Guardian/juggernaut

Sentinel/Marauder

Scoundrel/Operative

Shadow/Assassin

Long Range DPS

Gunslinger/Sniper

Commando/Mercenary

Sage/Sorcerer

that's 5 melee for 3 range class available. In an operation, you don't want to go melee heavy, either balance melee/range raid comp or even range heavy is better.

I think there is a need for more range distance option among existing melee class to balance the game. The best candidate are vanguard/powertech and soundrel/operative.

PVE)

one question would arise, would this be unfair to the gunslinger/sniper if a scoundrel could be range distance and yet be able to cast some (weak) heal in dps spec. I'd say, commando/mercenary or sage/sorcerer are already in that position. jedi knight/sith warrior already have no heal compare to the scoundrel/operative.

Vanguard is ranged.

you're playing dps vanguard without a single ion pulse/stockstrike in your rotation?

suggested reading material http://vanguardbuilds.com/rotations.html

i wish it was a ranged class, or at least have a ranged tree, but both dps spec, if your playing them at range (about 30m with the other ranged class), you're hurting your raid/friend and holding them back. No, the truth is, vanguard is a close combat warrior, he will not be efficient at all above 10 meter range and can only shine within the 4m range for stockstrike.

By long range dps, i mean 30 m at least (in karraga, being able to dps the droid from the plateform, or on soa, being able to swtich to the mind trap without moving out of the melee range of soa for aoe healing)

Edited by Vankris

you're playing dps vanguard without a single ion pulse/stockstrike in your rotation?

suggested reading material http://vanguardbuilds.com/rotations.html

i wish it was a ranged class, or at least have a ranged tree, but both dps spec, if your playing them at range (about 30m with the other ranged class), you're hurting your raid/friend and holding them back. No, the truth is, vanguard is a close combat warrior, he will not be efficient at all above 10 meter range and can only shine within the 4m range for stockstrike.

By long range dps, i mean 30 m at least (in karraga, being able to dps the droid from the plateform, or on soa, being able to swtich to the mind trap without moving out of the melee range of soa for aoe healing)

Tank, but thats beside the point.

I use storm then stockstrike or some other close range ability then bug out to range.

anyway, everyone does play however they see fit, it's all good.

i don't want to (re)start a debate whether or not vanguard is a range class or not, i think that debate is better suited for the vanguard section of these forums.

The point i'm trying to make to the devs (and a suggestion) is this:

only 3 class in the game can be play at full potential at 30m range, out of the 8.

i think this is an imbalance and if possible should be corrected.

since both scoundrel and vanguard (and their empire counter part) have long range attack but weak one. If there was a possibility to tweak their talent tree so that that can chose to be either close or long range dps (as well as tank or heal respectively), that could bring balance to the game.

Interesting point you bring up!

IMHO Scoundrels are a good candidate for being made ranged, or more like just having a ranged skill tree so you could pick between a "throw explosives and shoot stuff" or a "whack, hit, and kick stuff" style. Maybe have the former be more AoE based and the latter stronger for single targets, or something.

They'd have to figure out the stealth issue though, and how it could be used for a ranged player. But then again, Scoundrel healers don't get much use out of stealth currently anyway and it can actually be detrimental to healing. And if you weren't spec'd properly then I can't imagine burst-y melee range stealth openers being worth using on a ranged class.

I made a Scoundrel to be a healer and in my newb-ness I foolishly assumed that if I picked a healing AC I would be ranged for not only healing but also damage and such. What an unpleasant realization that was! Needless to say, I am in a hurry to get my Sage leveled now that I am filling a DPS role. :p

• 2 years later...
Just be glad Snipers can't be TRUE Snipers where our range is determined by our scopes & whatnot.

They can't of course do that because there is no way to counter it in the game as designed.

In real life, there are many anti-sniper weapons, and the key of course is that if you kill a highly trained (and expensive) sniper, they stay dead. :)

How do people find these threads to necro is what I dont get....:confused:

I mean how bored to you have to be to scroll back that far on the thread count.

If he searched for the thread, why? Why comment 2 years later? So many questions....:confused:

Wow... at least he *did* search for the relevant topic, and not start "yet another thread about Xxxxxxx". Funny how some people are never happy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.