Celebrate Game Update 1.2: Legacy

AlysonBridge

No one knows?! My boyfriend hasn't received anything either. How did everyone get their 30 days free time? Did it just magically appear in "my account" -> subscription or what?

I'm wondering how it works too - I have cc - recurring sub plan, but still no email, one would think 4 50s are enough to qualify. Maybe they do expect us to have active sub ON 24th or 25th to add it I dunno, mine runs out in 5 days.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering how it works too - I have cc - recurring sub plan, but still no email, one would think 4 50s are enough to qualify. Maybe they do expect us to have active sub ON 24th or 25th to add it I dunno, mine runs out in 5 days.

Ye... in my case I'll paying 15€/18USD for 6 days. Apparently there are other people affected in the same way: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3892841

Conversely there are a lot of players who went with BW's "it's about the journey" thing. Many leveled characters simultaneously instead of going straight for level-cap.

I think the issue here is pretty clear...the reward for "loyalty" should go to the long-time subscribers. It should not be level-based. Had that been the way it was done I firmly believe there would be a LOT less grousing.

There are also a lot of us who, in addition to wanting to get immersed in the story versus power-levelling, were also aware of the TOTAL LACK OF ENDGAME at launch. Why would I rush to 50 during the early access (and I saw a few 50s even then) to just sit around and do nothing?

Man, Bio is having a baaaaaaaaaaaad month when it comes to their big games. First the ME3 debacle, and now p*ssing off their MMO customers (again).

Conversely there are a lot of players who went with BW's "it's about the journey" thing. Many leveled characters simultaneously instead of going straight for level-cap.

'Going straight for level cap'? Getting to 50 is nowhere near the herculean marathon task you seem to think. Just getting to the end of act 3 while doing most of the missions along the way is enough to get you 90% of the way. One or two flashpoints, a handful of space mssions, and you're there.

I@m sure plenty of people levelled characters simultaneously but still saw 50. Hard workers, alt-lovers, roleplayers... it's so easy that it takes an effort of will NOT to get there, and although BioWare may speak about the journey being the important part, you can still be on the journey and get to 50 quite easily. End-game was the problem, not level 50 in itself.

BW never told anyone to avoid 50. Some people did, but they shouldn't really have been listened to.

I think the issue here is pretty clear...the reward for "loyalty" should go to the long-time subscribers. It should not be level-based. Had that been the way it was done I firmly believe there would be a LOT less grousing.

Likely this wouldn't have reached the people they were hoping to reach, so there wouldn't have been a promotion at all. Which would have been a bad thing for all the blameless players who got something nice.

Edited by smartalectwo

There are also a lot of us who, in addition to wanting to get immersed in the story versus power-levelling, were also aware of the TOTAL LACK OF ENDGAME at launch. Why would I rush to 50 during the early access (and I saw a few 50s even then) to just sit around and do nothing?

Man, Bio is having a baaaaaaaaaaaad month when it comes to their big games. First the ME3 debacle, and now p*ssing off their MMO customers (again).

Yup, I have brought that point up several times as well. I didn't want to hit the level-cap wall.

BW is wobbling. Hopefully they'll take a deep breath and keep on going and "grow" this game so that our memories of the rough "start" will be overshadowed by the good things that happened from here on out.

Wow!

In terms of bizarre decisions this takes the biscuit. If the plan was to polarise the playing population it's been a massive success, if it had any other purpose probably not quite so successful. It's a weird arbitrary decision to pick having a lvl 50 as a means to reward the 'most valued players', but it's a great way to annoy otherwise happy players who have yet to reach that point in the game for one reason or another.

'Going straight for level cap'? Getting to 50 is nowhere near the herculean marathon task you seem to think. Just getting to the end of act 3 while doing most of the missions along the way is enough to get you 90% of the way. One or two flashpoints, a handful of space mssions, and you're there.

I@m sure plenty of people levelled characters simultaneously but still saw 50. Hard workers, alt-lovers, roleplayers... it's so easy that it takes an effort of will NOT to get there, and although BioWare may speak about the journey being the important part, you can still be on the journey and get to 50 quite easily. End-game was the problem, not level 50 in itself.

BW never told anyone to avoid 50. Some people did, but they shouldn't really have been listened to.

Likely this wouldn't have reached the people they were hoping to reach, so there wouldn't have been a promotion at all. Which would have been a bad thing for all the blameless players who got something nice.

Many people did go straight to level-cap and of those, many were grouchy when they discovered it was "less than polished". That happens every time in new MMOs and I chose to avoid it.

I'm not going to argue with you methodology with respect to "time it takes to level cap". Of course it can be done in short order. So? It's hardly a mark of "loyalty" which is precisely the term BW chose to use as a reward for the 50s.

And with that, I'll leave you to it. We aren't going to have a meeting of the minds. I'm not one who is going to unsub in a high dudgeon, I'm waiting to see what the next few months brings. BW is mucking things up and that doesn't necessarily chase me off. How the REACT to their mistakes is far, far more important.

Have a good weekend!

The free 30 days for people who have a level 50 is ********. I have been playing since launch with a recurrent subscription and I just did not put tons of time to level one character to 50. I still did play a lot, and now I am being told I am not a valued customer because I don`t have a level 50?

*** is that Bioware.

I do kinda agree with that. I have been a sub since early access and have like 15 chars none at 50 cause I like to take my time and enjoy everything. Should have given a free month to all subs with so much pay time Imo

A copy of the email: Here

Also reads:

Click here or simply reply to this email to unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

So maybe those who didn't get the mail are not subscribed for whatever reason...?

Edited by KyaniteD

Haha, I like the fact that all the level 50's are claiming that giving them a month free is a sign the game is dying while the people who didn't get to level 50 are mad they didn't get the free month. Basically the people that got the free month don't want it and the people who didn't do.... Sorry BW, tough crowd...

I agree.

But I must admit that if I didnt have a level 50 I'd feel horrible. I play a lot and I'd not like to feel left out like that. I'd feel slapped in the face yep.

If they would give everyone who say played from start a gift, maybe a choice between the pet or a surprise goodies bag and free month would have been a better idea, since some don't care for the money but seems to like the pet better, while some others really could have used the free month.

Edited by WarriorGurl

I've maintained an active subscription since I bought this game on December 31, 2011, and I've been playing an average of four or five hours a day since then. I have yet to reach level 50, because of various issues with the game, like the lack of a paid character transfer service, or an in-game "barbershop."

I hit level 25 on a handful of characters on my old server and then had to start over on another after it died. Because I'm picky about character looks, I chose to restart a handful of characters well into their teen levels. I also picked the wrong AC at one or two occasions and had to restart those.

I'm no stranger to this game. I know that I can do Ord Mantell in 3 hours and 10 minutes if I do all the quests. I've done every starting planet at least five times and at least twice with every class out there. I've done Balmorra, Taris and Nar Shaddaa (including bonus series) twice now, each.

Reaching level 50 is not a marathon, no. You can hit 50 in a week if you mash that Spacebar fast enough. It takes a bit longer when you're not skipping cutscenes and are playing six characters simultaneously.

I'm simply shocked at BioWare. I play the game for 9½-11¼ hours per day and the highest level I have is level 9 (even though my sig says I have a 50, I put that there so I seem cool). I am taking my time playing the game, RP'ing, and really enjoying everything like walking around, using the mailbox, and using talents on mobs... UNTIL NOW.

I have been here since early access and have over 480 level 9s on over 60 servers, why should I be punished? Just because I have been unable to come to grips with the frightening, forever-binding selection of advanced class and instead really enjoy the starting areas means I am less important? I feel so less important. I didn't even sleep well last night and had a nightmare about a large animal chasing me.

My wife (who only plays for 5-7 MINUTES per day because of her job as a hot-air balloon pilot) has logged over 2.5 hours per month and over 10 hours of gametime total since launch and has a level 50. This isn't fair. It is causing problems in our relationship and I'm going to leave her unless I get a free month too.

So give me my free month. Since you force me to pay a subscription just to play the game that I already bought I should be able to get what everyone else gets.

Very nice! :D Haven't seen such a generous gift of a free month before at any other mmo.

i played warhammer online and i got about 3 free months. everytime they messed up an update or if the server were down too long, they gave away free months ^^

but HOW can i get the minipet?

i dont see it in my inventory, i dont see unlocks in the legacy options and i dont see it in my minipet window!

Bioware, while I appreciate the free game time and the offer of a free pet. I do not like the fact that this offer is only available to level 50 players.

All players regardless of their level, should be included in the free 30 days playtime.

I see posts like this, but I don't see any solutions to the problem, just more vapid complaining.

How would you expect them to do it? Via Founders titles? Well that cuts out another chunk of players. By account registration date? Well that cuts out another chunk of players. No matter which way they do this, not everyone will get the reward.

Maybe, just maybe, Bioware has (and here comes the shocker) statistical data about how many level 50's there are. They then decided that the best way to reward the largest (or smallest, for the cynics and conspiracy theorists who plague the forums) section of the player base was to give the rewards based on level 50's. Frankly, I don't see the rewards for any other suggestion as being 'more' for anyone, and in fact being worse overall.

That was my 15th or so post in this thread, so maby you shouldnt look for answer sin it.

Ive suggested solutions in earlier posts.

But yeah, if tehy want to reward their VALUED (because thats what were all getting angry about) customers, then how about the people with founders titles?

The people that have been here from the start.

Or even better, people who have had an active subscription since the start of the game.

Haha, I like the fact that all the level 50's are claiming that giving them a month free is a sign the game is dying while the people who didn't get to level 50 are mad they didn't get the free month. Basically the people that got the free month don't want it and the people who didn't do.... Sorry BW, tough crowd...

I think this pretty much shows that from their perspective, they did the right thing. Those who didn't get to level 50 want to continue (because they have content left), anyway, so they will pay. Those who got to level 50 and have some of their new content postponed likely wouldn't stay, so they get the free time.

And then there are people like me, who have pushed one toon to 50 to take part in endgame content and have a number of lower level alts to enjoy the rest of the leveling content. We get it all, it seems. But like I said, I'm considering donating a 30 days time card to someone deserving in my guild or on my low-population server who didn't get it.

As has been stated before, the wording is unfortunate.

Edited by KyaniteD

Reaching level 50 is not a marathon, no. You can hit 50 in a week if you mash that Spacebar fast enough. It takes a bit longer when you're not skipping cutscenes and are playing six characters simultaneously.

You're no different than me. I've restarted characters over looks. I've dithered over ACs and restarted characters over something as trivial as not liking the double saber or two sabers after all. Yeah, I've changed server when the one I was on (Ebon Hawk) turned to not be the one a friend was on.

Still got one to 50. Happened... sometime early on Corellia, I think. Maybe you didn't need to mash the spacebar. Maybe all you needed to do was play five characters simultaneously, not six. In the end, there's always a cutoff point for any promotional offer, you didn't qualify... that's it.

Folk who subscribed from the beginning got an in-game title. Had it been an in-game title again here, likely there'd have been very little brouhaha. But because it's game time, well... people get funny over money.

I have been here since early access and have over 480 level 9s on over 60 servers, why should I be punished? Just because I have been unable to come to grips with the frightening, forever-binding selection of advanced class and instead really enjoy the starting areas means I am less important? I feel so less important. I didn't even sleep well last night and had a nightmare about a large animal chasing me.

I Iol'd.

i played warhammer online and i got about 3 free months. everytime they messed up an update or if the server were down too long, they gave away free months ^^

but HOW can i get the minipet?

i dont see it in my inventory, i dont see unlocks in the legacy options and i dont see it in my minipet window!

I suggest reading the email...?

I think this pretty much shows that from their perspective, they did the right thing. Those who didn't get to level 50 want to continue (because they have content left), anyway, so they will pay. Those who got to level 50 and have some of their new content postponed likely wouldn't stay, so they get the free time.

And then there are people like me, who have pushed one toon to 50 to take part in endgame content and have a number of lower level alts to enjoy the rest of the leveling content. We get it all, it seems. But like I said, I'm considering donating a 30 days time card to someone deserving in my guild or on my low-population server who didn't get it.

Not that it matters much but I have suggested a diff option in my previous post on the previous page. Because anyway of course most people don't understand the reason why BW did this way.

It is very generous of you to donate to one of your guildies, those who feel they don't need the free month should do the same :)

Edited by WarriorGurl

I too am completely baffled by the lack of forethought that went into Bioware's decision to limit a free 30 days to those customers who made it to 50.

I will qualify my position on this by saying that I do have a character at 50, and have received my confirmation email that I will be getting a free 30 days.

However,

My friends who pre-purchased this game and have been enjoying it since early access are not so fortunate. They have either subscribed with 3 or 6 month payments, and have met all the requirements set out by Bioware, EXCEPT the do not yet have characters who reached level 50.

This is not a lack of dedication or loyalty on their part, but rather a reflection of their busy personal lives. They are all professionals who also have young children. Their 'free time' is limited, but when they do have a moment they log on for as long as they are able and become immersed in the stories that Bioware has created.

I would request that Bioware explain how they feel that customers in the same situation as above do not deserve the same thank you gift / Loyalty reward as those players who were not on board since day 1 (or even before launch), and can by choice or circumstance have not yet made it to level 50?

Bioware's decision to reward those player's with level 50 toons, is a slap in the face to all Sub-50 customers who chose to go with Bioware, EA, and Lucas Arts in a VERY competitive MMO market.

Again, I received the free month. I will not be using it. This business & marketing decision

was the last coffin nail in a series of bad moves.

I'm embarrassed to have recommended this game to so many people.

Shame on you Bioware.