Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Tauntaun Hoth Mystery

Jenemi

Can you direct me to where it says 'special mission'? I read through the old post, but I can't find reference to it.

Hmm... I took a double check and it seems it may have been changed from when it originally said that. It does now just say Tauntaun Vanity Pets can be acquired on Hoth though the exact reasoning is unknown.

However, that still leaves the fact that it says they can be gotten on Hoth and the Developer comment was that it involved two planets, so unless what he said changed...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of combat health regeneration by 60 for 60 minutes but the thing is it says (I'm paraphrasing) Tauntauns can't resist the smell and texture.

Can you also give the NAME of the buff? Maybe that's another hint...

Hmm... I took a double check and it seems it may have been changed from when it originally said that. It does now just say Tauntaun Vanity Pets can be acquired on Hoth though the exact reasoning is unknown.

However, that still leaves the fact that it says they can be gotten on Hoth and the Developer comment was that it involved two planets, so unless what he said changed...

I recall the Developer said two planets were required, and that they had already been named. There were ~6 planets named before he said that.

Also, just because "TaunTaun Vanity Pets" is plural, it doesn't mean there are two different ones.

I think it's quite possible that it's not on Hoth.

I've spent ~10 hours exploring every nook and cranny on Hoth that I can get too, and have yet to find a clickable or had something react to the Jerky Buff.

Edit: The only place I havent found is where the dead tauntaun baby and mothers are. Someone mentioned those and never posted coords. No clue where that is.

Edited by donoftheslum

What could we do with what the buff gaves? Well, Regen heal could be very usefull in the areas where we are coming close to the borders of map and loosing heal - we are than out of combat, and rather close to a place where a lost tautaun could be...a volontaire?;)

Did anyone else has noticed the debuff when you are on the top of Highmount Ridge ?

~(-909,168) where there is the Hightmount ridge wampa with the frozen corpse and the chest.

The debuff says : "Extreme Altitude : The harsh weather conditions on Highmount Ridge are taking their toll. No health regeneration, movement speed reduced"

The health regeneration part is strange, I have no idea if this debuff was here before 1.2.

I tryied to climb the mountain (I can use sprint for wall--jump as I'm a consular but you might need to duel/bump since you can't run because of the debuff). There is nothing on top, maybe something to do with the jerky.

Also I noticed the wampa (elite one) has quite a strong bump, maybe something to use ? I don't know.

Actually, this might lead us to Belsavis. Do you remember those roaming Tauntauns in Eternity Vault? I suppose, it has some connection with Belsavis, although I haven't explored the entire planet yet... Edited by Youra

Did anyone else has noticed the debuff when you are on the top of Highmount Ridge ?

~(-909,168) where there is the Hightmount ridge wampa with the frozen corpse and the chest.

The debuff says : "Extreme Altitude : The harsh weather conditions on Highmount Ridge are taking their toll. No health regeneration, movement speed reduced"

The health regeneration part is strange, I have no idea if this debuff was here before 1.2.

I tryied to climb the mountain (I can use sprint for wall--jump as I'm a consular but you might need to duel/bump since you can't run because of the debuff). There is nothing on top, maybe something to do with the jerky.

Also I noticed the wampa (elite one) has quite a strong bump, maybe something to use ? I don't know.

I think we are getting closer and closer to the solution:D!

The debuff on Highmont Ridge's peak is not new. It is used to freeze water from Tatooine, which in turn you use to summon the Force Ghost on Ilum to obtain a mat needed to craft a magenta crystal. Not new. The chest and legendary wampa are not new either, but the two young wampas and their mama are new.

I spent four hours yesterday scouring every inch of Hoth I could access. I found the Ice Fern but no liver. I found many instances of groups of tauntauns wandering, and many instances of one tauntaun alive with a dead one, or a dead tauntaun with an Ice Stalker over it.

I scoured the Star of Coruscant and found nothing. It's possible the jerky is used similar to the water on Tatooine as a debuff against exhaustion zones (like with the orokeet pet), so maybe people need to start exploring the exhaustion zones?

I will keep searching as well.

Is it possible that all the tauntauns on Hoth are false leads? We know that creatures in this game are "summonable" (like the wampa on the mountain) so maybe we need to look places with no tauntaun at all (where perhaps a baby has been abandoned).

Based on the NVSCCS, a spaceport makes the most sense. Perhaps inside one, in some unlikely place? Patience may also be key, and it's probably a good idea to keep panning your camera to see if anything is running up slowly from a long ways away.

I assume that most of you are running around with the buff as well as jerky in your inventory? It's hard to know which is required of us.

I checked the spaceport on the Republic side and did notice two tauntauns in a cage that I believe was previously empty...

Coordinates and specifications are always helpful :3

Edited by Jenemi

Hey guys!

I'm unfortunately away from my computer this weekend and won't be able to actively participate in-game. However, I've read through this thread numerous times and did some research outside the game based on suggestions from fellow tauntaun hunters. There is actually ALOT of useful information on the tauntaun wookieepedia page which coincides with our hunt.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun

To paraphrase, the following sentences are the most crucial and should be seriously considered:

1) When not eating the fungus that grew beneath the frost layer or lichens found in hoarfrost, the omnivorous tauntauns were also known to eat ice scrabblers and Hoth hogs.

2) Tauntauns were able to give birth to two young at a time.

3) Tauntauns were the primary prey of the wampas.

Based on these statements, one can assume that we're potentially looking for an area with a dead tauntaun (such as the coordinates I've previously posted which are now part of the original post, thanks to Jenemi) or perhaps a wampa cave with a dead tauntaun inside.

Furthermore, if tauntauns are able to give birth to two young, then this makes it all the more likely that those who posted mentioning having seen a dead tauntaun with a baby nearby (although no one has been able to confirm this in the way of coordinates) could perhaps lure out the second young.

Hence, using the "jerky buff" at these locations could incite the second younger tauntaun to emerge, thus being able to be captured by the NVSCCS.

However, someone else has suggested using the NVSCCS to capture an ice scrabbler to use as bait, so perhaps both methods are worth investigating, although at this time no one has been able to confirm a location to find an ice scrabbler. Nevertheless, capturing an ice scrabbler would render the "jerky buff" obsolete... so it seems we've arrived at another impasse.

Well, this is unfortunately all the speculation I can offer at this time. Let's try and keep posting useful information, as well as get confirmation on the missing coordinates! Keep up the good work everyone. Happy hunting.

DrossHoplite

Edited by DrossHoplite

ive gotten 6 ice scrabber livers off of scavenging wampas that were around lvl 38, i dont remember the exact coordinates they were in an ice crevace surrounded by dead tauntauns (im not at my pc atm) but their all champs around lvl 38

ive gotten 6 ice scrabber livers off of scavenging wampas that were around lvl 38, i dont remember the exact coordinates they were in an ice crevace surrounded by dead tauntauns (im not at my pc atm) but their all champs around lvl 38

If they're the ones I'm thinking, I believe they're elite mobs (gold star) and not champions (gold/silver). I'll try to get coordinates later today.