RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

Hello guys, i got a problem...

i removed all previous setups, i was just using the batch files till yet.

And if i try to do anything with the Unleashed program it just crashes..

getting message program is not working anymore, no matter what button i use.

At the moment i dont have anything from Ramdisc installed, everything is normal but the programm doesnt even set ramdisc or even does anything : /

can u help me pls?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment i dont have anything from Ramdisc installed, everything is normal but the programm doesnt even set ramdisc or even does anything : /

can u help me pls?

1st pc broken

u poor guy

can u help me pls?

Can you please clarify the error or post the debug message.

If the program returns an error saying you need to install Imdisk, well install it.

Edit, if you removed the setup (from the batch [r]) did you check if retail SWTOR is working correctly again and that you have all settings ect ect.

Edited by Ocmer_

game is running normally, imdisc is installed, like i said i used to use the batchfiles from you.

but the Unleashed programm just doenst do anything if i try to setup ramfiles and click on save settings, nothing happen (waited for 15min) if i click on save aggain it says

"Invalid settings, save refused."

if i click on start retail or start unleashed or remove and quit the programm crashes

"programm stopped working"

i used DiscCacheArea, LocalApp, FX-files and dynamic-files

Edited by Scyyze

SWTOR Unleashed v2.4

This program is written in C# (.net) and has an easy grapical user interface to start the game with an ramdisk setup.

This will allow users to select certain files (depending on their internal ram) what they want to have on the ramdisk.

Please read before using

This progam requires administrator rights to run, thus for those that have UAC enabled will receive this warning to allow the program full acces. This is needed bacause the program will move, rename, delete files and on top of that it needs to create a ramdisk and links.

The program will create an additional file (at the same location as the program) that is called 'SwtorUnleashed.xml'. This files has the users settings stored and the state of the setup. It is most important that you do not move, delete, rename or edit this file nor you will do anything manually with the game files. If you do this, it can create trouble for the removal process of the setup.

Also please be aware when using asset files on the ramdisk that the game can return an error when it wants to patch certain asset files. To avoid this (with the current program) please remove the setup prior patching, patch the game, check if it runs correctly and then reapply the setup again.

Download SWTOR Ramdisk

Note; Please remove any active setup prior using this program. This also includes those who used an older version of the program and updates now a newer version.

Passing arguments

This program accepts three different arguments that can control the program without showing an GUI.

You can create a shortcut to the program and give one of the arguments after the quoted path with a space.

For example the program is placed in; C:\SWTOR Unleashed v2.x\SWTOR Unleashed.exe

Thus the shortcut target will be; "C:\SWTOR Unleashed v2.x\SWTOR Unleashed.exe" argument

The three possible arguments are;

• unleashed ; this will start SWTOR with a ramdisk setup
  • retail ; this will start SWTOR without a ramdisk setup
  • remove ; this will dismount and remove an active setup

Note; for those that don't know, to get the shortcut target rightclick on the shortcut and select 'Properties'. Navigate to the tab 'Shortcut' if it isn't showing by default. There you should find an already filled in textbox 'Target:', just go to the end of the string and place the space and argument behind it.

Creators

Ocmer_ and Exca

With problems or bugs please post them in this thread rather than giving us a PM.

Changelog

• Version 2.4 ; 2012-04-16

• [NEW] New program architecture and simple "unstyled" GUI
    • [NEW] Ability to start retail SWTOR (no ramdisk)
    • [NEW] Program accepts arguments to do an action without showing an GUI
    • [NEW] Only one instance of the program can run at a time
    • [CHN] Separated the settings GUI from the main GUI
    • [CHN] Copies settings to installpath rather than renaming local SWTOR
    • [CHN] Changed the program name to "SWTOR Unleashed"
    • [CHN] Program setup/removes and mounts/dismounts according to the selected action
    • [CHN] Uses ImdiskNet.dll and control Imdisk
    • [CHN] Settings file renamed to "SwtorUnleashed.xml", added extra needed information
    • [CHN] Default ramdiskletter is now "R:", as more consistent with the r of ramdisk
    • [FIX] Removal of the setup will also dismount the ramdisk if present

[*]Version 1.3.0 ; 2012-04-07

• [CHN] "Mount" renamed to "Launch SWTOR Unleased" (mount and closes the program)
  • [CHN] "Dismount" renamed to "Dismount Ramdisk" (dismount and closes the program)
  • [CHN] User can no longer select local application data path
  • [FIX] Dismount error when setup was done with a non-captial letter
  • [REM] Removed selection box for auto launch and close
  • [REM] Removed selection of local app data

[*]Version 1.2.0 ; 2012-04-03

• [NEW] User can now mount and dismount ramdisk with the program itself
  • [NEW] In setup program ability to close itself after mounting or dismounting
  • [CHN] Changed name of settings file to "ProgramSettings.xml"
  • [REM] Removed the creation of batchscripts and associated button

[*]Version 1.1.0 ; 2012-04-01

• [NEW] Ability to select PTS asset files and prepare ramdisk for PTS
  • [NEW] Button to recreate the batchscripts, in case of lost
  • [CHN] Program icon
  • [CHN] Removing the setup will keep the settings file
  • [CHN] PTS asset files are hidden by default
  • [CHN] Internal data handling
  • [CHN] Starting ramdisk size is now 50MB for filesystem and disk vs file size differences
  • [CHN] By this Local cache size down to 266MB from 300MB, local+arena+fx is now exactly 1,5GB
  • [FIX] Overflow exception when selecting normal+pts asset files

[*]Version 1.0.1 ; 2012-03-27

• [REV] Code revision and cleanup by exca

[*]Version 1.0.0 ; 2012-03-25

• [NEW] Initial release "SwtorRamdisk", generates batchscripts to use

Anything I try just give me "Invalid settings, save refused."

For people who can't run the tool : you need .NET Framework 4.0 or more to run it.

The error you get is that before saving, the tool checks if:

- the setting file is your computer's (by comparing computer name and the one in the settings file)

- ramdrive calculated size is > 0

- the selected game directory is valid (contains launcher.exe)

- has a valid local app directory

- if the setup is "on", checks if the ramdrive letter is the correct one pointed in the settings file too

- each asset referenced exists

You can check the content of the xml file to make sure it's fine or not since we don't display the computer name and detected local app folder. But I will add the display since I don't like users to mess with settings files.

If any of these conditions isn't met => won't save since it's an invalid conf. Since it's not clear enough for you we can implement messagebox with leads on what's wrong.

In the mean time you can delete the faulty swtorunleashed.xml file and try to run it again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by exca

@Scyyze @IhaveNoGod,

Thanks for the feedback and we will look into it.

Also you can check this out in the meanwhile (at it can trow this error at these points);

1. Is the ramdisk already mounted prior saving? (try after a fresh computer boot)
  2. Did you changed computer name? (highly unlikely)
  3. Try to manually select the installpath in settings.

Aight maybe we should build in more feedback in a near release, working on functionalty bugs atm. @Exca checking for local SWTOR is not reliable as the a fresly installed game would not even have this folder.

Edit; beaten by Exca this time xD

Further note to Scyyze, it is normal that saving settings does nothing (well it does remove any active setup once pressed save and the settings are accepted). Once you press save, you should be taken back to the main interface, and select launch unleashed or retail from here on. Only then the program does the real things.

Edited by Ocmer_

2.4 for me clears out my swtor appdata settings folder (no idea where it goes or what it does with it) and the save settings dialog wont close. The settings xml file is created with default values. Edited by BEHUB

2.4 for me clears out my swtor appdata settings folder (no idea where it goes or what it does with it) and the save settings dialog wont close. The settings xml file is created with default values.

A default settings file is created at first run of the program (eg there is no file in the directory of the program) and is only adjusted then when an user presses save. So after you entered some settings and click the save button it does nothing? Will look into it if it is, as I have no idea atm but maybe Exca if he reads this. Usual people get invalid settings error.

Anyway the local SWTOR is deleted if the program is being started in unleashed and then a link is created, and the settings folder can be found back in the root folder of the game itself (installation path).

Well program is internally good now, working on general bugs and extending error reporting/handling for the user as we noticed already it quite lacks the feedback (especially extending errors at saving the settings).

Just FYI, this clears out all of my user settings as well and doesn't seem to replace them. I have tested it and I experience a complete loss of all users settings when the following occurs:

-Initial run using the "Unleashed" Button. If I continue using the unleashed button the settings seem to continue to be saved (after the initial purge).

-After using "Remove and Quit"

-After change any settings and choosing "Save Apply and Close"

-After choosing "SWTOR Retail".

Fortunately I figured this out after the second try and made a backup copy of my user settings. I have been restoring all my settings every time I make a change. On windows 7 64 bit. UAC is not disabled but set to no notifications.

with 2.5?

when you save settings, a directory named "settings" should appear in your game folder. When you use remove, it should disappear and make the localapp/swtor/swtor/settings reappear with your settings in it.

Whatever happens when you remove and quit, it should push the settings back to the local app folder from the game's "settings" folder.

Edited by exca

2.5 still has the same problem. The AppData swtor folder is cleaned out and i am unable to find where my settings went. The settings dialog does not close when you hit save just like in 2.4

Using ProcessMonitor i see a few errors occuring when i hit save like this ..

6:46:28.5091507 AM SwtorUnleashed.exe 2548 CreateFile D:\Settings NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

Why it is trying to create the settings folder on the root of my secondary drive is interesting. My game is currently under 'D:\Games\SWTOR'

Shame you haven't got the code hosted somewhere. I am a .net developer myself ;)

2.5 still has the same problem. The AppData swtor folder is cleaned out and i am unable to find where my settings went. The settings dialog does not close when you hit save just like in 2.4

Using ProcessMonitor i see a few errors occuring when i hit save like this ..

Why it is trying to create the settings folder on the root of my secondary drive is interesting. My game is currently under 'D:\Games\SWTOR'

Shame you haven't got the code hosted somewhere. I am a .net developer myself ;)

I have tested with 2.5 and am experiencing the same issue. It doesn't seem to actually copy the settings file anywhere before deleting it. I created a video showing the process and associated folders and will post it shortly if you find that it helps. I am also a .net (c#) developer and would love to help out in any way I can.

They go to game_installation_folder\settings

Maybe can you post the content of your swtorunleashed.xml file?

It's doesn't save out the changes to the XML file which could be part of the problem. The defaults in the XML never change upon hitting the save button.

I have been using a ramdisk with the entire game folder and all assets and I still get fps issues, but I hadn't thought to create a symbolic link to the AppData folder. +rep to you good sir, and this is an order of magnitude above all info from BW. Possibly the most useful thread on the forums.

Are you using 2.5 or 2.6? If so you should get an error message indicating the reason why it doesn't save or something... Do you start the tool with admin rights?

Tried 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6. I am running with admin rights. No error message at all.