The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Color crystals and the lore

Belpheghor

Because it does break immersion, it's nonsense to mix up the faction colors, having Jedi with red sabers and Sith with green/blue, it makes absolutely zero sense and I'm still in shock Bioware would sell out like this even now.

It breaks my immersion to think that a Sith whose "chains are broken" would still allow himself to be dictated to or harangued about his cosmetic choices.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it does break immersion, it's nonsense to mix up the faction colors, having Jedi with red sabers and Sith with green/blue, it makes absolutely zero sense and I'm still in shock Bioware would sell out like this even now.

Not really. In fact, without the alignment restrictions, this is pretty much what you had. You're Sith ends up straying into Light 1 because they are not a complete bastard? Oh sorry, you only get blue and green now, you can't keep that red you wanted. You play a Jedi who strays into Dark 1? Oh, sorry, you can't use blue/green any more, red for you!

Unless the restrictions were Sith only get red, and Jedi onlt get blue/green no matter what, you immersion would be broken under the old system, much more than the current one. And that would really just be boring in the end because you remove the point (other than stats) of crystals in the first place.

Many people have also given good reason why a Sith or Jedi may have colours more commonly seen used by the opther faction. There's also the mistake that just because it's player common that it's all of a sudden NPC common, which really is not remotely true.

Where in the Jedi code does it say "There is no red, there is blue. Or green."? I sincerely doubt that there's a rule about saber colour in the Jedi handbook. I expect they have more important things to teach you than how to accessorise your weaponry. The "Red is for baddies everything else is for goodies" system is an association based on the prevalence of red lightsabers among the Sith. It's not a rule.

Which brings me to the Sith themselves, actually. If you tried to tell a Sith Lord that his green lightsaber was inappropriate and shattered your immersions, he'd just laugh and use it to remove your face.

"Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

guess what? i care nothing about your immersion. just as you apparently care nothing about mine. thank god the devs have stated that the "immersion" defense is one of the weakest there is.

the fact that you can't understand that the devs are most definately following the lore, as opposed to selling out, speaks volumes.

Samuel Jackson got a purple lightsaber because he liked purple.

No one got in a hissy fit over his lightsaber not being, "Blue or green".

Player wants to be a dark side Sith who may use a blue saber just to spite the Jedi.

Fans get into a hissy fit over it.

*shrug*

Adi Gallia used a red saber.

She wasn't flirting with the dark side, there was plenty of opportunity to change it (which she did eventually, but only because talk of Sith made people uneasy with the color red -_-), heck she even got on the council with the weapon still being red.

It's a matter of preference as much as availability, and she created her crystal through synthesizing. She could have made adjustments to change the color, but she didn't.

Edited by DeutschGamer

It breaks my immersion to think that a Sith whose "chains are broken" would still allow himself to be dictated to or harangued about his cosmetic choices.

I get the whole freedom of choice argument and many of the colors are pretty cool indeed, I agree, but the 3 basic faction colors of red, blue and green should remain with their proper faction imho.

The odd ball colors are fine since there isn't as big of a tradition with those. I actually like some of the new colors, especially the blacks, there are lots of cool colors to pick from, so why can't a BIT of tradition still hold?

I swear people are just plain spoiled anymore, why not let Jedi wear Sith gear and Sith Jedi gear while we're at it then?

There is no written law to state I can't dress up like a Jedi too right? Maybe the Jedi should give themselves Darth or Lord Names, unless there is a specific Jedi naming code.

Without any limits or boundaries this game kinda gets silly is all, and yes, it does break the immersion because it breaks the lore and tradition.

I get the whole freedom of choice argument and many of the colors are pretty cool indeed, I agree, but the 3 basic faction colors of red, blue and green should remain with their proper faction imho.

The odd ball colors are fine since there isn't as big of a tradition with those. I actually like some of the new colors, especially the blacks, there are lots of cool colors to pick from, so why can't a BIT of tradition still hold?

I swear people are just plain spoiled anymore, why not let Jedi wear Sith gear and Sith Jedi gear while we're at it then?

There is no written law to state I can't dress up like a Jedi too right? Maybe the Jedi should give themselves Darth or Lord Names, unless there is a specific Jedi naming code.

Without any limits or boundaries this game kinda gets silly is all, and yes, it does break the immersion because it breaks the lore and tradition.

Thing is no one is stopping you from carrying out your tradition, but its not your place to force your opinion on other players when there is nothing said lore-wise that forces Sith or Jedi to use particular sabers.

You find it silly, other players find it liberating to have choice.

Besides the fact that red/purple is still the most common color on Empire side as are blue/green on Republic side, I don't see your complaint having any real base.

Make your own guild that follows tradition, go make a game where you enforce this restriction. Problem is when people pay to play a game where they get to be their own guy/girl, it should be totally up to them whatever color they want to use. Its not being spoiled, its called having a fun game mechanic that furthers customization.

If anything, you come off as an entitled person who wishes to impose his thoughts of the right way to play on other people. I don't see that as being any better.

Edited by DeutschGamer

I agree 100%

If they made another Star Wars movie and the Sith all used a rainbow of colors I guarantee you the audience would freak out, you guys are forcing your justification on us because there is no written rules for saber crystal colors and some goofy Star Wars novel here or there may have had a contradiction to the norm.

I grew up with Star Wars (37), saw the original trilogy in the theatres, had all the toys (btw, NEVER saw a toy figure Sith with a non red saber, or a Jedi with a red), and yes the prequels had some contradictions to the norm color wise, but that was basically Samuel Jackson demanding he have purple for his saber.

Sith red, Guardian blue, Consular green, Sentinel yellow, not hard to figure out.

Why not have WW2 toys of US soldiers have Nazi colors and symbols on them, or have the germans wears the US green lol, were does all this end?

I don't care about a novel here or there with some crazy author who wanted to break all the rules, your justifications are weak, your arguments shallow.

No true Star Wars fan would support this stuff.

Bioware has blended the factions into a hodgepodge mess. Pretty soon there will be no point in having Imperial and Republic since the races and equipment and powers/abilities will all be blended together with the Legacy system.

The Legacy system was a good idea for getting peeps to reroll new toons, but a BAD idea for the Star Wars lore, in a year everything will be so mixed up there will be little point to having 2 factions at all at this rate.

u lost me at a few goffy books

6 movies dont dictate a universe of thousands of years a TRUE STAR WARS FAN KNOWS THIS :)

Thing is no one is stopping you from carrying out your tradition, but its not your place to force your opinion on other players when there is nothing said lore-wise that forces Sith or Jedi to use particular sabers.

You find it silly, other players find it liberating to have choice.

Besides the fact that red/purple is still the most common color on Empire side as are blue/green on Republic side, I don't see your complaint having any real base.

Make your own guild that follows tradition, go make a game where you enforce this restriction. Problem is when people pay to play a game where they get to be their own guy/girl, it should be totally up to them whatever color they want to use. Its not being spoiled, its called having a fun game mechanic that furthers customization.

If anything, you come off as an entitled person who wishes to impose his thoughts of the right way to play on other people. I don't see that as being any better.

Cool, but let's keep the ball rolling, I wanna use Republic ships as an Imperial and use their gear and weapons too.

I think the Sith should learn the Jedi code too because I wanna and if anyone says I can't then they're :mad: bad people, it's my right to because I pay for this game.......

Cool, but let's keep the ball rolling, I wanna use Republic ships as an Imperial and use their gear and weapons too.

I think the Sith should learn the Jedi code too because I wanna and if anyone says I can't then they're :mad: bad people, it's my right to because I pay for this game.......

Are we on the same page here?

Little crystals found growing on planets all around the galaxy to be put in lightsabers vs. Ship designs made exclusively by the Republic or Empire.

And most characters don't even bother learning the Jedi/Sith code, its an after thought. I realize your trolling though, and not doing a very good job of making a proper argument.

Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....:(

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.

Just because you are sith doesn't mean you have to use red. The only reason they have red is because of the forging process to make synth crystals. Sith have been known to use natural crystals but prefer red because of added power to them.

Sure, why not? If your Sith wants to learn the Jedi Code, or vice versa, then I don't see why he/she shouldn't be able to. The resources are out there, it wouldn't be impossible to do so. Works for me.

Sure, why not? If your Sith wants to learn the Jedi Code, or vice versa, then I don't see why he/she shouldn't be able to. The resources are out there, it wouldn't be impossible to do so. Works for me.

Fine, I give up, I'm way too outnumbered on this issue, seems everyone wants everything mixed up into a hodgepodge so there's no point in arguing about it. Between the crystals and the Legacy System, Bioware has already trashed the 2 sides beyond repair anyway and I'm sure more blurring of the lines will continue.

Just sad is all, Bioware has zero respect for SW and is deluding the factions in order to make a buck. They've opened Pandora's Box to appease whiners and now I fear for the future of this young game. I hope I don't see too many Sith Pureblood Consulars or I'll need a gag bucket next to my computer......:(

Bioware has zero respect for SW and is deluding the factions in order to make a buck.

Actually I'd say the issue is that you have zero understanding of the real SW lore. Because your arguments have all been proven wrong, by people who actually understand the SW lore.

Fine, I give up, I'm way too outnumbered on this issue, seems everyone wants everything mixed up into a hodgepodge so there's no point in arguing about it. Between the crystals and the Legacy System, Bioware has already trashed the 2 sides beyond repair anyway and I'm sure more blurring of the lines will continue.

Just sad is all, Bioware has zero respect for SW and is deluding the factions in order to make a buck. They've opened Pandora's Box to appease whiners and now I fear for the future of this young game. I hope I don't see too many Sith Pureblood Consulars or I'll need a gag bucket next to my computer......:(

You... do understand that the Legacy system is just a fun way for players that have alot of alts to get a few bonus' right? Any that it's not canon in any real way?

Right?

Its just that your argument is flawed. Outside of the black core sabers (which were obviously incorporated as a fun item, not to make lore), any color crystal can be used by either side. There has never been any rule against this or any lore that demands otherwise.

So yes you are entitled to your traditional thinking in that factions should keep certain colors to themselves, but its only because it aesthetically pleases you seeing all red sith. Fact is red is still the most common color on the sith side and blue/green are the most common on Jedi.

Have to remember this is a game set 3000 years in the past to the movies where your tradition comes from. That allows for some leeway in color crystals and use by factions. And because its a game they can create and alter things that aren't exactly backed up by lore but are fun/popular/new items or features to appeal to players like dark cores or the legacy unlocks.

Edited by DeutschGamer

If they made another Star Wars movie and the Sith all used a rainbow of colors I guarantee you the audience would freak out, you guys are forcing your justification on us because there is no written rules for saber crystal colors and some goofy Star Wars novel here or there may have had a contradiction to the norm.

Except that there was never any justification for not having a Rainbow Saber. I've heard it described like this.

In the OT, special effects were limited, so they were really restricted to light blue and red (before it was remastered, some people said it was more of an orange...), in the PT, Obi-Wan had to use a blue saber because he used one in the OT, Qui-Gon had to use a green one to make sure he wasn't confused with Obi-Wan, and Maul used a red one to give the same effect Darth Vader had when he revealed his red lightsaber.

I grew up with Star Wars (37), saw the original trilogy in the theatres, had all the toys (btw, NEVER saw a toy figure Sith with a non red saber, or a Jedi with a red), and yes the prequels had some contradictions to the norm color wise, but that was basically Samuel Jackson demanding he have purple for his saber.

Going to verify this, some people said that in the Arena scene of II, there was a Jedi in the distance with a red saber.

Sith red, Guardian blue, Consular green, Sentinel yellow, not hard to figure out.
Oh wait, that's right, there was no yellow in the OT. So therefore, there can be no yellow.

Why not have WW2 toys of US soldiers have Nazi colors and symbols on them, or have the germans wears the US green lol, were does all this end?
There is a difference between a color of a lightsaber, and the legitimate symbol of a country. And by the way, not all Nazi soldiers wore gray. Under Rommel, Nazi Soldiers in NA used tan uniforms. Not all US soldiers wore green, mostly it was the ones that fought in the pacific, the ones who fought in urban settings wore gray.

I don't care about a novel here or there with some crazy author who wanted to break all the rules, your justifications are weak, your arguments shallow.

What rules?

No true Star Wars fan would support this stuff.

Because if you say it, it's fact amirite?

Bioware has blended the factions into a hodgepodge mess. Pretty soon there will be no point in having Imperial and Republic since the races and equipment and powers/abilities will all be blended together with the Legacy system.
You sound like one of those guys that stands on the street corner with a sign saying, "The world will end soon! Repent!" or one of those people who thinks the world will end in 2012 because of a Mayan calendar. Because Bioware isn't living up to your silly idea of what makes a Jedi a Jedi and a Sith a Sith, and because a grand total of 8 abilities are shared between all factions, can only be used in small groups/solo and aren't necessarily faction specific. (Luke using force choke on Gamorrean guards? Who says a Trooper can't call down an orbital strike? And why can't a Sith Warrior play dirty with a "special kick"?)

The Legacy system was a good idea for getting peeps to reroll new toons, but a BAD idea for the Star Wars lore, in a year everything will be so mixed up there will be little point to having 2 factions at all at this rate.

Once more, standing at a corner, "The world will end! Repent!"

Edited by Guildrum

Quote: Originally Posted by Belpheghor

What's funny is you are basing your ideas on a color system that was invented AFTER the movies FOR A GAME! Not once, in the 6 movies plus TV shows did they specify classes beyond Padawan, Jedi Knight or Jedi Master, and those are merely ranks. It wasn't until the EU, which you apparently dismiss, that classes and traditional colors for those classes was established, and even then it was merely a choice.

What's funny is you are basing your ideas on a color system that was invented AFTER the movies FOR A GAME! Not once, in the 6 movies plus TV shows did they specify classes beyond Padawan, Jedi Knight or Jedi Master, and those are merely ranks. It wasn't until the EU, which you apparently dismiss, that classes and traditional colors for those classes was established, and even then it was merely a choice.

That too. If you went purely by the OT then...

Blue = Pure light Jedi

Green = Darkening Jedi (Luke used green when he started to fall in VI...)

Red = Fallen to the dark side

Or if you went by the PT/OT

Green = Master

Blue = Padawan/Knight

Red = Sith

Purple = Samuel L. Jackson

I asked this before but cannot find my previous post... Does anyone have any information about the Magenta lightsaber color crystal? I know Mara Jade used one but has anyone else? Do we know the origin lore-wise of the planet where this crystal can be found? Star Wars wizard , please inform me! :3

"Before the second battle of Ruusan, the Jedi ignited lightsabers in every color of the spectrum." From a guy's sig I saw. It's also supported on Wookieepedia (one of the few articles they got right).

And since the Ruusan campaign takes place a thousand years AFTER TOR....

And that's all I got to say about that. :p

so your saying magenta couldnt exist during tor? :S