RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exca, that is good news. For someone who hasn't tried this before but has 12GB RAM - more than I need for anything other than video editing, what type of improvements are you noticing?

For me it is also the FPS improvement but mostly the very short FPS drops (hitching) when game needs new data, solved this for me.

Anyway busy ordering the code now, while exca looks around to make an fancy UI. Also to addition to what exca announced to his autolaunch no gui, I try to add argument calling by for example shortcut. Thus people can directly control the program what to do by shortcut.

Edited by Ocmer_

Hello, and thanks for this software, i wonder if you could tell me what file SWTOR uses to open the bags/cargo bay so i can load that on the the ramdisk, that seems to be the only thing left that causes me problems, as in takes a while for it to open and stutters.

Thanks

Bonziuk

Edited by Bonziuk

Hello, and thanks for this software, i wonder if you could tell me what file SWTOR uses to open the bags/cargo bay so i can load that on the the ramdisk, that seems to be the only thing left that causes me problems, as in takes a while for it to open and stutters.

Thanks

Bonziuk

To be honest I have no idea in what asset file that is stored. It is more or less trial and error I guess. I quickly looked trough the asset files and noticed this file that maybe hold icon data, seeing the 37MB size can be right.

swtor_main_art_misc_1.tor

Just try some asset files that have some particuar name that can't be really placed what it is.

I apologize if this has already been asked. Are there Asset Files for the 3 PVP warzones?

It's not been asked here but someone posted it in the old thread that got burried.

Anyway he mentioned something like;

• swtor_main_area_alderaan_1.tor, alderaan civil war wz
  • swtor_main_area_nar_shaddaa_1.tor, huttball wz
  • swtor_main_area_hoth_1.tor, ilum pvp (seems strange but hoth/ilum shares)

Also you can try;

• Character animation (dynamic armor are still being used way more);
    • swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bfab_1.tor
    • swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bfns_1.tor
    • swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bmaf_1.tor
    • swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bmns_1.tor

[*]Other random reads by warzones

• swtor_main_area_misc_1.tor
    • swtor_main_art_area_all_item_1.tor
    • swtor_main_area_hutta_1.tor
    • swtor_main_art_weapon_1.tor
    • swtor_main_gfx_1.tor

Edited by Ocmer_

My fps in republic fleet base has gone from mid 20s to upper 50s! This was definitely worth doing

Works great on my 12gb system, Thanks! Textures no longer pop and fleet seems to lag less!

awsome tool, provided with with 20+ FPS in WZ's and imperial fleet.

Good to hear it had some positive effect for the gameplay of SWTOR.

Edited by Ocmer_

Ramdisks are unnecessary.

SSD >

Yeah, no. At best an SSD is 1/10th the speed of RAM. there is a reason things are loaded in to RAM for the CPU to access. This takes advantage of that inherent speed advantage.

Hi fellows,

I'm working hard on the new version of the GUI evolving from Windows Forms (C# 2.0) to WPF (C# 3.x and 4.x). Not only this, I'm reworking the whole architecture and the underlying code to get it more robust and maintainable.

I don't hope to have a nice looking GUI soon though. I'm doing something that works and can get updated cleanly. I have 2 infographists friends working on the user interface in the mean time. I hope you will all like the result of this joint work.

Maybe the force be with us, always! XD

I am trying to give this thing a shot and the link for SWTOR Unleashed is not working for me. Can you confirm the link is still working?

It is linking to a dropbox account, but the link gives me nothing. Manually copying the address into the url field is the same.

EDIT- Link is working now, I am up and running and seeing gains in FPS on my iMac 27" 12gb RAM. Thanks!

Edited by Comedicgrudge

What about people operating a 32bit os with 4gb. Is it possible to set the remainder of their ram as paging file with priority for tor?

Using pagefile as ram is a no-go in terms of this solution, as pagefile is stored on a HDD/SSD while we want to have files specificly on the ram.

On that Imdisk has the possibility to use aweloc using the extra ram that is available above the 3.2GB ram, but that has to be looked at in the future. Were first reworking our program to be quite functional for 64bit and after that we will see what the community asks.

Also for the moment, people can follow the manual method and use a ramdisk program that also uses ram above the cap on 32bit systems.

I am trying to give this thing a shot and the link for SWTOR Unleashed is not working for me. ...

Hmm maybe Dropbox website was down at the time you first tried. But indeed the program is stored in my public Dropbox folder. I selected this over the hassle to upload something to another site, which usually has "wait x seconds" and "are you human" shizzle.

Using pagefile as ram is a no-go in terms of this solution, as pagefile is stored on a HDD/SSD while we want to have files specificly on the ram.

Sorry I/you missed you/me there. I meant the extra 416mb of my ram acting as extra pagefile. I can do it since I've done it before, think it's easily done in properties of the ram drive, but I was wondering if there would be a way to set priority specifically for TOR. I'll look into it, maybe do some tests if possible.

I might just buy another stick of ram since it's dirt cheap, thank god I only bought a single channel at the time ^^

BTW, wouldn't having no paging file (virtual memory) also be effective? With 8GB at least ofc. This would obviously only help with rendering issues etc.

BTW, wouldn't having no paging file (virtual memory) also be effective? With 8GB at least ofc. This would obviously only help with rendering issues etc.

I don't know, I'll have a look if pagefile is being used by SWTOR when I get the chance to raid tonight. I have 6GB total and use 1.5GB for the ramdrive, so giving my system only 4.5GB effective ram.

PS. just found out my pagefile is placed on a HDD while my OS is on an SSD ...

I don't know, I'll have a look if pagefile is being used by SWTOR when I get the chance to raid tonight. I have 6GB total and use 1.5GB for the ramdrive, so giving my system only 4.5GB effective ram.

PS. just found out my pagefile is placed on a HDD while my OS is on an SSD ...

Would change that over asap :p

It seems that TOR uses around 1.4GB+ PF judging from the increase in usage when I load the game, and isn't affected by changing from small to large maps.

Would change that over asap :p

It seems that TOR uses around 1.4GB+ PF judging from the increase in usage when I load the game, and isn't affected by changing from small to large maps.

Hmm did raid, and there was no diskactivity surrounding SWTOR using pagefile for me. Tho at the start background programs got assigned a bit of pagefile hence the increase. But overall I did not see SWTOR accessing the disk for pagefile. (did interval checks, no logger).

Altough I'm still wondering why it reads so much the dynamic asset files (the whole raid, reads continued on these files), you would guess it would already be loaded in DiskCacheArena, but I guess its not.

I just sent Ocmer a preview of the new launcher. I think we need at least 2 days to complete the basic functionalities. Then we will probably release near friday the new WPF version if everything seems ok to us. Then will begin the UI work by designers.

Damned, I don't have time to play the game anymore since I started on this lol.

I have a vertex 3 SSD and 12 gigs ram... I'll try this, should be interesting to see the difference.

PS: Does seem kinda faster with the default FX + Dynamic + cache + local SWTOR settings, gonna try to add 8 gigs or data without adding planets themselves.

Edited by Strangefate

So I had this all up and running great last night, worked very well. Today I went to log in and found I could seem to launch swtor unleashed - its just greyed out. Just trying to boot the game gives me a missing files message. Thinking through what I did last night I realized I never dismounted the Ramdisk. Since the program is moving key files into ram and I did not dismount the drive I am worried I just wiped out major files along with anything loaded into ram when I shutdown my computer. Please tell me I don't need to run this 28gig download again. . .