RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

Of course we need a better error handling, but I made it quickly so that at least people can see if something's wrong. We'll do something better a bit later.

EDIT: I don't understand my friends, what do you do, what are you trying to do?

I removed my reg key. Still I could choose a path, and get it to work right away... Please tell me the steps so I can reproduce and fix this right now.

Well did you only removed the key ("Install Dir")?

To fake a reinstallation of Windows after SWTOR was installed I renamed the "bioware" to "biowarer" in the PATH to the key so our program is unable to find the key, heck the whole path does not exists to the key.

Thus having

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\bioware[color="Red"]r[/color]\star wars-the old republic\Install Dir
Edited by Ocmer_

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well did you only removed the key ("Install Dir")?

To fake a reinstallation of Windows after SWTOR was installed I renamed the "bioware" to "biowarer" in the PATH to the key so our program is unable to find the key, heck the whole path does not exists to the key.

Thus having

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\bioware[color="Yellow"]r[/color]\star wars-the old republic\Install Dir

Yeah I removed install dir, i'll rename bioware too.

Here it is v2.6.2 :

* link removed, check newer version in the following posts*

Changelog:

- correct handling of drive letter in settings, checks also if the drive is unused if no setup is active

- don't store anymore a valid path in registry

- fixes in the settings save code where there was a flaw.

Edited by exca

Well I installed the program, then got the all in one C+ file. I put the unleashed folder on my desktop, ran as admin, and hit unleashed. Game launched, but noticing 0 difference. What exactly is this an attempt to improve?

I was really hoping it would make the loading screens faster, but they are still very very slow >.<:wea_04::wea_01::wea_04::wea_02:

Well I installed the program, then got the all in one C+ file. I put the unleashed folder on my desktop, ran as admin, and hit unleashed. Game launched, but noticing 0 difference. What exactly is this an attempt to improve?

I was really hoping it would make the loading screens faster, but they are still very very slow >.<:wea_04::wea_01::wea_04::wea_02:

If you use the program please use the 2.6.2 posted just before your post.

Improvements are : better FPS, lot less FPS drops (depending on what you mount in the ram drive). Depending on your RAM size, you should add :

- LocalApp

- DiskCacheArenaFX

- FX asset

- Dynamic assets

- specific assets

If you want faster loading times you must put in the ram drive specific assets of the areas you want to load fast. But this will quickly grow the size so unless you have 24GB ram or so you just can't put it all.

Just wanna say thank you to you guys who are working so hard on this. Your efforts ARE appreciated, even if we may not comment on every change you make :)

Thank you, each cheers give us motivation to go on :)

Still having the same issue with all versions passed 1.3 with not being able to save my UI and I have to run the repair in the launcher before running 1.3 again.

Why running the repair tool tbh, I don't know.

But, not to be able to save the UI (I think you mean the UI-customization) does this also include the general settings of the game? As the UI profiles are saved in the settings folder, it almost must be.

Download the newest version 2.6 from the mainpost, and try again and check after launching unleashed the following;

1. Does %localappdata% contain a linked folder called 'SWTOR'? (is a shortcut icon)
  2. Is a folder called 'settings' (with content and a folder 'GUIProfiles') created in the installpath of the game? (The place where also 'launcher.exe' exists)
  3. On the ramdisk is the path <ramdisk>\SWTOR\swtor\settings available?

1. is that settings folder a linked folder?
    2. can you open this folder and see the settings and folder you say when looking to the settings folder in the installpath?

Would be cool if you willing to try it again and provide this feedback, so we can try ot find and fix it for other users aswell.

Edited by Ocmer_

Still having the same issue with all versions passed 1.3 with not being able to save my UI and I have to run the repair in the launcher before running 1.3 again.

Any chance I can get a link to the 1.3 version of the program. I'm also having issues with my GUI saving getting wiped out by the new version. 1.3 had no issues at all. Seems windows cleaned out my recycle bin and now I lost 1.3 version.

Thanks so much.

Any chance I can get a link to the 1.3 version of the program. I'm also having issues with my GUI saving getting wiped out by the new version. 1.3 had no issues at all. Seems windows cleaned out my recycle bin and now I lost 1.3 version.

Thanks so much.

Even with 2.6 from the main post?

Can you please try to help us sort out your issue with the latest version please?

Ok....

I just tried again with 2.6. Clean install of SWTOR and clean install of unleashed 2.6. Game runs fine without unleashed. Saves all my GUI settings, client settings no problem. I run unleashed and can't access my swtor\settings folder at all. Says file can't be found. I tried to access it from both the ram disk and the appdata\local folder and everything. So I remove the ramdisk and restore everything back to pre-unleashed condition. I can now access my swtor folder again in the appdata\local section but when I open the folder, there is nothing in it. All my Client Settings is missing and GUI saved states are gone. Even my account settings is gone. Atleast this explains while running unleashed I always have to watch the movies when starting the game.

This program is erasing all my saved client/account/gui settings everytime it is ran.

Until this bug is fixed can I please get a link to 1.3 just so I can run the game with unleashed. I love the program in it's early form and hate that I can't use it.

Thanks

Ok....

I just tried again with 2.6. Clean install of SWTOR and clean install of unleashed 2.6. Game runs fine without unleashed. Saves all my GUI settings, client settings no problem. I run unleashed and can't access my swtor\settings folder at all. Says file can't be found. I tried to access it from both the ram disk and the appdata\local folder and everything. So I remove the ramdisk and restore everything back to pre-unleashed condition. I can now access my swtor folder again in the appdata\local section but when I open the folder, there is nothing in it. All my Client Settings is missing and GUI saved states are gone. Even my account settings is gone. Atleast this explains while running unleashed I always have to watch the movies when starting the game.

This program is erasing all my saved client/account/gui settings everytime it is ran.

Until this bug is fixed can I please get a link to 1.3 just so I can run the game with unleashed. I love the program in it's early form and hate that I can't use it.

Thanks

Your settings shouldn't be gone. They should be stored in gamefolder\settings since 2.x instead of localapp\SWTOR_ORIGINAL. When you press remove it should restore it to original localapp\swtor folder.

Edited by exca

Your settings shouldn't be gone. They should be stored in gamefolder\settings since 2.x instead of localapp\SWTOR_ORIGINAL. When you press remove it should restore it to original localapp\swtor folder.

when I run unleashed I have no folder called settings in my gamefolder. And no, it's not restoring my localapp\swtor folder. As I'm typing this I have unleashed running and I'm looking inside the gamefolder right now. Nothing in here has a settings folder or my game, gui, client settings at all.

when I run unleashed I have no folder called settings in my gamefolder. And no, it's not restoring my localapp\swtor folder. As I'm typing this I have unleashed running and I'm looking inside the gamefolder right now. Nothing in here has a settings folder or my game, gui, client settings at all.

Ok we will look into it if you sure there was never a settings folder created in the installpath.

I don't know if you started retail again after removing, so SWTOR can recreate the settings folder and tried again running unleashed.

Was a bit easier for us aswell if you could answer the questions in this post as it has a step by step overview for us. In the meantime I can look around for 1.3 source to build it again, once I get to my main pc. But then again I would appreciate if you continue to test newer versions aswell and give feedback if the problem got solved.

Can you please give me the content of your swtorunleashed.xml file please?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<AddDiskCacheArena>true</AddDiskCacheArena>

<AddExtraSpace>true</AddExtraSpace>

<AddLocalApp>true</AddLocalApp>

<AddPTS>false</AddPTS>

<ComputerName>MEROVINGIAN-PC</ComputerName>

<GameDirectory>E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic</GameDirectory>

<IsSetup>true</IsSetup>

<LocalAppDirectory>C:\Users\Merovingian\AppData\Local</LocalAppDirectory>

<RamDriveDevice>0</RamDriveDevice>

<RamDriveLetter>82</RamDriveLetter>

<RamDriveSize>4243</RamDriveSize>

<AssetFileNames>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_fx_1</string>

</AssetFileNames>

</Settings>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
 <AddDiskCacheArena>true</AddDiskCacheArena>
 <AddExtraSpace>true</AddExtraSpace>
 <AddLocalApp>true</AddLocalApp>
 <AddPTS>false</AddPTS>
 <ComputerName>MEROVINGIAN-PC</ComputerName>
 <GameDirectory>E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic</GameDirectory>
 <IsSetup>true</IsSetup>
 <LocalAppDirectory>C:\Users\Merovingian\AppData\Local</LocalAppDirectory>
 <RamDriveDevice>0</RamDriveDevice>
 <RamDriveLetter>82</RamDriveLetter>
 <RamDriveSize>4243</RamDriveSize>
 <AssetFileNames>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1</string>
   <string>swtor_main_art_fx_1</string>
 </AssetFileNames>
</Settings>

Hmm seeing you played this game from an upgrade from beta, as your path the xml file has is

E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic

Are you sure the path is correct and has no spaces around the "-" in the path? (this was at beta ;p)

Edited by Ocmer_

1. Does %localappdata% contain a linked folder called 'SWTOR'? (is a shortcut icon)

No. I looked in all of the sub-folders also just to make sure. Nothing there is a SWTOR except for my original folder that isn't linked.

2. Is a folder called 'settings' (with content and a folder 'GUIProfiles') created in the installpath of the game? (The place where also 'launcher.exe' exists)

No. Check in my install directory and all subfolder and nothing with settings, GUI profiles, client settings or anything.

3. On the ramdisk is the path <ramdisk>\SWTOR\swtor\settings available?

No. Although I can see the path and folder, but once I click on settings fold on the ramdisk I get "R:\SWTOR\swtor\settings refers to a location that is unavailable."

1. is that settings folder a linked folder?

Yes. When I check the properties of the link, it targets to the settings folder that is supposed to be in the game install path. The same folder that I am unable to find.

2. can you open this folder and see the settings and folder you say when looking to the settings folder in the installpath?

No. As stated above I get the "R:\SWTOR\swtor\settings refers to a location that is unavailable."

Hmm seeing you played this game from an upgrade from beta, as your path the xml file has is

E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic

Are you sure the path is correct and has no spaces around the "-" in the path? (this was at beta ;p)

Actually I have done a complete windows 7 reinstall and complete clean swtor download re-install since beta. So not sure why it looks like a beta upgrade. As for the spaces around the "-".....yes I'm looking at it now and there is no space around them. Might that be the issue? should I manually change the name of that folder?