Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

gizbug

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like that "march update" that got pushed back a month and a half.

I guess I share the anger that so many people feel. SWTOR flopped, not because it was a bad game, but because of BW's continued ignorance and inaction.

Incredibly distraught about this game and all time/energy i dropped into it

Wont consider server merges but are making char transfers a top priority? LOL, doesn't that just replace one problem w/ another? Wouldn't you prefer to manipulate the player base on each individual server as a company as apposed to leaving it up to the individuals.

All we want is a player base to play with... 15 people on the fleet at prime time isnt cutting it.

splitting hairs? what's the diff? in one case you force people to switch and in the other case you allow them migrate freely.

sounds like the migrate feature offers the greatest flexibility. I, for one, have a char on another server and I would like to move him to join my legacy. a forced server merge would not allow that.

something has to be done. i left a number of the heroric missions on the table on the later planets because it was so hard to find a group, read hoth onward. there were a number of heroric missions that i went back to on some of the earlier planets, same reason, no population, but I could complete them due to leveling advantages.

Needless to say, my social score is a bit weak because of this.

There will be a server merge when both of the following conditions are true:

1) BioWare has implemented the technology to support it.

2) EA gives BioWare its blessing.

The latter may take (considerably) longer than the former due to the expected impact the perception of a server merge might have on EA's stock price.

In other words, no time soon.

You all should know by now.....the biggest threads are about server change and bio has offered no answers that i have seen. So why do the threads keep coming? CAUSE IT NEEEDS TO HAPPEN! but bio dont have answers to this one question even tho serv trans on asain servs were no prob.

You all should know by now.....the biggest threads are about server change and bio has offered no answers that i have seen. So why do the threads keep coming? CAUSE IT NEEEDS TO HAPPEN! but bio dont have answers to this one question even tho serv trans on asain servs were no prob.

Except that I just posted 6 paragraphs of a BW response. And that was just the most recent one. I could also post some James Ohlen and Stephen Reid responses to it. I might even be able to dig up a Damion Schubert for you.

Lets do a little research first, hmm? Especially when your post is contradicted by one only four posts above yours. Just saying...

Except that I just posted 6 paragraphs of a BW response. And that was just the most recent one. I could also post some James Ohlen and Stephen Reid responses to it. I might even be able to dig up a Damion Schubert for you.

Lets do a little research first, hmm? Especially when your post is contradicted by one only four posts above yours. Just saying...

This!

That still doesnt give us a answer. Soon or we plan to work on it doesnt mean anything. Hell all that means it can come out in 2 weeks, 2 months? or 2 years

What we want to know is WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN.

What we want to know is WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN.

Dude, you need to just unsub and come back when transfers are live. You have no patience, no tolerance, and no sense of real life as it pertains to release processes for software [a transfer process is a software process].

They do not preannounce anything until they have finalized the process and have actual release dates. This has been true of every change, every patch, etc. etc. It would be stupid for them to preannounce and then have something go wrong that resets their release plans. You announce the details WHEN you have them finalized [a business best practice in the industry].

Edited by Andryah

Dude, you need to just unsub and come back when transfers are live. You have no patience, no tolerance, and no sense of real life as it pertains to release processes for software [a transfer process is a software process].

They do not preannounce anything until they have finalized the process and have actual release dates. This has been true of every change, every patch, etc. etc. It would be stupid for them to preannounce and then have something go wrong that resets their release plans. You announce the details WHEN you have them finalized [a business best practice in the industry].

Just like Ranked Warzones.

Just like Ranked Warzones.

Absolutely! I am totally for releasing broken content just to meet a superficial deadline. Gives us more things to complain about, right?

Seriously, why is there not more thinking going on in this thread?

Edited by Dolcia

Not the one you directed this at, but this applies to me in a way too : I have unsubbed (still here with the free month giveaway from BW). I have alot of patience (I maxed fishing in EQ1, along with the other professions like 10 years ago !!), but when I can't find enough players to start some PvP or a FP, then why bother... so I unsubbed.

Now, me personally, am a 1 game at a time kinda player. I played about every MMO but only play 1 at a time. For now I just watch some TV series I saved up but come 15 may D3 is there for me and after that GW2 will come. So I am afraid BW will have lost me as a customer, even though they might get their server populations fixed.

I am thinking that there might be lots of people like me who dedicate their time on 1 game only also. So... long story short, BW wake up and fix the population issue. This is your most important issue after the technical issues.

Any chance we can get a server transfers for us who are on dead servers, because people just keep leaving the game because they are on dead servers.

You put out far too many servers in Open Beta and at Launch to accommodate for the vast numbers, but since then the numbers have dropped dramatically and I and many others on dead servers want to switch, so please let us server transfer, even if it's a paid one, because the game is just not fun when your on a dead server and the only thing that happens is people leave the game due to the crap server they are on.

So please, let's get this rolling before more people leave!

I know I repeated myself about 10 times but I'm trying to get the message across to you guys, lol

Opening up transfers for some players is nice for those players, but now the low pop servers are going to become even worse.

It's time to merge servers. It's not an admission of failure, BioWare. If you re-energize the people who DO like this game (me and approx 1.7 million others), you may be able to open up more servers again later. Letting servers stagnate will only seal the fate of the game. Long queue times seal the fate of the game. People will go elsewhere not because the game is bad, but because the first "M" in MMO will be destroyed by refusing to group people now.

This is a very good game. It made an excellent launch and has a lot more to offer than what people give it credit for. What it is missing is other people to share it with except on a rare few servers.

Those who would be critical of people that won't patiently wait should remember that this and all other games are a way to pass the time... and if it isn't fun, yeah you're gonna dump it. It's not a committed relationship we're talking about here... it's a video game.

I also find it funny that anybody who isn't a saluting, first-class fanboi that hasn't been a registered user since 2009 gets shunned. That's hilarious. "Ok everybody that hasn't been waiting as long as I have for this game can ****!" So I haven't been wasting my time on these forums for years waiting for this game to be released... doesn't make my $15 any less important.

If they charge money to solve a problem that was created by them, the exodus will be great. If that's their solution, that is. Those of you that say be patient, well unfortunately that's a luxury that BioWare doesn't have... to sit back and wait.

I know I've just set out a buffet table for trolls, but there it is. Save this game by merging now... not depending on people to try to find their way. If you intelligently merge the servers in ways that do not overload them, yet balance them and give some overhead for future growth, it will be a much better gaming experience for everyone.

Opening up transfers for some players is nice for those players, but now the low pop servers are going to become even worse.

It's time to merge servers. It's not an admission of failure, BioWare. If you re-energize the people who DO like this game (me and approx 1.7 million others), you may be able to open up more servers again later. Letting servers stagnate will only seal the fate of the game. Long queue times seal the fate of the game. People will go elsewhere not because the game is bad, but because the first "M" in MMO will be destroyed by refusing to group people now.

This is a very good game. It made an excellent launch and has a lot more to offer than what people give it credit for. What it is missing is other people to share it with except on a rare few servers.

Those who would be critical of people that won't patiently wait should remember that this and all other games are a way to pass the time... and if it isn't fun, yeah you're gonna dump it. It's not a committed relationship we're talking about here... it's a video game.

I also find it funny that anybody who isn't a saluting, first-class fanboi that hasn't been a registered user since 2009 gets shunned. That's hilarious. "Ok everybody that hasn't been waiting as long as I have for this game can ****!" So I haven't been wasting my time on these forums for years waiting for this game to be released... doesn't make my $15 any less important.

If they charge money to solve a problem that was created by them, the exodus will be great. If that's their solution, that is. Those of you that say be patient, well unfortunately that's a luxury that BioWare doesn't have... to sit back and wait.

I know I've just set out a buffet table for trolls, but there it is.

Save this game by merging now... not depending on people to try to find their way. If you intelligently merge the servers in ways that do not overload them, yet balance them and give some overhead for future growth, it will be a much better gaming experience for everyone.

/agreed

Until someone from BW actually comes out and says why this is a bad idea, they will continue to get raked over the coals for being unresponsive to their user community.

Edited by Jaksith

I like transfers. Preferably to random servers you dont get to choose. That will help break up all the cliques and other social type groups I abhor. Let them start from scratch forming new cliques... Haha.

I dont like to be around other people. It irritates me. I like getting all buffed doing my soloing and farming, and then talking about my gear in these forums. But the thought that these other people have friends they chat with and go on adventures with makes me depressed. So I like BioWares' transfer proposal.

I am on Naddist Rebels. Sometimes I am on planets and I am the only one. But then the day passes, and one or two other people show up. I can't see them, but I know that they are there, because of the population box at the top of the screen. This irritates me. It is my planet. I was there first. They need to get off and leave me alone.

Now, with the transfers, they will leave. And I will be left alone. Maybe I will have the entire server to myself. Maybe I can get BioWare to rename it "Drunkenpig's Universe". That would be cool.

So keep it up Bioware. You guys are on the right path! :)

Edited by Drunkenpig

Opening up transfers for some players is nice for those players, but now the low pop servers are going to become even worse.........

[cut for length]

Yes, a million times yes. My server isn't totally dead, but it is pretty frail looking. What's really sad is that on pretty much every planet outside of the fleet had less than 30 people on it, with many of the 35+ planets having less than 5 people. That's not good. Most of the time I feel like I'm playing SRPG not an MMO.

I'd love to see my server get merged with another server. Especially if in merging, the two faction populations are brought more into balance.

Edited by Heliwyr

I know I've just set out a buffet table for trolls, but there it is. Save this game by merging now... not depending on people to try to find their way. If you intelligently merge the servers in ways that do not overload them, yet balance them and give some overhead for future growth, it will be a much better gaming experience for everyone.

no, server merge wont change any thing,

cause we are at different time zone,

what we truly need is a server transfer or a x-server LFM.