one: Force Stasis
  20. Non-Force Rush Dispatch
  21. Force Rush + No Momentum Blade Storm
  22. Master Strike
  23. Force Sweep
  24. No Force Rush and/or Master Strike is on CD: Plasma Brand
  25. No Momentum + <5 Focus: Guardian Leap + Saber Throw (No 4pc Vindicator)+ Force Leap
  26. No Momentum + Force Leap on CD + <5 Focus: Combat Focus
  27. Naked Blade Storm (No Force Rush or Momentum)
  28. <5 Focus: Force Stasis

Allow me to speak on behalf of all healers and say you're medpacking too aggressively. If you're talking solo PvE, fine, whatever (but also - any rotation works in solo PvE). For raid healing, I'd say it should be the healers' job to call out medpac use, since it's one per fight now.

You are the one who is incorrect. Force Leap and Saber Throw both have a range of 10-30m by default. The set bonus you are talking about removes the minimum range completely (that's the entire point of it). Read the tooltips for the abilities instead of spreading misinformation in the forums please.

Unremitting works. You are completely mistaken about this. It works every single time. If you are getting knocked back it is because the ability was used more than 4 seconds after your leap.

Honestly, there should be some kind of penalty for being this wrong on the forums. Read your ability descriptions and tooltips. It isn't that freaking hard.