Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Celebrate Game Update 1.2: Legacy

AlysonBridge

Has it not occurred to anyone that this gesture could be related to their recent admission of failure with Illum? Or that they were forced to pull ranked warzones at the last minute? Both major features of the game that 50s heavily rely on...

then maybe thats what they should have said it was for instead of insulting a good portion of thier player base.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TLDR: You didn't "earn" anything in a video game and this game is broken at all levels.

I haven't earned anything in a video game since I unlocked my Jedi in SWG and watched them ram a fist in me. After that, I didn't care about anything in games anymore, I'm still bitter about it. I don't care if they gave 30 days free to people with whatever they choose to be the cut-off. What I'm trying to say is that there has to be a cut-off if there is one, if there isn't, fine, like I said I don't care at all.

However, I'm trying to explain the reasoning for the cut-off being 50. I know I come across as cold or snide at best, hostile in some cases but that isn't my intent, it's simply how I grew to communicate with people, maybe because I don't want, expect, demand or beg anything from anyone.

The ridiculousness of *some* of the posts in this thread, however, make me sad. Sad for humanity and sad because I've seen developers just throw in the towel because people hurl a metric ton of bile at them for anything and everything without a moments thought about how the developers feel. When the devs lose the fire to make the game the best they can, the game dies. That's why the constant whining and bashing makes me sad.

-- Yeah I can see why you're confused. A totally meaningless bundle of polygons vs. what is effectively a $15 voucher. Yeah. Totally the same value. You must be a business major with that keen economic sense. Either that or a Bioware viral marketer desperately trying to downplay this.

... or someone who sees value in a gift. Gifts; they're those things that people give when they don't have to.

I guess your senses were too keen to allow for that variable.

Thank you for the extra month free time Bio-Ware.

To all that aren't level 50 yet, why are you so slow? You have had four months to play through the class story and haven't finished it yet.

I did finish. At 49. Then I rolled an alt.

But that's where your missing the point.

There are other issues that were dealt with that are being resolved with this patch--technical issues and what have you.

There are those people who knew about the top tier problems and lack of end-game and chose to do other things rather than sit around waiting.

But most importantly, there are players who are being rewarded who really weren't affected. When we can say that players who've been here, along with all the bugs and issues, since day one. Who've provided feedback on test and so forth. And who are not being rewarded when someone who's been here only a few weeks and pushed quickly through their content, or who had pushed their level early on and quit until yesterday or even this morning that are being rewarded, that really is an issue.

I've already said why that is wrong. Tell me, how did these people know about the problems? Because OTHER people dealt with them, provided feedback and allowed BW to analyze what was wrong. And now, these people that did, they get a nod and a small acknowledgment for helping them identify and rectify problems so YOU don't have to deal with them eventually.

You are angry because a portion of the people got a small nod who volunteered for something which you refused to take part in. That's my point.

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. Nowhere have I said I was angry. Yes, I disagree with the criteria used because it rewards people who didn't earn it and doesn't reward some that did. There's a difference in being angry over something and seeing something as unfairly done.

I certainly agree that some of the issues were brought to light by others, and those players get kudos from me. But the same goes for other technical and gameplay issues. For preparing bug reports, providing step by step reproductions of issues, testing various portions of the game, and even working to identify connection and patching issues. Those are not limited to things experienced only at 50. And we know for certain that not everyone who's got one or more level 50 character has contributed in that manner. That there are those who haven't even been playing who are being rewarded.

However this wasn't pushed forward as a "thanks for helping us" reward. Instead it is a loyalty reward. In that light, I'm not even sure which sounds worse lol.

This isn't about getting a free month, at least to me.

The game is still new. Bioware is setting a precedent on how they will make business decisions in the future, as well as how they relate to their customers.

In my eyes, this is just the beginning. If they feel they can get away with making a segment of their playerbase feel alienated NOW, 4 months into the game, then who knows what they feel they will be able to get away with later.

Edited by Skoobie

So I have a level 33 on a USA West Coast sever and a 43 on an Oceanic server. I realise that I'm getting a free transfer soon as well but 30 days would have been nice.

I mean if I had of just stayed on the US server I would have leveled off my 33 Vanguard. Instead I chose to play locally and support the Oceanic server.

Perhaps I'm being greedy.

... or someone who sees value in a gift. Gifts; they're those things that people give when they don't have to.

I guess your senses were too keen to allow for that variable.

Your opinion of what value is does not represent actual value.

To all that aren't level 50 yet, why are you so slow? You have had four months to play through the class story and haven't finished it yet.

Because I don't play like you? That's my thought.

The "you are so slow" argument makes no sense in an MMO intended to be a slower experience. The above quote is an excellent representation of today's MMO player, and the reason why we see power-gamers still pushing the influence bar.

To all the people that get the free month. . .

how would you feel if bioware gave people a free month if you did not have a 50 as a way to help these people reach the endgame quicker. and in the note they said "to our loyal altoholics, enjoy this free month to catch up to others"

your reactions would be the same as ours that you would want a free month and you people with 50s are not loyal because you are not experiencing the whole game.

Your opinion of what value is does not represent actual value.

Your opinion of value is that it's only monetary or physical, but that's simply not the case. I feel bad for people who can't see a kind gesture for what it is, but have to pull out their measuring sticks and complain that they didn't get a gift with the same sticker price.

Because I don't play like you? That's my thought.

The "you are so slow" argument makes no sense in an MMO intended to be a slower experience. The above quote is an excellent representation of today's MMO player, and the reason why we see power-gamers still pushing the influence bar.

I think you (and players like you) are more likely to stay if they don't give you a free month tbh.

The ridiculousness of *some* of the posts in this thread, however, make me sad. Sad for humanity and sad because I've seen developers just throw in the towel because people hurl a metric ton of bile at them for anything and everything without a moments thought about how the developers feel. When the devs lose the fire to make the game the best they can, the game dies. That's why the constant whining and bashing makes me sad.

this is honestly why this was so upsetting to me. i understand that mmo's are difficult to make and maintain. i have constantly been here telling people to relax, the devs have worked hard, and the game just needs time to settle out. other than today, i do not have one qq on these forums, with over 200 posts on this act ( i had another that i used before the game launched, but i forgot all the info for it and had to make a new one). i want this game to succeed.

however, to tell me that i am not as valued, because i am not at level 50, is just crap.

they need to give the 30 days to everybody that was subbed.

I don't see why you would, you haven't finished. Did you run any flashpoints? Sounds like you are a flavour of the month re-roller to be quite honest.

Why does it matter to you? It's his playstyle and he can play how he likes. He's still paying the same amount of money you are.

I haven't earned anything in a video game since I unlocked my Jedi in SWG and watched them ram a fist in me. After that, I didn't care about anything in games anymore, I'm still bitter about it. I don't care if they gave 30 days free to people with whatever they choose to be the cut-off. What I'm trying to say is that there has to be a cut-off if there is one, if there isn't, fine, like I said I don't care at all.

However, I'm trying to explain the reasoning for the cut-off being 50. I know I come across as cold or snide at best, hostile in some cases but that isn't my intent, it's simply how I grew to communicate with people, maybe because I don't want, expect, demand or beg anything from anyone.

I understand to a degree. However, saying that it makes you sad for humanity because people are upset about this is silly. Yea, people have gone overboard with the whole, "BW SEZ WEER 2ND CLAS SITIZENZ" thing; but such is the nature of the beast. But, I'd be willing to bet having OJ Simpson be my house guest for the weekend that BW doesn't truly feel that way.

However, there are many valid reasons as to why people are upset as to how the line was drawn with the cut-off. Frankly, this game is broken enough at all levels to warrant a free month across the board.

Edited by Telaan

I don't see why you would, you haven't finished. Did you run any flashpoints? Sounds like you are a flavour of the month re-roller to be quite honest.

uh you said class story.. he/she DID finish the class story.

agenda is an agenda

because my main is also in a static, my alts (some of which are higher level then the static) support the static in several areas of crafting and gathering. Our goal with our static is to regear at the end of each planet with top end purple mods and equipables.

we enjoy the leveling content, even so far as finishing planets after our xp from missions drops to 5.

this is how we spend our $60 (15x4) per month... I still dont see how it makes us unworthy of being considered "loyal" customers.

I think you (and players like you) are more likely to stay if they don't give you a free month tbh.

yeah you said that earlier today and what? 20-30-40 people told you you were wrong in under 10 minutes?

Nice to see you stick with a story

no matter what the responce is

To all the people that get the free month. . .

how would you feel if bioware gave people a free month if you did not have a 50 as a way to help these people reach the endgame quicker. and in the note they said "to our loyal altoholics, enjoy this free month to catch up to others"

your reactions would be the same as ours that you would want a free month and you people with 50s are not loyal because you are not experiencing the whole game.

I would not care at all. Of course, you will never believe it. Which begs the question, why pose a question in the first place? Why not just post: "I know you would cry too!" which, of course, is non-sense, you don't *know* hence the proper way to put it would be "I think". However, that would be sensible, we can't have that.

Your opinion of value is that it's only monetary or physical, but that's simply not the case. I feel bad for people who can't see a kind gesture for what it is, but have to pull out their measuring sticks and complain that they didn't get a gift with the same sticker price.

It isn't a kind gesture, it's them trying to keep players that could possibly quit. Instead, some of the people they're alienating are quitting. Hell, I still got the stupid in-game item that I'll never use and I have no plan to log in again. I paid $15 a month for that "gift".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.