Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss the topic of server populations.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

Were there too many servers at launch? Could that be the reason for some low population servers?

No there was a population issue with every server being full and then they started adding more servers then increased the cap on the servers so more people could be on a server, now most of them people are long gone and now the servers are sagging from the size they once had.

Edited by Scerge

I don't understand why merging servers is a sign weakness. So they opened to many to soon, so what I was a mistake. Own up to it and merge some servers to get a better community going. Tarro Blood was an early access server and it is now dying. Give me transfers or a merge, just something.

a server merge is forced transfer of server for everyone on the old server.

Not everyones idea on what consitutes a low pop server is the same. (i.e. have seen someone raging they only have 150 people on fleet.. personally I am content with that) so server transfers is the best solution.

If a server population gets to ridiculously low level (which some maybe at the moment) then give them free transfers.

A guild transfer mechanism might also be nice.

The game seems pretty dead when I log in now, I haven't been on in over a week and neither have any of the 50+ people in the guild, and we're on one of the busier EU servers. Frightening how fast it died and how horribly the BW update and patching capability is of the most simple things that could improve game-play.

I was a gigantic SWTOR advocate and defender at first but everyone I know who plays is bored to hell with this game and is just waiting till 1.2 to see if there's any improvement whatsoever before jumping ship to GW2 or another MMO as soon as.

Sad really because I love the possibilities of this game, truly endless, but horrifically executed.

The game seems pretty dead when I log in now, I haven't been on in over a week and neither have any of the 50+ people in the guild, and we're on one of the busier EU servers. Frightening how fast it died and how horribly the BW update and patching capability is of the most simple things that could improve game-play.

I was a gigantic SWTOR advocate and defender at first but everyone I know who plays is bored to hell with this game and is just waiting till 1.2 to see if there's any improvement whatsoever before jumping ship to GW2 or another MMO as soon as.

Sad really because I love the possibilities of this game, truly endless, but horrifically executed.

I am on an EU server and certainly not one of the busiest but game does not feel dead. Either your lying and you are not on one of the busiest servers or else your perception of what consitutes a busy server is different than mine.

I raid most nights.. I PvP when I want without waiting. I can go on a FP when I want.. I am active and not having any problems grouping or playing. This all I could want from a server. I don't need 300 people all trying to kill the same mob as me for it to feel alive.

I am on an EU server and certainly not one of the busiest but game does not feel dead. Either your lying and you are not on one of the busiest servers or else your perception of what consitutes a busy server is different than mine.

I raid most nights.. I PvP when I want without waiting. I can go on a FP when I want.. I am active and not having any problems grouping or playing. This all I could want from a server. I don't need 300 people all trying to kill the same mob as me for it to feel alive.

Legions of Lettow, there's almost never more than 90 people on the Republic fleet on any night. So what if you can PvP when you want that doesn't make it busy. If you raid most nights and you say you're pugging you're lying through your teeth.

If you're doing it with a guild then you're in one of the only remaining guilds who are doing it before 1.2. To be honest you're just lying.

To be honest you're just lying.

straight out accusation with no facts.. nice one. Unable to fathom that someones experience is different from yours. You want to feel that the game is dying and busy servers are empty then that is your choice.

Not all servers have a good pop.. not saying they do. But don't call me a liar because I am enjoying the game on my standard server

Edited by corbanite

straight out accusation with no facts.. nice one. Unable to fathom that someones experience is different from yours. You want to feel that the game is dying and busy servers are empty then that is your choice.

Not all servers have a good pop.. not saying they do. But don't call me a liar because I am enjoying the game on my standard server

My friend there is plenty of evidence that 80% of the servers are dead. You can check for yourself in the server status tab. "Standard" pop starts with 30-40 in fleet, 15-20 level 50s and about 90 players a faction. That is just ridiculous..... Go check for yourself, it's a fact...

My friend there is plenty of evidence that 80% of the servers are dead. You can check for yourself in the server status tab. "Standard" pop starts with 30-40 in fleet, 15-20 level 50s and about 90 players a faction. That is just ridiculous..... Go check for yourself, it's a fact...

so you're saying any server that is standard or below is dead?

so you're saying any server that is standard or below is dead?

Yes that's what I'm saying, if you call this an MMO those servers are dead.

If you call this a single player game with multi-player features like say "Halo" then the servers are not dead.

Plus... most servers are light which is worse than Standard, Holy crap! yep ....

So a "Standard" tagged server is a dead server to you? For how long have "Standard" servers equaled dead servers then?

Yes that's what I'm saying, if you call this an MMO those servers are dead.

If you call this a single player game with multi-player features like say "Halo" then the servers are not dead.

I'm on a standard tagged server, the Progenitor EU. 90-100 on fleet, 20-60 on the planets. Not once has it felt like a single player game. No more than logging into WoW did, or running around Mos Eisley in SWG. What do you expect to see in TOR?

Plus... most servers are light which is worse than Standard, Holy crap! yep ....

EU right now - 19 light, 63 standard... most are light? What are you talking about? You do know people can just check this, right?

I'm on a standard tagged server, the Progenitor EU. 90-100 on fleet, 20-60 on the planets.

What would i give to have even those numbers on my server :(

Fleet caps at 20 people on peak hours, planets around 5-6.

No Warzones, no flashpoints, no operations. Void.

GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!

I'm on a standard tagged server, the Progenitor EU. 90-100 on fleet, 20-60 on the planets. Not once has it felt like a single player game. No more than logging into WoW did, or running around Mos Eisley in SWG. What do you expect to see in TOR?

EU right now - 19 light, 63 standard... most are light? What are you talking about? You do know people can just check this, right?

You do realize the numbers you are quoting are a joke right? you are so proud of having 100 people on that it's comical. This game is great for non-mmo players like you so stay here so you can be happy.

People are quitting is what I read from that post. However that's not why I'm posting. A funny thing is happening to my gaming sessions at the moment.

I'm getting lag! lol

Weird since I am aware of server load decreasing. Then how in the hell can I start to get lag?

I need no fix since the lag will go away by itself as they are wont to do but it is abit suss.

So a "Standard" tagged server is a dead server to you? For how long have "Standard" servers equaled dead servers then?
The community has no choice but to take his word for it, and/or that of his friends. Just ask him. Edited by GalacticKegger

James Ohlen's response to the character transfer question from PAX East:

"That is one of our #1 priorities right now. I walk into our programmer’s office and ask them everyday if we can get that feature out faster. So yes, it is coming soon. We need to make sure when you xfer over that it comes with everything like legacy, guild and all that stuff. It is not as easy as it might seem."

Edited by Averran
removed quote of deleted post