1 server per character?

DRanks

So you already know your server sucks after what, 5 days? I think the queues will go down after a few weeks when the game settles down a little. My advice: stick with the server for a few weeks. If you still think it sucks, then change.

Not small? This game trumped it on pre-releases.

Hehe, or if you come from EVE ... you are used to there only ever being ONE server. But you see, EVE can get away with that due to the vastness of space. Hard to put a million players into one server on a themepark mmo.

There are multiple servers to create community. The tighter the community, the more fun an MMO can be. One way to create tighter communities is to make many servers with smaller populations on them.

Once you find a server that gives you the right 'vibe', you stick with it, and enjoy your life there. Make friends, keep those friends, never worry about those friends abandoning you because they are impatient little *****s who jump ship the first instant they have to wait five seconds to pickup an item someone else grabbed.

You know? Just join a server, and enjoy it!

EVERY server is going to be under heavy, full, and queue by the end of this week. So jumping around now, isn't going to help ANYTHING.

Hehe, or if you come from EVE ... you are used to there only ever being ONE server. But you see, EVE can get away with that due to the vastness of space. Hard to put a million players into one server on a themepark mmo.

Not with phasing, really. And they already use that to keep numbers of people in one place manageable.

overall servers are important to a mmo it helps separate a huge player base, also means if a sever goes down its not everyone playing is effected and help create a smoother game and a more enjoyable one only exception to this rule is eve online as someone said already but due to the jump gate system in the game players are separated already which also made that a great game.

advice is to anyone is just wait there will be a rush of people playing for the next few weeks then it will die down a little and you wont have to wait as long.

great game thou :)

Little bit of information as there seems to be some confusion about what a "server" is.

- The different "servers" exist so that they can spread out the gaming population. (So you don't have a few million players bogging down a single "server". Can you imagine the lag that would cause?)

- Each server contains a COMPLETE copy of the entire SWTOR universe: all planets, quests, NPCs, everything.

- You never have to transition between servers when playing the game. All you need/have to do is available on "your" server.

- You can only communcate with people on "your" server.

- If you plan to play the game with real-life frieds, it is a good idea to agree before hand on a specific server and have everyone create a character on that server.

- You can create up to 8 characters on a server. From both factions. (Not sure how many characters you can have across all servers, but the number should be large enough that, under normal circumstances, you won't run into the limit. Unless you decide to test the limits :).)

- There is no additional cost for creating additional characters. You pay a monthly fee that gives you full access to all the game features.

Hope that helps.

Servers provide way more benefits than they hinder.

• Name Availability - if your name isn't available on one server, try another
  • PvP/RP - optional separation of PvP and RP communities (it's not segregation when both parties choose to be separate)
  • Location - if your connection is poor on one server, a server in a different location may prove better for you
  • Regular Communities - you're likely to see the same people on every day, so that chance encounter you may think you might not see again may very well turn up tomorrow standing next to you.

The only real downside to locked servers is being locked out when the server is full.

Edited by Pandabutt

yeah, but i know someone who works for blizzard in support. these changfes take seconds, and a few mouse clicks. total profiteering lol

not really. as someone mentioned. if they allowed this to be free, then people would do it all the time with no consequence to their actions on the server they 'visit'

it's put there to prevent bad behavior. . .not to turn a profit

Seriously this is a joke? I have to pay to transfer a character to another server?

This may be normal for WoW players, but coming from Eve online there is no need to transfer characters, nor is there any need to wait to log on. I was LOL when I realised this about this game, what a joke.

There is no explanation about these things to new players in the beginning and you have to learn these things the hard way, very poor delivery of this game, probably should of waited until next christmas to release the game instead of rushing it out.

Multiple servers is common place for pretty much every mmo EXCEPT eve online (which has a FAAAAAAR lower player base). It has nothing to do with 'rushing the game out' as you say. The biggest problem right now is that new players coming in at launch (as opposed to early access) are drawn like moths to flame to high population servers, thinking there's more players so it must be better. The truth is, every server is exactly the same as far as content goes, and once the populations even out, there should be virtually no difference other than WHO you play with (and it's easy enough to coordinate servers with friends). Edited by Natarii

Seriously this is a joke? I have to pay to transfer a character to another server?

This may be normal for WoW players, but coming from Eve online there is no need to transfer characters, nor is there any need to wait to log on. I was LOL when I realised this about this game, what a joke.

EVE has 1 server, with an average of 15,000-30,000 people online. WoW has probably around 5-8 MILLION people online at one time with 10.2M active subscriptions at this point. Do i REALLY need to highlight the stupidity related to comparing these 2 completely different gaming and technological situations?

There is no explanation about these things to new players in the beginning and you have to learn these things the hard way, very poor delivery of this game, probably should of waited until next christmas to release the game instead of rushing it out.

The 'hard way'??? The hard way is that you log onto a server, create a character, go onto another server and realize your character is limited to 1 server. If you're old enough to buy this game you're old enough to figure it out for yourself. The game delivery is fine, the problem is some players seem to have ceased to be capable of intelligent and independent thought, and i thought EVE players were among that group, obviously no longer. Jesus its like early access ALL OVER AGAIN....

You are serious right?? Do you actually dress and feed yourself? :D

Not everyone here has played MMO's before. A game like TOR is going to bring in a bunch of people because it's SW and won't understand how MMO's work.

Just in case the OP still has questions.

You can have upto 8 characters per server, and can have characters on as many servers as you want, so in theory you could have 8 per server... Which would be a whole lot of characters. :)

But once you make a character on a server you can't move them to a new one right now. They may allow you do it for a fee, or perhaps for free at some point in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they allow a limited time, free server transfer in a week or so.

Edited by VanorDM

yeah, but i know someone who works for blizzard in support. these changfes take seconds, and a few mouse clicks. total profiteering lol

On the front end it may take the CSR seconds to initiate a migration, but the actual process of moving all of the data relevant to that character from Database 1 to Database 2 is not going to be a quick thing.

A lot of people seem to think that there is one massive database for every server out there. Its more likely (I say more likely b/c I don't work for Bioware, but I do understand how server architecture and databases work) that each server has several databases. It may be that different parts of your characters info exists on different databases, or it could be that all of the info for your character exists several times across multiple installations of that servers database, or it could even be a combination of both. I won't get into the reasons that you would do these things, but given the amount of data that they're working with I'd say they have to be doing something along these lines.

The click to tell the system "Take character 23719485 from cluster 1 and move it to cluster 2" takes seconds, the system processing that request can take hours.

And to have something in this post to stay somewhat on topic. I've never seen an MMO that will allow you to simply move your character from server to server whenever you like. I've seen paid server transfers and even free transfers between specific servers, but that's it. This is pretty much standard for every AAA MMO out there (Rift, WoW, EVE, SWTOR, AOC, etc).