Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The problems with Pyro post 1.2

Theology

Problems:

1. Proc'ing PPA while RS is not on CD

2. 'Famine' situations on procs still exists and happen frequently.

Easy fixes for Bioware:

1. Make PPA not proc unless RS IS on CD.

2. Increase the % that FB and RP have to proc more, or make FB just do it 100% of the time.

Thoughts?

Dont bother.

But whining about the quality of his post is constructive.

Anyways, I dont feel the damage is so bad but after playing 6 warzones I feel quite a bit more squsihy than I used to. Another nerf that Biowear didnt include in the notes?

Is it so hard for you to be constructive in any thread?

You're asking way too much of Hizoka.

I honestly do NOT like the change of the Pyro. And it has nothing to do with effectiveness. I think we're still very effective as a single target killer. It also has nothing to do with heat, I am already getting used to weaving in Rapid Shots more often, so it is not a big deal.

I just dont "LIKE" the new mechanic, simple because in the back of my mind I feel like I am ALWAYS getting screwed with the Procs. We still have the downside of the RNG, and now what's worse, loosing the CD on RS to a proc. It just feels like I am constantly getting ripped off.

I don't like it at all. I am in 2pc BM gear the rest is Champ, I seem to hit for a lot less and die twice as fast.. Is the leap in expertise to full BM that much of a difference?? Is it changes to other classes?? I am just so discouraged and disappointed right now I don't feel like playing much at all!!

Pretty much everyone under 1,000 expertise is getting wrecked, it's not us specifically. If you're in Champion or Recruit running into BM+ geared DPS anything is going to feel like running into a clothesline.

As for Pyro, I already stated my thoughts on the matter in their PTS forum. From a design standpoint one of the worst ways they could have nerfed PPA since it actively works against the player learning to play their class skillfully. We still completely murder people with decent gear, it just feels crappier to try and do. Not sure how that was a win for anyone.

Still dislike the DFA changes more than anything, though. Cutting the damage field area by 60% is an enormous change in usability. It doesn't even cover the area the graphic covers now, which was exactly the opposite goal of them messing with the size of the AoE targeting reticules in the first place. Feels utterly neutered in impact, especially in a PvP environment where you're not often going to get full ticks on moving targets and those "grazing" kinds of hits (that are now MUCH fewer in general) are weaker thanks to their last minute changes.

None of this stuff is game-breaking or anything, but it definitely invokes a kind of "stuck pixel" sense of resentment. To be honest the much bigger problem is just the general balance of healing versus damage in PvP now, because that now feels completely wrong. I don't know if I'll be doing a lot more PvP on any of my characters until someone comes in and gives their PvP development team a proper sense of project planning and direction. It certainly feels like they've been flailing at an answer for their problems on this front since we went live.

Problems:

1. Proc'ing PPA while RS is not on CD

2. 'Famine' situations on procs still exists and happen frequently.

Easy fixes for Bioware:

1. Make PPA not proc unless RS IS on CD.

2. Increase the % that FB and RP have to proc more, or make FB just do it 100% of the time.

Thoughts?

1. Tip: don't try to proc PPA when RS is not on CD. Pay close attention to when PPA procs, and time your next proc attempt accordingly.

2. Some RNG makes gameplay more interesting. Hot streaks are fun. If they happen all the time, they're not hot streaks.

Pretty anecdotal, after only a day of WZs, buuuuut...

On my Vanguard, I'm sitting at about 700 expertise after picking up 3 BM pieces today. The rest is Cent/Recruit gear (and my Cent gear now has defense :/).

I was wrecking face in WZs, save for the three games where I was Tactics (AP) to try it out courtesy of my free respec.

Being able to get 2 rail shots within 3 global cooldowns most of the time is fine. Opening with IM rather than FB is fine. Free interrupts are a thing of beauty, since you can actually be useful while rebuilding heat by sitting on a caster.

I probably played about 15 WZs, and really didn't see too much difference between pre and post 1.2. Also anecdotal, but many of the faces I was wrecking were War Heroes who I used to flee from in my full Cent.

As a disclaimer, I did a lot more Rapid Shotting than other Vanguards/PTs I saw pre-patch, so it might be a learning curve thing. TD>IM>RS>RP>RS or FB>FB or RS is still a pretty terrifying string of attacks. Rapid Shots and reposition in the downtime, or in GCDs where you're closing in (which is often).

1. Tip: don't try to proc PPA when RS is not on CD. Pay close attention to when PPA procs, and time your next proc attempt accordingly.

2. Some RNG makes gameplay more interesting. Hot streaks are fun. If they happen all the time, they're not hot streaks.

1. Cany ou afford to use Incindiery Missle every time you switch targets?

2. Except we can't have any more hotstreaks, bro. Hence the problem.

Where is my LAUGH? How are we supposed to know when PPA procs

seems they screwed up the sound department big time in this patch; all sound effects in whole game are totally borked. guess fixing that is one of the major reasons for the follow up patch today.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.