RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

sitting and pathcing for 1,2 atm and have never used this program before but a surgestion

Fraps you setting up the program?

i for one am a ******* to setup even the simplest things from text alone. i can borrow my youtube account and upload the frapsed "movie" if that should be a problem id love to support this initiativ

Can do at some point ye, but I do that when the new version of the program is ready. Because it will change quite a bit. But then again, for version 1.3 you just open the program, mark the things you want on the ramdisk, press the setup button. After that the launch button should be clickable, which will mount the ramdisk and launch the game.

From this point you have to use the program to start the game, unless you remove the setup by pressing the remove button.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

knowing how simple things i can **** up i adepted the way of thinking thats "always expect ppl to be stupid thus they wont dissapoint you" :)

ay' read it and seems simple but im the one that triple checks and having text video and forum gives me the triple ^^

Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content/old post

i'm using SWTOR unleashed.

when i define my setup i then have to click the Launch SWTOR Unleashed button. all is done (ramdrive is created, files are moved, links are created etc) and it works.

and now i would like to revert the changes and play without the ramdrive. i click dismount ramdrive button and the program closes itself. ramdrive is gone but the whole setup is still there. so i have to restart the program.

if i click the remove button the setup is reversed but the ramdrive is still there and the dismount ramdrive button is grayed out.

my question is:

is there something i'm missing or is it designed this way?

PS You have a typo on the button for Launch SWTOR Unleashed. You missed h ;)

edit:

i think i found a possible reason why it is that way:

so that if i would like to play with ramdrive and some time after without i wouldn't have to recreate ramdrive and recopy all the files. if so then an option to remove ramdrive with the whole setup would be nice :)

Edited by yaworr

i'm using SWTOR unleashed.

when i define my setup i then have to click the Launch SWTOR Unleashed button. all is done (ramdrive is created, files are moved, links are created etc) and it works.

and now i would like to revert the changes and play without the ramdrive. i click dismount ramdrive button and the program closes itself. ramdrive is gone but the whole setup is still there. so i have to restart the program.

if i click the remove button the setup is reversed but the ramdrive is still there and the dismount ramdrive button is grayed out.

my question is:

is there something i'm missing or is it designed this way?

PS You have a typo on the button for Launch SWTOR Unleashed. You missed h ;)

edit:

i think i found a possible reason why it is that way:

so that if i would like to play with ramdrive and some time after without i wouldn't have to recreate ramdrive and recopy all the files. if so then an option to remove ramdrive with the whole setup would be nice :)

Mah just a small bug, forgot to add dismount ramdisk to the removal process. A reboot would have removed the ramdisk anyway. Version 2.0 will have more options to do in the program. Dismounting was pure for people that dismount ramdrive between gamesession.

Apologies if this has already been reported, but in 1.2 if you enable the "Add local SWTOR" option, you are unable to save custom UI layouts.

Hmm with 1.3.0 (I guess you mean with 1.2 the patch) I have no problem to save or load costom UI files. As these files are stored in the "GUIProfiles" that is placed in the settings folder there is no extra requirement needed as of patch 1.2.

The only reason I can think of that the "linkback" from the ramdisk has failed for you but this also means the game cannot load settings aswell (as the game cannot find the settings folder).

Let's say your ramdisk is T: then the following folder, "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" should be a link (looks like a shortcut) that goes to "%localappdata%\SWTOR_Original\swtor\settings".

The game then will automatically place the folder GUIProfiles, in the folder settings in local app.

Ok I am pretty sure the link still in Local appdata is the problem you have now.

@Jobeleca

Please try to remove the setup manually, like I described in a post before for Comedicgrudge. Also Jobeleca are you also using mac with bootcamp?

Anyway I give my apologies for any inconvience the program couses you two, I still try to understand what went wrong with you two but honestly I don't quite get it atm. Maybe version 2.0 will have it solved as it has quite some improvements.

Ps. It seems like the created settings file was not saved correctly or was corrupted.

Men you doing a great job for the community, dont worry about those trolls. They dont even read the forum, where you have over and over explain the advantages of using the ram with the SSD card. Keep up the good work.

Ok,i had to make settings every time with ramdisk active,also couldnot create custom UI settings.Please ,make step to step walktrough for those issues (some folders not linked properly probably).

On side note,using 256 gb Samsung 830 ssd,its fast definitely by itself,but ramdisk helped too.(60 fps all maxxed and vertical sync 1920X1200)

Edited by mbauglir

Ok,i had to make settings every time with ramdisk active,also couldnot create custom UI settings.Please ,make step to step walktrough for those issues (some folders not linked properly probably).

There is not really a walktrough needed, as you only have to select what you want on the ramdisk, press setup, and then "start SWTOR Unleased" button will become active. Once you press this it will mount the ramdisk if needed, and start the game.

Please note that if the program detects that the selected ramdisk letter during setup is already active, that it skips the whole creaton of the ramdisk (including links). So let the program create the ramdrive, and dont create it yourself before you press unleashed.

Do you know in which of those files the map data for the Republic Fleet and the warzones are included?

Hmm don't know, I did not do a reasearch on what asset files are used in area's. I just used a post from the old thread. Anyway open the spoiler tag on the bottom is for Ilum and Alderaan civil wz.

Placing area asset files on the ramdisk only will increase loadtimes, but then again I do not know for sure, as I don't place them on my ramdisk. Just try it out yourself or get a diskactivity record program and found out yourself ;)

Yeah, I know.

I just play pvp so decreasing the loading times would help very much^^.

I tried several files but none of them were the right one.

Would take some time to test all of them.

That's why I said you can use a program to log certain disk activity. Just start logging and start a warzone match. Also if you play in windowed mode you watch diskactivity live aswell.

Open op "task manager", go to the tap "Performance", click the button "Resource Monitor".

Once in this, go to the tap "Disk", and sort "read (B/sec)" now you can easy see what files are being read quite hard.

That's why I said you can use a program to log certain disk activity. Just start logging and start a warzone match. Also if you play in windowed mode you watch diskactivity live aswell.

Open op "task manager", go to the tap "Performance", click the button "Resource Monitor".

Once in this, go to the tap "Disk", and sort "read (B/sec)" now you can easy see what files are being read quite hard.

That only shows swtor.exe and not the specific files. Or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Venjirai

That only shows swtor.exe and not the specific files. Or am I doing something wrong?

You probarly was looking at "processes with disk activity", if you scroll down a bit (or minimize that "tab") you will see a "tab" just named "disk activity".

Edit; And look then at the file that is being accessed rather than the image name.

Edited by Ocmer_

Is it normal when i´m starting the Game with the "Launch SWTOR Unleased" button that i have to redownload the Patch?

Only if you do a repair... Need to unmount and remove the swtor Unleashed on patch days or repairs.

Is it normal when i´m starting the Game with the "Launch SWTOR Unleased" button that i have to redownload the Patch?

There was a mini patch (not the 1.2 patch) after 1.2.

Only if you do a repair... Need to unmount and remove the swtor Unleashed on patch days or repairs.

Yes indeed, I had to remove the setup, and I only had the fx asset file on it, which means that one got updated. Remember it only returns an error when it wants to patch a specific asset file you have linked to the ramdisk.

Edited by Ocmer_

Well, i found this Thread Today ^^

I´ve patched already yesterday :/ now ...when i choose all that i want in my RAMDISK and Launch the Game it wants to Patch again. Okay Let him Patch i thought. But then an Error occurs. Can´t Start the game with the Program.

I´ve got enough Power, but what really is annoying me are the Loading Times... it takes too long. I have SWTOR installed on the Crucial m4 128GB.