Smugglers rising

IIDarkHoundII

Harkern rift (eu french serveur), started a voidstar a few days ago... I check the team and WHooot we are six scoundrel of all kind out of eight.

What a game, we won by a huge margin but that was not the best. Never did I have a game we so much giggling. Laugher was had all the time during the entire match. And probes all flying all around. Whoot

In a word, we won with style :)

Last night, in the wee small hours where warzones get a little weird, I was part of a seven smuggler Huttball team. It's the second time that's happened in a week. Smugglers aren't hugely popular on our server, but the late-night PvPers seem to really enjoy them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is called "mirroring", I suppose, though no real reasons were ever given. IA had their ranged tank screwed even before (probably - before release), I was hell surprised to know Kaliyo jumps with a rifle and that's the way IAs live. Now Corso will jump too. 4X does not jump, but I suppose it's a matter of time (and YES vanguards may have TWO harpoons)...I already got tired of posting and arguing over this change... We never ever had a "golden" line, exept for initial "working as intended". I don't think reversing is possible.

It's hard for me to log on my smugler now, too many small irritating things about 1.2. Which actually kill enthusiasm a lot, though none of those is really "game-breaking".

I actually was going to unsub for a while, but my good husband put some creds on my "gaming" visa and did not warn me, and I found it out only when it charged another month instead of freezing due to lack of money, lol.

It may be frustrating from a mechanical perspective, but it really seems to fit Kaliyo's character. To me, anyone who starts combat by yelling "Dibs on the head!" should be charging into danger.

Edited by signahead

I don't have a problem winning warzones. I have problems with getting pickups to do simple things like flashpoints and heroics that just make you question what Bioware does with the mathmatics that they don't see the boots on the ground problems that anyone playing classes in game can see and feel.

I have the opposite experience regarding fps, heroics and ops -- I am on a relatively high population server (second in pop, according to the latest stats), but there aren't that many smugglers around. I'm constantly getting random whispers to help with fps and ops while I'm standing around the fleet waiting for a pvp match to pop.

Also, there's only two lvl50 smuggler AC in our guild. Me and this other guy. Both gunslinger. There was a third one, a scoundrel, but he left for some reason. All the rest are jedis and troopers.

I'm the only level 50 gunslinger in my guild, which has quite a few 50s otherwise. The only other level 50 smuggler is a healing-speced scoundrel. Needless to say, I do quite a lot of ops and pvp with my guildmates.

Using a hybrid spec atm (level 36), 11/16/0, went far enough into Sawbones to pick up Slow Release Med-Pack, and put the rest in Scrapper.

Do you have a link to that spec? I'm leveling a scoundrel now, and want him to be an off-healer but still do decent damage.

Edited by jsalemi

Do you have a link to that spec? I'm leveling a scoundrel now, and want him to be an off-healer but still do decent damage.

This is a link to Wohast's Hybrid Spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701rfcMdh0kzZMI0RdkM.1

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about leveling through this spec. Might be good to go for SRM as Tarinex said and then flesh out Scrapper.

This is a link to Wohast's Hybrid Spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701rfcMdh0kzZMI0RdkM.1

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about leveling through this spec. Might be good to go for SRM as Tarinex said and then flesh out Scrapper.

If it is for PvE purpose, you should get rid of Sedative. Because its debuff makes mobs aggro on you (even you are still in stealth and away from normal agro range) when the cc duration worn out or you cc other mobs. Unless you are going to clear every single pack of mobs on the map, cc with sedative will screw you up when a bunch of mobs suddenly starts chasing you from nowhere.:mad:

Something I've noticed is there are many (more?) low-level smugglers on my server, but not too many 50's.

I think it's mostly that people didn't want a smuggler as their main, so almost all the new smugglers are the alts of people who want to see what it's like.

Apparently most aren't sticking with it... :-\

I have to say, it does kind of surprise me how unpopular Smugglers are, considering they're "the Han Solo" archetype. Though to be honest, I haven't found the class story all that enthralling, at least up to level 22. Maybe it gets better eventually.

Gameplay considerations always trump archtypes. Tera looks fun despite not having a stealth class.

I've noticed during the last couple of days, that there are hardly any smugglers (gunslingers and scoundrels) on my server.

I'm sure this varies from server to server though.

In my last sitting, I only met two smugglers out of the whole population!

So, SMUGGLERS, play as them, we're a dying race! if you're sitting on the fence wether to role as one or not, go ahead!!!

SMUGGLERS RISE!!!

This was true on my server, but in the last 2 weeks, they have been everywhere!!! Worst part is.. man of the new guys, are oblivious.

I've noticed during the last couple of days, that there are hardly any smugglers (gunslingers and scoundrels) on my server.

I'm sure this varies from server to server though.

In my last sitting, I only met two smugglers out of the whole population!

So, SMUGGLERS, play as them, we're a dying race! if you're sitting on the fence wether to role as one or not, go ahead!!!

SMUGGLERS RISE!!!

EZ gear for you sir, don't have to roll against 5 different SI's O.o

Or, we can try out Tera and see what they have to offer (they have no stealther class so be ready to fight your way though mobs and GW2 stealth is only temporary).

Two non-sequitur mentions of some random game that has no relation to the mechanics or principles being discussed? In the same thread? In under 24 hours? Err... are you a volunteer advertiser, or is there money in it?

I mean, you need to better identify a sales pitch for your target audience. In advertising to smugglers, you're looking at people who prefer tactical combat situations where they have to outmaneuver and disrupt their opponents in order to maintain an advantage.

So you should try to appeal to how, in whatever game you're advertising, someone who thinks they are incredibly clever can do... whatever. Use the environment to their advantage, have the ability to reach into a bag of tricks to exploit the weaknesses in any particular gear/ability loadout--something like that.

The "I guess people are unhappy. You should try this instead!" isn't the best strategy I've seen to draw people in. That's why I would suggest that, if you're getting payed, they should hire me instead. With an hour of research, I'd probably do a better job.

Two non-sequitur mentions of some random game that has no relation to the mechanics or principles being discussed? In the same thread? In under 24 hours? Err... are you a volunteer advertiser, or is there money in it?

I mean, you need to better identify a sales pitch for your target audience. In advertising to smugglers, you're looking at people who prefer tactical combat situations where they have to outmaneuver and disrupt their opponents in order to maintain an advantage.

So you should try to appeal to how, in whatever game you're advertising, someone who thinks they are incredibly clever can do... whatever. Use the environment to their advantage, have the ability to reach into a bag of tricks to exploit the weaknesses in any particular gear/ability loadout--something like that.

The "I guess people are unhappy. You should try this instead!" isn't the best strategy I've seen to draw people in. That's why I would suggest that, if you're getting payed, they should hire me instead. With an hour of research, I'd probably do a better job.

WoW was fun for awhile, but it's too much of a gear grind at endgame. Rogues have far more abilities (though no healing) and Blizzard understands that the majority has a limited scope as far as balance is concerned. People whine about frost mages and rogues being OP, yet they fail to understand that these classes far from excel in high end PvE (at least the frost mage can respec arcane, the rogue on the other hand has to log in his warrior/DK/other excellent raiding class), so rogues being OP in PvP is balanced out by them not being good at raiding and heroics.

Also, GW2 and Tera are from two different companies. The warrior in Tera, while lacking stealth has fast attacks and great dodges, but his DPS is weaker than other DPS melee classes such as slayer (slayer and lancer I hear is where it's at).

What I'm trying to say is Bioware shouldn't pay too much attention to people who say operatives and scoundrels are OP because they were already weak in PvE pre-nerf, so naturally they should be strong in PvP to compensate for it.

"Use the environment to their advantage, have the ability to reach into a bag of tricks to exploit the weaknesses in any particular gear/ability loadout--something like that."

This describes the thief from GW2, and they even have a "steal" ability which makes them good in PvE too because they steal the mobs' weapons and uses them against them. And like any class can switch weapons in combat from pistols, to knives, to swords, to any combination of the two (knife/pistol, sword/pistol, etc.)

Edited by Agemnon

You can probably expect to see a few more smugglers running around nowadays. Personally I play both a Scoundrel and GS at 50 and don't feel they're overly lacking in anything but team mechanics at the moment (and sustained dps on scrapper scoundrels). With 1.2's buffs to GS, Sawbones, and Hybrid Scoundrels, you'll probably see a lot more people come back into it.

When I first heard of the smuggler class, I was convinced that was the class I was going to play. Once the game came out, that's the class I played, and I've done it three times now. I've tried other classes, but they just don't feel right to me. Even if they nerf the Smuggler into oblivion, I'm still going to be playing mine. They work for me. They feel right in how they move and what they do.

Smugglers forever. And scoundrel especially.

i have a GS main. i raid and wz regularly. im full rakata and full bm. my dps is good, but not so good to make up for giving up stealth and heals imo. also being stationary in pvp is hard to manage without a guard or a healer giving me some love. thankfully i must be pretty good on my GS as i usually get one or the other if not both.

before the 1.2 patch, i had my gear modded with power/surge enhancements and usually topped the damage charts at the end of wz's. since the patch hit and im forced back into accuracy on most of my gear, ive fallen to about 3rd on average. im sure once i get my WH set, and can again remod it to power/surge on the enhancements my damage will once again be frightening to my enemies. However, i will still need a guard or a healer to help me out since most of the imps on my server know me and target me quite frequently to take my dps off the board even if only for a short time.

for those saying GS is great defense, im just not seeing it. the things we have for defense are a joke compared to other classes. our dodge and shield only work some of the time against certain attacks and our CD on the aoe shield is way too long to count for anything. my guess is if you are not being run over regularly in wzs, you are most likely not much to worry about which why they arent targeting you.

i was waiting for legacy to roll my smuggler.... so once it went live now my Chiss Sniper has a twin sister Gunslinger.... no idea why people dont play the class, i find it really fun (maybe its because i am playing the mirror spec/ac of my sniper which I am already used to and liked a lot)

For me, there is no better class/spec than a gunslinger saboteur. I do not understand why so many people dog on the GS for PVE and PVP. As a Sab, I have the ability to kite, I do great AOE dmg in Heroics/Flashpoints and I own in world PVP as well as warzones. Right now I'm level 44 (almost to 45) and I own level 50 Sith Sorcerers in PVP. In fact, last night I was running one of those dailies on Tatoonie for the new Ragul Plague quest line and I stumbled right into a Sith Sorcerer. I have to honestly say that PVP fight easily ranks in my top 5 of all time if not top 3. He was really good and knew how to play his class and vice versa. The fight took 7 minutes before we both died at the same time...it was awesome.

I love PVP'ing with a Sab. Drop defense screen, shock charge, flourish shot (dmg + reduced armor 20%), vital shot (DOT), Sabotage charge, speed shot (to detonate shock charges), smuggler's luck, charge bolt, cool head (to get back energy), detonate sabotage (ends cool down of cool head), pulse detonator (if they are close) or flash grenade to stun them long enough to get an aim shot off, thermal detonator, charge bolt, charge bolt, thermal detonator, shock charge. From here it becomes an open script based on the situation.

By the time I'm through with that rotation I've laid down some serious dps on the Imp, refreshed my energy then ended the cool down of cool head so i can refresh my energy quickly. I thrown in some leg shots and move around a lot as well and any chance i get where they are near a cliff or on a bridge I try to use my pulse detonator to knock them off. One time when I was doing the void-star warzone, we were at the second set of doors and a whole rack of imps came running towards us by way of that bridge. I run up, went into cover and fired off my pulse detonator and sent 5 of them over the edge. It was awesome.

I've played every other class in the game and none of them are even remotely as fun as the smuggler-gunslinger-saboteur for me.

Smugglers (gunslingers in particular) have a serious lack of versatility.... And our DPS is not all that great, sure we can do a nice damage burst but it only last for a few seconds and then your out of energy and are helpless.... And the sad thing is our burst damage can be easily negated by 1 healer....

That's why nobody is playing them...

And we suck in PvP games like Hutball were Sorcs/Sages rule with their Force Speed and Friendly Force Pull..... Smugglers have no useful skills in Huttball...

It really depends on how you spec yourself. I have gone with a hybrid spec, I can't heal but I can do plenty of damage and I haven't had an issue with running out of energy. that's what Coll Head is for, and if you add points to your talent tree for it then you get a little baby healing bonus to boot. My gunslinger hasn't been the easiest toon to get use to. at first I was actually kind of regretting my smuggler. But i stuck it out and I learned the smuggler play style. If you need to equate it to another type of toon think of it ore as a hunter or a ranger from other MMO/RPG's. Not neccesarily the most important, but you know when they are there

As a level 50 scoundrel I like being the only one. Especially the only healer scoundrel.

I have always noticed that there are more scoundrels % at the lower levels 1-30 or so. It appears that people get bored and abandon them before they finish leveling.

I personally hope no one ever plays scoundrel so bioware will be tempted to buff it.

Edited by jonmcooper

When I first heard of the smuggler class, I was convinced that was the class I was going to play. Once the game came out, that's the class I played, and I've done it three times now. I've tried other classes, but they just don't feel right to me. Even if they nerf the Smuggler into oblivion, I'm still going to be playing mine. They work for me. They feel right in how they move and what they do.

Smugglers forever. And scoundrel especially.

I feel the exact same way. The smuggler is the only class I can level past 30. The rest I get bored with at lvl 20 and below.

I see the 15% speed boost under the talent Sneaky still (infiltrator being the mirror talent).

sorry not true. The speed increase only works in stealth. it basically improves your stealth speed, to normal out of stealth speed.