Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Something I've been thinking about

FredeGail

Hello guys.

First of, this has probably been either discussed or concluded by any chance, in that regard, sorry. Right so let's just jump right in to my question.

I've been playing since the beta-launch playing Jedi and now I embraced the Dark Side. Whenever you're Dark side or light, and use the dialog answering system, something odd came to my mind.

If you're a Sith, you're of course in this evil cult or group or whatever you want to call it, and it seems like, even if you answer a question or a sentence with something "good", or light side driven, you still seem to answer something "bad".

For instance, if you get to meet an Agent on the Empire that wants you to hand over this datacron or something, and he says, "Please, can you give me the Datacron?", and you answer a fairly reasonable light sided answer, you press for instance, "Yes", and then he says, "Just take it already".

It appears that even if you want to go light side, you're still disturbed by the fact that there's evil words coming from your mouth even if you didn't want to.

Have you been wondering about this and do you think they'll make either Dark or Light answers more stereotyped?

Edited by FredeGail

No, I get what you are saying.

Even when you pick the light sided choices you are still a jerk about it in some instances.

I would have much preferred if they put the actual text of what you were saying instead of paraphrasing it, but its too late now and its kind of a minor detail.

No, I get what you are saying.

Even when you pick the light sided choices you are still a jerk about it in some instances.

I would have much preferred if they put the actual text of what you were saying instead of paraphrasing it, but its too late now and its kind of a minor detail.

I been thinking about it too, putting the sentences instead of small words or combinations. Sometimes the word you're pressing is something totally different than what you expected. It's only like this in some cases, but I can find it a bit annoying as I'm a big fan of Lore and Codex' and likes RP a lot.

No offense to OP, but everyone is trying to be that special snowflake with this side-changing nonsense.

If you want to be evil, play Imperial. If you want to be good, play Republic. This isn't a tabletop RPG with a million options, nor are you even carving your own path. You're playing a storyline already written for you, and it's in a narrow trench with few branches.

I been thinking about it too, putting the sentences instead of small words or combinations. Sometimes the word you're pressing is something totally different than what you expected. It's only like this in some cases, but I can find it a bit annoying as I'm a big fan of Lore and Codex' and likes RP a lot.

That's a Bioware thing in general. Play Mass Effect, dialog is like that everywhere. You pick an option thinking your character will say something along the line of what you selected, and he/she seems to say something quite different. This is obviously not in all cases, but there are several dialog options that end up like that.

Edited by Datamonger

It makes when you think about it....

If you are a Sith and you actually started acting like a Jedi, you would be killed.

From a story standpoint it makes sense that even a light driven Sith would have to *act* like a Sith, so as not to attract unwanted attention. There is no way a totally benevolent Sith would survive.

Edited by Rodane

It makes when you think about it....

If you are a Sith and you actually started acting like a Jedi, you would be killed.

From a story standpoint it makes sense that even a light driven Sith would have to *act* like a Sith, so as not to attract unwanted attention. There is no way a totally benevolent Sith would survive.

It's actually a pretty good point.

I don't know if Bioware had this in mind though, but it's a good point.

It's not that I really care about this, I just wanted to hear each and every one of you your opinion on this and if you're disturbed about it.

No offense to OP, but everyone is trying to be that special snowflake with this side-changing nonsense.

If you want to be evil, play Imperial. If you want to be good, play Republic. This isn't a tabletop RPG with a million options, nor are you even carving your own path. You're playing a storyline already written for you, and it's in a narrow trench with few branches.

This is a bit short sighted. The empire is not necessarily "evil" and the republic is not necessarily "good". You may be able to argue that about sith vs. jedi, but even that argument doesn't hold too much water with a little scrutiny. Even just within this game there are examples of good behavior on the empires part and reprehensible doings on the republics. They are political organisations, they don't have alignments, only self interests, and their morals only stretch as far as their self restraint. As far as a sith making LS choices, take the Inq story line. You're a slave forced into the sith order. Is it really that hard to imagine you might be a good person struggling to continue to be loyal to your own moral code?

Besides the fact the the game includes LS and DS choices, so obviously we weren't intended to only make DS choices as an imp or LS choices as a Rep, who are you to tell this guy how to play his game? No offense, but he's just making suggestions that would make his enjoyment a little better. Nothing wrong with that at all.

This is a bit short sighted. The empire is not necessarily "evil" and the republic is not necessarily "good". You may be able to argue that about sith vs. jedi, but even that argument doesn't hold too much water with a little scrutiny. Even just within this game there are examples of good behavior on the empires part and reprehensible doings on the republics. They are political organisations, they don't have alignments, only self interests, and their morals only stretch as far as their self restraint. As far as a sith making LS choices, take the Inq story line. You're a slave forced into the sith order. Is it really that hard to imagine you might be a good person struggling to continue to be loyal to your own moral code?

Besides the fact the the game includes LS and DS choices, so obviously we weren't intended to only make DS choices as an imp or LS choices as a Rep, who are you to tell this guy how to play his game? No offense, but he's just making suggestions that would make his enjoyment a little better. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Very valuable things in this post to think about.

All in all, play the game as you want to get your best enjoyment.

Thank you for taking your time to post this Revelationjp. :)

... You pick an option thinking your character will say something along the line of what you selected, and he/she seems to say something quite different. This is obviously not in all cases, but there are several dialog options that end up like that.

I found this happens occasionally as well on my Jedi Knight. If my character responded in a way I didn't expect or contrary to what I intended, I escape the conversation and do it again picking a different option that would be more appropriate.

The worst inconcistency comes up while you try to farm allegience of your companions.

One moment you act like an ******e and the other you suck up to any quest giver in need. A few days later you hate your hypocrite character so much that you even admire your companions for being so hard headed unlike yourself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.